Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Readers Rides > Other VLs
Calais Turbo Advertising

Old 16-05-16, 15:00   #1
HEADBANGA
Player

Car: 87 VL Berlina Wagon
Trader Rating: (0)
Nana's old VL Wagon

Hey guys. I'd like to share my daily driver with you.

This is my 87 VL Berlina Wagon. I inherited this car from my Nana before she passed away.

ENGINE: RB20E
TRANSMISSION: 5 Speed Manual
DIFFERENTIAL: one-wheel-peeler
ODOMETER: 234000

Since I got the car I have applied a few mods . . .
  • Changed wheels
  • Removed resonater from exhaust
  • Changed exhaust tip (half of a fire extinguisher )
  • Added bonnet struts
  • VR/VS door pods added for 6" speakers (Tweeters in the dash instead of 4" speakers)
  • Shortened gear shifter
  • Changed steering wheel
  • Changed Head unit
  • Amp and subs fitted
  • Hooks fitted to rear seat belt bolts for tying down loads in the boot
  • 6x9s fitted in boot

After the passenger side door mould peeled off just enough to jam in the guard and snap when my mate opened the door, I decided to remove all of them and re-apply them after a re-spray. as you can see some of the paint was ruined while trying to remove what glue was left.

I have plans for the future . . .

I scored some VR/VS leather front seats. They'll go in once I tidy the leather up a bit and get some S2 rails.

My dad found a Group A front bumper at a dump. Unfortunately someone tried fitting driving lights and mesh in it so it's gonna need some work.

I also got given a full Group A kit by my cousin. His car ended up in a ditch so it needs fixing too.

I swapped a corolla for another VL Wagon with an RB30E and extractors that I'm going to fit to my VL. It came with plenty of spares too.

Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions!
HEADBANGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 11:29   #2
ZOO222
Gold Members

Car: 1988 Vacationer
Looks like itll keep you busy. Keep updating man
ZOO222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 20:29   #3
philby
Gold Members

Car: AVL 6
Trader Rating: (9)
Looks Good but get a carpet shampooer and give that interior a clean!
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-16, 21:03   #4
SIroller
CAL.415

Trader Rating: (52)
very cool man. im pretty sure that parts wagon has apv wheels on it. they were an aftrermarket mob which was primarily made up of ex hdt employes.

anyway good project be sure to ask any q's!
Old 08-07-16, 10:23   #5
HEADBANGA
Player

Thanks for the comments guys.

@philby: That is the plan but I'm working on fitting some sound deadening under the carpet first.

@SIroller: Hmmm I didn't know that. I thought they were just regular GTS wheels off a VN or something. Do you have any more info on them? How can I verify what they are?
Old 08-07-16, 11:52   #6
SIroller
CAL.415

Trader Rating: (52)
wheres the build update photos!!

just scan through some old mags or google up apv vn commodores. you'll see the rims.

Old 08-07-16, 17:57   #7
Antho
Certified Wise

Car: 2 x VL Calais Turbo, VL Berlina Turbo, 2 x Ford Explorer V8, Subaru Forester GT, BMW 325i M Sport
Trader Rating: (74)
I spotted the wheels too but it only has 3...

Do you have pics of front seats in the VL the trim is different
Antho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-16, 13:24   #8
HEADBANGA
Player

Update!----------------

So I gotta apologize straight off the bat as I've been absent from both the forum and working on the car. I've had a lot happening over the last five
months. (Wow, has it really been five months?!) I've had trouble finding the time and funds to do the work I had planned with the car and seeing
newer posts than my original post progressing so much faster gave me the kick in the ass I needed to get stuck into it. So here we go . . .

We did find the time to get the rust removed from around the windscreen and get the windscreen replaced. There wasn't really much choice as the
warrant of fitness was due and the windscreen had a massive crack behind the rear-view mirror.

The rust was worse than I thought it would be once we took out the windscreen out and it became clear that one patch wouldn't cut it.
My Dad and uncle worked on it for me, both having a lot of experience in panel beating. It ended up needing three patches along the bottom and
the entirety of the top of the windscreen being cut out and replaced. The end result was great. The repaint didn't match quite so well but I'm not
too bothered by that. I'd like a fresh coat of pant for the whole car later anyway.

My new workmate is going to sell me some new wheels. They're similar to the current ones but they're 17 inch and easier and cheaper to find tyres for.
I just have to find some centre caps that fit ROH wheels.

They look MAAAAAAD!!!!

A Hare (Like a rabbit, but a giant mutant version) ran out in front of my car while I was sitting at 100 km/h. The bottom of the bumper was smashed off.
It sucks, but its good too, because I'd have to cut that piece off to fit the group A front spoiler anyway so that's happening. My dad is gonna teach me
some fiberglass skills so I can mount it.

But until then . . .

Replies!----------------

@SIroller: Sorry It's late and not very substantial, but here you go! Also I looked it up and they are indeed the same looking wheels:
https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...9e&oe=58DF06F3 (Off an APR VL turbo apparently)

If you had any idea of how I could verify if they're legit or not, I'll look into them. I'd be selling them though; they're a bit small for my taste.

@Antho: We have a set of 4. One tyre was flat so a steelie took its place. Plus a hubcap for a laugh.

Are you referring to the trim in the blue VL?