User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Feature Cars > In Progress
JD CUSTOM

Old 13-07-09, 22:45   #1
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Trader Rating: (1)
Twin Cam 25/30/35/40 Calais

Thought id post up a thread in the in progress section of the way my car is coming along.

Car is an s1 non turbo original Calais converted to turbo,

Engine :

Rb30 / Rb25 Head
No headwork, no cams or valves, except was serviced and checked for clearances and 2 vernier gears on inlet and exhaust cams.
20 Thou was taken off to bring it to standard VL turbo compression 7.5 :1.
Balanced and blue printed bottom end.
O-Ringed block
Arias Forged pistons .0040 oversize
Shot peened rods

Gearbox
R34 5 Speed Pull type Gearbox,
NPC brass button 5 puck cussioned
Redline LightWeight Shockproof

Diff
Rebuilt VL turbo diff shortened 1 inch. 3:9 gears

Accessories,
Walbro 255LPH fuel pump
2 Litre Surge tank
740cc tomei injectors
6boost High Mount Manifold
Coffin style plenum alloy,
Gt35/40 turbo
60mm Proboost Wastegate
Braided Oil & Water lines
G-teck 600x300x76 inter cooler

Engine management
Ems 8860 Computer

Suspension
Front is Pedders Gsr inserts, king springs 'low', pedders adjustable strut tops,
24mm Whiteline swaybar with strengthened link pins & a few nolathane rubbers here and there,
Back is koni red adjustables, with king spring low's again, 18mm whiteline swaybar & heavy duty link pins,

Brakes
Vt Commodore brake master cylinder, Vs commodore brake booster,
Vt twin piston front brakes, 296mm discs,
----

Originally Low mount 35/40 I decided to go high mount after the turbos bearings cooked themselves.. Sometimes I wish I had stayed low mount but I guess I just wasnt thinking.

Fuel system was maxing out 230rwkw @ 12 psi

First I upgraded to a stainless manifold, upon installation I snapped a stud tightening it up & left it for the time being, knowing I would have to take it all of again, another problem besides the dodgy internals was there was bugger all clearance between the coldside pipe and the inner guard, by the time I came around to taking it off funds were good for a 6boost manifold,

When I brought my injectors the guy had a factory modified front facing plenum for sale which I picked up for almost nothing, but again after thinking about the money I had spent on my hot side I couldn't justify putting a slapper of a plenum on the front no matter how successful some people had been. (even tho I bugged around installing & painting it up)

The previous owner put the money into the gearbox/engine/diff & interior, but the clutch was way gone & the suspension was like a boat. Also heaps of finger tight bolts around the joint & some half ass electricals.

I have overhauled all suspension components, upgraded to vt front brakes, rebuilt all four calipers, put vs booster & master cylinder in, replaced clutch, & so much more,

Even tho I have brought this car with some of the more expensive work done & have fixed so much and have really made it my own, None of the work done has been outsourced (yet) at all as I trust my skills more then the majority of mechanics, and anything a bit sketchy has eventually been fixed up and even if something does f-up I know this car inside out unlike the previous owner who seemed to open the chequebook everytime work needed to be done

Car looks a mess right now, in between switching plenums & waiting on oil and water lines to show up to put it all back together.

Original Bay as purchased

Interior Shot

Switch to high mount manifold,
You can see the clearance is not to flash downside the manifold, also that I was no longer able to run the cooler pipe because of the chunk turbo in the way,

An unused pedders adjustable strut top.. Hadnt driven on it and the strut just fell through the bottom while the car was jacked up.. Good quality eh!

Outside view.

Old cooler setup I decided to enlarge, avo stage 2, ended up selling it for more then the new cooler so cant complain

Back Seat

Door trims,

Injectors

Npc Clutch

8860 New in packaging,

Vt Brakes & Vs Plastic booster & vt master mod

Rear suspension

Front

R34 Box out for new clutch, After buying a cheap triple plate, I ended up going to a single plate save all the f-around of push pull convertors etc.

New cooler

Front facing plenum & 6boost mani trial fitted

New Setup the day I got the manifold, I was so excited to see how it all looked, Cant say Ive been happier with any purchase Ive brought for the car, but these hipo parts sure make a big dent in the wallet, but well worth it

Last edited by jbonez; 14-07-09 at 15:59.
jbonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-09, 15:42   #2
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Mad Sticker should fit in well.

Pulled the old ems dualsport & wiring loom out tonight, Probably sell it, make way for a bit better unit.

