CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Technical Articles
LSX Garage - Performance has a new home...

Old 07-07-07, 17:38   #1
VL 88 WA
Don't buy it, Build it.

Car: p.o.s. mitsubishi ute, subaru liberty sti, BMW 740IL
Trader Rating: (7)
How To: Build A Custom Parcel Shelf (Fits 4 Speakers Without Modifying Metalwork)

When i first posted pictures of my car there was a fair bit of interest in my custom shelf. I now Build and sell these and can tailor them to pretty much any car and any speakers (even put a tv in one) but a lot of the people who showed interest in these are interstate so i figured i'd post this up mainly for you guys and save you a bit of postage $$$ (too heavy to post).

This process is ideal for those of you lucky enough to have a walky, Brocky or BT1. Because when your done what you have is effectively a box, it can be removed easily and will not affect any of your stock trim or metalwork you dont even need to drill a single hole in the actual car to fit it.

The Final cost will be around $150ish for raw materials, and it takes 2 days minnimum to make one properly.
It will fit 4 speakers (more if you like) and because it will end up effectively being a padded box it will not rattle and will sound excellent.

[Note: Just out of interest i showed that top pic^^ to a trimmer and asked for a quote to get this done "professionally". I was told $500 minnimum. so for those of you who are prepared to sacrifice some afternoons building it this is a great way to save some of those dollars.] most of the steps of this process can also be applied to door pods and door trims.

Sorry about the crappy pics. i'm building some more of these in the next few weeks and i'll take some propper progress pics then. most of these pics are from the first one i ever built.

[EDIT] All of The pics have now been updated.

What you will need:

Materials:
* Fiberglass resin and catalyst (I used about $50 worth, depends how thick u want it)
* Cloth (fiberglass cloth is pricey, I recommend Polar Fleece as it is flexible, absorbent and thick)
* MDF Fibreboard. at least 10 mm thick and you will need about 2 parcel shelves worth. (around $25 a sheet from memory)
* Foam Roll (about $10 from spotlight, this is optional)
* Nails and/or screws (thin, sharp and long to suit MDF)
* Araldite.
* Cloth (Whatever colour/finnish you want. i used black stretch suede for this example)

Tools:
* Jig-Saw.
* Staple Gun. (gun is a lot easier and faster but a normal stapler will do the job)
* Paint Brushes (get a few cheapies you will probably destroy one brush per coat of resin)
* Beer.

Process:

1. Get the standard parcel shelf out of the car and trace it to make a copy out of MDF (this is thicker and stronger plus you dont want to destroy your standard one. Make sure this new shelf fits neatly around your seatbelts and does not press too much against your back seat when fitted. if you want 6x9's like mine you will need a couple of small holes where the stock ones are for the magnets to sit through.

2. Cut out some speaker mounts from the rest of the MDF for your speakers to fit in. These can be whatever shape you want(depending on what speakers you want in the shelf and what you want it's final shape to be)

[Note] The speaker mounts need to be edge sanded to the desired angle so thast they sit firmly on the shelf when you nail them in.

3. You will now need the speakers you are intending on fitting. If you want 6x9's they will need to be located above where the standard speakers would have been (because unless theyre shallow-mount speakers the magnets will need to sit in the standard speaker holes) 6" speakers you can pretty much put wherever you want. just on a slightly sharper angle.

4. Whilst the shelf is in the car trial fit your speakers to make sure of 2 things
1. You need the speaker magnets to clear the inside of the shelf
2. you need the shelf to clear the rear windscreen.
Take into account you will have another 5mm or so of cloth, foam and fibreglass when its finnished. If you have or want to have rear venetians i recommend having them in when you do the trial fit. (I didnt do this and i had build myself a new shelf later to fit my venetians in)

5. Once you have done a trial fit you will know what angle your speaker mounts need to be on, So chop up some wedges from the offcuts of MDF and glue/nail them in place for support. Once you have the frame complete, put a few more nails in and strengthen it with some glue or fiberglass (i just used a bit of sikaflex on mine to aoid vibration)

6. Now you have your frame, you are ready to cover it. Use a layer of removalists cloth first (sound deadening). Staple it firmly in place AROUND the speaker mounts and then stretch the polar fleece over it. (This will end up being the inside layer and will help to insulate your box and improve the sound you get from it) Stretch the polar fleece evenly over the frame, whatever shape the fleece sits in will end up being the solid shape of the shelf, you will also have to staple it inside the speaker holes (but try not to get any resin here)

One layer of cloth is usually plenty for this type of application. Double layering is neccesary for sub enclosures.

