CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Feature Cars > In Progress
LSX Garage - Performance has a new home...

Old 02-06-11, 19:40   #151
Chiefz
Player

Car: VL Berlina
Trader Rating: (0)
Hey mate this is an awesome build so far I have a question for you and I think you might be the guy to answer it, If I was to put on an after market cruise control could I wire it up to the original faceplate? thanks keep the pics coming...
Chiefz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 04:41   #152
EvilPet
Gold Members

Car: VL HDT AERO
Trader Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefz View Post
Hey mate this is an awesome build so far I have a question for you and I think you might be the guy to answer it, If I was to put on an after market cruise control could I wire it up to the original faceplate? thanks keep the pics coming...
If its the same functions yes.

By that I mean.

Mode
Up
Down

Pull the switch apart and solder the wires in place and make a pluggable / unpluggable harness.

However, if it's a bit fancier than that, you may struggle.

I've taken a VL cruise control switch, modified it and made it into a SPEED ALERT switch. I wasn't happy with the way this one I made up (pictured) looked in the end and decided to scrap it and use a VL Cruise Control switch but modified the way the switch works to match the function of the speed control switch.

Last edited by EvilPet; 03-06-11 at 04:48.
EvilPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 20:25   #153
MarkZ
VLCT ON THE WAY

Car: 1988 VL Calais Turbo SII, 2012 Toyota Yaris ZR
Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to MarkZ
Love it, keep the updates coming
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZ View Post
Mark likes... :)
What he said.
MarkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 17:17   #154
EvilPet
Gold Members

Clutch Master Cylinder

Does anyone know where I can get one online?

Are these things still being made for the VL or is it a repro part - I'm thinking yes?

Are they all the same for VLs?
Old 04-06-11, 19:00   #155
Bryceco
Player

Car: 87 VL SL turbo
Trader Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPet View Post
Clutch Master Cylinder

Does anyone know where I can get one online?

Are these things still being made for the VL or is it a repro part - I'm thinking yes?

Are they all the same for VLs?
PBR still make them got a new slave and master cylinder for my vlt a few months back
Bryceco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 23:40   #156
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Trader Rating: (22)
Yeah, PBR part still available through Repco, Bursons, etc.
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-11, 16:29   #157
EvilPet
Gold Members

UPDATE: PANELBEATING AND BLOODY TOWIES

Panelbeater says the car will be finished by next Friday.

The tow truck driver damaged the rear AERO bumper with his cable (broke the middle bit in two) so the whole bumper had to be sent to a fiber-glasser to be fixed...thats another couple of hundred added on to the bill. Grrrrr!!!!!

Pics on progress hopefully tomorrow.
Old 16-06-11, 18:50   #158
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Trader Rating: (22)
I hope he's paying for it!
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-11, 19:14   #159
zaksvl
VL FANATIC

Car: R51 Pathfinder
Trader Rating: (12)
Quote:
UPDATE: PANELBEATING AND BLOODY TOWIES

Panelbeater says the car will be finished by next Friday.

The tow truck driver damaged the rear AERO bumper with his cable (broke the middle bit in two) so the whole bumper had to be sent to a fiber-glasser to be fixed...thats another couple of hundred added on to the bill. Grrrrr!!!!!

Pics on progress hopefully tomorrow.
**** happens man... he should do the right thing by you and pay for it tho. so no harm no foul.. would be good to see some pics of it up after paint!
Old 16-06-11, 20:14   #160
xAsh-
Official Member

Car: SL Turbo, Calais Daily
Trader Rating: (4)
Sup Evilpet, ive actually gone and made my own account finally, been pretty lazy about it lol.

Not sure if you ever got my return email about the tomtom cover? Gonna be on hiatus for a couple weeks so cant do it until about mid july now.

Sleeper build thread - http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=235527
xAsh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-11, 07:52   #161
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spdvl View Post
I hope he's paying for it!
Unfortunately he's not. Because I'm not in the country and am relying on other people to tell me whats going on it was 2 weeks before word got back to me. Too late to do anything. A $400 additional inconvenience as a result. Well the car is being completely inspected at the panelbeaters before it goes back to Briffa so if there's damage again he's definitely paying for it.

---------- Post added 17-06-11 at 08:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAsh- View Post
Sup Evilpet, ive actually gone and made my own account finally, been pretty lazy about it lol.

Not sure if you ever got my return email about the tomtom cover? Gonna be on hiatus for a couple weeks so cant do it until about mid july now.
No real hurry matey - we'll get to it in the near future. August probably.

