CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Technical Articles
LSX Garage - Performance has a new home...

Old 26-08-08, 19:14   #51
86 gmh
If its old or rare cut it

Car: VLT, RB30et VH wagon, 1964 EH
Trader Rating: (15)
Send a message via MSN to 86 gmh
ok mine says vs on the front of the master cylinder? allso does anyone have the part number for the adaptor fittings?
86 gmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-08, 19:42   #52
NZ VL com
Player

Car: vl calais, vl royale 195kw non turbo
Trader Rating: (0)
the VS resevoir doesnt line up i just used the VT it works fine.as for the adapter fittings i just got the front lines from a VP and swapped them as the caliper ends would need adapters too, and i just took the rear line to brake shop and they changed the flare ($5)

I got a plastic booster and VT master cylinder last week but I have a couple of issues with the booster. Firstly it only has 2 mounting bolts to mount to the bracket inside the bay (in the middle of the 2 either side)
umm put up a pic you lost me on that one
Old 26-08-08, 22:02   #53
86 gmh
If its old or rare cut it

Car: VLT, RB30et VH wagon, 1964 EH
Trader Rating: (15)
Send a message via MSN to 86 gmh
hey mate what doesnt the vs master cylinder line up with??
86 gmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-08, 21:55   #54
NZ VL com
Player

upgrade complete
highly reccommended and thats with rear drums
Old 02-10-08, 22:30   #55
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Trader Rating: (1)
Also for those looking to do the conversion, Cebco has sold there gear to race brakes so you will need to call them for the brass adapters, however they quoted me more then I thought it was worth so I called hoppers stoppers and got a far better price for those interested.

Doing the conversion as we speak. I was wondering when drilling through those chunky pushrods to move the hole forward I heated it up a fair bit, dont think this would do any damage but might be something to watch, then again my drillbit was rather blunt. I put my old booster rod over the top as a guide, its a 10mm drillbit.
jbonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 12:02   #56
Dhue
Player

Car:
Can you use a vs v8 booster as I already have one and it would save me having to buy a v6 one

Cheers
Dhue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 09:49   #57
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Hey I drilled the hole in the pushrod of the vs booster, right in front of te other one, put the booster on, but the pedal almost seems too low now. Its about an inch under the clutch pedal and all in all probably has 3" travel. Is this normal? The master cylinder wont make the travel any more when I bleed it up correct? Cause you definately cant pull the pushrod out any more.

Has anyone just left theres without a hole in the rod & it was perfect as it almost seems thats how it should be.
Old 04-10-08, 12:29   #58
Com_VC
Player

Car: VC Commodore
Send a message via ICQ to Com_VC Send a message via MSN to Com_VC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonez
Hey I drilled the hole in the pushrod of the vs booster, right in front of te other one, put the booster on, but the pedal almost seems too low now. Its about an inch under the clutch pedal and all in all probably has 3" travel. Is this normal? The master cylinder wont make the travel any more when I bleed it up correct? Cause you definately cant pull the pushrod out any more.

Has anyone just left theres without a hole in the rod & it was perfect as it almost seems thats how it should be.

You dont have to drill a hole in the VS booster, it's only if you fit the VT booster you have to do that..

How much where the brass adapters from hoppers stoppers?
Com_VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 19:00   #59
-Kenny-
BANNED

Car: vl turbo, ford courier
race brakes want $66. i tried hoppers stoppers and they werent sure which ones. Anyone got part numbers?
-Kenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-08, 23:37   #60
stuff
Player

Car:
I got the VT master with the original Reservoir tank/ VS booster, the vs reservoir tank won't fit on a vt master, and the 3 brass adapters got it for $66. mod the adjustment screw job on a vs booster to stop sticking the master out.

Installed/bleed on a VK from last weekend, went for a run, it does improves and better response on brake pedal.
stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-08, 13:05   #61
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Part number for hoppers ones. Part number is BQ40A. Just double check there the right ones havent recieved mine yet. Got all my booster/ master bolted up, had to use an Na bracket drilled out about 2cm closer the the bracket but fited up okay. Waiting for line adapters & will be all done. Cant wait to see what shes got now.

