Calais Turbo Advertising

Old 03-03-08, 18:56   #51
gjor86
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Marking the Timing Belt when changing lifters

Hi There,

Just reading a few of the replys that people have, and i was wondering why the timing needs to be marked when changing the lifters. could someone please explain this a little bit more for me. Any help would be appriciated cheers
gjor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 20:52   #52
Nukz
When in doubt, mumble.

Car: PSI-30L (413rwhp) (SOLD)
Trader Rating: (16)
timing doesnt need to be marked, just set ur cam gear to face up so that rear rockers arent under tension and can be bolted down, and then turn the cam gear 180 degrees to bolt the front rockers shafts down
Nukz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-08, 06:11   #53
gjor86
Player

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukz
timing doesnt need to be marked, just set ur cam gear to face up so that rear rockers arent under tension and can be bolted down, and then turn the cam gear 180 degrees to bolt the front rockers shafts down
Thanks for the infomation there mate Really appreciate it. I have another question for you.

At the moment the lifters are out of the head and i have found one that has been chipped away on the top (Definitely buggered). Now how do i tell if the rest are ok to put back in the head, they all look phisically perfect but there was lifter noise in the motor. Also does it matter if the rockers move side to side and up and down when in the head?

Thank you again.
gjor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-08, 07:35   #54
Nukz
When in doubt, mumble.

Car: PSI-30L (413rwhp) (SOLD)
Trader Rating: (16)
see if they are compressible by hand, and if the mating surfaces seem nice and flat. thats pretty much it. if they look perfect then they're usually fine to reuse. rockers should have very slight side to side movement along the shaft, but up and down movement should be minimal to none
Nukz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-11, 15:46   #55
speedracervl
Player

Car: vl calais turbo 5 spd
Hi guys,
I'm changing my lifters at the moment. Just went with a set of after market ones as genuine are $60 compared to $11 from repco. My question is why do you have to rotate the engine to certain positions before tightening the bolts? All they seem to do is hold everything down so I can't see why you can't just replace and retighten as is....
speedracervl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-16, 20:41   #56
tubular2
Gold Members

Car: 87 berlina
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracervl View Post
Hi guys,
I'm changing my lifters at the moment. Just went with a set of after market ones as genuine are $60 compared to $11 from repco. My question is why do you have to rotate the engine to certain positions before tightening the bolts? All they seem to do is hold everything down so I can't see why you can't just replace and retighten as is....

ha ah i thought that at first but then reckoned i needed to consult google and find out what the process is. came back to calaisturbo ,thanks again this site has saved me heaps in $$$ for diagnostic and procedures for my rb30.

this senario for me was after approx 4000 km from rebuild with head only getting cleaned,new cam ,new lifters and adjustable camgear my car developed a ticking at 3000 rpm and stayed until just over 4000 rpm.
so i removed rocker cover to see what i could see and the 5 th cyl left and and right and right 6th rocker i could move up and down. when i checked bolts the rear ones were heaps looser with one being near hand tight !

so to reinterate what i followed on CT cam notch/dowel to top. then tighten cyl 4,5,6 rotate 180 deg. and tighten cyl 1,2,3. torque to 18-22NM
Old 10-09-16, 06:07   #57
tubular2
Gold Members

Car: 87 berlina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular2 View Post
ha ah i thought that at first but then reckoned i needed to consult google and find out what the process is. came back to calaisturbo ,thanks again this site has saved me heaps in $$$ for diagnostic and procedures for my rb30.

this senario for me was after approx 4000 km from rebuild with head only getting cleaned,new cam ,new lifters and adjustable camgear my car developed a ticking at 3000 rpm and stayed until just over 4000 rpm.
so i removed rocker cover to see what i could see and the 5 th cyl left and and right and right 6th rocker i could move up and down. when i checked bolts the rear ones were heaps looser with one being near hand tight !

so to reinterate what i followed on CT cam notch/dowel to top. then tighten cyl 4,5,6 rotate 180 deg. and tighten cyl 1,2,3. torque to 18-22NM

So now i have done the above and engine going better. also found my ellerys manual and suggests same process for reinstalling cam BUT i have asked 3 mechanics and 2 out of 3 have said i need to check with feeler guage each cylinder at tdc. My question is as i didnt change cam just had to retighten rocker cradle bolts is will it cause damage to engine if i just leave it as speced in the ellery manual?