CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > V8 Discussion
Oz Drive - Driver Education

Reply

 

Thread Tools
Old 03-09-06, 17:01   #1
PHS
000000
 
PHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-08-05
Location: Melbourne, eastern suburbs
Car: BJ70 & BT1
Trader Rating: (9)
Question 185i what mods?

hey guys my brother just bought a VR HSV STATESMAN 185i....

as you's know there not a light car at all so she need's a bit more kick
than 185 at the fly

whats the best thing to do mod wise to get some more power with out brakeing the bank ?

so i was thinking a chip would be the go ? has any one done a chip to a std 185i and got any feed back ? places to get it done and prices?

any other idea's about what mods could be done to get here gonig a bit better ?
__________________
www.jpc.com.au/
PHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 18:29   #2
sandman
Player
 
sandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18-02-06
Location: QLD, nearly SE QLD.
Car: the one the photo
Trader Rating: (5)
someone who really knows delco's can tune those engine's for more power better fuel economy and driveability, with out really doing to much to it.
but if you want some mods, get it to breath. cai, nice extractors, good exhaust. small cams are nice. shift kit the auto. makes them really nice to drive.
__________________
RECARO seat mounts for everthing
Idealseat Company
03 9555 7788
www.idealseat.com.au
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 19:37   #3
PHS
000000
 
PHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-08-05
Location: Melbourne, eastern suburbs
Car: BJ70 & BT1
Trader Rating: (9)
^^^^ well its got a HSV exhaust already, wheres delco QLD ??
__________________
www.jpc.com.au/
PHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 19:43   #4
sandman
Player
 
sandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18-02-06
Location: QLD, nearly SE QLD.
Car: the one the photo
Trader Rating: (5)
a locol guy, Terry at Paramount Performance does a pretty good job.
that's if your in toowoomba though
__________________
RECARO seat mounts for everthing
Idealseat Company
03 9555 7788
www.idealseat.com.au
.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 19:45   #5
Boyracer
Polarized
 
Boyracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-07-04
Location: NSW, North
Car: VL 5.0, VS 3.8
Trader Rating: (19)
First things are get thermo fans instead of the big metal mutha,make sure your injectors are clean and run premium fuel,advance your dizzy to 12deg instead of 10 deg.
__________________
In a corrupt society only the strong survive.
Boyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 20:35   #6
PHS
000000
 
PHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-08-05
Location: Melbourne, eastern suburbs
Car: BJ70 & BT1
Trader Rating: (9)
^^^ i have no idea how to advance the dizzy, why thermos ???

and does any one know what chips are avalible for the 185i and if any one knows where to go in victoria to get it done.
__________________
www.jpc.com.au/
PHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 20:39   #7
VK5.0
Registered User
 
Join Date: 01-06-06
Location: NSW, nowra
Car: Custom green over silver VN
Trader Rating: (6)
also sum higher lsd diff gears and stally with a kitted auto wouldnt go astray, not much point having a tough car if all its gunna do is smokem...
sandman and boyracer are pretty much on tha go.

the massive fan on the motor uses bout 5% of the power so takin that off and putting thermos in free up the motor abit.
VK5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 21:00   #8
Morgz
Morgzano Racing
 
Morgz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28-01-04
Location: VIC, Ballarat
Car: MRGM62 - LSX Tuner #8
Trader Rating: (27)
Send a message via MSN to Morgz
COME racing do a chip and cam package that your prob chasing..

However they already got an extra 20kw without changing much, the VT's made 195kw so I guess thats the safe limit based around factory parameters..
__________________
Morganzo Racing
Morgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-06, 16:24   #9
Sinister
Player
 
Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: 20-01-04
Location: Melbourne, Melbourne west
Car: Zonda, Maybach, Koenigsegg, Veyron daily...
Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via MSN to Sinister
definately diff gears, without adding power you will feel that mod the most out of anything else (acceleration) but imo having a statesman revving off its tits doing 100kph defeats the purpose of the car.. leave her stock or get forced induction with a mild motor
saying that, def get an exhaust to start off. even that aint cheap but it frees up an easy 10rwkw and u feel every one of em.
__________________
In V8 land, we're better than you, and we know it.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 21:17   #10
YPSI5L
Player
 
YPSI5L's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-05-06
Location: Canberra, Belconnen
Car: VN calais 5L
Trader Rating: (0)
HSV exhaust... pppffft. Get yourself some pacemaker headers and twin 2.5inch system, cai, k&n filter and a tune. Leave the diff gears alone. Stally for the box is not needed imo.
YPSI5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 21:20   #11
PROGMH
Moderator
 