Last edited by jbonez; 15-10-08 at 13:10.
Old 15-10-08, 16:22   #62
NZ VL com
Player

pinch a set of front brake lines fron a VN up car instead of the adapters as then all 4 flares are matching the VT gear, just 1 adapter for the rear
Old 15-10-08, 17:23   #63
-Kenny-
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff
I got the VT master with the original Reservoir tank/ VS booster, the vs reservoir tank won't fit on a vt master, and the 3 brass adapters got it for $66. mod the adjustment screw job on a vs booster to stop sticking the master out.

Installed/bleed on a VK from last weekend, went for a run, it does improves and better response on brake pedal.
$66 is a bit dear! hoppers quoted me $8 each plus $5 postage. replacing the lines with a later model is a bit difficult when u have an engine to weave around and with them being steel they can be easily stressed. I think getting them re-flared would hav to be the best option
Old 15-10-08, 18:29   #64
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Yea I wasnt going to pay $66 for them unless I had to. But hoppers seems to be the go. I mean you mass produce a threaded adapter & want to charge $20 each piece its a bit rich. When pirtek etc would sell a similar style hydraulic fitting for bugger all.
Old 15-10-08, 18:39   #65
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Trader Rating: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ VL com
pinch a set of front brake lines fron a VN up car instead of the adapters as then all 4 flares are matching the VT gear, just 1 adapter for the rear
Can be done, but I think you'd have a hard time "pinching" them.

Rear brake line can also be used, but it'd probably be all wrong for the chassis.
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-08, 18:49   #66
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Yea I think if you were going to goto the effort to pull your brake lines out, you may as well just take them to a shop to get the flares changed. But with the sensitivity of removing old brake lines from chassis mounts. Stuff that when adapters can be had for under $40.
Old 10-11-08, 12:01   #67
madrx3boy
Gold Members

does anyone know what size the adaptors are to use the standard vl fittings on the vt master? cheers
madrx3boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 21:11   #68
-Kenny-
BANNED

i hav some info and pics on how to adapt the vt booster. I can email but cant upload pic atm cos internet is slow. mite upload another day. Pm or email kennyparker@optusnet.com.au
Old 13-11-08, 05:51   #69
Grega
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via MSN to Grega
kenny - i sent you a PM - i can help with the posting of pics dude.

Grega
Grega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-08, 08:58   #70
-Kenny-
BANNED

internets a bit faster today so i'll post these up. cut out some 12mm plate. drill 10mm holes 60 x 80. blow out a 2inch hole in the centre

cut down the studs leave about 10mm potruding

weld the plate to wots left of the studs. u dont wanna penetrate to much heat just a moderate tack is good enough

drill a few extra holes in the vl bracket to allow for spot weld. tack it to the plate. dummy fit the booster before u fully weld it, make sure the brake fluid resovoir is gonna be perpendicular. I had a spare booster that i refered to to put the bracket in the correct location. the bracket is pretty much parrellel to the plate

when you've got it right complete your spot welds

by using the plate theres no need to drill holes in the pushrod. I wouldn't use plate any thicker than 12mm as it would make it harder to fit. the pedal should sit at the correct height however if it is still too high you can put a couple of washers on the 2 studs going into the firewall if you have to. the booster is a tight fit but it WILL go in WITHOUT any panelbeating.
Old 15-11-08, 12:43   #71
Grega
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via MSN to Grega
kenny, thank you.

Grega
Grega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-08, 09:52   #72
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Wow I wish I had those pictures a few weeks ago when I put the vs booster in.
Old 20-11-08, 21:28   #73
madrx3boy
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ VL com
upgrade complete
highly reccommended and thats with rear drums
so the vt master/vs booster upgrade is fine to use with drums? i've read that the standard 15/16 master puts more pressure on rear drums to hold the shoes against the drum) which means when using a vt master (which is made for 4-wheel discs) won't put as much pressure on drums, and to me that means the rears will have an even smaller effect when braking (not that they do an awful lot for the ol' VL anyway lol.

just wandering coz i want to put the vt master and vs booster in soonish but i still gotta get my new disc brake rear end converted to lsd
madrx3boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-08, 14:01   #74
NZ VL com
Player

well it still stops good but i have a disc rear lined up soon to go in, that if i finish building it
Old 23-11-08, 17:21   #75
rb_inside
Player

Car: vl calais,vl royal,vl 2l berlina
Welds

So what happens if the welds break
rb_inside is offline   Reply With Quote