The left box is covered and finnished, the right has just been glassed and trimmed.

7. Next trim off all the offcuts of cloth and fit the speakers, do another trial fit in the car and make sure it still all fits up nice. If there are any bits sticking out on the edges of the shelf they can be cut off with sharp scissors but do this before the resin is completely set. Once the fibreglass is set the whole item will need some sanding to make it nice and smooth before it is covered.

8. whip out the spotlight foam roll and roll it out over the shelf. (this step is optional. Depends if you want your shelf to be soft or hardon the outside. stretch it tight and go crazy with the stapler so that the foam sits firmly over the shelf. (once again you must also staple inside the speaker holes. Get the leftover foam and staple or glue it to the bottom of the shelf, Because The shelf will be held firmly in place by the rear windscreen seal and rear seat you dont need to bolt it down. the foam on the bottom of it prevents it rattling at all on speed bumps or if you have subs etc.

9. Finally get the material you want it to be finnished with, This can be anything you like, you can match it to your bodywork or to your interior... either looks good. the covering on this example is straight off the shelf at spotlight and its called Black Stretch Suede. Once it's covered, trim off the excess, mount up the speakers and throw it in the car.

This is what they look like from outside the car (mine is covered with grey vynl)

The final product will sound awesome, will not vibrate at all and of course it looks pretty smart...
And best of all, it is completely removable and there's no cutting or modifying of any or your stock parts and no chassis defects.

[EDIT] I also now build door pods with a very similar process and they come out pretty good too.

I hope this thread comes in handy and saves some of you some money.

And Those of you who aren't game to give it a try, pm me for details and i will make you one.

Last edited by VL 88 WA; 02-10-07 at 01:21.
VL 88 WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-07, 07:48   #2
Westie
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
awesome as
when i get some spare time ima give that a go
thankz for guide
Westie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-07, 17:45   #3
NOM4D
Player

Car:
shmick looking.
i have the same sorta thing in my vl
just used straight mdf and a plane though
yours seems simpler
top effort!
NOM4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-07, 18:58   #4
VL 88 WA
Don't buy it, Build it.

Yeah i've done a few door trims and gauge pods etc. By filing multiple layers of MDF and it looks cool as, you can make much more complex shapes with fiberglass, it's more expensive but sounds better and weighs less.

Plus there's the added bonus of it acting like a ported enclosure rather than a shelf. I find you get a much higher quality sound from rear speakers if you protect them from being pushed by the subs.

PS. I'm making one of these for a customer in the next few days so i will update all of the pics then.

Last edited by VL 88 WA; 17-07-07 at 19:02.
VL 88 WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-07, 00:13   #5
raczy
Player

Car: 2011 Nissan Navara ST-R, Toyota Aristo 2JZ, CBR Blade
what would u charge for one like this in a vs?
Old 18-07-07, 01:13   #6
VL 88 WA
Don't buy it, Build it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raczy
what would u charge for one like this in a vs?
pm sent
Old 18-07-07, 21:55   #7
matt_11
Player

Car: vl wagon trb mdl and a vl sedan also a trb mdl!
Trader Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL 88 WA
pm sent
Yer i mite be interested in one for a vs aswell?
What sort of figures?
Thanks
matt_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-07, 02:31   #8
SLIKVR
Player

Car: 1992 VP calais
me too but for a VR
same thing i spose tho lol
SLIKVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-07, 22:20   #9
chinabone
Player

Car: Vp Aero,2x R32
Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via MSN to chinabone
they look so awesome i made a speaker pod up awhile back just for screwing round c how it worked didnt turn out to bad at al.
definetly contemplating makeing up a shelf
chinabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-07, 01:07   #10
VL 88 WA
Don't buy it, Build it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIKVR
me too but for a VR
same thing i spose tho lol
pm sent

I have just finnished building up a fresh one of these for a customer so all the pics have now been updated
Old 23-07-07, 08:08   #11
duff
big mac snack wrap ftw

wow, that looks crazy!
duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 17:36   #12
Peakn
Player

