CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > Recreation
LSX Garage - Performance has a new home...

Old 15-06-09, 22:16   #1
88_vl_bt1
Can't hate a V8

Car: HSV
Trader Rating: (42)
Send a message via MSN to 88_vl_bt1
4 stroke motorcross bikes.

I'm looking to buy a late model (2005 onwards) 4 stroke motorcross bike either a crf/yzf or rmz 250 or 450(will be used for enduro and motorcross track riding. not for racing.). Having only ever owned 2 strokes in the past I have no idea about maintanance on these just heard tappets need adjusting after 5 hours riding, valves and timing chains need periodic replacement and that the Hondas have issues with there titianium valves. If any one owns one/knows about them could you please fill me in a bit on this information and what to look out for when buying one? would you advise the enduro equivalant like crfx, wrf or rmx?
Thanks in advance.
88_vl_bt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-09, 10:50   #2
HTURBO
Pushing Limits

Car: 05 VZ HSV Clubsport R8 daily / VL calais turbo manual / 05 CRF450R
Trader Rating: (3)
I own a CRF450R race bike with a front, rear light kit, little side mirror & recreational number plate. Having 45rw/kw(standard power) or 56.3 horsepower at 8500 revs and 37.5 lb-ft of torque at 7000 rpm at the rears really making it enjoyable to ride.
The CRF450X has less power, more heavier and it's maximum revs are lower than the CRF450R.
I've also place a power pipe on, high flowing air filter and a larger petrol tank. So I reckon the power would be around the 48-50 rw/kw.
I had new world Honda install a very light recreational kit after purchasing the Honda CRF450R.
I found that owning the CRF450R it's more for racing as the first gear is really long. So you spend most of your time going flat out.
The CRF450X is more designed for trail riding but has less power.
A friend on mine owns a CR500R and we are BAR to BAR all the way. But sometimes I have a quicker take off because the 4-stroke has more low down power.
I think that's why all the motocross bikes went to 4 stroke.
I'm allways having trouble keeping the front end down even when I'm sitting on the petrol cap.
The only bad thing is having a race bike you have to place a spares kit(piston, rings & seals) through every 15 hours of riding. So they recommended.
I've been riding for about 500hrs after placing a spares kit through and still no problems.
So If you after a low maintenance bike with less power than the CFR450R go for the CRF450X. But if you want adrenalin pumping power go the CRF450R. Here's some pictures of my bike and the maintenance schedule.

Last edited by HTURBO; 21-06-09 at 22:51.
HTURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-09, 20:14   #3
YEP_boost
UONP - We will kill you

Car: VLCT/VY ADVENTRA LX8
Trader Rating: (36)
Stay away from 04-05 crf's, they seem to suffer the valve issues worse than the rest of them. The YZF's are a very reliable bike and seem to suffer less valve issues than most of the others. The rmz isnt to bad generally but again the earlier 04-05 era bikes pull valves through quick as well. Do yourself a favour and have a good look at YZF or WRF. The only issues you will ever really have with the yamaha is fork seals if you dont look after them.
YEP_boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-09, 20:23   #4
SIKVLT
why are you reading this?

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to SIKVLT
Having raced pro here in NZ for Yamaha - KTM and Honda for the info you have givin sounds like you'd be better getting a enduro based model eg WR250F or KTM 250EXCF or infact a 450 If your a big guy lean towards a 450

Have you got mate with any 4 strokes ask them if you can throw a leg over one of them or i'm not sure if oz do it but can you get a Demo model from a shop to try out ?
SIKVLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-09, 20:45   #5
Jubs11
Official Member

Car: VS GTS (352)
Trader Rating: (0)
Hey Guys

I had a Yamaha YZF426 for 12 months and have just upgraded to a YFZ450 i am a fan of the Yamaha, if i had the coin i would buy a KTM. I have never had any valve problems or any major problems either bike. Maintenance is a bit of a pain in the ass i do the air filter every ride and oil and filter every 10hrs. i would steer clear of the honda's mate i have a few mates with them nothin but problems Here's some pics

Jubs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-09, 20:52   #6
bdrftn
Gold Members

