Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Feature Cars > In Progress
Tyres Now

Old 31-01-12, 12:53   #1
Red R VL
Player

Car: 9.4 sec street GTR
Trader Rating: (2)
Red R Racing Calais Turbo Wagon restoration/build

We currently have a Calais Turbo wagon in the build. This involves a new engine, some panel and paint work, tidy up of electrics etc.

The direction of this car is to have a sensible non obtrusive street car that satisfy not only the owner's performance requirements but also the authorities regulations in regard to emissions and compliance. Having recently completed a 30/25 in a GTS-t for another customer that runs a GT35R that had to be DECC inspected and tested,, as well as blue slipped we were familiar with what was required. The GTS-t skyline produced 450rwkw and passed both DECC and blue slip without any issue. This is pleasing to know you can actually build cars that have a high level of performance and are street legal. This is the direction most of our cars will now be built to if they are first and foremost street driven.

Pictures and details to follow. (how do i upload pics from my computer to thread)
Red R VL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-12, 15:07   #2
Yeti
UONP - Coming Back!

Car:
Trader Rating: (55)
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=146828
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-12, 16:47   #3
xAsh-
Official Member

Car: SL Turbo, Calais Daily
Trader Rating: (4)
Sounds good man, do you run a workshop in newy? might come down and see if you can help me out!

Sleeper build thread - http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=235527
xAsh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-12, 07:12   #4
Stray
Player

Car: HDT spec Turbo Calais Wagon; vx hsv clubsport
Trader Rating: (1)
And the owner couldnt be happier with the progress of the car so far!!!!
Stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-12, 07:20   #5
PROGMH

Car:
Trader Rating: (26)
What kind of things did you need to do to get a 450rwkw car to pass emissions testing?
PROGMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-12, 08:13   #6
Red R VL
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROGMH View Post
What kind of things did you need to do to get a 450rwkw car to pass emissions testing?
lots of R&D and a bit of E85 Sucrogen.

this is the car as delivered, as you can see its in quite good order and worth the time and effort.

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 09:19 ----------

The engine and bay before removal

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 09:21 ----------

out with the old!

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 09:22 ----------

the engine was sporting a few odd hoses, fittings, bolts stuck in ends of pipes etc as well as the usual VL wannabe apprentice auto electrician wiring repairs. But far from the worst ive seen...it was pretty normal stuff for a car thats seen a few klms and owners.

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 09:39 ----------

We coated these CP's in a thermal barrier on the crown and a teflon compound was applied to the piston skirts. We no longer use the gold crown coating as a better product has been sourced from the states and will be used on the valve heads and chambers on this build.

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 09:50 ----------

these locally produced conrods from Argo Engineering should be well beyond what we need but given their price are very hard to look past.

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 09:53 ----------

oiling duties are assigned to a Nitto billet oil pump and will be driven off a Nitto collar fitted to the crankshaft.

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 09:57 ----------

and will be drinking oil from our 8.5 litre custom race pan. These feature multiple trap doors, windage tray and mesh screens to ensure oil is constantly surrounding pickup.

more to come soon

Last edited by Red R VL; 01-02-12 at 08:27.
Old 01-02-12, 12:42   #7
shaun55
Player

Car: VLCT "GMH.10S" 9.5 @ 141mph
This all seems interseting. Im sure there are lots of Vl lovers in Newy, you should post up workshop contact details and address for further enquiry.

Shaun
shaun55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-12, 14:57   #8
Red R VL
Player

We rarely build full cars except our own racecar's but every now and then the right car and or owner comes along with something that receives a bit of extra attention. Engine building and specialty fabrication is what i mainly do. Due to my tuner being overseas we are not running a shopfront as such just concentrating on the engine/machining/coating side of things.

The majority of our work is from skyline owners through a number of workshops around the country that use us for their engine work. Our most notable builds are 9 sec. 1000hp street gtr "twoogle',the Nitto 1300hp GTR that runs on E85 as well as a few circuit based cars that compete at club level. Our latest project James West's R31 that has been leading the timesheets on its way to this years Superlap event at Eastern Creek.

As you will see the VL interest focus' on restoration much more than wild modification and the RB30 engine not only in the holden chassis but other cars as well. I have a need to one day build an RB30 stroker fitted to a 1/2 chassis S13 and seeing how much boost, methanol and nitrous it can eat.

anyway enough about that, lets get on with building this car...

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 17:08 ----------

an example of some of the restoration work that i have done on this car are the genuine GMH headlamps, the photo shows the difference that can be made to an item that may have thought to be beyond repair. Yes these headlights are the pair that were removed from this car with one done to show the result. Sure you could bolt in some TYR items or pay big money for some NOS items if they could be located. The headlight shown was transformed in about half an hour and is now good as new.

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 17:10 ----------

here is the throttle body after a full stripdown and restoration, all parts here are 25 years old. Note the red paint dots have been applied as per factory.

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 17:23 ----------

the radiator gets the once over as well, stripped, leak pressure tested and the correct coating re-applied.