New plenum.. Its goto flow better then the front facing slap up one, But sure its not the greatest, but cost 1/3 of what I would of got if cash allowed, God damn its massive will have to chop up me p/s bracket me thinks.

Not actually fitted obviously, just chucked it in to see what I will have to do tommorow.

Sorry about the epic thread, but I thought I would write something decent since I am slowly learning what im talking bout.

Just cleaned and protected the leather & it looks smick, will pull the cover off it this weekend & get some photos of just how good the interior is.. Dash Is immaculate with new insrument panels etc.

Last edited by jbonez; 14-07-09 at 16:38.
Old 15-07-09, 06:50   #3
NZ EVLHSV
Player

Car: Gen-F GTS
Trader Rating: (0)
Coming together nicely! Love the interior
NZ EVLHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-09, 17:20   #4
malpaso
ILL-747

Car: RS Liberty
Trader Rating: (12)
mint interior lol that plenum chamber is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge
malpaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-09, 17:36   #5
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Yea I hope I dont get massive lag from it.. It will do until shes running then if its not a good setup will go all out on a cpc plenum & billet t/body. Its goto work better then the modified front facer either way. Got an xf t/body on there right now, going to remove my battery tray, relocate the batt to the boot and chuck a hole right down the middle, of where it used to be. (and try my luck welding up the old hole)
Old 16-07-09, 10:51   #6
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Trader Rating: (22)
Good to see another 25/30 in the build. Looking great mate.

Few questions:

Where did you get that sticker made? Or did you photoshop it yourself?

What sort of power are you hoping for?

And how did your R34 box set you back? I hear they go cheaper than R33 because of the reverse clutch.
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-09, 12:14   #7
7FOUR7
Be like me

Car: VZ SS Thunder 6.0- Another vl soon
Trader Rating: (26)
Send a message via ICQ to 7FOUR7 Send a message via MSN to 7FOUR7
The old forward facing plenum looked much better and I'm sure it wouldn't impede flow too much..
On another note that interior is ****n awesome, let me know if you ever want to sell it
Old 16-07-09, 13:27   #8
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spdvl
Good to see another 25/30 in the build. Looking great mate.

Few questions:

Where did you get that sticker made? Or did you photoshop it yourself?

What sort of power are you hoping for?

And how did your R34 box set you back? I hear they go cheaper than R33 because of the reverse clutch.

Hey mate.

I typed rb30det in ebay and it came up straight away, was about $18 bucks delivered or similar.

34 box was in the car when I got it.. When I got the clutch made npc told me the push type clutch would struggle under 350rwkw but the pull type would exceed that power rating because they use a bigger face pressure plate.

I would probably go for it because its newer, supposively the synchros were revised but havent found anything besides forum talk on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7FOUR7
The old forward facing plenum looked much better and I'm sure it wouldn't impede flow too much..
On another note that interior is ****n awesome, let me know if you ever want to sell it
I think if I put an extension pipe on the front and curved it around a little it would of been a bit better unit.. But if you look at it with the t/body off the first 2-3 runners would have trouble getting any reasonable air untill boost is built.. Who knows I guess I dont want to take the chance with the boost I eventually want to run, and I could only find people making say 250rwkw with front facers on sau, (& Its been sold for 3x the cost I brought it for so not too worried).

Another problem was clearance.. I would have to drop the k frame down a bit to close the bonnet properly.. or smash some dents into the bracing, but that wasnt it all. All trial and error I spose.

Edit - -the ebay seller i brought the sticker off is boostbitz

Last edited by jbonez; 16-07-09 at 16:00. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-08-09, 21:16   #9
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Heres some more photos, havent done much busted my hand up so been out of action, but did what I could to clean it up today,

Old 09-08-09, 21:53   #10
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

That interior is really nice dude.

And that's a tough exhaust tip.
Old 10-08-09, 11:54   #11
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

And that's a tough exhaust tip. [/QUOTE]

Extra oxidisation and rust for better sound
Old 13-08-09, 00:07   #12
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Fe2O3 rawwwrs
Old 17-09-09, 22:14   #13
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Finally got around to removing my battery tray, made a bit of a mess in a couple of areas, them spot welds arnt the easiest thing to find, had a mate weld up 2 of my old cooler holes & fix up some of my mess, this is just in primer no makeup applied. Goto bolt my plenum up before I make that hole in the middle even bigger.

Got some motivation back so might bolt the exhaust side of it on this weekend and go from there.
Old 29-09-09, 10:51   #14
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Someone sell me a set of calais internationals for this thing!!! will pay freight.
Old 01-10-09, 21:41   #15
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Anyway chucked some makeshift spray tin paint and clear on the holes and chucked my manifold and wastegate back on (shouldnt have to come off again) should have this finished on the weekend & my plenum should be on also, and then im going to outsource my dump pipe and intercooler piping to a shop down the road.

