CalaisTurbo New Tags END Ignore Digital Niche Code -->
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Feature Cars > In Progress
G-Cylinder

Old 19-08-07, 22:21   #26
Alsynon
performancelpg

Trader Rating: (17)
Send a message via ICQ to Alsynon Send a message via MSN to Alsynon Send a message via Yahoo to Alsynon Send a message via Skype™ to Alsynon
Tks mate. Slowly getting there. If I could do something about having to go to work and the family wanting some attention I may get it done quicker.

This week’s update is that nearly all of the electrical work has been completed and more of the C2H5OH system has been installed. Finally got off my butt and took a few photos so here they are. Booked it in to get the exhaust system done this week.
A big thanks to Leigh from Extreme Turbo Manifolds for supplying a flange at short notice.
If all keeps going to plan I may just get it in to the tune shop before I bugger of OS at the end of the month.

Last edited by Alsynon; 08-05-10 at 03:43. Reason: New Server. Buy me beer Steve.
Alsynon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-07, 22:24   #27
ATMO_BT1
CT Allstar

Car:
Trader Rating: (29)
gee that bay is looking leaps and bounds better everytime i open this thread.. well done mate!
Old 19-08-07, 22:41   #28
Alsynon
performancelpg

Send a message via ICQ to Alsynon Send a message via MSN to Alsynon Send a message via Yahoo to Alsynon Send a message via Skype™ to Alsynon
It's going to look really "busy" in there once I'm done, but then again I am more into function than form.
I'm actually going to go for gold and apply power to it in the next couple of nights, depending on my flying schedule, and hopefully all the smoke stays in the wires...and more hopefully there is some spark. After that the manifolds go on, then the plumbing of piping begins...yay.
Old 19-08-07, 22:59   #29
ATMO_BT1
CT Allstar

Car:
the beauty of function and form is that you don't have to choose, you can have both, just like you seem to here
Old 20-08-07, 21:12   #30
Alsynon
performancelpg

Dropped a bloody spanner on the bakelite of the starter tonight, and it broke the starter FFS. So I'm chasing one of them now, should be fun a good manual VLT starter will prob be hard to find.
On the bright side, I connected power to it and no smoke came out....yet...
It's time to plug the ECU in and see what happens.

Plugged the ECU in, and no power.....did some checking and I hadn't put one of the plugs into the relay holder properly, fixed that and Bob's your uncle, there's power to everything that needs it. According to the air-temp sensor it was 8 degrees in the garage so I packed it up for the night. All I need now is some base settings to get some spark. Anyone who knows the basic ignition setup for a Haltech off the top of their head please post it in here so I can program it in.
Thanks,
Jim.

Last edited by Alsynon; 20-08-07 at 23:32. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 21-08-07, 09:15   #31
ATMO_BT1
CT Allstar

Car:
auto starter motors are identical to manual ones, so don't let some ebay'er rip you off for a "rare" manual one
Old 21-08-07, 11:07   #32
DeVL
Dirty Barrels

Trader Rating: (11)
Send a message via MSN to DeVL
Shhhhhh jack your screwing up my business make sure you dont say anything about my ''fully rare turbo aircon vents''

cars starting to come together looks good.
DeVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-07, 15:25   #33
Niche
Series 3 Fuserails are go

Car: White VLT Calais 1986 twin tyres
Trader Rating: (82)
Ah I see a pic of my fuserail design in there, thanks
Niche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-07, 19:22   #34
Alsynon
performancelpg

Jack the Manual VLT (factory not mock up) ones are different, I'll post a pic a little later on to show you.
Old 21-08-07, 23:05   #35
ATMO_BT1
CT Allstar

Car:
wow really? Post pics mate maybe i've never seen a vlt manual one before, i know n/a auto and manual are the same but i've never worked on a factory turbo manual (mine was originally auto) before.
Old 21-08-07, 23:14   #36
DeVL
Dirty Barrels

Trader Rating: (11)
Send a message via MSN to DeVL
The mf5 and turbo autos are the same but i think the turbo flywheel is bigger you need the turbo manual starter motor
DeVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-07, 00:39   #37
Alsynon
performancelpg

As you can see in the first 2 pics the front of the starter is completely different from the regular one. Just another thing to file away in the differences between a N/A and a Turbo, manual only of course.

This is the bit where the ******* broke. Probably a blessing in disguise as the gear on the front of the starter is very worn and probably would have shat itself and probably the ring-gear in the next few months anyway.

Turbo half arse fitted so I can get the dump and gate pipe made. It needs to be turned a tad and obviously need to fit up the oil & water lines as well as the boost feeds to the wastegate.

As a testament to Kyles design, this was easier to put in than the stock one and as you can see it clears the block and engine mounts nicely.....wonder if a 42 would fit....

