CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > VL Turbo Discussion
LSX Garage - Performance has a new home...

Old 06-02-03, 09:43   #1
jasoncngo
Player

Car: no car
Trader Rating: (21)
Send a message via Yahoo to jasoncngo
12.2sec Torana with VLT pretty stock engine proven.

Hi Guys,

My mate used to own a street registered Red Torana with the plates LXRB30L and it ran 12.2 sec on the 1/4 mile. He sold it for $14K recently.

It had a VLT engine in it and was awesome, I had the priviledge to take a ride in it and man it was like a jet taking off the runway, the rear twitched slightly sideways (LSD), you could hear the tyres screaming begging for mercy, eeerrchh, and we were off on the runway ready to take off, we hit the 200+Km/hr mark in a matter of seconds. :mrgreen: and when he backed it off you would hear the wooddtttt wooddt sound. It was a mad experience......boyz I thought I was in a boeing 747 taking off for Thailand or something.

I asked him what the hell was that (I was not literate about VLTs back then) he told me its the Intercooler. It made me want a VLT engine in my Berlina which I did do later down the track and now currently own.

Oh that night when I went home I saw two Rice boys racing each other 300Zx TT Vs Honda Integra, and I was at the lights. The lights had turn green and a VK turned right went through a red, the moroon in the black 300zx was too cool to look and hammer his car and guess wat happened ? BANG the VK straight into the 300zx clips its whole front right off !! I moved into the other lane and drove off hehehe.

If the guy in the 300zx looked and didnt take off quick he would have avoided the accident as I saw the c*nt in the VK miles away and knew he was going to the RED. I kinda **** myself 8O coz knowing only about 15minutes ago I was doing 200+km/hr :mrgreen:

Hes VLT engine had: Stock internals, Basically everything was stock except for the following; Fuel pump, slightly bashed up fuel regulator, Nizpro cam, Nizpro intercooler, beefed up Jatco Auto with kevlar + stall, Ford 9inch diff with 3.79-3.9 gears. Oh the Turbo was Hi-flowed and ran on 16PSI all day. Oh cold air induction straight from the street - mandatory for a machine like this :mrgreen: dont u think ?

Most of the work was performed by his mate Simon at Nizpro. Hes given me lots of tips :mrgreen: which are simple mods that will increase your engines performance. I might consider sharing it with you guys...ehehhehe

My topic hear is you dont have to do much or spend BIG$$$ to achieve a 12sec street car as my mate has proven it. I mean the 2 door torana maybe slightly lighter but if you are doing the 12sec bracket for a street car you are laughing :mrgreen: and grining...at all those V8s , rice mobiles, other VLTs watch out! ehehehehe

I want to build mine into a 12sec car one day by following his foot steps with the exact mods he did. I am getting there ehehehehehe. Just need a hammer to smack the fuel regulator to upset its flow :mrgreen: ehheehehe. Might just get him to mod my car for me hihiihihihi

Ciao :mrgreen:
Old 06-02-03, 10:27   #2
Timmy
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
WOW sounds like one hell of a beast!!! Well that is the reason why VLT are so popular even today because how how easyly you can squeeezzee more power out of them and achive some remarkable times without spending huge amounts of $$$
Long like VLT!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-03, 10:31   #3
aerovl
Player

Car: Subaru Forester XT, VN V8 Calais, 2 x VL turbos
Trader Rating: (10)
12's.

Your right,
you don't have the spend the earth to do 12's in your vl. But you still need to outlay a few $$$ for the quality parts. But do remember, the Torana is probably a lot lighter than the vl, so you will still need to make more kw's to produce the same numbers as your friend.

At the end of the day though in my opinion, If you want to go fast you need to spend money to do it right first time and for reliability.

I'm running 11's with standard bottom end and unported standard head just with a cam. Engine has over 220,000km's so I've saved a few bucks not needing forgies etc YET.

Cheers.
aerovl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-03, 10:37   #4
jasoncngo
Player

AeroVL tahts mad 11s

Hi Aerovl,

Wat mods did you do to achieve the 11s bracket ? Let me know mate... your beast must fly !!! :mrgreen:

Mods : ???

Awaiting your reply. Dont be shy mate :mrgreen:
Old 06-02-03, 12:24   #5
aerovl
Player

Car: Subaru Forester XT, VN V8 Calais, 2 x VL turbos
Trader Rating: (10)
Hiflow, cooler, link ecu, plenum, 036 inj, bosch pump.

Yarra Valley Jatco, 3500 stall.
3.89 gears

A couple of other little bits.

Very simple bolt on setup.

Optimax fuel, 19psi.
aerovl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-03, 23:08   #6
Red RB30 Jet
Player

Car: VL
Trader Rating: (8)
I have seen that red LX Torana hatch at a few car shows and I believe it was the same car featured in a Budget build ups magazine the guy who did most of the work was named Grant and came from Warragul way he had Nizpro advise him on a few performance tricks but in the magazine if it is the same car it says he useds a N/A bootom end just with a few bolt ons, it just goes to show how well the RB 30 is engineered.
Red RB30 Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-03, 11:51   #7
jasoncngo
Player

That is true, Grant is a good friend of simon at Nizpro. Hes got a BT1 Turbo engine for sale, he wants $2200 for it. I have his number too guys :mrgreen: heehehehe. Grant and simon at Nizpro did most of the work on the Torana.

It is a mad car bright red in colour. Yeh the bottom ends are the same on NA and VLT engines i think just different oil pumps. I could be wrong! Grant knows alot about VLTs. RB30 is a well engineering motor ahead of its time.

I know a tow truck driver, he told me hes seen VLs do 600,000 - 800,000 on the clock and still drives like new, and all the owners did was changed oil at 5000kms to achieve such mileage. So RB30s have proven to be almost boot proof!! :mrgreen:
Old 07-02-03, 17:22   #8
X-RB3-747
bye bye car

Car: sold
Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via MSN to X-RB3-747
jasoncngo they also have different pistons.
I've never seen a boot fall on a VL so I couldn't tell you if they are boot proof.
X-RB3-747 is offline   Reply With Quote