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 17:33 ----------

now the engine bay had a couple of major issues, namely being butchered to fit cooler piping through the inner guards. Contrary to what the police may tell you (in NSW anyway) this is not an illegal defect if done correctly. There are clear instructions in the RTA light vehicle modification guidelines on how to modify the sheetmetal to allow piping to pass through. We have on other cars done this and passed DECC and RTA certification and inspection without issue.

Clearly the previous owner was nabbed for this and rectified the problem by bogging a paint tin lid over the passenger side hole and part of a street sign under almost an inch thick slab of bog on the drivers side straight over the rust

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 17:36 ----------

all rust was cut out and inner guards stripped back to bare metal

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 17:42 ----------

the passenger side proved particularly difficult as it has some contours pressed into the section involved. Now as a panel beater i make a fairly decent engine builder but i thought id have a red hot go at trying to replicate the factory shape. So i went and took a quick snap of the area under the airbox on my red berlina.

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 17:46 ----------

now that i had something to use as a reference i then turned towards one of my wife's metal baking dishes that featured a corner very similar to what i needed. A bit of cutting and a quick tack weld in with the tig and i was getting somewhere close.

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 17:49 ----------

then the thinnest smear of body filler over the new metal to obtain the finish required for priming.

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 17:52 ----------

bit of primer and a touch more filler to smooth inside of small semi circle to finish

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 17:55 ----------

turned out better than id expected but not the sort of work id look forward to if i had to do it everyday. I have a new found respect for the guys who do this for a living

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 17:59 ----------

here is the other side done

more to come soon
Old 01-02-12, 17:43   #9
4BNSLY
Gold Members

Car: VL calais v8 project neverending vt ss 5spd
looking bud anymore updates
4BNSLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-12, 18:05   #10
Red R VL
Player

all primed and given a few hours of 1000 grit rub down. At this stage my hands are screaming at me to give up.

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 19:18 ----------

now finally the 1st colour coat is applied. This is the 1st time ive used a spray gun to paint a car. Normally i just use 4 rattle cans of colour and 2 cans of clear made up at the auto paint supplier when doing an engine bay. Many hours of youtube spray painting tuition preceeded the moment i finally thinned the paint and fired up the compressor. More hassle than its worth for just an engine bay with lots of mess, noise, adjustments etc not to mention overspray clouding the suburb and covering everything with a fine Alpine White haze.

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 19:19 ----------

another angle

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 19:21 ----------

the finish of the first coat of colour off the gun wasn't too bad.

---------- Post added 01-02-12 at 20:24 ----------

clearcoat really brought out the gloss and this is straight off the gun without cutting or buffing.

Last edited by Red R VL; 01-02-12 at 20:41.
Old 02-02-12, 09:55   #11
Stray
Player

The pictures tell the story well. I am stoked with how this is coming together and couldnt recommend Red R Racing highly enough.
Old 02-02-12, 11:20   #12
Andy-30L
Official Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray View Post
The pictures tell the story well. I am stoked with how this is coming together and couldnt recommend Red R Racing highly enough.
dont wana be rude but may i ask the appoximate cost of this build??
Andy-30L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 16:30   #13
Red R VL
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-30L View Post
i dont want to be rude either but lets just say this sort of work, as im sure you realise, having a build underway yourself, involves many hours of labour intensive work. Every car that we do i see as an advertisement for the quality of work and attention to detail that we pride ourselves on. Not all the costs are passed on to the owner as when their car is handed over they are a rolling advertisement for the work that we do. Subsequent work always follows these cars from word of mouth etc. So we do invest a little in the car as well. Given the fella that Stray is and the car he has brought for us to work on it makes it an easy decision to take this car to a level it deserves.

Put simply the cost is substantial but reasonable considering the work done.
Old 02-02-12, 18:36   #14
dinch
Player

Car: BLACK CALAIS TURBO
Trader Rating: (0)
this is coming along greAT man hats off to the panel beating attempt looks near factory spec
dinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 19:47   #15
BUD
ICEMAN

Car: VL berlina x2
very nice mate im looking for wagon to do myself as well as my sedan but this is very nice
BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 20:20   #16
Red R VL
Player

ok lets see some go fast goods now that the engine bay has been freshened.

The head was given a full port job with most of the work done around the short turn radius and seat transition. Very little material removed but finished with the necessary texture to assist atomisation and swirl. This is important as we will be running E85 which requires a greater volume of fluid entering the cylinder (around 30% up on petrol) Apoligies for the sketchy phone pic but it doesn't do close-ups real well. Terry then gave it one of his custom seat jobs and recut the valve heads to suit. Quite good gains are made just from the seat job.

---------- Post added 02-02-12 at 21:28 ----------

a lower base circle high lift and duration camshaft and uprated spring package were fitted and lifter blocks machined to give correct preload to the fully stripped and reco'd genuine lifters. The chambers and valve heads were then thermal barrier coated with the latest tech coating sourced from the states. All studs replaced along with new seals and plugs

---------- Post added 02-02-12 at 21:37 ----------

The turbo chosen was a GT35R mounted on a customised factory manifold via a spacer to ensure adequate clearance issues and to keep it low mounted. A 50mm Turbosmart external wastegate sits on top of the manifold and both turbo and gate are each fitted with custom stainless dump pipes.