PROGMH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16-10-05
Location: VIC, VIC
Car:
Trader Rating: (26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YPSI5L
HSV exhaust... pppffft. Get yourself some pacemaker headers and twin 2.5inch system, cai, k&n filter and a tune. Leave the diff gears alone. Stally for the box is not needed imo.
diff gears and stall will help a 5 litre remarkably... they are so slow and doughy off the line! My mates one can't even do a braky and its a single spinner!!
PROGMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 09:06   #12
Wilko16
Player
 
Wilko16's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23-03-06
Location: Melbourne, Western Suburbs
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO89
diff gears and stall will help a 5 litre remarkably... they are so slow and doughy off the line! My mates one can't even do a braky and its a single spinner!!
There is something very wrong if a 5 litre can not do linelockers, must be running like a pig
Wilko16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 10:22   #13
NZ EVLHSV
Player
 
NZ EVLHSV's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-06
Location: NZ, Auckland
Car: Gen-F GTS
Trader Rating: (0)
Headers, exhaust, CAI, 70mm throttle body and 3.45 diff gears (if the this HSV model didn’t already have 3.45?)

Do it all at once and you will notice a vast improvement; otherwise individually these mods don’t make big gains
NZ EVLHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 13:25   #14
Sinister
Player
 
Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: 20-01-04
Location: Melbourne, Melbourne west
Car: Zonda, Maybach, Koenigsegg, Veyron daily...
Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via MSN to Sinister
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilko16
There is something very wrong if a 5 litre can not do linelockers, must be running like a pig
agreed, mine stock would leave lines up the road from a dead start (single spinner too) it got better when i got the zorst too
__________________
In V8 land, we're better than you, and we know it.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-06, 20:32   #15
VN-1986
Player
 
VN-1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18-09-05
Location: Melbourne, Se Subs
Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
would the principal ove these mods be the same for a VR Manual Clubby?
VN-1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-06, 17:04   #16
*NiGhTeR*
Player
 
*NiGhTeR*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-10-04
Location: Melbourne, S.E Suburbs
Car: HSV VY MALOO
Trader Rating: (8)
diff gears, larger throttle body, good extractors in to twin pipes all the way through. cam and chip and a good dyno tune
*NiGhTeR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-06, 17:11   #17
RB-GEM
LS1 Powered
 
RB-GEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: 20-07-06
Location: NSW, Western Sydney
Car: LS1 powered VH , VS Statesman
Trader Rating: (4)
Dont bother chipping the ECU unless you've changed the cam etc . If you want just basic mods , you'll need a decent set of Tri-y extractors & either a single 3 inch or dual 2 1/4 inch exhaust with twin cats . Depending on how or where you drive it change the diff gears to 3.45 ( if you do alot of H/way k's ) or 3.9s if you dont care . A 2500 rpm stall converter will also help it out of the hole . Leave the 185i chip for now untill you decide where you want to go as far as engine mods are concerned . I have these mods done to my VS Calais ( apart from the converter ) & it really made a noticable difference
__________________
Mini tubbed VH LS1 powered ......... LS3 in the build
RB-GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-06, 18:32   #18
Sinister
Player
 
Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: 20-01-04
Location: Melbourne, Melbourne west
Car: Zonda, Maybach, Koenigsegg, Veyron daily...
Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via MSN to Sinister
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB-GEM
Dont bother chipping the ECU unless you've changed the cam etc . If you want just basic mods , you'll need a decent set of Tri-y extractors & either a single 3 inch or dual 2 1/4 inch exhaust with twin cats . Depending on how or where you drive it change the diff gears to 3.45 ( if you do alot of H/way k's ) or 3.9s if you dont care . A 2500 rpm stall converter will also help it out of the hole . Leave the 185i chip for now untill you decide where you want to go as far as engine mods are concerned . I have these mods done to my VS Calais ( apart from the converter ) & it really made a noticable difference
off topic but any more info on your gem? sounds sweet
__________________
In V8 land, we're better than you, and we know it.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-06, 14:13   #19
ovq01
Gold Members
 
ovq01's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-05
Location: QLD, BrIZveGaS
Car: 355 VQ Statesman, Vl Turbo, 4.2L Smoke Stack Patrol !
Trader Rating: (1)
I have a VQ with a VS GTS 355 motor in it cam ect running on the statesman 165kw computer with only 6deg of timming and it is laying power skids 250mtrs up the street... on 3.08 diff gears and no stally... Just get a little cam and memcal and open the exhaust up a bit and you will be sweet if you dont have that much money extractors twin 2.5inch twin cat and 2 center mufflers let her roar... and get a hyrdra track irs centre..... generally if you get one out of a vs there a 3.45 centre HSV only wreckers sell them for around 600.00
__________________
WRECKING:- VL CALAIS, BERLINA'S. Many parts available, just send me a PM or you can shoot me a text to 0432659900.
ovq01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-06, 14:52   #20
RB-GEM
LS1 Powered
 
