CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Regional Events > New Zealand
LSX Garage - Performance has a new home...

Old 17-02-13, 19:43   #101
NZ-SXYHDT
Gold Members

Car: VK Wagon, VL Calais Turbo
Trader Rating: (0)
looking good mate, like the black around the front, nice factory touch.
Get all the bushs in alright in the end? the threaded rod trick work for you on the front Z bar bushs?
Old 18-02-13, 15:24   #102
308vl
Gold Members

Car: 308 Vl Calais, Commodore SS-V, Ford Cortina
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-SXYHDT View Post
looking good mate, like the black around the front, nice factory touch.
Get all the bushs in alright in the end? the threaded rod trick work for you on the front Z bar bushs?
Thanks mate. Yeah managed to get them all in - still a bit of a bugger, wouldnt want to do it again for a while. The threaded rod worked a treat, ended up using 16mm rod, had them in 2 mins. Thanks for your help
308vl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-13, 19:31   #103
Chrisko25
Player

Car: VL Calais Turbo, LX Torana
mate this thread is awesome! looks like you've put in quite a few hours, looking forward to seeing the maiden voyage.
hat off to ya mate nice work!!
Chrisko25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-13, 15:13   #104
308vl
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisko25 View Post
mate this thread is awesome! looks like you've put in quite a few hours, looking forward to seeing the maiden voyage.
hat off to ya mate nice work!!
Cheers for your comments mate. Have been putting in a few hours as you say. Yeah Im also looking forward to starting in the next few weeks. Still have to spend some more money to get it to that stage! Now I know what they mean about VLs being money pits!
Old 24-04-13, 03:21   #105
NZER
Walkin What??

How are you getting on bro?
NZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-13, 16:39   #106
308vl
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZER View Post
How are you getting on bro?
Making progress, but not that fast. Seem to be spending a lot of time and money, but dont have much to show for it! Have sorted out gearbox - just need to install it. I have everything I need for it, but not sure about the VN crossmember. Got most of the engine bits - need to start putting them together. Have a bit of a problem with the ****en engine mounts. The ones the previous owner fitted were a mess. Definately not safe. Bought some new ones which need adapters to fit to the RB30 k-frame. A bit confusing. Have been tidying up the wiring and relocating the battery.

Ive started work fitting some of the bodykit aswell. Looking at buying walkinshaw sideskirts, boot spoiler and 1/4 window frames.
Will start uploading pics as soon as there is something to show.

Havent lost interest - what you guys have done to date has been a good inspiration. You, Kelvin and a few others have been great in helping me out, especially in answering my many questions. Love what your doing to your car aswell

Last edited by 308vl; 24-04-13 at 16:42.
Old 25-04-13, 03:19   #107
NZER
Walkin What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308vl View Post
Making progress, but not that fast. Seem to be spending a lot of time and money, but dont have much to show for it! Have sorted out gearbox - just need to install it. I have everything I need for it, but not sure about the VN crossmember. Got most of the engine bits - need to start putting them together. Have a bit of a problem with the ****en engine mounts. The ones the previous owner fitted were a mess. Definately not safe. Bought some new ones which need adapters to fit to the RB30 k-frame. A bit confusing. Have been tidying up the wiring and relocating the battery.

Ive started work fitting some of the bodykit aswell. Looking at buying walkinshaw sideskirts, boot spoiler and 1/4 window frames.
Will start uploading pics as soon as there is something to show.

Havent lost interest - what you guys have done to date has been a good inspiration. You, Kelvin and a few others have been great in helping me out, especially in answering my many questions. Love what your doing to your car aswell
Oh so there isn't a v8 subframe in there. You might want to weigh up what it is going to cost for custom mounts. There have been some cheap V8 sub frames pop up on trademe. You will also have to look at using a VN V8 P/S Rack due to header and exhaust clearances. VN Racks are smaller in diameter.

Battery relocation is good. On my list to do. When the engine comes out.

