CalaisTurbo New Tags END Ignore Digital Niche Code -->
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > VL Turbo Discussion
G-Cylinder

Old 18-06-10, 00:03   #26
ovq01
Gold Members

Car: 355 VQ Statesman, Vl Turbo, 4.2L Smoke Stack Patrol !
Trader Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by INFLYT View Post
This!
I'm doing my own exhaust combination, and there's still no way I could get under that figure of $1000.
when saying so your owm exhaust combo are you making it yourself or are you paying someone to build it ? Exhaust can be expensive, as stated in my previous post im a boiler maker and i have my own tig welder so i make all my own stuff from piping to catch cans to surge tanks, everything is done in my shed ! my exhaust cost me 200 my muffler was 50 and my cat was worth 100 i cut all my flanges on a profile cutter at work and my bends i got off a mate for $10 a bend.
Old 02-08-10, 13:45   #27
VL_Aero23
Player

Trader Rating: (0)
hey guys im pretty new to building a turbo motor up just wondering if you have the measurements needed to front mount the intercooler if ur doing the piping yourself ??
VL_Aero23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-10, 19:10   #28
leesvlt
Player

Car: Vl turbo
hi guys just wanting to know about soilernoid/fuel presure reg and i also need a air flow meter ,do i need a vl turbo or will a standed one do? thanks lee
leesvlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-10, 10:25   #29
rah889
Player

Car:
vl turbo expectation

hey guys im new to this site..
i just wanted a rough idea on how much power i would get out of my vl calais turbo im building now..these are the specfications.

-rb30 na engine
-manual box
-i have decompressed the engine with a decompression plate wid 2 gaskets on both sides of the decompression plate
-new gaskets and seals throughout the whole engine
-big front mont intercooler
-t4 low mount turbo
-38mm turbosmart external waste gate with screamer pipe
-brand new vl turbo injectors
-vl turbo computer
-locker diff
-boost tap i am planning to run it on 12 pounds boost

cheerrs
rah889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-10, 14:44   #30
Jaxinator
Player

Car: Vl
[QUOTE=dinch;2399765]Hi guys just curious to know approx rwhp that my set will make i got:

front mount
3inch turbo back
microtech lt10s-
t3/t4
tx1 cam
044 external
660cc injectors
LW5 turbo motor

mx7

thanks[/QUOTE
280rwkw
Jaxinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 18:05   #31
lugsy
Player

Car:
more boost out of standard vl turbo

gday,ive been told there is a simple cost effective way to modify standard turbo on vl,s.can u screw something into the turbo to wind more boost into it.if anyone can help ,would be greatly appreciated..
lugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 18:50   #32
Born2xlr8
SirGeo's Bitch

Car: VLCT-86
Trader Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugsy View Post
gday,ive been told there is a simple cost effective way to modify standard turbo on vl,s.can u screw something into the turbo to wind more boost into it.if anyone can help ,would be greatly appreciated..
Zip tie, best bang for buck, if you dont knoe where it goes u need to do more research

Interested in starting a Car club for the SE Sub's of Vic Brettvella@bigpond.com
Born2xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-11, 17:26   #33
ledouche
Player

Car: white vlt manual~~stolen~~
Trader Rating: (1)
^^^^ lol i like it. and yeh get a boost controller they rnt that expensive and take 5min to install
ledouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-11, 10:27   #34
zepha
Player

Car: VL Berlina
should be sweet set up mate . check out my First Vl http://s1109.photobucket.com/albums/h428/Xenon_Ryan/
zepha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-12, 16:10   #35
RB30DEVL
Player

Car: VY SS Commodore
re - mods to VL turbo

I think for around for under $1000, you can get probably around 250 FWKW out of a bog stock VL turbo, mods including :-

- Front mount intercooler

- 3 to 4 inch custom fabricated turbo to cat converter dump pipe

- 3 inch hi flow cat

- 3 inch mandrel bent straight through exhaust system.

