Sorry if it has been posted previously

Old School Horsepower Hero: 12.9-litre V8 Cobra
Motoring Channel Staff - 24/Feb/2006

Weineck Cobra 780CUI Limited Edition

With 1760Nm of torque, this car will accelerate
from 0-200km/h in less than 5.0 seconds. Wow

Note the twin air filters that adorn the engine

Weineck Cobra 780CUI Limited Edition

Now this is something for the horsepower heroes out there: an AC Cobra replica assembled in Germany that features a 780 cubic inch V8. That's a truly huge engine, and the Weineck Cobra 780CUI Limited Edition is no slouch - the company claims the vehicle is the "world's most powerful car is powered by a naturally aspirated V8 engine with the highest power output and torque of all road-legal cars".

In the metric scale, the engine measures 12.9-litres, or more than twice the size of the latest Holden Commodore 6.0-litre V8, and features internals that have been precision machined to Formula 1 standards.

Air scoops can be seen on many vehicles to show off, but here it is a technical necessity since this air scoop and the engine bonnet make room for the huge engine that Weineck says will slurp half a litre of fuel just by depressing the accelerator momentarily as the high-performance carburetor system feeds the engine.

The German tuning company has not released 0-100km/h performance numbers because apparently they are not relevant. Instead, the Weineck Cobra 780CUI will rocket from 0-200km/h in 4.9 seconds, and does the 0-300km/h dash in 10 seconds flat.

The 12.9-litre V8 engine can rev to 8000rpm, developing peak power of 809kW or 1100hp @ 7000rpm, which would be enough energy to power a small village in Iceland.

Torque levels for the old-school engine are even more stunning - 1760Nm @ 5600rpm.

Weineck says that the world's most powerful, strongest and quickest accelerating road-legal car is also equipped with a number of modern driving aids, such as ASR, ESP, ABS and so on. The company claims that even half-way up its rev range - to 4000rpm - the Weineck Cobra accelerates faster than any other super car when fully driven, and that the accelerator pedal always has to be operated very gently and with respect.

"Words cannot describe what will happen if you want to experience the full potential of this ULTIMATE driving machine," says Weineck. "There is just no comparison with anything ever built to be used on the road!!!"

"What happens above 5000rpm is too much for human vocabulary. It's more like Sol 5 on Starship Enterprise! You feel like being in a time machine with corners approaching so fast that you just won't believe it. From now on, your brain and body have to work at maximum speed. Otherwise it is better not to enter this world..." Dire warning indeed, but this is a truly insane vehicle.

The Weineck Cobra 780CUI Limited Edition is being built using a MIG welded, self-supporting tubular frame (diameter 4-inches) to absorb the incredibly high torsion forces created by the engine, and carbon composite materials are also used to reinforce the body for maximum rigidity.

Made from aluminium and titanium, the suspension system includes a continuously variable coil spring system in conjunction with a specially engineered high-performance brake system (based on Brembo components) with internally ventilated, punched brake discs (front and rear axle) for the highest levels of active safety.

On the front axle, the Weineck Cobra 780CUI Limited Edition is equipped with special Weineck 3-piece 18-inch wheels and intermediate tyres of the dimension 255/40 ZR18. On the rear axle, tyres of the size 315/35 ZR18 are fitted to 18-inch rims.

Power is transferred to the rear axle via a 4-speed extra high-performance gearbox, while the driveshafts and rear axle (equipped with a 75% limited slip differential) are designed for more than 2000Nm of torque.

The interior of the Weineck Cobra 780 cui Limited Edition will be designed individually to meet any customer's wishes. Normally, the finest British leather is being used for the upholstery of the seats, but custom options are offered nonetheless. All colours, pipings and sewings can be individually chosen and the rest of the passenger compartment is finished by using velour carpets.

For the dashboard, classic Smith instruments are being used and in case of rain, the car is equipped with a soft top to protect both the driver and the interior and if requested, a fixed hardtop is also available.

