User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Technical Articles
JD CUSTOM

Old 11-09-07, 11:14   #51
E-Z
token giraffe guy

Trader Rating: (15)
Send a message via MSN to E-Z
whats this midnight black paint, is it just a pressure pack? every time i have polished pressure pack paint it rubs off.
E-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-07, 17:01   #52
NSNPWR
Gold Members

Car: 8th Gen Civic...VLT BT1 mock up uleh : /
Trader Rating: (23)
The Brand is PowerPlus and has never rubbed off on me. Its extremely glossy without clear.
Old 11-09-07, 18:25   #53
CLNGMH
WHITEY

Car: NM Pajero & KTM300
Trader Rating: (39)
great thread darren, i gave this "FORWARD" it to my painter today, cheers mate...
Old 25-10-07, 18:18   #54
JET-5LT
Player

Car: Handivan
Trader Rating: (0)
this is interesting...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VL-CALAIS-TUR...QQcmdZViewItem

let's wait n see.
JET-5LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-07, 19:10   #55
VLT-025
Liquer/Poker

Car: They have 4 wheels and aren't making me rich
Trader Rating: (25)
We'll see. I've had and seen dealings with him before. He's on this forum, and a bit excitable. Could be good though, he's definitely into rare VL parts.....and making money from them
Old 26-10-07, 18:41   #56
Bealzy
UG Hip Hop extrodinaire

Car: VLCT + TD Hilux
ive been makeing replacments for a while!
come with end caps to put on the tail lights, made out of vinyl.
worth $60, pm for any other details u need!

Updated photo's - plastix seems to work at polishing it to a mirror like finish, i only had a go at it for a couple of minutes, im sure with xtra elbow grease it would go crazy!

Last edited by Bealzy; 27-10-07 at 11:24.
Bealzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-07, 19:09   #57
VLT-025
Liquer/Poker

They look good man. Are they as dull as the photos look though? Could they be polished up with some plastic polish? That was my main gripe with the rare spares repros

Great photos by the way

Last edited by VLT-025; 27-10-07 at 00:38.
VLT-025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-07, 00:22   #58
SII_Turbo
People read these?

Car: with wheels
Trader Rating: (17)
on mates account: dunno man, what should i use to attemt such a mission? they are fairly shiney anyways, the freshness helps probably.
SII_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-07, 00:33   #59
VLT-025
Liquer/Poker

It's just that smick genuine ones are glossy as. If they aren't, you can restore the shine pretty easily. Meguires plastix works for me. The rarespares ones are dull and real difficult to polish up.

It would be interesting to see how yours react to this process. If you get a chance, chuck one on an old garnish and give it the meguires treatment, maybe even with a 2000 grit wet rub first and show us the result. If it comes up glossy, you'll have the best sticker option for sure. You'll sell tonnes!
Old 27-10-07, 09:05   #60
Bealzy
UG Hip Hop extrodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLT-025
It's just that smick genuine ones are glossy as. If they aren't, you can restore the shine pretty easily. Meguires plastix works for me. The rarespares ones are dull and real difficult to polish up.

It would be interesting to see how yours react to this process. If you get a chance, chuck one on an old garnish and give it the meguires treatment, maybe even with a 2000 grit wet rub first and show us the result. If it comes up glossy, you'll have the best sticker option for sure. You'll sell tonnes!

Already sold a heap bro check my trader rating lol - ill pop down to the shop n grab some 2000 n plastix polish this morning, what else do u use the plastix polish for?
Old 27-10-07, 09:05   #61
Bealzy
UG Hip Hop extrodinaire

Quote:

Already sold a heap bro check my trader rating lol - ill pop down to the shop n grab some 2000 n plastix polish this morning, what else do u use the plastix polish for?
Old 27-10-07, 09:06   #62
Bealzy
UG Hip Hop extrodinaire

Quote:

EDIT: wow, managed to post this 3 times -0 can a mod remove the unessary one's please!

