Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > VL Non-Turbo Discussion
Oz Drive - Driver Education

Old 04-08-04, 21:06   #101
foxxyred
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
rumour

i heard if you squash the fuel regulator u compress the spring which is inside u can up have more fuel pressure to up boost, and wantin to know if u can do it to non turb, but advance the timing more to like 25 or even 1 tooth with out pinging... just goss i heard
foxxyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-04, 11:46   #102
Uter
Player

Car: 86 VL SL RB30E
Send a message via MSN to Uter
willow, i bet ur mums going i told u so, to much power for an unexperienced driver, haha thats sux man good luck with everything, speaking of ****heads on the road, i was behind a freakin 4wd, there was 2 trucks in front of him, and hes like staying 50 metres behind them, we went around a roundabout and hes touching the breaks, then accelerating, i nearly went right up his ass, neway he was turning left at the round about (so was i) theres a 2nd lane that comes out for about 10 metres, so i popped her back to second and went right around him, cut him off, and he got the ****s with me after he was the 1 ****in around with me, just cos hes 50 and im 17 with a nice looking car, GRRRR i hate old drivers in 4wd's, neways back to the topic, ive read this whole post, and ive gained alot from it, i got 2weeks until i get my p's, and then im going to do some stuff from this car, i also am thinking bout supercharging my n/a after i get 2.5 exhaust, some extractor, gutted cat, cai, so thanks everyone for all this info, its helped alot CHEERS!
Uter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-04, 05:37   #103
OVL01
Player

Car:
My god, you guys have really been led up the garden path with some of those things. My VL was a stock 5 spd with 320000km. Went to willowbank, dead stock and ran 16.4. Went away, put on pod filter, extractors and 2 1/2 inch cat back exhaust, advanced timing and on BP Ultimate, and ran 15.914 at around 132km/h.

Someone asked how to change gear ratio's. This is done by changing the entire diff centre. Different diffs have different ratios. If you put in (for example) a diff with 4.11 gears, then you will accelerate quicker, but have a slower top speed. Thats why someone said they sit on 3500rpm at 100km/h instead of around 2400rpm with the standard 3.08.

I would agree that replacing the standard filter with a high flow panel filter, keeping the air box and fitting some sort of cold air induction would be better than fitting a pod. The extra flow you get by fitting a pod would be negated by the HOT air from the engine. Don't forget that your intake pipe gets very hot from sitting directly above the exhaust and the hot rocker cover. So colder air definately helps.

Fitting bigger injectors and fuel pump etc. to a stock vl would be a complete waste of time and money. The stock fuel system will handle the load until you get right into it. If you are only doin basic mods then don't worry bout this.

Foxxyred, whoever told you that about squashing the fuel pressure regulator needs their head read. I've never heard anything so stupid.

If you are thinking about doing the XF Falcon throttle body conversion then don't forget to also increase the diameter of the intake pipe. There is no point having a 65mm throttle body and 50mm pipe. It would be like having a 2 1/2 inch exhaust from the cat to the muffler and then having 2 inch pipe for the rest of the exhaust.

Please don't add VL's to the "rice" list by putting in different coloured parker bulbs. I can assure you that you would get more respect from other car enthusiasts if you had standard parkers than coloured ones.

A lot of people are talking about removing power steering and air con. The power you lose from these 2 things is caused by the engine having to spin the belts that runs the pumps. If you knew that already well... Removing these things will give you minimal power increases. I would prefer to have the air con and power steering.

Don't forget that changing compression ratios is a major modification. Unless you are really serious don't bother. To do it properly you have to pull the engine apart and change pistons etc. You can do other things to change it, like some turbo conversions use (slipped my mind just what its called) a plate that lowers compression. Compression plate maybe???

Anyway that's just my thoughts on VL's. they are an awesome car, and i was very sad to see my wagon go, and It'll be even worse when my sedan goes.

If anyone is interested, email OVL01@hotmail.com for pics and info on the sedan. Also OVL01 plates for sale.
OVL01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-04, 22:32   #104
VLRB20DET
Time for another NISSAN!

Car: 2010 WR450F
Trader Rating: (10)
personally myself i would like to see what sort of improvement would you get from running say a new RAJAB intake manifold or Nizpro on a N/A?

