User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > VL Non-Turbo Discussion
G-Cylinder

Old 02-05-04, 22:26   #76
on19sVL
Player

Car: VL commodore on 19inch rollers
Trader Rating: (0)
Has anyone put a Nizpro plenum on a rb30e before? Because it sounds like it would help alot. Ive been told it increases your mid-range torque. But, i have also been told they are not cheap.
on19sVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-04, 11:36   #77
MacoVL
BANNED

Car: 150kw 87 exec N/A VL.
hey guys i have found another thing that might help get a bit more KW outta ya rb30e... simple disconnect your power steering and air con. this has been told by me by a few ppl but i havent actually confirmed it.
MacoVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-04, 18:20   #78
JuZi
Official Member

Car: '88 Blue VL Series 2 Exec
Send a message via MSN to JuZi
maco yes this is true but ur gonna struggle 2 steer without ur power steering and it doesnt effect the car much unless ur turning ur wheel but yeh aircon is a good thing 2 disconnect, should make a fair difference.
Old 31-05-04, 18:28   #79
Series2VL
Player

Car: Black/Charcoal S2 VR
Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via MSN to Series2VL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuZi
maco yes this is true but ur gonna struggle 2 steer without ur power steering and it doesnt effect the car much unless ur turning ur wheel but yeh aircon is a good thing 2 disconnect, should make a fair difference.
how do you actually disconnect it? Cus my air con carked it a while ago and needs to be regassed, but seeing that costs a bit i never could be assed fixing it so i might aswell disconnect it hey?
Series2VL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-04, 18:36   #80
rover
Player

Car: nissan boosted
Trader Rating: (1)
ur air-con shouldn't sap power unless its turned on. just take the fan belt off to unhook it.
rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-04, 18:43   #81
OldGold

Car:
Trader Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacoVL
hey guys i have found another thing that might help get a bit more KW outta ya rb30e... simple disconnect your power steering and air con. this has been told by me by a few ppl but i havent actually confirmed it.
I heard if you remove your water pump too, max KW to be had there!
OldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-04, 19:21   #82
RaZ_TuRbo
ex-raz.30t

Car: Blown 360 Dodge ute,Misubushi galant GSR Husky 570smr motard.
Trader Rating: (5)
air con is for prissy metrosexual doochebags.i ripped it out and just plugged the hose holes up with plugs from a vl boot(you know those rubber plugs!) fits striaght in.. p.s it would be sick to go to one of those drag meets..calder/willowbank..anyone know when the next one is on?
Old 04-06-04, 09:34   #83
OldGold

Car:
Trader Rating: (12)
So what, your power steering/aircon is going to sap like 2-3 kw (Unless your aircon is on), that's like the difference between you taking a dump or not before you get in the car.
OldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-04, 18:46   #84
SYKO3L
OHH HERRO

Car: The Petercopter
Trader Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGold
So what, your power steering/aircon is going to sap like 2-3 kw (Unless your aircon is on), that's like the difference between you taking a dump or not before you get in the car.

hahahaha...everyone is gunna start takin dumps b4 they drive lol
SYKO3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 03:16   #85
nIsMo86
Player

Car: 92 R32 GTST, 86 VL
Not sure what kinda figures my car runs as have never taken it to a drag strip but it goes pretty hard....it had 2 1/4 exhaust with resonator...pacemaker extractors...80mm CAI...stock timing...gutted out cat...new VL fuel pump from holden.
I crashed it awhile ago and have been doing bits and pieces since then and am yet to drive it properly as its unregistered but when i took it 4 a lap around the block it was definately improved...i changed power steering over to conventional steering...removed air con...increased CAI size to 100mm from 80mm...removed backseat...put in AFM and removed rear mesh...new leads and plugs...new oil and filter and thats about it...it beat alot of things on the road and am looking forward to getting it back on.
In regard to A/c and P/s removal u lose a bit of weight with all hoses and the 2 compressors and the a/c radiator at the front...Dunno what kind of food uve been eating Old_gold but i've definately never taken a dump the size of my A/c compressor...Ouch!