RB-GEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: 20-07-06
Location: NSW, Western Sydney
Car: LS1 powered VH , VS Statesman
Trader Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovq01
I have a VQ with a VS GTS 355 motor in it cam ect running on the statesman 165kw computer with only 6deg of timming and it is laying power skids 250mtrs up the street... on 3.08 diff gears and no stally... Just get a little cam and memcal and open the exhaust up a bit and you will be sweet if you dont have that much money extractors twin 2.5inch twin cat and 2 center mufflers let her roar... and get a hyrdra track irs centre..... generally if you get one out of a vs there a 3.45 centre HSV only wreckers sell them for around 600.00
I would'nt be caining your statesman too much , strokers dont like standard memcals .

The progress on the Gemi has slowed down a bit , been waiting for a patrol sump to come down from Queensland . And my CPC plenum is ready to be picked up , just been so busy .
__________________
Mini tubbed VH LS1 powered ......... LS3 in the build
RB-GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-06, 12:50   #21
PHS
000000
 
PHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-08-05
Location: Melbourne, eastern suburbs
Car: BJ70 & BT1
Trader Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *NiGhTeR*
diff gears, larger throttle body, good extractors in to twin pipes all the way through. cam and chip and a good dyno tune
about a bigger T/B does any one know any that go str8 on or if not st8 on some thing that i can get a coversion plate to suit, and how much it all would cost i can fit it my self of course, if any one knows a price and where to go that would be sweet ??? thanks guys

and about the cam, /lifters ? ( do they have to be done too ?? ) & chip and good tune, any one done this and around what price am i looking at and, wheres a good place melbourne ???

any help with this guys, would be good just so shes got a bit more go.....
__________________
www.jpc.com.au/
PHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-06, 19:00   #22
ovq01
Gold Members
 
ovq01's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-05
Location: QLD, BrIZveGaS
Car: 355 VQ Statesman, Vl Turbo, 4.2L Smoke Stack Patrol !
Trader Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB-GEM
I would'nt be caining your statesman too much , strokers dont like standard memcals .

The progress on the Gemi has slowed down a bit , been waiting for a patrol sump to come down from Queensland . And my CPC plenum is ready to be picked up , just been so busy .
In what way???? I got told it would be fine..
__________________
WRECKING:- VL CALAIS, BERLINA'S. Many parts available, just send me a PM or you can shoot me a text to 0432659900.
ovq01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-06, 19:08   #23
NZ EVLHSV
Player
 
NZ EVLHSV's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-06
Location: NZ, Auckland
Car: Gen-F GTS
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHS
about a bigger T/B does any one know any that go str8 on or if not st8 on some thing that i can get a coversion plate to suit, and how much it all would cost i can fit it my self of course, if any one knows a price and where to go that would be sweet ??? thanks guys
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/70mm-THROTTLE...QQcmdZViewItem
NZ EVLHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-06, 19:27   #24
King-3l
WWF loves the Bears
 
King-3l's Avatar
 
Join Date: 26-07-05
Location: NSW, under your mother
Car: VLT in the build, under 2 inches of dust
Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via MSN to King-3l
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovq01
In what way???? I got told it would be fine..
Whoever told you that should be shot. a stroker will be alot more thirsty than a stocker, so while it may cope down low, she'll be leaning out up the top.

It might not be as big a problem as when it's boosted, but your engine will still suffer from the same principals. Lots of air + not much fuel = busted engines

I'd be running the best fuel money can buy till you get that looked at.
__________________
I hate my car
King-3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-06, 20:55   #25
KALAY
Fear is exciting for me
 
Join Date: 23-01-06
Location: VIC, Here
Car: VL Calais
Trader Rating: (6)
Is it IRS? might have a 3.9 lsd rear end for sale in a month or so out of a VS clubby...

dont do the chip untill you done everything else first...
cold air intake, larger throttle body, extractors, exhaust, super ultra high flow cats, manual

ohhh getta supercharger
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by elz View Post
if u hear eddys vl - jet3lt, it sounds like a bunch of budgies coming at you, and one big pigeon
KALAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 03:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.