Car: vlt daily, sleeper vlt.
Trader Rating: (13)
Send a message via MSN to bdrftn
ive got a WRF250 and i cant fault it one bit..
im second owner but am good friends with the first owner so know all the history and it has not missed a beat in allmost 3000k's.
bdrftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-09, 20:55   #7
obsesv
Gold Members

Car: yes
Trader Rating: (5)
i have the ol faithful XR250

only thing i know about the newer 4 stroke competition sorta bikes with their super high compression is that they seem to get rebuilds quite often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTURBO
So If you after a low maintenance bike with less power than the CFR450R go for the CRF450X. But if you want adrenalin pumping power go the CRF450R. Here's some pictures of my bike and the maintenance schedule.

no if you want a low maintenance bike get something like an xr400.. ultra reliable, they have a fair bit of power, and theyre cheap!

if you want something that will tear your arms off get something like a crf or yzf, but be prepared for less reliability and often rebuilds!

Last edited by obsesv; 16-06-09 at 20:59. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
obsesv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-09, 21:38   #8
88_vl_bt1
Can't hate a V8

thanks for the advice guys, going to look at a 2006 yzf450 next weekend, comes with all orig plastics, rec reg (has lights fitted front and rear) had top and bottomend rebuild around 6 riding hours ago (with recipts) he wants $6,600.
Old 17-06-09, 12:41   #9
sohc2
10.6@127mph

Car: 10 second sleeper
Trader Rating: (21)
**** the whales, save the two strokes!
Old 17-06-09, 13:10   #10
obsesv
Gold Members

Car: yes
Trader Rating: (5)
^ i agree.. if i had choice of any bike, a new ktm 300 exc would be riiiiiiiiight up there on my list. i love the two strokes!
obsesv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-09, 13:27   #11
sohc2
10.6@127mph

Car: 10 second sleeper
Trader Rating: (21)
Seriously though I see so many noobs that cant ride to save there life and guess what there all riding, 4 strokes...

They are just so easy to ride, no skill involved at all, anyone can ride them. To ride a two stroke well takes skill. Heaps more fun as well when the band comes on. Not a fan of four strokes as you can tell lol.
Old 17-06-09, 21:53   #12
MonstaS4
^^ = stunt bike

Car: RB30DET sold...hello VZ SS
Trader Rating: (0)
If you don't mind spending heaps of time (and coin) in the shed doing routine maintenance, sure go a late model 4 banger.

I've just got back into dirt riding after 15 years on roadies. Bought an 05 KTM300exc (2 smoke) and absolutely love it. Maintenance is so simple......change piston & rings every 200hrs.....maybe rings only at 100hrs. Change oil every 40hrs.
Has heaps of low end torque for a 2T. Power is very controllable.....you also have a choice of 3 springs to put in the power valve which changes the rpm range that the pv opens for.

Check out the Dirt Bike World site. Plenty of usefull info there.
MonstaS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-09, 16:17   #13
HTURBO
Pushing Limits

It all comes down to how you ride your bike and look after it. I placed a spares kit in about 3 years ago and still punches out the power. I mean I don't sit there with the throttle on full with the rev limiter going all the time. But It's great having that extra power for when you want to get that Adrenalin pumping. One funny thing is that my CRF450R is 50cc less compared to the 500cc 2-strokes and still whips them. I don't understand people who say that the 2 strokes are faster and more fun. Heck, Me and a friend swapped bikes. He had a CR500, I spent 5 minutes riding the CR500 2 stroke and I wanted my CRF450R back. I find the CRF450R mx bike is more faster & enjoyable to ride. It gets that Adrenalin pumping.

Anyway the easiest and cheaper option to go is a trail/enduro bike, of course less maintenance, less power and less fun. But more affordable. Anyway it's your money your choice. But on thing I can't stand is that people saying 2-strokes are better and faster. Also I ride my 05 CRF450R ride every weekend and sometimes during the week. In the 4 years I've owned the bike it's only needed 1 spares kit. I placed the spares kit because the last owner used to race it. And not once did it have to go to the mechanic for repairs. So HONDA is number 1. For me for that is.And not one valve problem.

