Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > walkinshaw.net > General
Calais Turbo Advertising

Old 30-05-07, 22:29   #1
4dzsuk
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (1)
daily

i met a dude at the ****son shops a few weeks ago. he was dring a walky so i ran over and starting asking him about it. turns out its been his daily driver since new. it had over 300,000 i think. it was in pritty good nick considering the kilometers it had on it. i questioned him about it and he said well i rather it be my daily then colect cobwebs in the shed and he said he loved driving it. and i thought to myself good on him just my little story i thought i would share with ya's. btw i think it was build number 185 but it was a month or two ago now so i cant remember but that rings a bell.
Old 31-05-07, 19:54   #2
sly
Player

Car: Flash suzuki sierra
Trader Rating: (0)
It would be nice to drive one everday but theres a down side. I have had many nice cars over the last 5 or so years but i find they all become just regular transport when you drive them too much. The thrill goes and its not as fun. When you dont drive your car for a while then you jump in for a spin i think you appreciate the car more. Thats me anyway.
Old 31-05-07, 20:08   #3
4dzsuk
Player

Car:
yeah to be honest if it was me it would be locked away in the garage but i get where hes comin from, he said to me why let it waste away might as well get my moneys worth out of it
Old 01-06-07, 07:41   #4
NZ EVLHSV
Player

Car: Gen-F GTS
There is something cool about that car being used daily, but I agree with Sly about the thrill of driving a loud, quick, low car only once in a while. It is a shame that a few of these cars haven’t done more than 10,000kms over the past 20 years
Old 01-06-07, 10:26   #5
4dzsuk
Player

Car:
you gotta wonder ah. like what if u owned one and never drove it, people would ask what was a walkinshaw like to drive and u would be like um i dunno never drivin it. but on the other hand the thrill on driving it would be lost if u drove it everywhere, i reakon walkshaws are sunday cars. something that u drive for fun not to get from a to b but thats just my opion
Old 01-06-07, 15:16   #6
sly
Player

Car: Flash suzuki sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ EVLHSV
There is something cool about that car being used daily, but I agree with Sly about the thrill of driving a loud, quick, low car only once in a while. It is a shame that a few of these cars havenít done more than 10,000kms over the past 20 years
i use to drive mine a bit but now that its getting close too 10,000 klm i have stopped driving it as much.
Old 01-06-07, 17:06   #7
NZ EVLHSV
Player

Car: Gen-F GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
i use to drive mine a bit but now that its getting close too 10,000 klm i have stopped driving it as much.
Ideally you need to buy a second Walky that has 70kms+ on it that you can drive
Old 03-06-07, 09:43   #8
fenderslash
Player

Car: Walky number 700
I bought mine as my daily driver back in 2001. My reasoning was that I could have a new base model Commodore six for $30000 and be bored fleshless or have a Walky for $25000 and actually enjoy the drive to work every day. But I was always worried about the car. For one thing all my past cars have been badly sun damaged while parked all day every day at work. It was especially heartbreaking to see my beautiful little V8 Torana hatch slowly be destroyed like that. Also I was always worried about shopping trolly bingles and the like. And theft and vandalism too - I had it parked on the street at a mate's place one time and I came out to find someone had spat on the driver's window. That was easy enough to clean but it could easily have been a car keys "speed stripe" down the side or something similar instead. In the end I was really getting quite paranoid about it all, and believe it or not I ended up using my stock standard 1951 FX Holden as my daily driver! It was in reasonably poor condition so I wasn't worried about it. Stock condition = no indicators; no seatbelts; worthless windscreen wipers; worthless headlights; independant rear suspension (it does precisely what it wants to); etc. That was living!!

As we all know the prices of muscle cars keep going higher and higher so I made the decision in 2005 to buy a new Commodore ute for a daily driver and keep the Walky as my weekend hobby car so it wouldn't get run-down and lose its value. I sleep much better at work now(!) knowing the Walky is safe at home in the lock up garage away from vandals, thieves and the baking sun.

Good on the dude for using his as a daily, because that's really what I wanted mine for. I'm happy with using mine for Sunday fun though. Hey, it's Sunday! I'm off to have some Walky fun!
Old 03-06-07, 18:42   #9
SShan
Player

Car: Walkinshaw #49, VS II HSV Clubsport, SS torana-Gen3/ZF-6, SS ute
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ EVLHSV
Ideally you need to buy a second Walky that has 70kms+ on it that you can drive
Yeah, i've run that 1 by the missus. Didnt get any words, just the look
Old 05-06-07, 16:41   #10
blownhsv
Player

Car: SS sedan and XR8 ute

i just bought a VP SS so i can drive to work to save my VZ SS ute... this trip i decided to take the walky for a cruise down the coast to work. 550km here, then gotta go back... i was over it 88km out of Townsville (Ayr) these cars suck as daily drives....nice to cruise in tho
Old 05-06-07, 23:53   #11
ILLUSIV
CT member since 2000!

Trader Rating: (16)
Send a message via ICQ to ILLUSIV Send a message via MSN to ILLUSIV
I have an 89 Camry wagon as a daily. I don't have to worry about it at all, can leave it anywhere etc.....

Also have my VL Calais Turbo.
1988 VL SS Group A SV Walkinshaw #369 - WALLKY