I'm looking at producing some decals as an alternative and am speaking to a couple of ex-Holden people about where to go with this. At the end of the day the whole set up needs to look "factory". I did like your idea on the design though - small and discreet consistent with the VL badging.

I took my queue from the GM and Holden current setup. Really need to think 1981-3 when the VL was being designed.

Mocking some stuff up over the next few weeks.

---------- Post added 17-06-11 at 09:25 ----------

LEDS FOR DIGITAL SPEEDO

I have to admit its been a struggle to get these made up in China.

A couple of false starts since I ordered them to specifications in February and they're finally here.

Green, Ultra Green and Ultra Yellow. I'll play around with the green filter to see which one best suits and matches the lumens and colour of the digital clock.

These fit perfectly into the centre cavity of the VL dash case.

I know quite a few of you guys want a digital speedo but I'm NOT selling these until I've run it in my car for a few months to gauge the general response on demand for such an item.

The soldering for this is a bitch and I stuffed up two boards before I got one right and working perfectly.

I don't have the time to do this anyway. I spent two days of my holidays in Perth getting this to work.

I'm trying to locate a company in China that can put these together based on my design. That takes me out of the loop completely when it comes to manufacturing (and possible defects) and each item is quality assured (hence looking for a company that is ISO certified).

But if I don't end up doing this, I have a display being made with a second unit WITH a VL dash on a stand to demonstrate how this works so that entire setup being a Calais dash, switches etc. will go for sale in the future. You just need to do the dash switcheroo, plug in the switches and it's working.

Last edited by EvilPet; 17-06-11 at 08:27.
Old 17-06-11, 08:45   #162
bck2basic
VLHRT

Car: VLHRT;
Trader Rating: (8)
Hey mate, your work is amazing. And your car is awesome. Just a question, have you thought about putting in like a digital fuel consumption thing, like what they have in newer cars that tells you how much fuel you remaining you have in kms, and how much fuel you average on etc?
bck2basic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-11, 09:12   #163
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by bck2basic View Post
Hey mate, your work is amazing. And your car is awesome. Just a question, have you thought about putting in like a digital fuel consumption thing, like what they have in newer cars that tells you how much fuel you remaining you have in kms, and how much fuel you average on etc?
I sure did - I even thought of cannibalising a VK "Star Wars" digital dash but at the end of the day I couldn't find a place of the dash to mount it where it doesn't look like a tack on. At least the digital speedo looks like it could have come from the factory like that.

The digital fuel gauge would have looked out of place IMO.

There are aftermarket "trip computers" BUT I could not find one that looked right for the VL.

This is the closest I got:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/dads/8426/

The colours can be adjusted BUT at the end of the day it didn't look right.

Last edited by EvilPet; 17-06-11 at 09:16.
Old 19-06-11, 15:33   #164
xAsh-
Official Member

If i get bored in the next few weeks i'll make up something to show you how my design could look, if you choose to go down that path. I dont think decals would look that great unless they were full color and clearcoated so you cant tell its a decal

-ash

Old 19-06-11, 17:34   #165
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
If i get bored in the next few weeks i'll make up something to show you how my design could look, if you choose to go down that path. I dont think decals would look that great unless they were full color and clearcoated so you cant tell its a decal

-ash
Already thinking down that route Ash. A solid decal would look tacky. Still got a few months before I decide for sure so yeah, if you have some designs, that would be great.

---------- Post added 19-06-11 at 22:23 ----------

UPDATE: Panel-beating Progress

I'm quite happy that besides the busted rear bumper by the towie, a lot of the scratches buffed out. Holes have been welded and primed. The battery base sanded back to get rid of the rust.

The panel beater reckons he can get the ol' gal back to this so I'm quite stoked:

Last edited by EvilPet; 19-06-11 at 21:24.
Old 21-06-11, 19:32   #166
xAsh-
Official Member

So shiny.... Original color shut door respray? how much it set you back?

Old 23-06-11, 21:06   #167
onetidyvl
Official Member

just a thought to ad.. the new ve's and many other newer cars have automatic window wipers that come on as soon as the sensor senses rain.. fit one to yours?
Old 24-06-11, 04:53   #168
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
So shiny.... Original color shut door respray? how much it set you back?
It was an in-between a full re-spray and a shut door as they pulled off the trims and did the insides of the doors where the locks are. $7K - To fix the damage right now to bring it back to what it was two years ago (public display standard) including the engine bay around $3K.