Last edited by Alsynon; 08-05-10 at 03:48. Reason: New Server. Buy me beer Steve.
Old 22-08-07, 01:35   #38
BT
398@25psi E85

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to BT
nice mate looks like its coming along real nicely for u .
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLCT88 View Post
Its not running yet ya magic poof gimme a month or so!
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-07, 09:28   #39
ATMO_BT1
CT Allstar

Car:
thanks for that mate, very interesting.. looks like the car is coming along very nicely!
Old 26-08-07, 00:18   #40
Alsynon
performancelpg

Well this is going on pause for the next few weeks as I decided to celebrate the arrival of the last of the go fast bits needed on Friday by doing a muscle in my back so I can't actually fit it all up this weekend and get it in to the shop next week before I duck off OS with work.

On the progress side of things pre Friday, I got the dump and gate pipes made, have to say it is a very nice job. I now have 115mm ground clearance under the car with 3" pipe and cat etc and got the added bonus of getting stainless for the price of mild steel. In all honesty it is probably one of the best piping arrangements I've seen on a low mount setup. I'll get some pics of it on here (and Kyles pic thread) when I can get the manifold off again.

Got some pics of the new dump setup, hurt like hell to get it out but I really wanted to seal the firewall before I bugger off OS.
It was made not to look pretty but to do a job and to be easy to get out if I decide to do a change down the track. It fits the bill nicely with handy features such as a flange on the wastegate pipe which enables me to drop the dump all the way to the cat without upsetting the V-band on the gate. It will also allow me to fit a race pipe with a minimum of fuss if the need ever arises.

Overall system up to the cat.

Flanged wastegate pipe to make for easy removal of both the exhaust and/or the manifold.

All fitted up.

It's nice and tight up against the floor.

That is 4" inner diameter hose, I have approx 115mm ground clearance now, vice 90mm with the old setup.

Last edited by Alsynon; 08-05-10 at 03:48. Reason: New Server. Buy me beer Steve.
Old 29-08-07, 18:25   #41
Alsynon
performancelpg

Fitted a bit of bling that I bought off Wyndup to get the air from the filter into the turbo. I have 9 inches where he only had 6 so I had to cut a bit off the pipe to make it fit.

Also managed to get hold of Factory headlight protecters and a pair of factory weathershields to help with the sleepy look. I put pictures of these up just to annoy Russ.

I'm not going for a full sleeper, probably more a snoozer, at first glance it's asleep, but at a second look you realize that it's more than ready to pounce.

As you can see, I'm packing 9 inches instead of the usual 6

Last edited by Alsynon; 08-05-10 at 03:49. Reason: New Server. Buy me beer Steve.
Old 30-09-07, 22:52   #42
Alsynon
performancelpg

Got some motivation back today, went crazy and fitted up the C2H5OH injection system and the cooler piping ...would have been good if I had some silicone....knew I forgot something....didn't even have any race tape so good old masking tape has to do for now, should be good for 15psi or so at a guess….The inlet is only dummy fitted at this stage, will put it on properly tomorrow…maybe.

(This one is for you Russ…)

Last edited by Alsynon; 08-05-10 at 03:50. Reason: New Server. Buy me beer Steve.
Old 05-10-07, 01:12   #43
Alsynon
performancelpg

Big delay has kicked in....will be lucky if I can get this thing done before xmas now...have to find a new, smaller house, minus wife, kids and any money that I may have had....also work has me away from Adelaide for 20 of the next 26 weeks.
Old 05-10-07, 08:36   #44
ATMO_BT1
CT Allstar

Car:
sorry to hear brother

What exactly is the C2H5OH setup? What does it do? I'm assuming something to do with lowering inlet temperatures
Old 05-10-07, 10:58   #45
SHIZNT
Red Rocket! Go!

Car: MY99 WRX
Trader Rating: (8)
C2H50H is Ethanol... So in other words yes it will make the inlet tempretures very cold..
SHIZNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-07, 11:40   #46
E-Z
token giraffe guy

Trader Rating: (15)
Send a message via MSN to E-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsynon
Big delay has kicked in....will be lucky if I can get this thing done before xmas now...have to find a new, smaller house, minus wife, kids and any money that I may have had....also work has me away from Adelaide for 20 of the next 26 weeks.
im guessing that means your seperated now? sorry man. hold in man
E-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-07, 23:12   #47
Weezy
Player

Car: 02' Mazda RX7 FD3S Bathurst Type R
Any updates mate?

ooh.. everyone
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-07, 23:20   #48
Alsynon
performancelpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXC - 747
Any updates mate?

Yeah...moving house atm....may get back into it in the next week or 2....and is your sister looking for a sugar-daddy?
Old 06-12-07, 23:28   #49
SYKO3L
OHH HERRO

Car: The Petercopter
Trader Rating: (14)
Hahaha.

At least you still have your sense of humour.

Car is looking awesome man. The members raffle prizes are being put to good use.
SYKO3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-07, 14:50   #50
Weezy
Player

Car: 02' Mazda RX7 FD3S Bathurst Type R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsynon
Yeah...moving house atm....may get back into it in the next week or 2....and is your sister looking for a sugar-daddy?
Aha smarty pants.

ooh.. everyone
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote