JD CUSTOM

Old 30-08-02, 14:29   #1
bluvlt
Player

Car: GQ Patrol, Moded Sierra
Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via MSN to bluvlt
WTF is the point

What the hell is the point of having a monster tacho? I understand they are more acurate but surely you dont need a***in 5-6" faced tacho for it to be accurate? I dont understand, is there actually apoint in having one or is just mainly for looks?
bluvlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-02, 14:35   #2
HOLD64
Player

Car: RB30ETT EH Holden + MY00 WRX
...well I think the bigger it is, the easier it is to see without actually focusing too much attention to it ie. taking your eyes off the road.

..think about it - if you are flying along at a 200kmh concentrating on the road, I'd much prefer to glimpse at a monster tacho to get a rev reading then to be squinting at a 2inch tacho on my dash!

..oh and plus the 90% wank factor for street use
Old 30-08-02, 14:38   #3

They were designed for racecars where you could see them without focusing on them (if you know what I mean) sort of a piriferal glance thing. they do look a bit overkill on a road car. They dont look sik, they make people sick! ops:
Old 30-08-02, 14:43   #4
bluvlt
Player

I can understand having one or something similar in a race car, but in a street car?????????? Ifyou cant tell how many revs (aprox) your car is doing when your not looking at the dash then there is something wrong with you, if you cant see a 2" taco from your drivers seat, I dont think that your eye sight is good enuf to be driving at all
Old 30-08-02, 18:21   #5
^Mobil_HRT^
Daily Boost

Car: VLCT HRT-6 + Mazda 3 MPS
Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via ICQ to ^Mobil_HRT^ Send a message via MSN to ^Mobil_HRT^
Monster Tachos are FUL SIK!!!!!

I should be getting one soon, but its only caus a mate is selling one to me cheap cheap, and i wouldn't mind having a tacho in my car.
^Mobil_HRT^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-02, 08:25   #6
aus880
Gold Members

Car:
Trader Rating: (27)
They have enormous wanker value!!!

They also have an amazing effect on the drivers window too! If you have a monster tacho then the window will always be down so you can show off the fact that you have one to everybody.......trouble is that 99% of other drivers will actually be laughing to themselves about the young pimply faced kid with the "monster tacho" penis extension fixed in a prominent position for others to see!!!!

Yeh you can tell that I believe they are a huge waste of money. If you think you "NEED" one spend the money on seeing a psychiatrist to work out your obvious self esteem problem
aus880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-02, 19:59   #7
vl_grunt
Player

Car:
They are full sick Bro!!! hhahahahah

really they are more of a novelty than anything else

:roll:

ThATS why I dont nEeD One
Old 01-09-02, 21:42   #8
Red RB30 Jet
Player

Car: VL
Trader Rating: (8)
I find a "Monster" tacho with shift light very useful for drag raceing especially when going up against a V8 with straight out exhaust and also when wearing a helmet I can't hear nothing. So I set the shift light for around 5,500rpm then go for it and only change gears when I see the light and remain focused on driveing the car in a straight line , it makes raceing more easier and gives you more accuracy.
But I do agree on some cars it's a complete "Wanker" item especially when fitted to "Riced" up Lancers.

Also the prices on these tacho's are a bit steep and are not needed unless you are a keen racer or complete "Wanker".
Red RB30 Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-02, 06:55   #9

I dont know how these guys can justify the cost when used on near standard ****box cars. :!: I agree with the racing idea, but a simple shift light is about 1/4 of the cost of a monster tach. I use a shift light on my car, never look at the tach, just fuel pressure, oil temp and trans temp each lap.
Old 02-09-02, 09:31   #10
InsaneVL
So Much Win

Car: Just a Non-Turbo VL...
Trader Rating: (32)
I ended up getting a Heads Up Display in favour of a "monster tacho" for my car...

the HUD can display speed, or revs, and has 7 sequential leds, that can also be set for speed or revs, and set to come on at a desired time. Usually i have the HUD on the speedo (a digital speedo displayed on the windscreen is SO much easier to read than the speedo in the cluster - and helps me keep on or below the speed limit so the boys in blue dont take my last 2 points away for something stupid like accidentally creeping over the limit), and i usually have the LED's on the tacho - so when the engine revs enough - the LEDS start going across, so i know its getting close to shift point - and once all 7 are lit and flashin, then i knock it up a gear...

when i got it, i thought - my bit of rice for the car - but it is very usefull, and personally, i dont think its a "look at me, look at me, im a wanker" statement

anyone in bris got a digital camera ?? i'll take a few pics of it in action if someone wants to come round for some photo's...
Old 02-09-02, 10:03   #11
bluvlt
Player