Old 10-10-09, 18:05   #16
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Plenum doesnt look too bad in my opinion
Old 20-11-09, 19:18   #17
Katsa
Gold Members

Car: [EX.RTA] Kimberly bronze BT1
Trader Rating: (7)
def. coming together nicely mate!
Old 08-05-10, 01:03   #18
DJ84WA
Player

Car:
Nice progress. What final hp figure's are you hoping to see?
DJ84WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 19:13   #19
[T]Matty
RIP VLT

Car: 2012 ExtraCab Hilux 4X4, RB30DET 180SX
Trader Rating: (19)
I see the VCT oil drain plumbed in, so your running VCT?

keep us updated, its been ages now from the last update so something should be done!
Old 09-05-10, 22:44   #20
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Not running vct its all bunged up, just the drain is still present, Yeah plenty of updates to share, I have been playing auto electrican teaching myself about aftermarket ecu wiring, had a few innitial hiccups but sorted it out soon enough, injectors cleaned this week & 2 of them were almost 100cc less then they should of been prior to cleaning so that was worthwhile.

I will update pics within the next few weeks, I have a pwr intercooler to put on its bar and plate & a little bit smaller then the 600x300 tube and fin hanging off the front but It was a bargain so hopefully its more effective.

As for power figures when does it ever stop hey. Im not scared to push the limits down the track, but on a decent tune hopefully see 350rwkw without pushing it too hard. I do however have access to another 044 & 1600cc injectors if I get bored. As long as it torque steers the whole way through third gear and the whole setup feels as tight as the money ive spent to get it where it is then suppose thats enough.

---------- Post added 09-05-10 at 22:50 ----------

edit - fk its depressing looking at all the photos of **** ive changed along the way without driving the thing. Changed my mind too much, mostly ebay whoring & good bargains that made me do it tho havent lost alot of money just alot of time & labour.
Old 09-06-10, 15:26   #21
vpwagonII
Gold Members

Car: vp wagon series II
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonez View Post

Plenum doesnt look too bad in my opinion

yeh looks very nice how its tucked in on the side
vpwagonII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 15:44   #22
VKiller
TO00NZ

Car: '96 Skyline GTST
Trader Rating: (16)
Did you buy this from a bloke called Adam in Sydney?
Old 09-06-10, 15:59   #23
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Yeah sure did, If you no him tell him its almost finished.

---------- Post added 09-06-10 at 16:25 ----------

& If he paid for the ecu wiring that person should be shot !
Old 09-06-10, 17:39   #24
GAS747
GAS747

Car: GAS747 | TUFGT0
Trader Rating: (12)
fk yeh that interior is mint i love it

good work on the build tis coming up nicely
Radial Life
GAS747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-10, 16:43   #25
jbonez
King Of Re-Work

Up your dates.

Just putting it back together and a couple small jobs to be done.

Got some new shet from the US for the finishing touches but im happy with how easy everythings going back together.

Good luck charm

Few bits from the US to go on, IAT Sensor, Wideband 02, Few warning lights im going to setup, switches etc, but mostly gauges / shift light in the next pics.

Got a fuel pressure gauge in there as well, didnt think it was worthy of a spot on the dash.

Intercooler pipes on & finished, only 1 join other then turbo/cooler so hopefully no blown pipes.

Screamer pipe ended up being too long but it looked cool anyway

Found a bargain nizpro style cooler on ebay so Its in the cupboard maybe if I can find a Turbo calais manual wagon it might be a nice addition.

Also did my own wiring loom for the car, first time but im happy with the results, I didnt shrink wrap it tho mostly because I wasnt confident enough but Il pull it out and make it look nice before I send it away

Also got rid of the Gteck cooler because I found another bargain on a custom core sized PWR cooler its a bit smaller then 600x300 & its bar and plate rather then tube and fin, but the FPI and the quality is alot better so hopefully the Iat sensor will let me no otherwise. Also doesnt stick out below the bar(as much), even tho I think it looks pretty cool im over the look on vls and wanna try something a bit differnt.

[IMG]

Hopefully mount the power steering res on the other side tomorrow, might put the radiator/fan/belts on also.

Installed a turbotech boost controller today as well.

Goto wire up the gauges & finish the dump pipe and im going to send it to a workshop to get tuned.

Last edited by jbonez; 12-06-10 at 20:48.