Plenty of guys doing kits out there now. There is Tauranga guy is selling stuff cheaper then the stuff he advertises on trademe if you call him.
I'll try find him and txt you it. Aerotech in CHCH has the exact replica kit. But it's not cheap.
Old 25-04-13, 07:07   #108
ss nut
Player

Car: HDT Calais Sport Wagon(V8)1976 Sandman Van(V8)VS Commodore Ute,2000 Astra Sport.
VN racks also have there connection points for the steer lines away from the header whick allows more room.(is there a difference between the 6 and 8 racks?)Also try foxton plastic in CHCH for the kit.

heers Marty
Old 25-04-13, 08:15   #109
NZER
Walkin What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss nut View Post
VN racks also have there connection points for the steer lines away from the header whick allows more room.(is there a difference between the 6 and 8 racks?)Also try foxton plastic in CHCH for the kit.

heers Marty
Yes the connection points are also better for clearance. Don't think there is any difference between the 6 and 8.

Foxton Plastics is Aerotech! Hahaha. Not cheap but VERY good quality. It's copied from a genuine kit. The kit came kit from HSV for a genuine walkinshaw owner to rebuild a smashed up Walkinshaw he had purchased. Another friend borrowed the kit before it was mounted and had Foxton take moulds from it. Only found that out weekend just got from the guy that borrowed the kit.
Old 25-04-13, 18:07   #110
308vl
Gold Members

Thanks guys. Just looking at options for the mounts - just communicating with someone who may be able to supply new ones or adapters. Theres always a solution - nothing which a few more dollars wont fix. Haha.
Will have a look at steering racks as well.

Had a look at Aerotech. Does sound good, but will probably go for the cheapest option. In the process of getting a few prices. Ben, would be good if you could text me contact details of the guy in Tauranga. Thanks
Old 26-04-13, 07:51   #111
ss nut
Player

Car: HDT Calais Sport Wagon(V8)1976 Sandman Van(V8)VS Commodore Ute,2000 Astra Sport.
Mate please do not go for the cheapest opition as time trying to make it fit and trying to clean it up it will cost you,Also the quality of the glass will be an issue.Give it some thought if you are going to do this becouse once you have painted it there will be no going back.And you will regret it.I have a very good freind who brought a cheap kit and the rear bird bath boot spoiler has ripples all threw it as well as the bonnet scoup,has taken him ages for him to make fit the bonnet correctly.

Cheers Marty
ps I see there is an outfit called Mike Shaw Fibreglass in Hamilton that does the walky kit.

Last edited by ss nut; 26-04-13 at 18:27.
ss nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-13, 18:32   #112
308vl
Gold Members

Quote:
Mate please do not go for the cheapest opition as time trying to make it fit and trying to clean it up it will cost you,Also the quality of the glass will be an issue.Give it some thought if you are going to do this becouse once you have painted it there will be no going back.And you will regret it.I have a very good freind who brought a cheap kit and the rear bird bath boot spoiler has ripples all threw it as well as the bonnet scoup,has taken him ages for him to make fit the bonnet correctly.

Cheers Marty
ps I see there is an outfit called Mike Shaw Fibreglass in Hamilton that does the walky kit.
Thanks for the wisdom mate. I know your right, last thing I want to do is do things a couple of times over. All ready over budget so a few more dollars wont hurt!!
Cheers will give him a call
Old 27-04-13, 07:27   #113
ss nut
Player

Budgets are made to be broken!
I have gone down the track and getting things cheap and it always bites me on the ass!
So finaly after many years I have learnt to do it correctly first time,And you never regret it.

Cheers Marty
Old 09-05-13, 17:44   #114
308vl
Gold Members

Just got the rest of the bodykit from Mike Shaw. Decided on the 4 piece side skirts.

Now I know why they call the rear spoiler a bird bath! Couldnt resit trying them on the car. Fit looked pretty good.

Also got the lower front guard caps which arent pictured. Panhard rod is next on the list Kelvin

Last edited by 308vl; 09-05-13 at 17:55.
Old 09-05-13, 19:19   #115
ss nut
Player

Watch how the bird bath sits on the rear gaurds as they are prone if not fitted correctly to rub on the sides.But glad you got the kit.

Cheers Marty
Old 09-05-13, 19:22   #116
308vl
Gold Members

Quote:
Watch how the bird bath sits on the rear gaurds as they are prone if not fitted correctly to rub on the sides.But glad you got the kit.