As for dissconnecting the Power Steering - Not worth it
As for dissconnecting the Air Conditoning - yep take the compressor etc and piss it off!
VLRB20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-04, 18:32   #105
Slayar
Player

Car: VL Calais or CANT (Calais And Non Turbo)
Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via MSN to Slayar
They Might have been Blowing Smoke, but one night at the Foreshore, some one said somthing about Piping the Air con onto the Air intake, that the small space was getting cold quick, and the Dry Air that a Air con Makes was Burning really well, and made a big diff... The guy had a skyline, well so he said...
could have just been a Tugger
Old 31-08-04, 22:08   #106
JuZi
Official Member

Car: '88 Blue VL Series 2 Exec
Send a message via MSN to JuZi
lol, sounds good 2 me but could b way off, but then again i cant find n e thing wrong with it
Old 15-09-04, 23:22   #107
Nathro
u like speakers?????

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewsVL
I own a N/A VL berlina which has
- rebuilt motor
- extractors with 2 1/2 inch exhaust
- 5 speed manual
- standard diff with LSD and 4.11's
- uni-filter
- high-flow cat and high-flow muffler

and she runs and sounds like a weapon!!!!!!!
- I've beat a every standard v6 commodore in the market
- last race was against a VX manual, big exhaust, extractors, LSD and i killed him by 4 car lengths!!!!

LMFAO!!! beat a vx 6 cylinder. yeah maybe the L plater didnt want to get booked!
Nathro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-04, 14:21   #108
Slayar
Player

Quote:
last race was against a VX manual, big exhaust, extractors, LSD and i killed him by 4 car lengths!!!!
Mate I dont think it counts when the VX is parked on the side of the road...
Allso Just Cause you Over take a Truck Delivering Clubsport's, Dosnt mean your car goes better then 5 New V8's
Old 18-09-04, 04:52   #109
myndphuk
Player

Car: White,VL Exec.
Trader Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVL01
Someone asked how to change gear ratio's. This is done by changing the entire diff centre. Different diffs have different ratios. If you put in (for example) a diff with 4.11 gears, then you will accelerate quicker, but have a slower top speed. Thats why someone said they sit on 3500rpm at 100km/h instead of around 2400rpm with the standard 3.08.
Everthing is true in that entire post mate, except the standard VL 6cyl's have a stock ratio of 3.45:1 already, its the v8's (except walkinshaw) that have the 3.08:1 ratio. You are correct though, you get a quicker take off speed (so it feels like you have heaps more power), but you lose your top end speed. The higher the ratio, the lower your top speed (before the thing is revving off its t**s.

Cheers

EDIT: sorry, even the walkinshaw has 3.08:1, it was the VN SS Group A that has the 3.45:1.

Last edited by myndphuk; 19-09-04 at 05:53.
myndphuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-04, 21:47   #110
JuZi
Official Member

still waiting 4 sum1 2 say slayar's aircon idea is stupid, here's something 2 add 2 it though, wen i put aircon on it makes the car noticably slower so it'd hav 2 make a huge dfference for it 2 b worth it
Old 21-09-04, 01:49   #111
Slayar
Player

I'm still waiting for some one to bag it out too,
I dont feel bad about it, being that it was not my idea, But am still waiting to be tooled for posting it,

somthing i'm sure everyone does,
if it looks like My cars running too hot I drive around with the Heater on, it seems to help a bit, get some of that Old School 4 by 60 aircon happening
Old 22-09-04, 20:27   #112
wood_22
Player

Car: VL Calais ;) x 2
Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via MSN to wood_22
hey im a new bloke to this forum. Im looking to put a new sporty front bumper on my VL Berlina. Can you help me out on loctions (pref SA) to buy and prices. cheers
wood_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-04, 14:26   #113
JuZi
Official Member

i'de recommend the le front bar, it'll go alright without the rest of the kit, but i guess the whole thing will look better. But if u want sumtin big there are also the aero and walky kit, the walky kit costs more than its worth, both would look stupid if you only use the front bar.

front le bumper would cost around 200-250 brand nu without paint (ofcourse)
Old 25-09-04, 17:56   #114
wood_22
Player

Car: VL Calais ;) x 2
Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via MSN to wood_22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuZi
i'de recommend the le front bar, it'll go alright without the rest of the kit, but i guess the whole thing will look better. But if u want sumtin big there are also the aero and walky kit, the walky kit costs more than its worth, both would look stupid if you only use the front bar.