---------- Post added 24-06-11 at 06:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetidyvl View Post
just a thought to ad.. the new ve's and many other newer cars have automatic window wipers that come on as soon as the sensor senses rain.. fit one to yours?
Available as an after market fit-on.

Yeah I have looked at this and currently talking to the mob about this. But first some thought as to how to adapt the "plug-in" components on the VL first rather than butcher the loom and have non functioning buttons on the dash. I hate it when I see buttons that have been disabled on a car because of a modification. The scope of my project is that everything serves a purpose and any update modifications blend seamlessly into the design.

This works on a sensor and is installed by disabling the current buttons on the VL - I want the option of both. I want buttons AND sensor so I can turn it off if I don't want it on and revert to the VL controls.

So a bit of thinking involved in the near future. I didn't want to put it on my list just yet in-case I couldn't suss it all out.

I really now want to just start getting my car back together and the in-cabin modifications that i've listed to date finished and things like these may make September or will be done between October and December.

http://www.thecartists.com/rt50a.php

Keep the ideas coming in though.

BTW: Car back at Briffa 4th July and will spend a month there being put back together and things sorted like my voltage leakage and re-building the fuse box. Then onto my mate who's now bought Alberts Car Stereo in Rockingham and the car will spend another month there being finished off for my return. Then back again in October to do the other stuff.
Old 24-06-11, 06:07   #169
BT
398@25psi E85

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to BT
very very nice mate hope it all work out for u looks like u have spent some long nights thinking long and hard / researching stuff to complete this car my hats off to u mate well done ...

ps i would be keen on one of the electric switchs lol can i send u one to modify for me and just send me the bill .
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLCT88 View Post
Its not running yet ya magic poof gimme a month or so!
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-11, 08:17   #170
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT View Post
very very nice mate hope it all work out for u looks like u have spent some long nights thinking long and hard / researching stuff to complete this car my hats off to u mate well done ...

ps i would be keen on one of the electric switchs lol can i send u one to modify for me and just send me the bill .
No problems. I can arrange that in the future. Get all your stuff together and PM me in a couple of weeks. Focus now is to get my car back together again and my mind is on that. When things start to cool down with my build I'll also start looking at the digital speedo kit as well and production, but as i've said earlier, I do not want to sell something that may dud on you guys after a few months. That wouldn't be fair. I want to test it in mine for awhile before producing it. I made 30 dash fascia pieces so given I've used one there is potential for 29 kits. I also have to figure out how I can get this into kit form and what bits the purchaser has to supply.

As for thinking. Yeah, ALOT of time on this...some would, and have even said, I'm obsessed with details and i guess I am. In my eyes it can't turn out half-assed.

Last edited by EvilPet; 24-06-11 at 08:30.
Old 28-06-11, 01:28   #171
xAsh-
Official Member

Quote:
It was an in-between a full re-spray and a shut door as they pulled off the trims and did the insides of the doors where the locks are. $7K - To fix the damage right now to bring it back to what it was two years ago (public display standard) including the engine bay around $3K.

---------- Post added 24-06-11 at 06:10 ----------

Available as an after market fit-on.

Yeah I have looked at this and currently talking to the mob about this. But first some thought as to how to adapt the "plug-in" components on the VL first rather than butcher the loom and have non functioning buttons on the dash. I hate it when I see buttons that have been disabled on a car because of a modification. The scope of my project is that everything serves a purpose and any update modifications blend seamlessly into the design.

This works on a sensor and is installed by disabling the current buttons on the VL - I want the option of both. I want buttons AND sensor so I can turn it off if I don't want it on and revert to the VL controls.

So a bit of thinking involved in the near future. I didn't want to put it on my list just yet in-case I couldn't suss it all out.

I really now want to just start getting my car back together and the in-cabin modifications that i've listed to date finished and things like these may make September or will be done between October and December.

http://www.thecartists.com/rt50a.php

Keep the ideas coming in though.

