Tyres Now

Old 21-06-16, 13:54   #1
87vlbrlna
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Lack of low end torque!!

Hi guys! I apologise in advance if this has been posted in the wrong section

Without getting into a lot of detail i own a n/a vl with a 2.5" cat back exhaust, advanced dizzy timing and cam taming.

I have only driven one other vl which had a few issues so i don't have a lot to go off and i don't know if all vl's are like this but my vl lacks bottom end torque.

Off the line wet or dry i will get literally no wheel spin even i press down full throttle! Usually you can feel when its on the border of spinning out but up until 2,500 revs there is little power.

I am to the understanding that it is just a 3ltr n/a 6 but I've taken a few people for a drive and they all think that there should be a lot more torque considering i have advanced my cam timing by a tooth.

Adjusting the cam timing has made it go harder and it made the power come in at 2500 instead of 3000 revs but i expected a lot more down low especially with the advanced dizzy timing.

If this is just how n/a vl's are i am willing to accept it but if anyone has had a similar issue or a link to another thread regarding this topic i would love to know how to fix/improve it!

My best bet is something electrical cause i have had a few issues with my car going really good than loosing its power and going like crap but I'm yet to find the cause!

Much appreciate if anyone can help

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
87vlbrlna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-16, 21:34   #2
BigM22
Booooooooosssssttt!

Car: 87` Exec Daily Driven
Is it spluttering or leaning towards a misfire when you load it up? Or is it just a slug?

Also im not sure if advancing your timing like that is a good idea. My understanding would be to keep your ignition timing advanced a few degrees (This is where your increase will come from) and reset your cam timing to standard (It'll probably be over advanced), in order to get more responsive power.
How did you alter the cam timing btw?

Over-advancing the timing will also cause a loss in torque that you're speaking of
Old 22-06-16, 11:34   #3
Duke57TT
Missile Performance

Trader Rating: (18)
Send a message via MSN to Duke57TT
They won't blow the tyres off just mashing it in an auto.. even with a single spinner. In the wet they would.. but in the dry with decent tyres, not a chance.

Go and pay $50 for a dyno run and see what its doing.
Old 23-06-16, 16:03   #4
87vlbrlna
Player

Car:
Allright understood. Yeah well even in the wet it simply wont spin em unless the wheel is turned a bit. Can you suggest any places that are good with rb30's around Melbourne? Was thinking nistune but i would writher get the same result somewhere else instead paying an arm and a leg for nistune to take a look at it.

Cheers

Old 23-06-16, 16:12   #5
87vlbrlna
Player

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM22 View Post
Is it spluttering or leaning towards a misfire when you load it up? Or is it just a slug?

Also im not sure if advancing your timing like that is a good idea. My understanding would be to keep your ignition timing advanced a few degrees (This is where your increase will come from) and reset your cam timing to standard (It'll probably be over advanced), in order to get more responsive power.

Over-advancing the timing will also cause a loss in torque that you're speaking of

Nah the engine has no diagnosable issues, it runs like a strong healthy motor. The issue is that before i tampered with the cam and ignition timing it still lacked that bottom end torque.

just took the cam gear off rotated the motor and put it back on advancing by a tooth which i think is about 7 degrees from my understanding. Keeping in mind that it did make a decent improvement from standard but the low end torque stayed practically the same to stock.

Both the timing advances make a noticeable difference for instance if i was to put the ignition timing back to 15 degrees, the low end torque becomes even weaker.

From what ive experienced the cam timing advance just made the power come in at 2500 instead of 3000. I think my best bet is a dino run or checking all the electrics.

Old 27-06-16, 16:17   #6
87vlbrlna
Player

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM22 View Post

Nah man, its just sluggy off the line.

engines very healthy, doesn't miss or anything.

I talked to a few more sources and they said the exhaust might be the issue and that 2.5" is abit to big and that may be why im loosing that punch off the line.

I took the cam timing gear off and moved it a tooth forward which i think from memory is about 7 degrees advance.

The main issue is that even before the cam and ignition timing mods it still lacked that tourqe of the line although ive never driven it with a stock exhaust system on it so that may be the issue.

Going to try go and get in dyno'd to see what its doing so i will see how i go.

Thanks for the advice boys ill keep the situation posted to see if i find the final issue

Cheers