Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > Other Car Discussion
G-Cylinder

Old 24-05-11, 10:26   #1
OUT2ANIL8
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
battery keeps goin flat? VS V8

i have a vs 5litre,and need some opinions on what is causing my battery to keep goin flat, the problem is no matter how often i charge the battery considering its a fairly new battery were the light shows up from green to white to red, it still on green but when im driving from home to work or general driving around a low voltage appears on my radar detector which informs me my battery is goin to be flat again and when i park the car and turn it off when i start it up again it wont start pretty much flat,now i have taken to auto electrics and they cant find a problem cause when they have it its fully charged from after i charge it,it has a new alternator,battery is fine,all wiring is fine have checked all lights from interior light to boot light and all works fine and nothin is left on it also has a sub amp thinkin it might drain from the stereo system but i took the fuse out of that,but didnt solve it kept on goin flat and the auto electric guy reckons that theres a small drain but we cant seem to find it,normally it takes weeks before it gets flat but recently i have been charging the battery everytime i get in it and low volts appear on radar detector again,im at a loss of what it could be so im asking if anyone might shed some light or having some troubles any help will be appreactied as im pretty much over it and cant deter what it could be.im takin it to auto electrics again this afternoon and the battery is on charge once again as it was flat after i got to work,so it seems to be gettin worse any ideas,also with me charging the battery everyday even though it comes up as green meaning fully charged am i stuffing up the battery by doin this? thanks
OUT2ANIL8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-11, 10:58   #2
CRMNIL
Player

Car:
hey had the same problem with my mums car she has a vs statesman v8 dash light use to come on and the car would barly start sometimes we played with the plug on the side of the alternator and used a multimeter and the battery was getting charged it fixed the problem, theres also a wire that goes to the battery make sure it is still in good condition hope it helps
CRMNIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-11, 14:01   #3
OUT2ANIL8
Player

Car:
thanks CRMNIL tried playin with the plug side of alt no good,which wire on the battery positive or negative side,the positive side in red all them are ok and the negative on the black they seem intact to, theres a wire from the negative to the body of car is ok to, but still goes flat,i have charged it enuff to get home and hopefully it will die when i get to auto elcs so they can see the problem at that time.
OUT2ANIL8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-11, 15:38   #4
CRMNIL
Player

Car:
on the positive had problems twice with it the first time it was a wire that tells the alternator to charge was gone so we trimmed it and re-attached it worked fine but than the other week the plug on the alternator played up so sorry it didn't help hopefully nothing to bad
CRMNIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 20:08   #5
RB30DEVL
Player

Car: VY SS Commodore
re - battery going flat

Had a school teacher many years ago, had his VK Commodore serviced and they had to take the dash out , they forgot to plug the wires back into the dash , didn't they ??

Well, it wasn't till the battery and the alternator were changed , that they figured out that there had to be something else wrong with it,so they had to plug the dash back in , the charge light in the dash is a part of the charging circuit, not just a warning light.

Yes , the stereo system will drain the battery flat , if the battery and / or charging system isn't designed to cope with the power consumed by the unit.

I can remember this guy at TAFE talking about his mate who had a small 4 cylinder and he had a huge stereo system in his car, the thing is the system wouldn't work to its full potential unless the engine had the crap revved out of it.
RB30DEVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-11, 21:09   #6
LS1vycal
Player

Car:
nothing to do with a stereo at all??? i had the same problem with a capacitor in my skyline it was draining it via a ground.
LS1vycal is offline   Reply With Quote