Last edited by Bealzy; 27-10-07 at 09:10.
Bealzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-07, 06:42   #63
Waughy
Gold Members

Car: VZ Exec V6 A4 Wagon.
Trader Rating: (11)
Started mine yesterday, found the sticker was lifting in too many places, and with this the grey lines were peeling off the sticker and staying on the garnish in heaps of places, and the ones one the edges where it had lifted had worn off, so I cracked the ****s and pulled it off. Had bought a so called replacement from ebay, only to find it's just the stripes, I'm thinking I may be able to get the garnish painted and ready, then put the lines from this sticker on, then clean the old grey lines and glue from the back of the original sticker and hopefully glue it back on the garnish so the new grey lines fill the gaps left in the priginal sticker. That's the theory anyway. thought about sticking the grey lines to the sticker first, but the way it's made is the same as the calaisturbo stickers, you peel off one side of the sticker, then you have the sticky side to put the sticker down, then pull the top layer off, so I can't put the lines on the sticker first. If that doesn't go to plan I'll just look at buying the proper replacement sticker, which I've seen on ebay as well, going for $80 plus postage. Or, I have noticed the black lines on the sticker don't come off, so I could just get some grey paint and paint the underside of the sticker so it shows through in the clear spots, not sure how well it will glue down though.
These ones claim to be non vinyl and have a UV resistant coating, and look quite nice fitted. Are these the same or different to yours Bealzy?

Oh yeah, snapped my badge getting it off too, was stuck on pretty well. Bugger. More money i don't have.

Last edited by Waughy; 12-11-07 at 06:48.
Waughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-07, 08:05   #64
VLT-025
Liquer/Poker

Those new $80 ones on ebay look great. If you want an aftermarket badge, I've got 2 here I'll sell you cheap
Old 12-11-07, 08:28   #65
Waughy
Gold Members

Yeah they look very good. My garnish in is excellent shape too, not a mark on it. It's been cleaned up and had 3 coats of the bumper primer on it, might start on the midnight black tonight. Was looking to finish with a clear coat as I'm lazy when it comes to polishing. just need to sort these stripes.
How much are you asking for the badge? Any glovebox badges?

Fuck it. Had it looking all nice with about 4 coats of midnight black. Thought I'd give it a clear coat to shine it right up and give it some protection. Got some acrylic lacquer, UV resistant stuff, high gloss, blah blah. Sprayed it on, it dulled the absolute shit out of my garnish. It has a slight shine, and I hit it 3 times with some meguires polish but it's made next to no difference. Any ideas, or am I stripping it back and starting over? Might just fork out for a Rare Spares one, my stripes and badge are both stuffed so it's going to cost me nearly as much to restore now, and it will be partly aftermarket bits now too. Christ, was going so well.......

Last edited by Waughy; 15-11-07 at 18:45.
Old 15-11-07, 20:34   #66
NSNPWR
Gold Members

Car: 8th Gen Civic...VLT BT1 mock up uleh : /
That midnight black dont need clear...you could now try wet rubbing it with 2000 and then a heavy cut man, i'd do that before stripping it!
Old 15-11-07, 21:06   #67
Waughy
Gold Members

OK, I'll see how I go, the clear was more for protection as it's meant to be UV resistant. I might just rub it back and go another couple of coats of midnight black, then just polish it up.

Just reading the can, it says after 24 hours to polish it with a cutting compound and then polish to get the shine, so I may still be safe. See what happens over the weekend, should get time to attack it. Have to wait for stripes too so may need to chase a plain garnish for the time being, can't drive the car without one, looks too gay.

Last edited by Waughy; 15-11-07 at 21:41.
Old 15-11-07, 21:34   #68
UWNTM3
..UWNTM3 Coming Soon..

Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via MSN to UWNTM3
im doin mine atm but im doin it in 2pac gloss black and i just undercoated it in 2pac prima today will finsih it soon hopefully
UWNTM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-07, 05:36   #69
VLT-025
Liquer/Poker

I had a painter do a black one of mine in 2 pac. As long as you prep it nicely the result is amazing
Old 07-12-07, 18:44   #70
griffo18
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (12)
Strips

???

Last edited by griffo18; 18-12-07 at 22:32.
griffo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 15:19   #71
Waughy
Gold Members

I just bought a set from another of that guys auctions, $80 fucken bucks I got stung for. A great item anyway, absolute bargain at that price.
Old 04-01-08, 23:04   #72
griffo18
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (12)
The Best Way To Restore That Garnish !

how are you ..... (1).... in cleaning the garnish is to remove that calais badge you will find there are two little pins located that go threw the garnish with two clips on the pins at the back, removing that is some what easy (be carefull) when you remove those clips of the pins the badge does not just come off some have double sided tape as well , the easiest way i found to remove that badge was using a nife and slide under the name badge around the edging slowly cutting away the glue (DO NOT CUT TO FAR IN REMEBER THOSE PINS ARE ON THAT BADGE) SO U HAVE TO BE CAREFULL NOT TO SLICE THEM OFF BUT YOU WILL FEEL THEM .....slowly start lifting edge bye edge up each corner then in the centre ist important that you do the outside edges first as you have some play in the badge when u try and lift it up in the middle.....

(2)......remove that old fadded garnish strip its very easy to come off it will lift up then break in pieces but will be the easiest part to get off then the badge...

(3) ..... using prepsol just clean down that surface so theres none off that 20 year old double sided tape still on there.(MAKE SURE U DO NOT RUB PREPSOL ON THOSE CHROME LINES THERES OR SILVER LINES IF YOU RUB THEM WITH PREPSOL THE WILL COME STRAIGHT OFF)...

(4)..... cleaning the garnish for that mirror look using maguires car polish there is a plastic polish in that brand but i use the((( car polish))) it gives a far better shine and can remove some of the scratches as well...simply just have on hand about four rags and some good old windex as well rub in araes with the polish but make sure when ur getting in doing that polishing you dont polish in one area for two long u may burn the plastic , so just on and off using one rag to polish a clean rag to remove..repeat that process about four times over the whole garnish ,,,,dosnt matter about where the strip is going obiously...you will notice a clean surface appearing usind windex spray on the garnish in areas and wipe off and repeat then hit it once more with that car polish and your done it will be a mirror !!!!! garunteed...OH WHEN USING THE WINDEX AND THE POLISH PLEASE ONCE AGAIN NOT TO APPLY ON THOSE CRHOME LINES AT ALL...APPLY UR STRIP AND THE RESULT IS WOW EVERYONE WILL THINK THAT YOU HAVE JUST PURCHASED A BRAND NEW CALAIS GARNISH !!!!!!!

Last edited by griffo18; 19-04-10 at 12:01.
griffo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-08, 19:43   #73
KALAY
Fear is exciting for me

Car: VL Calais
Trader Rating: (4)
yeh, when i done mine, i used plastix, and its come out like a mirror, in my opinion, paint it, the bootstrip and the rear eyebrows doesnt give it the same factory look
with plastix because its not very abrasive, you may have to go over it quite a few times
KALAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-08, 20:36   #74
coastvl
ATMO6

Send a message via MSN to coastvl
There's enough info here for now. Read it, do it, love it.
Good night.
Old 22-10-10, 09:43   #75
madrx3boy
Gold Members

Trader Rating: (0)
Sorry for digging up an old thread,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSNPWR View Post
1xLarge can of black bumper primer (brand I used was Motospray)
might seem like a stupid question, but can anyone tell me if VHT Bumper Paint will be ok to use for this? Just that I can't find such thing as bumper 'primer'?

thanks heaps everyone
madrx3boy is offline   Reply With Quote