calaisturbo.com.au

calaisturbo.com.au (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/index.php)
-   VL Turbo Discussion (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Factory Morning Blue SL Turbo never modified need opinions (http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=280136)

Katsa 19-11-17 17:31

Factory Morning Blue SL Turbo never modified need opinions

I'm in two minds at the moment, I've got a completely unmodified SL Turbo, apart from a changeover exhaust ( still factory size, but no kick up )
Interior is the best original interior I have ever seen with only a tiny mark in roof lining, factory radio still there and working perfectly, body is dead straight with minor surface rust and afew spots around Front/rear screen as usual, engine bay has nothing that shouldn't be there nor nothing missing. Car starts and drive fine, I've taken around the block afew times, car has original purchase receipt and afew other goodies. Really all that's needed is paint and it'd be an immaculate completely original Vl turbo
I swore I'd never sell this, my issue is this, I'm not keen on driving stock cars and I'm limited for space. I'm thinking of swapping for another genuine vlt, something modified even slightly so I don't feel bad for further modifying.
What would you do, keep the orig sl turbo, sell it, or swap it?
Only issue is space as I'm literally packed to the brim with cars and have no space, has nothing to do with money so don't care about "a stock car being worth more"

Julia_P 19-11-17 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katsa (Post 3074991)
car has original purchase receipt and afew other goodies."

Nice to hear, in the US where I am mostly things like original receipts and papers worth framing and can add a lot to value. I had same thoughts updating a Merc roadster with a drop in rb motor for more grunt but decided against keeping car stock since I want get up and go and more roadsters came on the market from east europe few years ago so who cares as stock cars dont have the grunt.

My thought is since your car is now around 30yrs old then it might be best keeping stock and with papers makes it worth more, some ppl put cars like that up on blocks and wait while driving others. The way economy is going for that in western world might be best as some like style over modern plasticy bling. I would have done same few years ago but, I like push and pedal mods and ppl I know have shown how the cheap RB motor will do wonders for my roadster and for other cars too

SIroller 20-11-17 11:18

hey chris.

if its original with books and has original duco and the engine and trim aren't buggered I'd send it for a high quality detail and leave it at that.

your value in an untouched car would be diminished by modification. selling or trading for something highly modified is a good idea.

that way you can cash out at a premium and buy a premium modified car whereas if you modify or restore the paint (other than a detail) you will have an in between car which will reduce value and you will have spent lots of money on mods.

returning to standard is good but theres something special about a car with lots of originbal bolts and paint dabs and the like.

there are people out there who will want it for a premium price. probably a different market than you have sold to in the past.

---------- Post added 20-11-17 at 12:20 ----------

thats the financially smart decision anyway. on the other hand you can just enjoy it and throw logic to the wind ;)

calaist5 20-11-17 14:09

I hope I don’t tread on too many feet here but this is solely my opinion.
I cringe when monetary value is highly conversed when talking cars.
As much as I love originality and don’t like seeing some modifications, that’s the owners choice and I respect that.

To me it’s a passion, couldn’t care if it’s worth $2000 or $200k
I enjoy it because it is what it is.

My advice is to do whatever makes you happy.

Katsa 20-11-17 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by calaist5 (Post 3074998)
I hope I donít tread on too many feet here but this is solely my opinion.
I cringe when monetary value is highly conversed when talking cars.
As much as I love originality and donít like seeing some modifications, thatís the owners choice and I respect that.

To me itís a passion, couldnít care if itís worth $2000 or $200k
I enjoy it because it is what it is.

My advice is to do whatever makes you happy.

Agree that's why I said has nothing to do with money lol
I just know how rare it is to find something as original as this so I don't wanna much about with it, but no guarantee the next bloke will keep it stock either.

Might have to go with Mitchams idea I think

calaist5 20-11-17 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katsa (Post 3074999)
Agree that's why I said has nothing to do with money lol
I just know how rare it is to find something as original as this so I don't wanna much about with it, but no guarantee the next bloke will keep it stock either.

Might have to go with Mitchams idea I think

Best piece of advice Iíve ever been given Katsa is that over time so do our ideas.