- Increase the turbos boost

If you're really pushing for around 300 kw or more (about the ceiling for a stock RB30 head),you could go for a T3-T4 hybrid turbo, then you'd have to start looking at the fuelling & ignition side of things (fuel delivery,pump size, pipes, swirl pot, aftermarket ECU or Niztune, higher flowing fuel injectors, etc)

I've just settled for a VY V8 for an every day driver because they put out around that sort of power & performance anyway with relatively minor tweaks (higher flowing mandrel bent exhaust system,extractors, tune - MAF or MAFLESS, diff ratio change), I'm not sure how much the insurance (greenslip) is for a VL turbo for someone over the age of 30, but I only pay $360 per year for the VY.

I'm sure the comprehensive insurance for a VL turbo no matter what is quite expensive too.

I've heard of a fuel consumption figure for a modified VL turbo of 12 - 13L/100 kms but I'm not sure if that's on the highway or not, I've heard of a stock figure of 9.5 - 10L/100 kms out of a stock one when it's not being floored on the highway.

I'm getting 11.5L/100 kms out of the LS1 (mixed town & country driving) out of the VY with a Clubsport diff ratio (3.9:1) and an aftermarket exhaust system & tune (not MAFLESS) and it's putting out around the power output of a VY Clubsport anyway, I get down to around 10 - 10.5L/100 kms with straight highway driving.

Yeah, no one knew about that until I floored it in town.
RB30DEVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-12, 11:46   #36
EdzV8
Player

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FST-747 View Post
turbo on a n/a s1 motor would blow it to bits, unless u got the s2 block
How do you tell S1 from S2? I'm building a turbo motor and have two non turbo blocks to choose from?

---------- Post added 14-10-12 at 12:48 ----------

Quote:
I'm not sure how much the insurance (greenslip) is for a VL turbo for someone over the age of 30, but I only pay $360 per year for the VY.

I'm sure the comprehensive insurance for a VL turbo no matter what is quite expensive too.
I'm paying $460 through shannon's per year, but have a couple of cars with them. I would imagine it would be around $600 for a daily driver.
EdzV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-12, 00:28   #37
MUS
Couldnt care less

Car: Bagged 6L Wags, VLCT
Trader Rating: (6)
RB30devl, you need to lay off the crack. The stuffs fried your brain.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 21:29   #38
crazyyy23
Player

Car:
Turbos are quite an easy car to get large power gains with low costs and just as low effort. If you're new to the whole modification scene, we've listed a series of modifications you should look at, and show what sort of power ranges you can achieve from them.

Please note that while this post should serve as a rough guide, not all cars will achieve the same results, and as such, the best way to measure your power is by running a quarter mile.

Basic Modifications

3" (three inch) Exhaust from turbo back
Front-mounted Intercooler
Adjustable Boost Control
K&N Panel Filter

For the above modifications you will be looking at around $1,000, depending on where you source your parts from. As always, when increasing the boost levels past the standard factory levels, it is recommended that you put the car on a dyno and check it's Air to Fuel ratio.
-------------------
2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS
crazyyy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 23:33   #39
MUS
Couldnt care less

Car: Bagged 6L Wags, VLCT
Trader Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyyy23 View Post
Turbos are quite an easy car to get large power gains with low costs and just as low effort. If you're new to the whole modification scene, we've listed a series of modifications you should look at, and show what sort of power ranges you can achieve from them.

Please note that while this post should serve as a rough guide, not all cars will achieve the same results, and as such, the best way to measure your power is by running a quarter mile.

Basic Modifications

3" (three inch) Exhaust from turbo back
Front-mounted Intercooler
Adjustable Boost Control
K&N Panel Filter

For the above modifications you will be looking at around $1,000, depending on where you source your parts from. As always, when increasing the boost levels past the standard factory levels, it is recommended that you put the car on a dyno and check it's Air to Fuel ratio.
-------------------
2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS
Maybe back in 2010.. With todays prices a cooler with piping can set you back $700+
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 08:41   #40
THC
Player

Car: 04 cv8 monaro 300rwk. Vl calais turbo project. White Vl sl turbo.
Trader Rating: (9)
very true mus, 3inch exhaust and dump pipe thats around $1000.
cooler setup $600
Boost controler is around 200-400 for a good one,
K&N panel $100-140

so that basic setup is more around the $2000 mark
THC is offline   Reply With Quote