Last edited by HTURBO; 18-06-09 at 17:42. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 18-06-09, 19:19   #14
88_vl_bt1
Can't hate a V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTURBO
It all comes down to how you ride your bike and look after it. I placed a spares kit in about 3 years ago and still punches out the power. I mean I don't sit there with the throttle on full with the rev limiter going all the time. But It's great having that extra power for when you want to get that Adrenalin pumping. One funny thing is that my CRF450R is 50cc less compared to the 500cc 2-strokes and still whips them. I don't understand people who say that the 2 strokes are faster and more fun. Heck, Me and a friend swapped bikes. He had a CR500, I spent 5 minutes riding the CR500 2 stroke and I wanted my CRF450R back. I find the CRF450R mx bike is more faster & enjoyable to ride. It gets that Adrenalin pumping.

Anyway the easiest and cheaper option to go is a trail/enduro bike, of course less maintenance, less power and less fun. But more affordable. Anyway it's your money your choice. But on thing I can't stand is that people saying 2-strokes are better and faster. Also I ride my 05 CRF450R ride every weekend and sometimes during the week. In the 4 years I've owned the bike it's only needed 1 spares kit. I placed the spares kit because the last owner used to race it. And not once did it have to go to the mechanic for repairs. So HONDA is number 1. For me for that is.And not one valve problem.
Yeah mate, ya spot on there it all comes down to the style of your riding, reason i'm going for a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke(again) is the instant torque and making life a bit eaiser on those slippery steep hills in the bush... had too many experances sliding backwards down wet red dirt hills cause my cr 250 kept stalling. thanks for putting up the maintance shedule for me.
Old 18-06-09, 19:59   #15
sampo
CARBY FED!! :D

Car: VL 5L
Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via MSN to sampo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_vl_bt1
had too many experances sliding backwards down wet red dirt hills cause my cr 250 kept stalling. thanks for putting up the maintance shedule for me.
I've got a KTM 200exc 2 smoke, been there and done that plenty of times but ive got to say i havnt not been able to climb a hill yet that my mates 4 stroke can. Dont think id find myself going back to a postie bike anytime soon the powerband is just too much fun XD!
sampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-09, 20:14   #16
HTURBO
Pushing Limits

I was exactly in the same situation. My previous bike was a Yamaha DT200 2 stroke. It was great around 7000-8000 rpm but because it was in band, it allways used to spin and never get any grip. I only found that 2 strokes are good for MX or road use. The reason is because I ride in the bush the hills are about 45-70 degrees angel, very steep and muddy.
Since I've had the CRF450R I had no issue's or problems, and the places I can go are unreal. Usually my friend(CR500R) spend most of his time falling off because nearly every hill we come across, he would have to go flat out just to get up it, spinning the rear wheel and having no traction.
All I now is that at the end of the day, of riding I have really enjoyed riding and might be a bit sore from hanging on to the CRF450R because of the power, but my friend at the end of the day is sore, wet, buggered and bruised.
Trust me, go a 4 stroke thumper and you'll never look back.
PLUS: That Maintenance schedule is recommended for MX racing. Where 90% of the time your going flat out. Also they use a schedule like that for race reliability.
As for me I only had 1 rebuild(spares kit) in 4 years. That's because once I brought the bike I placed the spares kit though because it had been raced previously.
Honestly the amount of fun I've had on the CRF450R I'm never going back.
And it's never been to the work shop for repairs!!!!!!
Also one question, where do you go riding?

Last edited by HTURBO; 18-06-09 at 20:27.
Old 18-06-09, 20:54   #17
88_vl_bt1
Can't hate a V8

around toolangi state forest, black hill, mt benack and am planning to join the endruo/mx club at alexandra.
Old 18-06-09, 21:29   #18
giantbrandon
aus880 for pm

Car: vl calais turbo s2, calais turbo wagon s1, exec v8 77k, crf450x
Trader Rating: (19)
i had a crf450x cause of the full rego and electric start
Old 18-06-09, 21:31   #19
88_vl_bt1
Can't hate a V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantbrandon
i had a crf450x cause of the full rego and electric start
what year model was it? did it ever give you any troubles? How did you find it to ride?
Old 18-06-09, 21:41   #20
giantbrandon
aus880 for pm