front le bumper would cost around 200-250 brand nu without paint (ofcourse)
Cheers
What does the le look like? Is there a photo around?
wood_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-04, 18:10   #115
Bax

Car: Pushbike
Trader Rating: (41)
Most people that I've seen just strap on a Grp A front bar - That is if they aren't going to do anything else.
Bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-04, 19:40   #116
coastvl
ATMO6

Trader Rating: (11)
Send a message via MSN to coastvl
this is an LE kit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jays car 4.jpg (71.2 KB, 238 views)
Old 28-09-04, 19:44   #117
JuZi
Official Member

simple, small, and very neat, its a good way to get looks without going way over the top, thats why i like this car so much, what im not sure about is if you need to replace the whole front bumper or it comes as jst the strip for the bottom of it
Old 28-09-04, 19:50   #118
JuZi
Official Member

how did body kits get into the not turbo mods thread, this is for performance mods, oh well

what timing have people been running successfully on their n/a, im running something around 17-18 degrees at warm idle, im not sure what the idle speed is but it's most likely the same thing as most engines start to advance at 1500rpm. i got a timing table off a website to relate cam duration to timing, here it is:

Cam duration Advance Idle speed expected

270 10-12 600-800
280 12-14 900-1000
290 14-16 1000-1100
300 16-18 1100-1200
310+ 18-20 1100-1400

maybe matching the timing advance up with the cam duration would have a good effect.
Old 05-10-04, 15:29   #119
7FOUR7
Be like me

Car: VZ SS Thunder 6.0- Another vl soon
Trader Rating: (26)
Send a message via ICQ to 7FOUR7 Send a message via MSN to 7FOUR7
What diff ratios would ya's reccomend for a stock n/a auto? also, how well would the auto hold up with shift kit and a stall, what size stall would i be best off using?

brad
Old 06-10-04, 15:29   #120
JuZi
Official Member

dont change ur diff ratio and converter on a stock n/a, its not worth the trouble!

as a diff ratio, the larger the better, 3.9:1 or 4.11:1 but these ratios will really ruin your car's fuel economy but it will be a fair deal quicker.

the auto should hold up fine with a high stall converter, stock stall is 2200, so maybe somewhere between 2500 and 3500 will be good for most vl's, a shift kit would help the auto shift better, no hard would be done.

but you got urself a stock auto, definitely not worth spending the money unless ur planning on sumtin big and sum quick times, maybe just stick to engine mods and the shift kit for now, the diff and converter come later wen ur pulling quick times and not really streeting the car
Old 06-10-04, 17:31   #121
Uter
Player

Car: 86 VL SL RB30E
Send a message via MSN to Uter
hey all

whats tps stand for? /me is a noob
Old 06-10-04, 18:50   #122
7FOUR7
Be like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuZi
dont change ur diff ratio and converter on a stock n/a, its not worth the trouble!

as a diff ratio, the larger the better, 3.9:1 or 4.11:1 but these ratios will really ruin your car's fuel economy but it will be a fair deal quicker.

the auto should hold up fine with a high stall converter, stock stall is 2200, so maybe somewhere between 2500 and 3500 will be good for most vl's, a shift kit would help the auto shift better, no hard would be done.

but you got urself a stock auto, definitely not worth spending the money unless ur planning on sumtin big and sum quick times, maybe just stick to engine mods and the shift kit for now, the diff and converter come later wen ur pulling quick times and not really streeting the car
cool thanks, im planning on eventually running mid 14s N/A, is this realistic with an auto? ifso, any ideas on what i will need? and some rough price estimates? thanks
brad
Old 08-10-04, 13:35   #123
7FOUR7
Be like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uter
hey all

whats tps stand for? /me is a noob
yeah, what is it?
Old 08-10-04, 13:42   #124
Bax

Car: Pushbike
Trader Rating: (41)
Throttle Position Sensor.
Bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 14:51   #125
VLPSI88
X

Car: VLPSI-6 & gaywoo
Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via MSN to VLPSI88
ha ha, a big phat turbo is always good for an n/a... just a question, im new to the VL, and just got my lisence, and a farken love em... can the rb30 handle a turbo straight out?

Last edited by VLPSI88; 08-10-04 at 14:56.
VLPSI88 is offline   Reply With Quote