Each unit of the Weineck Cobra 780 cui Limited Edition is a unique masterpiece of German Engineering. All products used to build a Weineck Cobra 780CUI Limited Edition are engineered and produced by Weineck in Bad Gandersheim, Germany. With a weight-to-power ratio of 0.9Kg/hp, 12.9-litres of engine capacity, 1100hp and 1760Nm of torque, this is quite possibly the ultimate driving machine, a vehicle with the kind of acceleration that would make Enzo Ferrari gasp.

Weineck will build just 15 units worldwide, which will also make it one of the rarest super cars on the planet.

So what does everybody think. Almost as good as a VL hey.
boggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 00:41   #2
da_ilks
Player

Car: Liberty B4
Trader Rating: (1)
Can't imagine how that bad boy would handle with such a big V8 up front.

Impressive figures though!

*Waits for someone to develop a stroker crank for it lol
Old 02-06-06, 11:13   #3
boggie
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)

boggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 11:41   #4
JET-6
THE BANINATOR

Car: MK1 Esky 2 door(2.3 turbo), Patrol monster truck, and a EB2 XR6
Trader Rating: (68)
I have a guy that live not far from me that has a cobra that would show that up(not engine wise), its a full AU GT driveline slipped into it, even the dash faces

Email me @ thumpainc@bigpond.com
JET-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 12:24   #5
PROGMH

Car:
Trader Rating: (26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET-6
I have a guy that live not far from me that has a cobra that would show that up(not engine wise), its a full AU GT driveline slipped into it, even the dash faces
I cannot see in anyway how a cobra with AU running gear would even squeak near this thing.
PROGMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 12:27   #6
Epitaph
Y U MAD THO?

Car: BF XR8 Ute
Trader Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO89
I cannot see in anyway how a cobra with AU running gear would even squeak near this thing.
i agree, and there wasnt even an AU GT?
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 12:30   #7
PROGMH

Car:
I am amazed readint that article. 0-200 in 4.9 seconds and 0-300 in 10.0!!
If it got traction its like doing the quarter mile in like 6 seconds lol
Old 02-06-06, 12:39   #8
MR.MAXPOWER
Under New Management!!!

Car: StockoVL
Trader Rating: (2)
look at the size of the sump

man I could have a bath in it
Old 02-06-06, 13:16   #9
Morgz
Morgzano Racing

Car: MRGM62 - LSX Tuner #8
Trader Rating: (27)
Send a message via MSN to Morgz
Thats what a car is all about, massive power..

You could stick it in 4th have the tyres in smoke, from a standing start!
Old 02-06-06, 13:17   #10
veeELL
1 more week!

Car: VLT30T, VLCT Aero
Trader Rating: (6)
im in love, that is the most unreal power to weight ratio of any car. Imagine thhe burnouts this thing could do.
veeELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 14:16   #11
PROGMH

Car:
i'd imagine that traction at 250+ kmh would be fairly hard to control. You'd need a wicked suspension set up with some M/Ts! lol
Old 02-06-06, 14:46   #12
KIL-351
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (20)
this will be my next car!! when i sell my chev i will buy an AC Cobra with a 427.. none of that 351 ****

theyre such a beautiful car to see on the road

Last edited by KIL-351; 02-06-06 at 14:50.
KIL-351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-06, 22:12   #13
NVIOUS
Player

Car: VN Aero
"world's most powerful car is powered by a naturally aspirated V8 engine with the highest power output and torque of all road-legal cars".

What a load of crap, its got a decent sized nitrous setup on it, not exactly "road-legal". Rather "cheating" to say its the most powerful "naturally aspirated V8" and run nitrous...

