Tyres Now

Old 03-01-17, 23:19   #1
PA88VL
Player

Car: 88 VL Executive
Trader Rating: (0)
LS swap in VL- registration and process questions

Hey mates, I was just wondering;

A. what would need to be modified in order to fit an LS1/2/3 into a VL, either one of the three motors will be fine, and

B. will I be able to still register it (In NSW) with the LS motor in it, or what will I need to do to it to get registered?

I don't know what trans I want, was thinking a nice auto or maybe a manual T56, so any advice on that would be good too.

Cheers in advanced.
PA88VL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 23:55   #2
joe185i
Player

Car: HWY.88, VLC LS1
Trader Rating: (3)
I'm in the process of dropping an LS1 into my VL so I can help a bit.

A. You can notch the rear corners out of your sump and re-weld them to gain extra clearance or you can lip your K-frame so the engine sits in nicely.
There's a relocation kit made by CRS for the starter motor to be switched to the passenger side.
Modified loom (few companies do this now).
Engine mounts - Tuff mounts are best imo but I used custom made ones which sit the engine in a touch nicer with more clearance.

I'm engineering mine in Vic so it's insured and registered as an LS1 VL. There's really not a lot to it.
joe185i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 10:29   #3
Steve
( . Y . )

Car: Calais
Trader Rating: (31)
Im using the Pacemaker mount kit. Dont need to notch anything at all.
Tuff mounts are too solid and are quite annoying...

Last edited by Steve; 05-01-17 at 10:35.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 20:42   #4
3lturbo

What LS you go doesn't make a difference, as they are all the same dimensions and use the same mounts. It;s only if you go for a cast iron LM7/LQ etc that you have to change a couple of small things.

I'd go CRS starter conversion (make sure they get it right), and Tuff Mounts on a V8 cross member (mine wasn't modified or notched). The six cylinder ones end up sitting a bit higher.

Trans depends on what you're using it for. If you want to go manual you can run the factory 6 speed, or for an auto you can go glide/th400. I went th400 for mine, but that's running a built motor and turbo.

Last edited by 3lturbo; 05-01-17 at 21:04.
3lturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-17, 20:45   #5
OriginalG
Player

Car:
1. You can buy the kframe etc kits to do this cheap enough, couple hundred.

2. Will need to be engineered in your state, complete over the pits etc.

My mates in the process of doing he's, after the engine, the mounting kits, transmission, all the new wiring, its easier and cheaper to get more power out of the RB than putting an LS in and keeps it original. But if your after reliability LS it..
OriginalG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 00:26   #6
PA88VL
Player

Car: 88 VL Executive
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post
1. You can buy the kframe etc kits to do this cheap enough, couple hundred.

2. Will need to be engineered in your state, complete over the pits etc.

My mates in the process of doing he's, after the engine, the mounting kits, transmission, all the new wiring, its easier and cheaper to get more power out of the RB than putting an LS in and keeps it original. But if your after reliability LS it..
I would build the RB motor, but I love big NA power, and major low-mid range torque for when I'm feeling lazy and don't wanna rev it out or just wanna cruise, also love the sound a V8 makes.

The RB could have that power and torque but it doesn't deliver it the same way as the NA V8, and it's how the power and torque is produced which makes me want the V8, but throwing a massive turbo on the RB30, and some DOHC heads have crossed my mind a few times in the past
PA88VL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 06:03   #7
Morgz
Morgzano Racing

Car: VS forged LS3 + 82mmTurbo
Trader Rating: (27)
Send a message via MSN to Morgz
Im putting a turbo LS3 in my VS in Vic, but this can't be engineered as it's over the allowable power/weight ratio - even as a stock combination. Who are you going through Joe, as the VASS paperwork all says not allowed to exceed 20% of the max power the car came out with - in my case 215kw.

I've used CRS mounts, v8 k-frame, new VS V8 radiator, glide, ls1 computer, ID2000s, holley 1800hp pump, 82mm billet borgy, 3500 stall.

Last edited by Morgz; 06-01-17 at 06:07.
Morgz is offline   Reply With Quote