Car:
thats grouse, great work. what the sound like?? is there any rattling.
Peakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-07, 23:56   #13
VL 88 WA
Don't buy it, Build it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakn
thats grouse, great work. what the sound like?? is there any rattling.
Sounds amazing mate,
At Full volume it's stupidly loud, you have to tune the rear amplifier down a little so it ballances with the fronts but there's No distortion and No vibration inside the car at all.
The 4 rears push enough air alone for a really decent sound... Unless you listen to a lot of Drum and Bass, You won't even need subs.
Old 02-08-07, 22:01   #14
HecticVLt
Player

Car: Green Vl Turbo w/ calais Front, Sitting On some 19" Dolce dc-06 Rims
Send a message via MSN to HecticVLt
hey mate they look nice bro, would u ever think bout making 1 for a Vl and sending it to tasmania?? pm me
Old 16-01-08, 10:31   #15
fun269
Player

Car: vl turbo project
pm sent
fun269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-08, 10:58   #16
PSIWOG
Gold Members

Car: Audi
Send a message via MSN to PSIWOG
great thread mate !
Old 17-01-08, 00:45   #17
CHEETR
BANNED

Car: SMC feature car.VT LS1 6speed on 22z in the build,daily VX berlina LS1 Gas research slapped on 20"sigs
Trader Rating: (6)
how on earth to you get the vinyl to stick around the grooves?

in my experience vinyl is very hard to stretch and keep down.

just interested on your tecnique?
CHEETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-08, 01:23   #18
VL 88 WA
Don't buy it, Build it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEETR
how on earth to you get the vinyl to stick around the grooves?

in my experience vinyl is very hard to stretch and keep down.

just interested on your tecnique?
LOL yeah it's nasty stuff to work with...
I use a heat gun to make it stretch (or a bloody good hair dryer), Some expensive contact adhesive to keep it on the curves and an industrial staple gun to keep it in place whilst the glue dries
Old 03-05-08, 23:38   #19
Danny_Boy
MYGMH-6

Trader Rating: (9)
nice work, im thinking about soing something like that in time. ii just wanted to know if you had trouble vith the venetians rubbing the custom shelf etc
Danny_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 10:12   #20
KALAY
Fear is exciting for me

Car: VL Calais
only thing i would do is to have each speaker in a seperate compartment
KALAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 14:18   #21
SYD_VL
Player

Car:
What a great write up.

I've started this prooject myself, had a weekend outside on the balcony jig sawing, planning, sanding, you name it...

Had many interruptions along the way by Cans of Bourbon but I'm very happy so far with what I see.

Along the way I've also added a few new tools to my collection.

1 Makita Planner
1 Heavy Duty Staple Gun

and few other bits.

Will let you guys know how the finished product turns out.

Also I'm interested in the 6" front door pods, similiar construction methof for them?
SYD_VL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 14:35   #22
VL 88 WA
Don't buy it, Build it.

[danny] if you want venetians the box has to be measured up and test fitted with the venetians in the car. otherwise yah it will rub.

[mad wog] yeah sealed compartments is a good idea but you wouldnt have to isolate each speaker, just seal the whole box or split it in two. because the only thing that really needs isolation is the high range which is coming from sealed units anyway. low range can just become mono in the box.

[SYD VL] good luck with it man, pm me if u have any dramas and post up some pics of the result.
i'll track down the process pics of the door pods. (yes the method is very similar but you have to take into account all the clearance issues to allow the door to close and there a bit more complicated to mount as well.)
Old 05-05-08, 20:22   #23
SYD_VL
Player

Car:
ok guys, got a bit of a question. maybe not the best place to put it but here it is:

I've test fitted my 6x9s into the custom made parcel shelf, everything fits like a dream, it clears the parcelshelf metal work of the VL.

However does the strong magnetic force of the back of the speaker on the body of the car have any bearing on the sound quality. Let me just confirm no part of the speaker is touching the bodywork.
SYD_VL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-08, 17:39   #24
VL.Calais
Player

Car: VL Turbo
hey mate could you post up a pic of the door moulds in the car thanks.
Old 13-05-08, 19:31   #25
VL 88 WA
Don't buy it, Build it.

syd VL nah mate, your sound quality wont be damaged by metal being close to the magnet, your only issue is if you have a larger magnet nearby with the poles opposed so you have nothing to worry about.

VL.Calais here's pics of the gear in my car.