CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Feature Cars > In Progress
GRUNT Performance

Old 08-02-11, 22:40   #101
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Trader Rating: (22)
Re: internet, you could potentially use the iPod/iPhone mount for a tethering setup?
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 23:01   #102
EvilPet
Gold Members

Car: VL HDT AERO
Trader Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spdvl View Post
Re: internet, you could potentially use the iPod/iPhone mount for a tethering setup?
Absolutely on the money dude. I got the idea from GMs new incar entertainment accessory "OnStar" which uses your smartphone;

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...book-updates/1

Need to do a bit (actually a lot) of research on how the set up works and pros / cons / whether I can build an aftermarket setup or wait long enough to get one from a wreck.

Yeah ok, having your Facebook staus read out by your car is a bit of a W*** but to have the internet available for country driving / holidays to enable to look up places to stay, places of interest, phone numbers etc would be invaluable.

Based on what equipment it uses, I'll have to then figure out how to integrate it into my Kenwood.

Stay tuned....
EvilPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 22:12   #103
mji1973
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (1)
Well done mate, for some reason I've only just found this thread too - don't normally read this section.

Anyway, for future i think that if you use a speedo head from an auto, it already has a hall-effect sensor in it so that you can just grab your speed pick-up from it. Saves mucking around with the sensor on the tailshaft.

They use this for the auto trans ecu.
mji1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 22:44   #104
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

I guess you've also considered mounting a carputer remotely and running the various accesories off USB? I was toying with the idea of a ditching my head unit for a double DIN size touchscreen hooked up to a small motherboard in the boot for music (HDD) and internet access, using my phone (Nokia N900) as a USB modem.But I suppose that's not overly going along with your theme.

I did consider how you were going to integrate it with the Kenwood unit when I posted....good luck with that. =/
Old 10-02-11, 06:14   #105
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by mji1973 View Post
Well done mate, for some reason I've only just found this thread too - don't normally read this section.

Anyway, for future i think that if you use a speedo head from an auto, it already has a hall-effect sensor in it so that you can just grab your speed pick-up from it. Saves mucking around with the sensor on the tailshaft.

They use this for the auto trans ecu.
Already have an auto electrician who is willing to take the job on later in the year. BUT for now, Once we mount the revised LED with the correct polarity, I'm just going to just drive it for a bit then send her in for the update. The source code was written originally for a setup with magnets for a Pontiac Fiero. I want to get the whole setup working end to end first before deconstructing it.

---------- Post added 10-02-11 at 07:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spdvl View Post
I guess you've also considered mounting a carputer remotely and running the various accesories off USB? I was toying with the idea of a ditching my head unit for a double DIN size touchscreen hooked up to a small motherboard in the boot for music (HDD) and internet access, using my phone (Nokia N900) as a USB modem.But I suppose that's not overly going along with your theme.

I did consider how you were going to integrate it with the Kenwood unit when I posted....good luck with that. =/
The Kenwood has an auxillary input. Going to try and figure our how best to capitalise on that. but first just got to get the other bits done.
Old 20-02-11, 19:20   #106
ledouche
Player

Car: white vlt manual~~stolen~~
Highly interested in seeing how this will turn out, really cool idea, if you need anything lasercut drop me a PM, it'll just cost you for the postage if its a small item and i can get away with using scrap material.
ledouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-11, 22:27   #107
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledouche View Post
Highly interested in seeing how this will turn out, really cool idea, if you need anything lasercut drop me a PM, it'll just cost you for the postage if its a small item and i can get away with using scrap material.
Thanks for the offer - will keep it in mind.
Old 20-02-11, 22:42   #108
ledouche
Player

Just so you know, i can do up to 6mm MDF and Acrylic (the main materials we use) polycarb produces a nasty brown discoloration. For your application i daresay you'll be using acrylic. I can also etch at different depths, this pic should be a decent example

That center button was designed to replace the horn button, and is 5mm reverse etched acrylic.