I may regret saying this but who knows if my interest in cars will still be there in 10 years (I hope it is)
My 20 year old self would kick me in saying that lol.

Cheers,
David

SIroller 22-11-17 14:53

dave - im with you on valuing a car.

however I have a very limited income and run my own business. I have one car thats a bottomless pit but the others i TRY to be conservative with. I'be been lucky in that most I have sold i haven't lost or i've only lost running and maintenance costs. (and normal depreciation)

a few like my VN and my corona I have probably come out on top (excluding labour costs.)

I'm hoping the VL's and the VN i'm building I wont lose any money on but they are 5 year projects most likely.

I aspire to always have my VL wagion but the rest I enjoy now and I have in the back of my head that life events may require me to sell a few off.

12maneym 22-11-17 17:46

pics of it? was it the one on ebay a while back?

Katsa 22-11-17 18:34

No it wasn't, I bought it from qld, wasnt advertised yet, I messaged the bloke if he wanted to sell.
If I can find somewhere to store a car or two until July '18 then there's not a chance I'll be parting with any of them and will just buy another

mattlads 22-11-17 20:16

i hate the fact that the last 20 threads that have been made are all about vls as investments instead of being worked on.

Katsa 22-11-17 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattlads (Post 3075023)
i hate the fact that the last 20 threads that have been made are all about vls as investments instead of being worked on.

That's just what happens mate, with people getting and making good money from these cars it's always going to be a topic of discussion, the good news for you is I'm making this thread to basically say if someone wants an unmodified(good investment) then I'm happy to swap them for a modified one as I am like you, I'd prefer a worked one that you can drive everyday, not one that sits in the shed collecting dust

deeno 22-11-17 23:14

Mate if money isn't a problem, and there's only 6 months or so between you keeping the car or selling it, do whatever it takes storage wise to keep it. Kennards storage it if you have to lol.

My only thought in keeping it would be you clearly love vls, and yeah maybe you like them better when they're pushing power but at least you won't get hassled for driving this one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Calais Turbo mobile app

Katsa 23-11-17 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeno (Post 3075026)
Mate if money isn't a problem, and there's only 6 months or so between you keeping the car or selling it, do whatever it takes storage wise to keep it. Kennards storage it if you have to lol.

My only thought in keeping it would be you clearly love vls, and yeah maybe you like them better when they're pushing power but at least you won't get hassled for driving this one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Calais Turbo mobile app

Yep, Chances are that's exactly what'll be happening unless someone comes up with a swap I'm keen on, you are also 110% about not getting hassled, another reason why I'd be keeping

12maneym 24-11-17 16:39

would you swap for an A9Y?

Katsa 24-11-17 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12maneym (Post 3075040)
would you swap for an A9Y?

Send us a pic or two and some info 0430 556 965, I'd prefer a sedan but happy to have a squiz

SIroller 27-11-17 14:00

fort knox gives new customers free storage for a month. get the fam to sign up one month at a time ;)

Boyracer 27-11-17 19:14

Would love to see a pic of the afore mentioned classic in its stock condition.

Katsa 27-11-17 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIroller (Post 3075050)
fort knox gives new customers free storage for a month. get the fam to sign up one month at a time ;)

Hahaha love your work mate!

---------- Post added 27-11-17 at 21:12 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyracer (Post 3075056)

Pm me your mobile number mate and I'll sms you afew pics, I've got no idea how to post em here now that photo bucket is being a fork

SIroller 29-11-17 08:44

facebook upload in a public album then copy image url and paste into the [IMG] [/IMG]

KALAY 29-11-17 19:35

you can upload to imgur

Katsa 05-12-17 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyracer (Post 3075056)

Sent you an email afew days ago mate

XEC747 05-12-17 20:57

I'm one for keeping it stock, purely based on the rarity factor.

Just look at old Datto's, Torana's etc that are rare enough to see driving as it is let alone factory paint.

Over the last few years I've seen a few cars where I've asked he owner if it has been restored to which they've replied no. This has impressed me far more than how much $$ they spent making it look factory.

In the end though it is you call as it is your car but you could easily by a busted up exec, modify it and drive that but where's the fun in that.