---------- Post added 02-02-12 at 21:40 ----------

the rocker cover got a fresh coat of wrinkle red to give it an as-new appearance.

Last edited by Red R VL; 02-02-12 at 20:33.
Old 02-02-12, 21:53   #17
Stray
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-30L View Post
cost is all relative, what may be alot to some may be not alot to others etc. Im glad im a position in my life that I can now afford to own and build a car doing things right the first time, having previously bought and owned high performance cars that i really couldnt afford im glad now i can. Golden rule, do things on the cheap and you'll do them twice.
Old 02-02-12, 22:15   #18
Althoats
Player

Car: R31 Silhouette GTS1
yum
Althoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 23:01   #19
Richo11
Did someone say 2?

Car: Calais Wagon
Send a message via MSN to Richo11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray View Post
cost is all relative, what may be alot to some may be not alot to others etc. Im glad im a position in my life that I can now afford to own and build a car doing things right the first time, having previously bought and owned high performance cars that i really couldnt afford im glad now i can. Golden rule, do things on the cheap and you'll do them twice.
Couldnt agree with that comment more! Great build mate.. look forward to seeing the progress on this one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEP_boost
All these rumours are only because Charles is gay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIXIE
Bathe me,matty
Richo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 07:56   #20
Red R VL
Player

add a multi-layer metal head gasket, re-zinc all the plated factory bolts/brackets, a new timing belt and balancer. It all is starting to take shape.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 03-02-12 at 09:00 ----------

---------- Post added 03-02-12 at 09:02 ----------

Last edited by Red R VL; 03-02-12 at 08:00.
Old 03-02-12, 08:38   #21
Richo11
Did someone say 2?

Car: Calais Wagon
Send a message via MSN to Richo11
Looks great! Is it expensive to get all those things zinc plated? Looks a lot more factory than painting it! What did you do to the plenum/runners to bring them up like new?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEP_boost
All these rumours are only because Charles is gay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIXIE
Bathe me,matty
Richo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 11:01   #22
Red R VL
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo11 View Post
Looks great! Is it expensive to get all those things zinc plated? Looks a lot more factory than painting it! What did you do to the plenum/runners to bring them up like new?
The plenum and runners are coated with a clear protective layer that goes a dull yellow colour with heat and oil contamination as well as age. This is removed with paint stripper, i find the Diggers brand works the best. The lot is then sprayed with a Hydrofluoric acid solution that reacts with the aluminum and begins to eat the top layer off. The acid is then neutralized with water which will take care of the surface brightness. To ensure no residue continues to react a water dispersant/penetrant is used (WD40 or CRC will do this job fine). This is important as Hydrofluoric acid will penetrate deep into the casting and needs to be neutral. It does exactly the same thing to your skin and body which can cause significant personal injury without you being aware until its too late, yes it will kill you. I did learn this lesson early last year when i was critically injured in an accident involving Hydrofluoric acid that has left permanent damage and i am very fortunate to be here typing this . http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...ious-accident/
Please do not use Hydrofluoric unless you are aware of the dangers and the procedures that need to be followed when using it.

Last edited by Red R VL; 03-02-12 at 17:43.
Old 04-02-12, 14:08   #23
88wagon
lucky vlct wagon owner

Car: 88 calais turbo wagon, vy ss wagon, vl na calais wagon
Trader Rating: (11)
Send a message via MSN to 88wagon
cant wait to here more about this im in the process of doing the same thing to my genuine calais wagon along the same lines..
can i ask what sort of power you are expecting to be pushing with this setup? and what other supproting mods like computer and fuel system etc your going to be running?
cheers chris
88wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 14:18   #24
88 Chaser
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (20)
Looks fantastic, but could you please try to find a factory overboost valve, bring it back to new and fit that? So much nicer than a bung, especially when the effort has been made to make it so much like factory.
i'd eat dog sh1t on a stick if it had fresh garlic on it
88 Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 18:12   #25
Red R VL
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88wagon View Post
cant wait to here more about this im in the process of doing the same thing to my genuine calais wagon along the same lines..
can i ask what sort of power you are expecting to be pushing with this setup? and what other supproting mods like computer and fuel system etc your going to be running?
cheers chris
Hey Chris, the power this same spec engine combo has made before has put a sedan VL into the 9's at the strip. So should be enough power to get Stray around the place on the weekends he wants to give it a run. The fuel system will feature a twin 044 undercar surgetank fed by a Pierburg intank pump. The factory rail will be twin feed and be centretap regulated and fitted with 1200cc injectors (low impedance peak and hold). All controlled by the ViPEC ecu we have chosen to use as we have found it just as accurate as the much more expensive MoTeC ecu. The MoTeC clearly has the wood on the ViPEC as far as data acuisition and analysis goes (we changed our racecars ecu from ViPEC to MoTeC for this reason only) but does not run the engine any better (the ViPEC seems to run the engine a tiny bit smoother and idle control is again marginally better). So it was really the only choice when running a car that will spend the majority of its running life on the street.