CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Regional Events > New Zealand > For Sale & Wanted - NZ ONLY
JD CUSTOM

Old 17-02-09, 08:52   #1
Rollin
2 extra cylinders...

Car: 1987 Calais Walky V8, Caldina GT-T daily, 1992 Honda Ascot Innova and a beach buggy!!
Trader Rating: (1)
WTD: Electric windows switch cluster

Hey all, does anyone have one of these they are willing to part with?? The main switch cluster that sits in the centre. If it makes a diff its for an 87 Calais 6.

Cheers
Tama

Last edited by Rollin; 17-02-09 at 09:25.
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-09, 14:46   #2
calais3L
Player

Car: VL Royale, VSII Calais Supercharged V6
Trader Rating: (0)
These are the same from VB-VL, if that helps your search for a second hand one. to be honest most second hand units are either knackered or close too it. last time i bought one new they were not too pricey. just food for thought.
Old 18-02-09, 05:26   #3
Rollin
2 extra cylinders...

Car: 1987 Calais Walky V8, Caldina GT-T daily, 1992 Honda Ascot Innova and a beach buggy!!
Thanks man. Where did you get yours from new?? I found one on rare spares for $607.70 and was like FAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK THAT!!!!!
Old 18-02-09, 07:03   #4
madrx3boy
Gold Members

this place in oz called electric life makes window switches for the early Commodores. same size and everything, the only big difference is that each switch you can pop out individually if it craps out, rather than buying a whole new unit. I saw them in a S/C mag. but they want $200AU for it tho.

or you could replace them with switches from a VN-VS, you'll have to modify the centre console a bit though I think.

Im replacing mine with ones from a vectra, very similar to Commodore ones except the front main switches are in one unite (the VN-VS has 2 seperate units side by side, one for left windows one for right)

Well I think thats how the VN-VS's are, just going by my mates VP here, can anyone confirm this? cheers
madrx3boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-09, 07:31   #5
Rollin
2 extra cylinders...

Cheers dude, i didnt wanna have to fart ar$e around with chopping wires etc. Just wanted to be able to unplug one and plug in another. Is there much modification needed for the vectra one to fit??

Ive emailed electric life. See what they say...

Last edited by Rollin; 18-02-09 at 07:34.
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-09, 08:20   #6
madrx3boy
Gold Members

the vectra one (and also the two VN-VS front ones) have a smaller area than the early Commodore front switch box. I know for sure they're narrower, dunno about length ways tho.

So you'll probly have to cover up the hole with a sheet of plastic (like a plastic ruler for example) underneath, fill up the rest with bog and smooth it off and paint it. then cut the correct size hole in it for the new switch. only prob with this is that the bit round the switch is smooth, while the rest of your centre console will still be the original rough stuff. (unless you wanna smooth the rest of it off or you might have already done this).

or you could do what I might do, take the centre console from a model without electric windows (eg berlina, executive) and cut a whole in that. saves the need to bog anything up.

Im not sure about the wiring tho, havent looked at it myself yet, plugs might be the same but if not you'll have to do a bit of a wiring job. shouldnt be too difficult tho.

cheers, Sam.
Old 18-02-09, 08:34   #7
Rollin
2 extra cylinders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrx3boy
or you could do what I might do, take the centre console from a model without electric windows (eg berlina, executive) and cut a whole in that. saves the need to bog anything up.
This sounds like a better idea!! LOL. Im not opposed to doing a wiring job but just figured at the end of the day itd be easier just to get a straight replacement till i saw the $$$ of 1!!
Old 18-02-09, 08:53   #8
madrx3boy
Gold Members

the vectra and later commodore switches also have backlights (LEDs i guess) in them for at night (hooked up to the headlights) so you may want to run an extra wire for that, shouldnt be too hard tho just find one from your dash - i guess the one that powers the lights behind the air-con switches should work?

Plus the later model ones have one touch driver's operation (meaning you dont have to hold the button down - you just click it once), as well as kiddy lock on the rears

if you really wanted to, you could use two drivers side ones from VN-VS, so that you get one touch operation on the passenger's side (i cant remember if the kiddy lock switch is on the left part or on the driver's part, if it is on the drivers part, it means you could lock each rear window seperately)

Last edited by madrx3boy; 18-02-09 at 09:27.
Old 18-02-09, 09:45   #9
SIKVLT
why are you reading this?

Send a message via MSN to SIKVLT
Manual windows FTW haha ...................
SIKVLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-09, 09:50   #10
Rollin
2 extra cylinders...

Might have to look into the VN-VS thing i think... Just got email back from electric life. they are 160$ + 20$ AUD postage.

Mike - yea manual windows might be good but im a lazy ar$e that likes to be able to push a button instead of leaning across the car to wind the window down. Then again, I wouldnt have any of this trouble...

At the end of the day i think its 'Stop being a lazy prick' FTW!!! LOL
Old 18-02-09, 10:00   #11
SIKVLT
why are you reading this?

Send a message via MSN to SIKVLT
ha true I had nothing but trouble with my calais ones aswell and to be honest the electric ones are going to be hard to maintain and get parts for in years to come
SIKVLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-09, 15:52   #12
Simkiwi
Player

Car: Tryin hard to do up a VL Calais but in the meantime, my trusty Nissan Navara
Send a message via AIM to Simkiwi Send a message via MSN to Simkiwi
Hey...theres a guy in Australia that recos them....i had him do one for me a couple of yrs ago......i will try and locate his email address for you
Simkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-09, 06:53   #13
hsvsmurf
(HDTVL)

Car: Group A VL #160
Send a message via MSN to hsvsmurf
You can repair them to a point it depends on whats gone wrong with it aswell.
I do have a spare unit somewhere but I cant remember if its any good lol
hsvsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-09, 07:46   #14
Rollin
2 extra cylinders...

^^^ If you could dig it up man that would be cool. Its not hard to unplug and test it...
Old 22-02-09, 16:55   #15
Simkiwi
Player

Car: Tryin hard to do up a VL Calais but in the meantime, my trusty Nissan Navara
Send a message via AIM to Simkiwi Send a message via MSN to Simkiwi
Rollin - Jet-6 from Victoria...his name is Matt. I am sure he is the bloke. I sent my broken one to him nd he repaired/replaced it for Aus$80 which i think from memory included the postage. I have sent him a message just enquiring that it was him but if you want to check yourself, there is an email addy for him on his profile...hope it helps, Mike
Simkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-09, 18:06   #16
gasguzler
Player

Car: 1987 VL Royale
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrx3boy
this place in oz called electric life makes window switches for the early Commodores. same size and everything, the only big difference is that each switch you can pop out individually if it craps out, rather than buying a whole new unit. I saw them in a S/C mag. but they want $200AU for it tho.

or you could replace them with switches from a VN-VS, you'll have to modify the centre console a bit though I think.

Im replacing mine with ones from a vectra, very similar to Commodore ones except the front main switches are in one unite (the VN-VS has 2 seperate units side by side, one for left windows one for right)

Well I think thats how the VN-VS's are, just going by my mates VP here, can anyone confirm this? cheers
yeh my vs ss was like that
gasguzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-09, 06:19   #17
Rollin
2 extra cylinders...

Sweet, thanks guys!! Ill have fresh air for my passengers in no time!!! LOL