CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Regional Events > New Zealand
GRUNT Performance

Old 31-08-13, 17:33   #1
ss nut
Player

Car: HDT Calais Sport Wagon(V8)1976 Sandman Van(V8)VS Commodore Ute,2000 Astra Sport.
Trader Rating: (0)
Most iconic VL ever Built!

Come on guys name the top 4 most iconic VL's ever built.

For me it is in this order
1)Build number 4000 HDT Director(HDT)
2)Walkinshaw SV Group A
3)HDT GP A commodore
4)F20 Turbo

Cheesr Marty
Old 01-09-13, 14:33   #2
gasguzler
Player

Car: 1987 VL Royale
you have forgotten the 2 litre
gasguzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-13, 18:25   #3
ZOO222
Gold Members

Car: 1988 Vacationer
and the mighty vacationer
ZOO222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 07:19   #4
tubular2
Gold Members

Car: 87 berlina
nana spec berlina-cos thats what i have !!! ha ha
bt1
calais turbo
walkinshaw
Old 05-09-13, 12:00   #5
MrSquigle
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (28)
I like my VL turbo's but the HDT, WALKINSHAW, SV tags mean nothing to me. I think the VL's go their iconic status is due to their high powered (for their time) turbo engine from factory. Off the showroom floor they were quicker than the V8 models and responded very well to modifications.
IMO the factory turbo engine is what sets them apart and made them iconic, thats why I dont understand peoples thoughts on engine swaps to the GEN series V8's and twin cam heads. In my optinion they are missing the point of what the iconic VL is all about.
Be it BT1, SL, Berlina, Calais or the limited HDT's as long as it packed the factory 3LT SOHC they symbolise the era and what the VL scene will be remembered by and no preference of the series to me.
Old 06-09-13, 15:39   #6
ss nut
Player

Car: HDT Calais Sport Wagon(V8)1976 Sandman Van(V8)VS Commodore Ute,2000 Astra Sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSquigle View Post
I like my VL turbo's but the HDT, WALKINSHAW, SV tags mean nothing to me. I think the VL's go their iconic status is due to their high powered (for their time) turbo engine from factory. Off the showroom floor they were quicker than the V8 models and responded very well to modifications.
IMO the factory turbo engine is what sets them apart and made them iconic, thats why I dont understand peoples thoughts on engine swaps to the GEN series V8's and twin cam heads. In my optinion they are missing the point of what the iconic VL is all about.
Be it BT1, SL, Berlina, Calais or the limited HDT's as long as it packed the factory 3LT SOHC they symbolise the era and what the VL scene will be remembered by and no preference of the series to me.
Fair enough!I remember the split with HDT and Holden so that is why Build 4000 is Iconic for me.I brought my first VL in 88,About then the Walkinsahw came out and wow what a car(must be one of the most replicated VL's about) and of course Bathurst(SV GP A and HDT GP A) so it had to be a V8.There were not many VL turbos here in NZ(New)if any.So that is why they do not register for me.Altho I nearly brought at turbo wagon way back in the early 90's.But it has to be said most people will reconise a Walky.

Cheers Marty
Old 07-09-13, 10:42   #7
NZ_BT1
VL Turbo BT1

Send a message via MSN to NZ_BT1
Yellow BT1s first...everyone knows what they are from a distance and where there place in history was ....then HDT Calais Turbo....then all the rest of the VL turbo family
Old 07-09-13, 14:32   #8
ss nut
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ_BT1 View Post
Yellow BT1s first...everyone knows what they are from a distance and where there place in history was ....then HDT Calais Turbo....then all the rest of the VL turbo family
Fair enough! But why??
Say 2 Vls driving down the road,A yellow one or one that looks like a Plastic add on,Every time someone will say a Walky or a plastic pig,GP A, but here in NZ really How many would say BT1? and place in History Really? an ex cop car??
How many REAL Yellow BT1's are here in NZ(1 maybe 2)Are you biteing yet??
But fair enough,Explain why to you they are iconic.dis Forget what I have written I just want to know why.You say place in History.Pretend I am a non believer and explain.

