CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Technical Articles
LSX Garage - Performance has a new home...

Old 28-01-12, 21:16   #1
TROPPY
Player

Car: Berlina Turbo Wagon
Trader Rating: (3)
Alternator upgrade that works 110A

I have spent weeks looking at how to satisfy my tuners needs to achieve 13.8-14.2v reliably at the computer as well as guaranteeing that I am charging my battery properly.

I tried everything including speaking with auto-electricians, motor re-winders and have come up with the following solution. What I found was re-winding the factory alternator meant the battery was discharging until higher in the rev range and even then it was unreliable voltage. So here is a step by step guide on how to replace it with something that works and see the results at the end.

The donor alternator from a Nissan Patrol, part number ALT110718G from Auto Electrics Australia, for roughly $450.

A few comparison photo's of the factory vs. the ALT110718G

Make sure you ask for the plug too, so you can adapt it to the current harness.

Check where your Sense (S) and Light (L) goes on the current one and match it to suit the wiring for the new alternator as shown in my sketch of the plug.

New plug wiring diagram

To make the alternator fit the front rib on the engine block needed to be ground back a few millimetres as well as grinding back one side of the spacer. As you can see in the coming photo's, the body of the alternator is much fatter than the factory one meaning there is little clearance between the body of the alternator and the spacer / engine block mount.

This gets you up to the point that you can get the alternator into the engine bay now, some adjustments may need to be made if you have not ground off enough.

The next stage I figured you can either keep the factory adjustment bracket and put on a shorter belt, or keep the factory belt (4PK850) and make a longer bracket which I opted to do because I work in a steel shop. As you can see, it floats in mid air with nowhere to mount with factory belt.

See comparison of 2 brackets, the factory one is the shorter of the two. I am able to supply dxf's for anyone who is keen to try this.

See new bracket fitted with mount bolt in:

I found on the alternator that I purchased the spacing was 1-2mm longer than the factory one so I put in an additional washer between the engine mount block and the spacer block. Overtightening of the alternator can otherwise cause the cast mount arms to snap. This will be for you to check before tensioning the bolt on the engine block.

It is critical to get the belt tight and in line also otherwise it will slip when cold & revving.

Voltmeter test at Battery, 14.0v at idle. I also tested it with a clamp meter and found I was getting 10amps of charge (not discharge) with all accessories on (air con, high beams, stereo etc) at idle.

Last edited by TROPPY; 28-01-12 at 23:20. Reason: Added belt tensioning note
TROPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-12, 22:24   #2
Duke57TT
Missile Performance

Trader Rating: (18)
Send a message via MSN to Duke57TT
Good job, looks neat and tidy.

Quick question, after you had the alternator re-wound it couldn't supply enough grunt to power everything? It did before? but didn't after the re-wind?
Old 28-01-12, 22:34   #3
TROPPY
Player

The factory alternator is only 70amps so once you start running lights, a decent stereo, fuel pumps, thermo fan(s), air con etc it just wasn't coping and my tuner was complaining about unreliable voltage. It was rewound up to 85amps but this meant at idle the battery was discharging and was still not making reliable voltage.
Old 28-01-12, 22:39   #4
Duke57TT
Missile Performance

I wouldn't of thought the rewind with the larger copper would of affected it unless.. well it make sense could not fit as many turns on stator thus more revs required to get it to output.

I think there is an high output alternator available, not sure if it was a BT1 spec thing or not, but my old white girl had a 130amp sucker on it. None the less good job and probably a much more efficient alternator to boot.
Old 28-01-12, 22:42   #5
RB-GEM
LS1 Powered

Car: LS1 powered VH , VS Statesman
Trader Rating: (4)
There was obviously an issue with the old Bosch alternator . Unless you're running a big stereo , i find it hard to believe that an 80a Bosch alternator was struggling to charge your car . Interesting conversion , people usually go from a Hitachi to a Bosch as they're so expensive to rebuild .
Old 28-01-12, 22:44   #6
TROPPY
Player

I read the thread below and spoke to this company when i started my research, you are spot on about getting less turns and therefore requiring more revs to make the power and that is why these guys no longer wind up the factory alternators. The link also discusses where all of your amperage goes to when you upgrade things.

http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showth...ght=Alternator

Maybe there was an issue with my original alternator, but the conversion gives 110amps and is working well so I thought I would share anyway. I think there were other alternators used throughout the vl including on the bt1's, but I couldn't find any new replacement alternator that would bolt straight in.

Last edited by TROPPY; 28-01-12 at 22:52.
Old 28-01-12, 22:51   #7
DVS VL280
Player

Car: DVSVLT, VEPSI and VXPSI
Trader Rating: (2)
My original alternator couldn't cope either when running twin thermos 3fuel pumps head lights etc it would drop aswell, I had 12 volt look after me with upping the amps too 100 and something can't remember exact number now runs perfectly!
Old 29-01-12, 02:12   #8
Duke57TT
Missile Performance

See I did learn something at uni

You could also of over spun the alternator but they don't like revs at the best of times.