BTW: Car back at Briffa 4th July and will spend a month there being put back together and things sorted like my voltage leakage and re-building the fuse box. Then onto my mate who's now bought Alberts Car Stereo in Rockingham and the car will spend another month there being finished off for my return. Then back again in October to do the other stuff.
If you wanted the option to change back and forth between the two could you use a DPDT switch and wire it so it either supplies power to auto unit or manual unit (also could wire lights to indicate mode of operation)

Old 28-06-11, 04:42   #172
EvilPet
Gold Members

Does anyone have a picture of where the sensor is on the late model Commodores?
Old 28-06-11, 17:43   #173
NZ_GTS
Player

Car: '87 VL GTS Cherry Black Mica with RB25DET inside
Pretty sure it's integrated into the rear vision mirror. The sensor itself will be fixed to the glass. Usually they are right at the top of the window, inside the black 'banner' at the top of the screen.
NZ_GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-11, 04:40   #174
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ_GTS View Post
Pretty sure it's integrated into the rear vision mirror. The sensor itself will be fixed to the glass. Usually they are right at the top of the window, inside the black 'banner' at the top of the screen.
Ok I've figured it. I'll have to mock up some pics as to how this looks on the VL. If it looks cumbersome and detracts the onlookers eye, then I might give it a miss. I have to look at this closely. Does anyone know whether the tinting on the top of the front windscreen can be cut out or interfered with so I can place the sensor with a clear view through?

---------- Post added 30-06-11 at 09:48 ----------

UPDATE: Parking Sensors

I wrote a big spiel on this topic but a photobucket ad froze my Safari browser when I was transferring pics and had to force quit and restart losing all my info so I'll try and remember as much as I can.

Back in 2007 when my car went into get sprayed I located and modified a rear parking sensor that wouldn't require any drilling into my original 87/88 vintage AERO bumper. If you look at late model vehicles they all have the round sensors on the bumper. My parking alert required a strip on the backside of the bumper which would be glued on then hooked up the the "brains" module then to a small speaker for an audible alert.

All set and ready to go, the panelbeater unfortunately forgot to put the strip on when assembling the car.

And he lost the unit and all the bits made for it.

Roll forward four years.

I'm sitting in a mate's BMW recently and notice he has proximity parking alerts for front and back.

So my head starts spinning again and the research starts on this addition feature to my project.

I started looking at units used by all types of cars, units with graphics and units that just have audible proximity alerts. Being in the UK for the next few months I started looking at European cars. I DID like the following unit from a Volvo CX90;

It has a nice flip top BUT I already have a fliptop device on the dash, the SatNav. Having another one would be a bit overkill and would compromise the aesthetics of the cabin. After all, the SatNav is going to be the centre-piece of the dash. Your eye would naturally find the point in the middle and the wander left or right. Thinking about this further it wouldn't look right.

I started looking at kit products and happened to come a cross the following front and rear parking sensor with colour LED visual alert display. Cool thing is again, no drilling required. My front and rear bumpers are safe. Just need someone to help me get the bumpers off when I'm back in Perth I guess to fit the strips on the inside. OR might just book it back for a day with the panelbeater.

I was looking at maybe pairing the above with this screen but I'm at a loss where I'd put it in the cabin without the cabin starting to look too cluttered visually.

Furthermore, I really don't think Holden would have gone the way of a screen in the 80s.

So I might just "dumb down" the coloured LEDs in the kit I found and make it a monochrome green bar visual sensor. THAT would have been the way of the 80s.

Now if I keep the LEDs, placement of this would also be a concern. I was thinking of installing it in the sunglass holder and mould around it like I did with the iPod holder so it would still be a sunglass holder, albeit with a slightly smaller recess. I'll draw it out and see how it looks and see whether its together visually. If it doesn't, I'm dicing it and just going with the speaker alert.

So all up I think this modification can be done by September and I'm formally adding it to my "update list".

Stay tuned.

UPDATE: Panelbeating

Some shots I was sent on progress. Here's where the towie damaged the bumper.

The whole thing cracked through as a result.

Here's the spoiler being fixed. It was crushed in that region.

Last edited by EvilPet; 30-06-11 at 08:53.
Old 30-06-11, 16:32   #175
NZ_GTS
Player

Car: '87 VL GTS Cherry Black Mica with RB25DET inside
We deal with this company a lot through work: http://www.rve.co.nz/parkingsensors.html#2 While the actual parking sensors are exactly what you don't want, the display is probably more your thing. It can be mounted on the dash or rear vision mirror.

Regarding the rain sensing wipers: most of the guts of the device is hidden by a 'blackout' on the windscreen (see link) Unsure as to whether the factory tint would affect the operation though.
http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgur...w=1680&bih=935)

While you're at it, you should check out these; http://pantera.co.nz/

Last edited by NZ_GTS; 30-06-11 at 16:34.
NZ_GTS is offline   Reply With Quote