Last edited by nIsMo86; 02-07-04 at 03:20.
nIsMo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 03:29   #86
BillyMako
Gold Members

Car:
Trader Rating: (3)
add a vaccum cleaner and connect the pipe to the throttle body, have vaccum in reverse lol
BillyMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 03:50   #87
nIsMo86
Player

ur car looks like its already got a vacuum billymako...IF that is ur car in the pic...turbo is an easy fix in my books
Old 25-07-04, 01:20   #88
wollow
Player

Car: '96 VS berlina
Send a message via MSN to wollow
Can anyone gimme some quick directions on doing a cold air intake for my 87exec VL? Will doing this make the exaust note different? Already runing extractors and 2inch(wanna go to a 2.5 with big arse tip). Also going to change timing to 17deg and (possibly) remove the mesh from the AFM (cant afford 2 **** it up, i got no money).
wollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-04, 03:18   #89
nIsMo86
Player

depends what kind of cai u want but this is what i did...bought some 100mm piping and 45 degree elbow piece from mitre 10...cut it to size i wanted so it sat just at the bumper line...took out airbox...sealed up original intake hole with duct tape...drew and cut 100mm hole in bottom of airbox with drill and hacksaw...make sure 45 degree end of piping fits in hole tightly...then used hole in bottom of airbox to draw out line on metal under airbox...cut with drill and hacksaw...then spray intake piping whatever colour u want...let it dry...stick it in then put a big cable tie around end that sticks slightly into bottom of airbox...then silicone under cable tie on inside of airbox and on the bottom side of air box and ur done...would show u a pic but dont have one atm....this setup has been used on 4 different vls and works better than then 90 degree bend style one that sits behind bumper as there is less bends and less piping,hence less restriction...hope that helps

p.s also putting a bell end or flare on the end of the piping would make it better but havent attempted doing it yet myself....good luck.
Old 25-07-04, 03:25   #90
nIsMo86
Player

btw it may make ur exhaust note different as its getting in more air but i didnt notice it on mine cause i had cai b4 the exhaust and extractors...u'll hear the air rush in sound tho...i reckon if u gonna take the mesh off afm u should only take off the back mesh(engine side) cause from what ive heard, the front mesh displaces the air giving the afm a better reading...i took the back off mine and was fine...if ur car isnt happy when u take it off just pop it back on.
Old 25-07-04, 13:05   #91
VLRB20DET
Time for another NISSAN!

Car: 2010 WR450F
Trader Rating: (10)
I wish I still had my N/A VL, I would have like to try and extract some HP from the engine, eg shaved head, hi comp ratio, custom intake maifold, ported head etc
VLRB20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-04, 19:48   #92
coastvl
ATMO6

Trader Rating: (11)
Send a message via MSN to coastvl
Try my article in the tech section.
http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=17106
Old 25-07-04, 22:57   #93
wollow
Player

Thanks nIsMo86 and coastvl , u guys helped alot. I'll go an make some observatoins 2morra. Now i just gotta come up with a way to get mum off my back "too much power for a driver with your experiance..." lol.

Also nIsMo86, r ur headlights tinted? Or coloured globes? Cause it looks mad. Where can i get some?
Old 26-07-04, 02:15   #94
nIsMo86
Player

yeah got blue parker globes...can be found at any auto shop...mine arent led ones tho so the light spreads within the headlight moreso instead of looking like a blue dot.
Old 26-07-04, 20:20   #95
wollow
Player

Ta Nismo... bit of a moot point now... i wrote off my car today... Hopefully they find the other guy at fault an its covered by his insurance, i've only got 3rd party an my excess is like $1500 cause im only 17.
Old 27-07-04, 02:13   #96
nIsMo86
Player

sh|t dude that sux...hope they find the guy...good luck
Old 27-07-04, 12:27   #97
JuZi
Official Member

Car: '88 Blue VL Series 2 Exec
Send a message via MSN to JuZi
nismo86 r those lights legal? i know this might b a really stupid question but i wanted 2 c just incase
Old 29-07-04, 11:34   #98
louie
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollow
Ta Nismo... bit of a moot point now... i wrote off my car today... Hopefully they find the other guy at fault an its covered by his insurance, i've only got 3rd party an my excess is like $1500 cause im only 17.
thats gotta make ya cry. i'd hate to write my car off. its all just to expensive. i know how you feel being 17 and all. good luck ay sweety
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-04, 16:34   #99
2bturbo
Player

Car:
how do u cahnge your gear rations?
2bturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-04, 01:04   #100
nIsMo86
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuZi
nismo86 r those lights legal? i know this might b a really stupid question but i wanted 2 c just incase
ummm no they're not legal but cops have never picked em on my car...just make sure when u get pulled over to turn lights off straight away ...also they arent so obvious on a vl compared to something like a civic with separate parkers.