We use Adobe Illustrator files. Good luck with the project.
Old 20-02-11, 23:02   #109
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Just so you know, i can do up to 6mm MDF and Acrylic (the main materials we use) polycarb produces a nasty brown discoloration. For your application i daresay you'll be using acrylic. I can also etch at different depths, this pic should be a decent example

That center button was designed to replace the horn button, and is 5mm reverse etched acrylic.

We use Adobe Illustrator files. Good luck with the project.
Awesome dude! Well, now that you say.....

there was a archway shaped plastic piece which fitted over the top of the Tom tom cover we're building.

Can I send you the original piece as a template for you copy in a glossy black plastic to etch this Holden symbol on it?

It needs to be on a glossy black piece of plastic that won't warp given it will be in direct view of the sun.

Here's the top of the Tom Tom holder. You can see where the black piece I want will fit over the "happy face".

I'd like the words "Holden Navigation" underneath the lion symbol.

Is this doable?
Old 21-02-11, 19:45   #110
ledouche
Player

yeah mate should be easy, all i need is:

outside dimensions for the shape + any radius's
and if there is a radius along the inside of your smiley face that needs to be taken into account also, as the acrylic i will use has a sharp 90degree edge

size/location of the holden logo

font/size of the text you want

acrylic is quite heat resistant so it shouldnt buckle under direct sunlight (same material most car lights are made from.

you can send the original part if you really want but if you can give me dimensions via internet it would be alot simpler

edit again: i think before i read you use corel draw, can you do up a quick 2 minute top view of what you want in relation to the symbol/text location and size?

Last edited by ledouche; 21-02-11 at 19:53.
Old 21-02-11, 22:08   #111
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
yeah mate should be easy, all i need is:

outside dimensions for the shape + any radius's
and if there is a radius along the inside of your smiley face that needs to be taken into account also, as the acrylic i will use has a sharp 90degree edge

size/location of the holden logo

font/size of the text you want

acrylic is quite heat resistant so it shouldnt buckle under direct sunlight (same material most car lights are made from.

you can send the original part if you really want but if you can give me dimensions via internet it would be alot simpler

edit again: i think before i read you use corel draw, can you do up a quick 2 minute top view of what you want in relation to the symbol/text location and size?
A mock up on CD I can do and will forward to you. the dimensions, well, may take a bit of time as I'm in the UK and the dash is in Perth. Have to get some help in doing that. Might just send you the piece so you have it exact to template.

I've tried to find that Holden Lion logo with Aussie flag online but can't find it - how would you get hold of it?
Old 21-02-11, 22:11   #112
ledouche
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPet View Post
A mock up on CD I can do and will forward to you. the dimensions, well, may take a bit of time as I'm in the UK and the dash is in Perth. Have to get some help in doing that. Might just send you the piece so you have it exact to template.

I've tried to find that Holden Lion logo with Aussie flag online but can't find it - how would you get hold of it?
my dashboard mate

actually, i lie, ive got a berlina dash, but ive still got the 1987 rear window sticker there to look at
Old 22-02-11, 04:27   #113
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
my dashboard mate

Actually, i lie, ive got a berlina dash, but ive still got the 1987 rear window sticker there to look at
cool!
Old 23-02-11, 12:59   #114
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Your username does not justify your work, ledouche.
Old 23-02-11, 21:03   #115
ledouche
Player

This is my cousins account i hijacked because he left it on my computer

im too lazy to make my own

<--- i dont live in seven hills but i do have a white vl turbo manual though

---------- Post added 23-02-11 at 22:31 ----------

btw can i ask what type of material you used for the surround of clock and digital speedo as im designing a boost gauge in the factory dash and shall post pics soon
Old 24-02-11, 00:25   #116
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:

btw can i ask what type of material you used for the surround of clock and digital speedo as im designing a boost gauge in the factory dash and shall post pics soon
I got this made up here in the UK by a company that makes instrument panels. I wouldn't know what material it is. Let me check the invoice as it may mention it there.
Old 02-03-11, 02:15   #117
VLWAGONIT
Gold Members

Car: Vlc wagon, 08 Husqvarna TE510, 89 GSXR 1100
Trader Rating: (20)
Send a message via MSN to VLWAGONIT
love your work mate. how much further are you looking at taking it?
Old 02-03-11, 18:24   #118
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWAGONIT View Post
love your work mate. how much further are you looking at taking it?
Post 100 lists all the work that needs to be done so I'm happy to take her to shows again.

