User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Technical Articles
G-Cylinder

Old 26-10-10, 14:28   #76
NSNPWR
Gold Members

Car: 8th Gen Civic...VLT BT1 mock up uleh : /
Trader Rating: (23)
No, it will be dull and look sh1thouse any primer will do really....
Old 26-10-10, 15:01   #77
madrx3boy
Gold Members

Trader Rating: (0)
Haha seeing as you made this thread I'll take your word for it cheers bud
madrx3boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-10, 19:23   #78
madrx3boy
Gold Members

Ok so I followed the steps as outlined, laid about 4 coats of the bumper paint on and it was looking really good (I'm doing this for my Calais boot mould/eyebrows), let it dry overnight and today rubbed it back with some 1500 grit so it was pretty smooth.

Then did a couple coats of the power plus midnight black and now it looks like ar$e, it looks horribly like its from a spray can, and its rough as guts, probably the texture of 300 grit sandpaper, or rougher even. So I don't think the cutting compound will get it smooth and shiny like a factory finish, or will it?

Just pretty confused as I used the same brand topcoat, yours NSNPWR is looking really shiny and smooth after the topcoat yet mines only sort of shiny and really rough. Any ideas on what to do?
Old 15-12-10, 21:38   #79
NSNPWR
Gold Members

Did you shake the can well? Dont apply it too far away from the surface or it will come out dry/dusty/rough which sounds like yours is...
I put my coats on pretty heavy and it was glossy as you can see in the pics...not sure mate, only thing I can suggest is rub it back and have another go...oh wait, did you use 'Bumper Paint' or 'Bumper Primer' first coz its the latter you need...the 'bumper paint' is a textured finish...
Old 16-12-10, 05:28   #80
madrx3boy
Gold Members

I used VHT Bumper Hood and Trim Paint, but that stuff when on smooth as, the finish was almost as good as new but just a bit dull (not shiny).

And when I used the Midnight black I just held it at the normal distance, about 20cm away. and yea i did shake it well.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the 2 paints reacted (being different brands maybe there's an inconsitency somewhere. So yea might just try rub it back and give it another go.
Old 17-06-11, 14:01   #81
VL-86-92
Official Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Just thought i would post up the pictures of my garnish i did following these exact instructions

Before:

After:

Really looks amazing after the reco. I would recommend it any day, cheap and easy and gives the rear a brand new look
VL-86-92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 14:58   #82
mister.x
Player

Car: VL Calais, M35 250t Stagea
I know this is a very old thread but I thought that it may be a valuable thing to add.
I bought an ebay "aftermarket reproduction" sticker for the calais a while back, went to fit it today the thing is ****ed. I highly recommend cleaning your old one as has been done and stay away from dodgey ebay sellers.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VL-CALAIS...2c7fb8d&_uhb=1
mister.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 17:34   #83
DIMAZIVL
Player

Car: Corolla (Daily) VL Calais, Torana
Send a message via MSN to DIMAZIVL
Just to confirm. For the sticker, hit it with the 3M Perfect it compound, then the Autoglym super resin polish?
DIMAZIVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-14, 12:23   #84
NSNPWR
Gold Members

Yeah man, or any good strong cutting/rubbing compound and any good finishing polish/sealer...
Old 06-11-16, 21:13   #85
Tim747
Player

Car:
Im considering doing this to my boot lid mould. It already hads the badges off it. Autobah has Motospray Spray On Bumper Prime 400G - In a spray can form. Do a search on google, you'll see what product Im looking at as I can't find the black bumper primer stated to use but this should do fine yes?

Also before applying the black primwr I need to mask off the top stickered section with the sticker on it or off it? With thw sticker off right? And it's covered by tape to protect the silver lines yea?
Tim747 is offline   Reply With Quote