I know the bloke that owns my BT1 now and next time I am over his place I will have a squiz and see what the alternator is was etc. A BT1 nut may know off the top of their head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROPPY View Post
I read the thread below and spoke to this company when i started my research, you are spot on about getting less turns and therefore requiring more revs to make the power and that is why these guys no longer wind up the factory alternators. The link also discusses where all of your amperage goes to when you upgrade things.

http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showth...ght=Alternator

Maybe there was an issue with my original alternator, but the conversion gives 110amps and is working well so I thought I would share anyway. I think there were other alternators used throughout the vl including on the bt1's, but I couldn't find any new replacement alternator that would bolt straight in.
Old 29-01-12, 07:44   #9
JET-64U
Official Member

Car: VLT 26/30 (under construction), Lexus IS300 & RA Rodeo
Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via MSN to JET-64U
Just use a gtr alternator, they're 90 amps, if your drawing more than that in a Vl maybe u should take a look at urself
Old 27-03-12, 21:37   #10
Ant_man
Player

Car: vl calais turbo , vs senator 215i 6 speed, vz ssz
Trader Rating: (0)
Silly suggestion but why not fit a rb25det alternator has higher rating exact same mounts, adjuster, pully etc all need to do is put two spade terminals on it for regulator which your doing anyway to fit the patrol alternator??
This what i did on my calais worked a treat and charges at idle if needed ie fully load from air cond lights etc...
Ant_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-12, 22:12   #11
Bro_Speed
Player

Car: VL Calais Turbo.
How many volts at the battery should i have at idle to make sure its charging correctly?
Bro_Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-12, 22:47   #12
Ant_man
Player

Car: vl calais turbo , vs senator 215i 6 speed, vz ssz
Anything over 12.8v is charging. Check it with engine stopped then again with engine running if goes up it charging..
Ant_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 00:27   #13
AVL012345
Player

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet-64u View Post
just use a gtr alternator, they're 90 amps, if your drawing more than that in a vl maybe u should take a look at urself
lmfao
AVL012345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 15:52   #14
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Trader Rating: (1)
Here is some information about the original alternator (off ashdown book)

Part No. RXA064
Type ALTERNATOR
Brand OEX
Unit of Measure EACH
Description Alternator 12V 70A Hitachi Style
Adjusting Hole Diameter M8
Inside Mounting Legs 80mm
Pin Code IR49
Pivot Hole Diameter 10
Power Rating (Amp) 70
Pulley Outside Diameter 74mm
Pulley Section 4 Groove
Regulator Type Internal
Suits Unit Make Hitachi
Voltage 12
Alternator Mount Twin Leg
Mount Cnt to Cnt 180mm
New / Reman. Remanufactured

__________________________________________________ ________

Here is some information off the ALT110718G (G MEANS GENUINE PART) (EXPENSIVE)

Voltage: 12V

Amperage: 110amp

Reg Type: Internally Regulated

Mount Type: Twin Foot

Pulley Type: 7PV

Pulley OD: 64mm

Shaft Dia: 17mm

Centre to Centre: 170mm

Inside Leg: 80mm

Leg Measurement: 0mm

Adj Leg Hole Dia: M8mm

Front Mt Hole Dia: 10.5mm

Rear Mt Hole Dia: 10.5mm

And here is another possibility off the RD28 GU alternators which can be brought aftermarket

Part No. MXA321
Type ALTERNATOR
Brand OEX
Unit of Measure EACH
Description Alternator 12V 100A Mitsubishi Style
Adjusting Hole Diameter 8.5
Inside Mounting Legs 80mm
Pin Code IR49
Pivot Hole Diameter 10
Power Rating (Amp) 100
Pulley Outside Diameter 86mm
Pulley Section AA
Regulator Type Internal
Suits Unit Make Mitsubishi
Voltage 12
Alternator Mount Twin Leg
Mount Cnt to Cnt 175mm
New / Reman. New

The last alternator is closest height difference (almost 5mm closer) its a 100amp unit and has the same shaft on the front so you can use your existing 4pk pulley with a rattle gun change.

Here is a photo I havent seen one in person but you might not have to grind the block at all

Its just another option possibly.. I am not sure about the fitment as I have not tried

---------- Post added 06-07-12 at 08:55 ----------

I checked my rb25 alternator at home & the leg to leg is 175mm & supposively a direct fit for VL

So I guess this RD28 100amp unit would be a goer.. it ideally looks the same design as the rb25 alternator also
jbonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-12, 21:21   #15
Steve
( . Y . )

Car: Calais
Trader Rating: (31)
Also, Series 1 R33 Rb25's came with 100amp alternators if you can find one..
Old 04-10-12, 13:39   #16
45deg
Player

Car: VL berlina wagon(it sneezes) and vl berlina wagon(it don't sneeze)
i just retro fitted a vn 85amp vn v6 alternater on my rb30. i just changed the front alt housing to the vl one and the vl pully and made it a straight bolt up fit. the wiring is the same. my vn alt craped out so i putr a rb25 90amp on. worked perfect and a bolt up fit....

Last edited by 45deg; 10-07-13 at 12:35. Reason: forgot something
45deg is offline   Reply With Quote