Where did you get, how much and how hard to fit was the head up display?
Old 02-09-02, 10:20   #12
InsaneVL
So Much Win

the HUD is a DEFI HUD II, costs about $500 new (i picked mine up for $250 2nd hand from Performance Forums). Was pretty easy to install - just need to tap in 4 wires from the dash - ignition (pink), ground (black), speed (green/white), tacho (brown/red). Is pretty accurate - will see if i can get some pics up - i dont have a digital camera though..
Old 02-09-02, 12:01   #13
Morgz85
Player

Car: '87 VL (Project Car)
Send a message via ICQ to Morgz85 Send a message via MSN to Morgz85
That HUD sounds interesting, might look that one up.

Monster tacho's are handy when they have a shift light for drags etc but really, people use them for looks. I know someone who owns an old Mini Cooper with a monster tacho on his dash....wats the point there i say?...

I find the standard tacho in the dash to be quite fine to glance down and check
Old 02-09-02, 14:45   #14
stageIII
Player

Car:
i got my moster tacho coz my dash tacho is ****ed. it read 600 rpm on idle. and its valve bounced at 4300 rpm. i couldnt find a suitable place to mount the tacho so i had to put it on the pillar. i like it anyway.. but what i dont like is the people that buy tachos that are worth more than their car. i got mine cheap.. i used to be one of yous, i hated the ****in things, but after getting one and using it im glad i brought it. but i wouldnt pay 400 bucks for it!

andrew
Old 02-09-02, 14:47   #15
scoota_vlt
Player

Car:
Yep,
I've got a monster tacho and a bov on my vlt and it's an auto car, lol i guess that means I'm RICE!! no!!! Ah well, at least it's not a 1.5 litre lancer with 18inch rims, evo kit, and hks and trust stickers :P
scoota_vlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-02, 14:49   #16
stageIII
Player

Car:
tacho on an auto is a bit over the top dude. mines a manual. why do u need it on your auto? and doesnt the blow off valve over fuel your car and make it blow **** loads of smoke?
Old 02-09-02, 14:54   #17

It wont run rich if the outlet of the BOV is plumbed back into the system.
Old 02-09-02, 14:56   #18
stageIII
Player

Car:
yeah thats what i had on my calais when it was auto.
Old 02-09-02, 15:18   #19
scoota_vlt
Player

Car:
Hey,
I put the tacho because the factory tacho in my car is giving some bodgy readings, my new transmission will have a shift kit as well. I guess there my reasons. AS for the BOV, it is on the intercooler piping, and it does feel like it is running rich
Later
Scoota
Old 02-09-02, 16:57   #20
InsaneVL
So Much Win

why put a tacho / shift light on an auto ????

im sure we've answered this one many a time..

i had a monster tacho on my old calais, and have the HUD and shift leds on my new calais... both are auto...
i need to know the shift point, because to get the most out of the custom cam (that makes power all the way to 6200 redline) i need to lock the gearbox into 1st, and when it gets near redline, shift it up to 2nd.. leaving it in drive shifts WAY WAY WAY too early for my set up... and the only thing stopping me from hitting the rev limiter is a nice little flash from my shift light / led that tells me to shift the bloody thing up a gear !!
Old 02-09-02, 22:35   #21
hurtie_hurtie
Player

Car:
scoota might as well by a lancer...ffs
hurtie_hurtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-02, 18:22   #22
scoota_vlt
Player

Car:
a lancer? i believe the rajab car (the old red one) had a monster tacho the same as mine, i recognize they are different cars but would you call there 9 second car ricey? ah well :?
Old 03-09-02, 19:46   #23
stageIII
Player

Car:
haha no, i would call there 9 second machine a drag car. which is what monster tachos were made for... racing... on the drag strip. in manual cars. im sure the race cars dont put tachos on for looks...
Old 12-02-03, 23:07   #24
hellbent
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoota_vlt
Yep,
I've got a monster tacho and a bov on my vlt and it's an auto car, lol i guess that means I'm RICE!! no!!! Ah well, at least it's not a 1.5 litre lancer with 18inch rims, evo kit, and hks and trust stickers :P
the only reason they are considered ricey is becuase rice kids mummy buys it so his car can look quick coincedentally i have also seen a 4 door exel with a big ass MUGEN sticker on the back window ???????????? 8)
Old 13-02-03, 12:18   #25
Choice_Bro
Player

Car: R32 GTS25/ R31 Wagon.
What about an auto with a quick shift kit? Would the rice police allow me to use a guage on that, or will I recieve glares from knobs?
Choice_Bro is offline   Reply With Quote