Still a nice car though, but i'd rather a AC 427 with twin turbs :P
Old 02-06-06, 22:44   #14
HDT086
Player

Car: Turbo Fun
Trader Rating: (15)
Send a message via MSN to HDT086
This is what German Engineering is all about not many understand as this thread speaks for itself! Look at Porsche,Audi,BMW,VW,etc there up there with the Highest Standards in car makers & Engineering,The Boxer Engine for exsample was first made in a 356 Model Porsche with a aluminum body in 1948 then in Mid 1980's the Japs copied the Design of the Boxer engine from Porsche for there Subapoo cars,I just recently been in my Girlfriends Dad's 3 year old Carrera GT i can tell you this thing will beat most fast street production cars out there he said to me that he beats Imports top end they have no guts after 300KM with his toy it does 205MPH top speed I'm trying to convice him in buying the new Audi Quattro full family car with Race car Le Mans Engineering there worth $250,000 top of line model he said he will keep it in mind hehehe.
HDT086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 00:04   #15
M Taylor
Official Member

Car: 88 Vl berlina & Vs exec
Trader Rating: (19)
Send a message via MSN to M Taylor
just lookin at the pics the two engines have printed on them 550 & 610? cubic inch displacement does the 780 still run twin carb's?
M Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 11:34   #16
NVIOUS
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDT086
I just recently been in my Girlfriends Dad's 3 year old Carrera GT i can tell you this thing will beat most fast street production cars out there he said to me that he beats Imports top end they have no guts after 300KM with his toy it does 205MPH top speed
While an awsome car, the GT would hardly beat a quick import. I've seen street racing videos from the US where blown mustang cobra's were beating up on a carrera GT, and thats at top-end highway racing too. I think from memory the GT only runs a low 11-sec 1/4 mile? While still damn fast, there are alot faster out there, specially in the US - where 1000+rwhp supras regularly kill hayabusa's & turbo gsxr's in top-end highway racing. And cost less than half the price tag of a porsche
Old 03-06-06, 12:18   #17
PROGMH

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVIOUS
While an awsome car, the GT would hardly beat a quick import. I've seen street racing videos from the US where blown mustang cobra's were beating up on a carrera GT, and thats at top-end highway racing too. I think from memory the GT only runs a low 11-sec 1/4 mile? While still damn fast, there are alot faster out there, specially in the US - where 1000+rwhp supras regularly kill hayabusa's & turbo gsxr's in top-end highway racing. And cost less than half the price tag of a porsche
Ofcourse a 1000+rwhp supra will knock off a super car... its hardly stock. It's like saying 'yeah the new SS commodore is pretty quick, but my mates blown, alcohol injected torana would knock it off'
Old 03-06-06, 21:01   #18
NVIOUS
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO89
Ofcourse a 1000+rwhp supra will knock off a super car... its hardly stock. It's like saying 'yeah the new SS commodore is pretty quick, but my mates blown, alcohol injected torana would knock it off'
I was only quoting the post that said the carrera beats most imports, one would assume it meant modified imports - as just as you mentioned it would be pointless comparing a supercar to stock imports.
Old 18-06-06, 17:46   #19
sampo
CARBY FED!! :D

Car: VL 5L
Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via MSN to sampo
it probobly does beat MOST imports

Truely an awesome car! -
sampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-06, 13:55   #20
Sinister
Player

Car: Zonda, Maybach, Koenigsegg, Veyron daily...
Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via MSN to Sinister
ah yeah, little old 12.9litre aye, is that all
Old 19-06-06, 14:46   #21
Mad_Aussi
Player

Car: '89 R31
mm drop 5th
Old 03-07-06, 15:03   #22
ENOTB
Player

Car: Truck
Trader Rating: (2)
why does it have 550 cid on the rocker covers? isnt it 780?

and another one looks like it says 610??

variable displacement?? lol
Old 03-07-06, 15:04   #23
Epitaph
Y U MAD THO?

Car: BF XR8 Ute
Trader Rating: (14)
lol 550cid before additional crank stroke i would imagine.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote