User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Regional Events > New Zealand
Calais Turbo Advertising

Old 24-08-11, 17:38   #51
NZ-SXYHDT
Gold Members

Car: VK Wagon, VL Calais Turbo
Trader Rating: (0)
legend Marty,Thanks for researching that for us.
One less thing have to worry about now
Cheers
Old 24-08-11, 19:45   #52
ss nut
Player

Car: HDT Calais Sport Wagon(V8)1976 Sandman Van(V8)VS Commodore Ute,2000 Astra Sport.
If you want to call him,His name is Barry Dowler,From Motueka Testing Station and the number is
03 528 8828,He is on the Low volume cert testing board.

Cheers Marty
Old 01-11-12, 21:40   #53
NZBerlina
Player

Car: VL Berlina
LVVTA Cert Question

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you have been through the NA to Turbo cert process and what it all involves??

When they cert your car is it a full check over on the whole car? or just check what you added is safe and done properly?
Also does putting a turbo on require your brakes to be upgraded, I assume that since the weight of the car wont be changing im not required to do this. Correct me if im wrong.

Any info would be great, am going into this blind so far.

Thanks in advance,
Alex.
NZBerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 04:57   #54
NZ-SXYHDT
Gold Members

Car: VK Wagon, VL Calais Turbo
Hi Alex,
Think there was a cert thread in here some where, but you will need to do a few things to the car that arent factory.
For example, the cert guy will check over the whole car with fine tooth chomb. Hes putting his name to this so he will be checking and recording every thing.
They will make you put 2x drive shaft loops in if you are still running the factory one.
they will record ride height, wheel size, body kit etc for the cert plate.
As for the brakes, as long as it pulls up in the required distance under repeated stops it will be fine with what you have, assuming you have disc rear end?
if its drum then change it.
To be honest your best to up grade to the V8/Turbo brakes on front anyway as minimum.
hope some of that helped.
cheers
Kelvin
Old 02-11-12, 11:34   #55
Gainsborg
Player

Car: VP Senator 5000i, VL Berlina
Me and my brother replaced the RB20E in our Berlina with a RB20DET. My brother got it certed (4 years ago) and from memroy it went straight through. We didn't have to add any tailshaft loops and it still has the dodgy drums at the back.
Gainsborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 14:59   #56
NZBerlina
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-SXYHDT View Post
Hi Alex,
Think there was a cert thread in here some where, but you will need to do a few things to the car that arent factory.
For example, the cert guy will check over the whole car with fine tooth chomb. Hes putting his name to this so he will be checking and recording every thing.
They will make you put 2x drive shaft loops in if you are still running the factory one.
they will record ride height, wheel size, body kit etc for the cert plate.
As for the brakes, as long as it pulls up in the required distance under repeated stops it will be fine with what you have, assuming you have disc rear end?
if its drum then change it.
To be honest your best to up grade to the V8/Turbo brakes on front anyway as minimum.
hope some of that helped.
cheers
Kelvin
Hey Kelvin

Thanks for the info, im assuming its like a wof check but much more involved? my vl is pretty stock standard at the moment apart from the interceptors i put on, so still auto and drummies at the rear.

I would have thought since the turbo / na models both have the same size front brake piston it shouldnt be a prob?

I had read somewhere on here that discs in the rear dont make much of a difference (i have no idea about this claim) plus i have no idea where i would source one local and arent the VN ones slightly wider than the VL diffs?

Also if I was to change it from auto to manual or changing from drum to disc would these require cert?

Many thanks,
Alex.

Last edited by NZBerlina; 02-11-12 at 15:08.
Old 02-11-12, 15:29   #57
NZ_GTS
Player

Car: '87 VL GTS Cherry Black Mica with RB25DET inside
Yes a cert check is kinda like a hard out wof check - they check and sign off on the safety of any modifications made and make sure the car is legal.
Turbo and n/a brakes are different - the turbo calipers are finned (to help them cool quicker) and I think they are slightly larger.
Rear brakes on any car only do small proportion of the braking (30-40%), so upgrading the rears will only make a small difference. However, your brakes can never be too good or too big!
There is a tech thread for fitting VN disks to a VL - do a search.
Complete VL disk diffs do turn up on Trade Me every now and then - a complete diff swap is pretty easy.
A VN diff is wider than a VL one so don't bother with these unless you wanna run into dramas fitting big wheels.
Regarding what needs certing and what doesn't - your best bet is to download this;
http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents.html#thresholds
Technically you could upgrade your brakes (with better stock gear) and not get a cert, but it probably wouldn't be legal.
The cert on my car cost me over $500, but that was for a full rebuild - they're not cheap, so if you are considering several mods, you'd be better off doing them all at once so as to avoid paying the fee twice.
NZ_GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 18:01   #58
ss nut
Player

Car: HDT Calais Sport Wagon(V8)1976 Sandman Van(V8)VS Commodore Ute,2000 Astra Sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZBerlina View Post
Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you have been through the NA to Turbo cert process and what it all involves??

When they cert your car is it a full check over on the whole car? or just check what you added is safe and done properly?
Also does putting a turbo on require your brakes to be upgraded, I assume that since the weight of the car wont be changing im not required to do this. Correct me if im wrong.

Any info would be great, am going into this blind so far.

Thanks in advance,
Alex.
The cert is really quite simple(nothing to stress about)You most likely will get away with out upgrading your brakesJust do everything correctly,and make it look like it has been done correctly!The cert will cover everything,Seats (if they have been changed)Larger rims etc.Contact the number that I left above and he will help you out.

Cheers Marty
Old 03-11-12, 10:59   #59
UNONT2
Oh Yeah?

Car: 1987 Maroon Over Silver VLCT,VH SL/X Wagon(304 Turbo V8 Build)
Trader Rating: (2)
yeah its nothing to stress about, mine passed with std front brakes and a disc brake rear,just installed some highr quality pads in, i was never made to install driveshaft loops in because my drive was upgraded to a larger unit and he said that was fine, just make sure everything looks good and nithing is rubbing on anything etc
UNONT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-12, 07:27   #60
NZBerlina
Player

Thanks for all the info guys, is much appreciated. Makes me feel like its not as hard as i had first thought! full steam ahead!
Old 28-08-13, 18:10   #61
Dinodore
Player

Car:
Does anybody know of anywhere in christchurch that does the dshaft hoops?
Dinodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-13, 18:30   #62
ss nut
Player

Is the race shop on the main road in Hornby still there?also Slyvesters on Moorhouse ave.You Can purchase them their.

cheers Marty
Old 28-08-13, 18:54   #63
Dinodore
Player

Car:
When I finish work tonight il go for a detour through hornby and have a look. What road is it on?

---------- Post added 28-08-13 at 20:55 ----------

Was the race shop a place where they install them? I just want someone to install them for me
Dinodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-13, 15:51   #64
ss nut
Player

Main road just past Mitre 10 mega(about a kay)heading into CH CH.