Cheers Marty
ps I do love the turbo VL,s
Old 07-09-13, 16:37   #9
craig
Player

Car: VS GTS 215 6 speed, VZ SV6, 2013 Hilux
Trader Rating: (1)
Having owned:

Gen walkinshaw
Gen VL GPA

Gen VL Calais Turbo

VL GTS

VL 2L 5 speed....1st Holden owned.

And most other models available, Royale, Berlina, Executive, Calais, Vacationer etc........the best in my opinion were:

The walkinshaw hands down, when I owned this car everyone knew what it was and could not believe it was the genuine article as there are so many replicas.
Best car to drive, modern to drive etc, smooth, powerful etc.

VL GPA this was cool also more of a muscle car to drive felt lighter and more of a skid car!

VL Turbo Calais, just cool!

And to me in NZ obviously the VL GTS, my dads mate brought one new in 1988 and I thought it was the most awesome car in white, I brought a red one, I had the most fun in this car VL wise as I could use it daily and was 16 to 20 owning it so mates were all into cars then. Plus I put a turbo engine in it, blow off valve or show off valve back in the 90s was awesome!

That's just my list and only from what I have owned not really interested in other models etc, one day I hope to own all 4 group a models, a GTS R and a white B&H VH SS NZ model. Oh and my current VS GTS I am restoring to new condition.
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 20:05   #10
NZ VL com
Player

Car: vl calais, vl royale 195kw non turbo
Whats a f20 turbo?
Old 07-09-13, 21:56   #11
ss nut
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ VL com View Post
Whats a f20 turbo?
Very good question,It was(is)a HSV VL turbo F20 stood for final 20 but alais only 2 examples of the turbo were build and I think 2 NA units.I can say I have been lucky to have traveled in the turbo'd edition of this car(a very nice example as well)they were not recieved well by dealers as they were still trying to unload the final 250 odd walkys so hence the low number.

Cheers Marty
PS not sure if they were HSV then or just SV like the Walky
Old 08-09-13, 10:47   #12
NZ VL com
Player

Car: vl calais, vl royale 195kw non turbo
Thanks yes the vl series consisted of about 200 variants
Old 08-09-13, 10:52   #13
NZ_BT1
VL Turbo BT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss nut View Post
Fair enough! But why??
Say 2 Vls driving down the road,A yellow one or one that looks like a Plastic add on,Every time someone will say a Walky or a plastic pig,GP A, but here in NZ really How many would say BT1? and place in History Really? an ex cop car??
How many REAL Yellow BT1's are here in NZ(1 maybe 2)Are you biteing yet??
But fair enough,Explain why to you they are iconic.dis Forget what I have written I just want to know why.You say place in History.Pretend I am a non believer and explain.

Cheers Marty
ps I do love the turbo VL,s
When all 3 of ours were on show last time with bonnets opened they were getting more attention than the other cars and I was flat out answering questions about them .....must be the yellow
Old 08-09-13, 13:20   #14
ss nut
Player

Or they were just 3 very tidy VLs.Which in there own right are getting harder to find.Thanks for that.I have to say out of all the commodore shapes the VL is my favourite,Next is the VT.200 variants of VL??That many??thought may be scraping to get 60(brocky had about 14 odd ones)then there may of been a few one offs as well(perhaps that may be a thread starter)

Cheers Marty

Last edited by ss nut; 08-09-13 at 13:22.
ss nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 14:21   #15
NZ_BT1
VL Turbo BT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss nut View Post
Or they were just 3 very tidy VLs.Which in there own right are getting harder to find.Thanks for that.I have to say out of all the commodore shapes the VL is my favourite,Next is the VT.200 variants of VL??That many??thought may be scraping to get 60(brocky had about 14 odd ones)then there may of been a few one offs as well(perhaps that may be a thread starter)

Cheers Marty
Everyone always asks about the turbo side of things...ie "didnt know they existed" etc etc...then say that its a nice yellow not a dull yellow and also I have a huge article on display about there history as a police car etc for people to read which seems to work. everyone likes different cars and models....I love old police cars...even new ones...always wanted to be a highway patrolman still do but dont want to be a normal policeman first