Car: vl calais turbo s2, calais turbo wagon s1, exec v8 77k, crf450x
Trader Rating: (19)
06 brand new from the shop only changed the oil and filters did 800km then sold it cause i mates stoped riding it was very easy to ride very forgiving, not as off its rocker as a 450r my mate had one and always had trouble keeping the front wheel down and my mate with the yz450f hated his when he stalled on a hill plus mine had a stand, if you plan on long rides you will need a bigger tank
Old 18-06-09, 21:47   #21
88_vl_bt1
Can't hate a V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantbrandon
06 brand new from the shop only changed the oil and filters did 800km then sold it cause i mates stoped riding it was very easy to ride very forgiving, not as off its rocker as a 450r my mate had one and always had trouble keeping the front wheel down and my mate with the yz450f hated his when he stalled on a hill plus mine had a stand, if you plan on long rides you will need a bigger tank
Alright, thanks mate. Not too convinced on the yzf's i'm planning to arrange to have a look at a crf aswell. When you say your mate had trouble with his yzf stalling what do you mean? was it on a hill and just runs out of torque? or is it to do with the way the clutch is set up?
thanks mate.
Old 18-06-09, 21:56   #22
YEP_boost
UONP - We will kill you

Car: VLCT/VY ADVENTRA LX8
Trader Rating: (36)
Stalling on a hill has nothing to do with the bike, thats the rider. Believe me if you want reliability buy a YZF or a WRF. The crf R's make a touch more power and can be a little temperamental but it is moreso the earlier 04-05's that show up issues.

The crf 250x and 450x dont suffer the same valve issues though and are a far more reliable bike.

I'm still not sold on the KTM's, we get heaps of guys coming in saying they regret buying them and want their wrf's and yzf's back. They also have a big recall on atm for oil pressure issues with the 08 450's.
YEP_boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-09, 22:05   #23
HTURBO
Pushing Limits

I usually ride in Bunyip state forest, Noojee, Poweltown, Jindivick and Neerim east pines. Every year I ride in the Blue light rally held in Noojee.
Last year there was well over 1500 riders. It the biggest enduro event in Victoria. Some of the best riding and scenery. It's a 1 day event with BBQ's, Drinks and a band. Each year just keeps on getting bigger. I didn't go last year but the year before two lucky entrants won a bike each, a TT-R230 & WR450F. This event been running for 34 years. It's about 1-1.5 hours drive from Dandenong. Anyway here's a couple of websites, check it out!!
http://www.useddirtbikes.com.au/modu...s&nID=18&pg=LN
http://bikedeadline.com.au/?page=Dow...D2007111368952
Here's last years entry information + info
http://www.bluelightride.com.au/
Old 18-06-09, 22:07   #24
88_vl_bt1
Can't hate a V8

thanks for that info mate. I was planning on steering clear of the ktms iv'e heard there nothing but trouble. what are the issues you have come across with the 04-05 crf's?
Old 18-06-09, 22:17   #25
HTURBO
Pushing Limits

I think KTM's are expensive + parts, not much of a fan of them. I had my CRF450R for nearly 5 years now and I haven't had any valve problems. I know every time I fill the gerry can I place 20ml of MOTUL valve expert in.

Mine is a 2004 CRF450R and the only time it went to the Mechanic was just after I brought the bike for a spares kit. I only placed the spares kit through because the bike was raced previously and I wanted to start a Log Book. That's the only time it's been to Honda. Since then I service it regularly and I've had no issue's.

Also what yep boost said:- If you after a maintenance free bike buy the CRF X but if your after a lot of toque and power buy yourself a CRF R. If you buy the CRF R be prepared for a bit of maintenance. Heck I rather a bit of maintenance and have a reliable and powerful bike. The only hitch is that the CRF450R don't come with recreational plate, lights & a mirror. But allmost any bike shop will fit one.

And there's another thing you might not like about the R model CRF is that they have a very long 1st gear. Made for taking off the start line when racing. I know the x model CRF has a closer gear range, made for climbing those hills a bit easier.

Last edited by HTURBO; 18-06-09 at 22:45.