Right now I'm waiting for the LEDs from China to finish off the digital speedo (they have to be made specially) and the Tom Tom dash is currently being done.

---------- Post added 02-03-11 at 19:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister.x View Post
just saying i love the idea bro, ive always thought it would be awesome to have all the features that a modern car would in the sexy body of a vl. e.g functioning air con lol
I actually wanted the climate control system installed BUT its a bit too onerous on time to figure it out right now. Then I'll have to re-design the panel piece etc. Maybe in a couple of years I'll sort it.
Old 04-04-11, 15:34   #119
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:

750 mic Gloss/Clear Polycarbonate
Old 08-04-11, 16:19   #120
VL.Calais
Player

Car: VL Turbo
Trader Rating: (0)
hey evilpet have you ever thought about getting a bluetooth set up in there
not a clip onto your visor one one that is intergrated into the ecu with a mic in the piller ect???
id love to try but i dont no where to start!!!
Old 08-04-11, 17:37   #121
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL.Calais View Post
hey evilpet have you ever thought about getting a bluetooth set up in there
not a clip onto your visor one one that is intergrated into the ecu with a mic in the piller ect???
id love to try but i dont no where to start!!!
The Kenwood KVT-526DVD does this for you and you can pair to your iphone.

I had a long discussion with my car stereo guy about the plus and minus about enabling the phone speaker via the car's speakers and decided against it. The way it works is that the music you're playing will volume down over the phone ringing.

Uncool if hot chicks roll up in the car next to you at the lights and mum calls on 2000w of speakers.....:-)

One thing I was thinking about is a hidden slide tray for the iphone but need to look where it would fit best and look like it "belongs". But for me, as a rule I never answer the phone when I drive so this mod is right at the bottom of the list. Have given it some thought though.
Old 08-04-11, 22:52   #122
VL.Calais
Player

Car: VL Turbo
Trader Rating: (0)
I was thinking more of a retro fit from a newer model commie that came with ' Bluetooth handsfree' I know that you can buy BMW kits from newer models to fit into older ones and its only a module with a speaker attached which you can place wherever you want.
I agree with not answering the phone whilst driving but on my phone I can block certain callers when its paired to a Bluetooth kit and it sends them straight to my voicemail.
Just wanted to know your thoughts on this aswell.
Cheers
Tom.
Old 08-04-11, 23:32   #123
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL.Calais View Post
I was thinking more of a retro fit from a newer model commie that came with ' Bluetooth handsfree' I know that you can buy BMW kits from newer models to fit into older ones and its only a module with a speaker attached which you can place wherever you want.
I agree with not answering the phone whilst driving but on my phone I can block certain callers when its paired to a Bluetooth kit and it sends them straight to my voicemail.
Just wanted to know your thoughts on this aswell.
Cheers
Tom.
Not having access to a new model commie (am in the UK right now), I would see whether the bluetooth is a separate unit from the car stereo - I was having a look at some cars over here and some GM models in the US and the Bluetooth is part on the onboard car entertainment system.

If it a separate module (like an after market) I would imagine there would only be a power and earth wire to connect.
Old 09-04-11, 00:28   #124
bj42turbo
Player

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPet View Post

A guy on Ebay sells them
bj42turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-11, 00:44   #125
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj42turbo View Post
A guy on Ebay sells them
I've seen it I think the rear window decal? "Australia's Driving Future"

It's on a curve unfortunately to be used as a template.