Cheers Marty
Thanks for the advise, will take my time and try get it right. Looks a bit daunting fitting it altogether, but looking forward to it!
Old 10-05-13, 07:42   #117
hsvhel
gtr in progress

Car: LC GTR Torana
Send a message via MSN to hsvhel
You'll be fine if you take your time. Just be wary of the water flow off the spolier as above.
Old 10-05-13, 12:01   #118
SIKVLT
why are you reading this?

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to SIKVLT
No turning back now ...we going to have more walkys in NZCT than any other VL lol
SIKVLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-13, 15:18   #119
NZER
Walkin What??

They look really good. Looking forward to seeing it all mounted. A man of your expertise, it will be a walk in the park.

---------- Post added 10-05-13 at 17:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKVLT View Post
No turning back now ...we going to have more walkys in NZCT than any other VL lol
Well get that bloody wagon started!!! Or one of the VL's you've collected.
Old 10-05-13, 16:18   #120
ss nut
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308vl View Post
Thanks for the advise, will take my time and try get it right. Looks a bit daunting fitting it altogether, but looking forward to it!
Just heaps of trail fitting to get it right,And once you get it that way, time for painting,Remember leave room for that.you will be alright just take your time.

Cheers Marty
Old 10-05-13, 17:21   #121
308vl
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZER View Post
They look really good. Looking forward to seeing it all mounted. A man of your expertise, it will be a walk in the park.[COLOR="Silver"]
Dont know about walk in the park haha. Have a few questions that I might ask you about mounting some parts. I think Ive figured most of it out, but there are one or two areas Im not sure about.

---------- Post added 10-05-13 at 19:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKVLT View Post
Too right, no going back now!. Looking forward to adding my walky (soon to be) to the population

---------- Post added 10-05-13 at 19:26 ----------

Thanks for the comments on fitting guys. Much appreciated. Always open to any input - will post some more pics as I progress. Hoping to drop the engine in the next few weeks. Too much to do!

Last edited by 308vl; 10-05-13 at 17:23.
Old 12-06-13, 16:23   #122
308vl
Gold Members

A bit of an update. After a long night managed to attach flywheel clutch etc, and finally drop the engine back in the car. Bloody hard work! All went together relatively easy apart from lining up one bolt on the engine mount. After some persuasion and cursing it fell into place. Gearbox will go in soon.

Still have to polish and tidy up a few bits on the engine, but at least its in place.

Decided to ditch the crap one piece front and rear Walkinshaw bumpers that came with the car. Mike Shaw is making the new ones for a good price. After a bit of effort and trying to tidy up the rear one, it seemed like a waste of time. So much for budgets! Will hopefully start making some progress now.

Last edited by 308vl; 12-06-13 at 16:25.
Old 12-06-13, 16:31   #123
ss nut
Player

Also get rid of those tappit covers,Bloody cheaps things will leak on you all the time.I have a good freind with a black walky rep(6 litre and 6 speed)had those on and in the end biffed them.

Cheers Marty
ps I bugeted for 25-30k and ended up nearly 70k

Last edited by ss nut; 12-06-13 at 16:33.
ss nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13, 17:47   #124
NZER
Walkin What??

Looking really good bro. The bay looks soo smooth.

Quote:
Also get rid of those tappit covers,Bloody cheaps things will leak on you all the time.I have a good freind with a black walky rep(6 litre and 6 speed)had those on and in the end biffed them.

Cheers Marty
ps I bugeted for 25-30k and ended up nearly 70k
Are the Kilkerney Casting rockers any good Marty? I bought the KC thermostat housing through Repco. Maybe they do the rockers too?!

Has the Walky Rep you referring to always been black? LS2 or stroked Holden engine?

I stopped adding things up a long time ago. Should have saved and bought a genuine. Only down side I would feel guilty tampering with a real deal.
Old 12-06-13, 20:55   #125
ss nut
Player

I had an after market thermostat housing and it always leaked,Some of them like redline would warp once they got hot.The Kilkerney cast rocker covers I recon are one of the best!!Yes his has always been black and has a stroked holden engine with a Vett box,He did this about 6 years ago has always run her at the drags and has a nine inch diffy in her, custom yank dash that he brought parts and gear thru summitt racing,runs a Mighty demon on top.

Cheers Marty