User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Feature Cars > In Progress
Oz Drive - Driver Education

Old 18-09-11, 10:07   #226
zaksvl
VL FANATIC

Car: R51 Pathfinder
Trader Rating: (12)
thats it, its good that after all this time your still unwilling to let it fall below par or anywhere near that. good on ya ! cant wait to see cruising or at shows, because ill come to see it thats for sure.
Old 21-09-11, 12:04   #227
EvilPet
Gold Members

Car: VL HDT AERO
Trader Rating: (2)
UPDATE: Installing the digital speedo and overspeed alert device

I've done a pile of things to EVILPET this week and these will be chronicled over the next few days. I've had some wins and a few setbacks. I'm doing this update sitting at Natrad in Joondalup managed by a forum member and he's just told me there's a possibility I'm going to be stuck here the whole day so I may not get to work further on my cabin enhancements. Ho hum.....

Btw. I'm supposed to be on holidays.....

Anyway.......

DIGITAL SPEEDO.....

This is the completed unit.

Now a few things needed to be done as I thought about the whole setup further.

I needed to attach a variable dial type switch to the light sensor that controls the brightness of the LED. The sensor is supposed to be mounted on the window of the dash and depending on night or day and outside lighting it would adjust the intensity of the brightness of the LED.

Not happy with that setup. Firstly I didn't want a sensor node the size of two pinheads in my dash and I'd like to be in control of the brightness, just like the dash lights. Here's the sensor.

I quickly found a dimmer switch off a Vauxhall and thought that would suit but comparing it to the dash symbols when I got back it's not really a match so for the time being it will sit under the dash. I found a nice Celica dial dimmer unit which is as big as the hazard button on the steering column. The symbols appear to match the VL style so I'll fit that in October. This is the Vauxhall unit.

Now to make this work I had the idea of connecting a bright LED connected to the ignition power end to end with the sensor and then connecting the dimmer to the LED.

By doing this I have total control of the LED illumination intensity.....in theory.....

Yes.....that's a straw from McDonalds. It does the job.....

Now if you all remember I was going to rip the speaker alert module from a VR so that my system sounds like a Holden unit.

Now desolder the bit out of the board.

And here we have a Holden swap part.

Now to completely refit a cruise control switch so that each button becomes a momentary switch button. Here's the board removed.

Here's the pcb I have to re-wire.

Had to scratch some connections and re-wire some.

And here's the rewire.

Dunno whether you can see the bridging and rewiring but you'll have to take my word for it.....

Assembled now I have a perfect switch that matches the cruise control switch. I'm designing internal decals for both the speed alert and cruise control in the same font as I can't figure what font was used in the 80s by Holden. That way both sides match perfectly.

This now also replaces the switch I made up at the beginning of the year as pictured here.

Now for the LED install. In the last year I've had the dash out more often than hooker would show her tits so once again, out it comes...

Had to take out the LED that didn't work and do the old switcheroo...

You can also see we made a black frame to stop light bleed from the other warning lights from the surrounding top and bottom shelves.

We actually had to break then repaint it.

Now for the install.....and re-assembly....

In speed alert mode...Example: if it goes over 95km it beeps...the up and down buttons set the limit (and the switch works perfectly!)

And in speedo mode.

My Personal Verdict: I'm not 100% happy.....I'm going to rip it out and see what the other LEDs look like. I reckon Ultra Green would be a better fit for the dash lighting......

Last edited by EvilPet; 21-09-11 at 12:34. Reason: Wrong pics
EvilPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-11, 12:23   #228
Bax

Car: Pushbike
Trader Rating: (41)
And that's where I'd be looking at putting a blue film over the top, trying to cool down the colour of the green a bit more to patch the greeny blue of the original.

It looks good, but you're right, it definitely needs an icey blue green colour. To be quite honest I'm a little surprised you haven't got the entire dash scheme hooked up to LED's on an some kind of colour switch. Red car - cycle through to Red LED's etc.

That doesn't really match your vision though I guess.

Either way, as always, amazing work, regardless of a slight mismatch in colour.
Bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-11, 12:27   #229
EvilPet
Gold Members

The dash lights were replaced with White LEDs and that changed the colour of the dash - it went a greeny blue. So I bought green ones to re-fit today but I'm still stuck here at Natrad waiting for my aircond to get sorted so it may be Friday. If not next year I guess. I need to make sure all the colors match up including the gear indicator and boost gauge.

Cycling of colours isn't really part of my vision for this but good idea all the same.

Last edited by EvilPet; 21-09-11 at 12:30.
Old 21-09-11, 18:36   #230
FLY-03L
Official Member

Car: 5 Speed VL SL
Trader Rating: (6)
This is amazing mate, the detail is mind boggling. Far be it from me to point out the obvious, but are you going about this in the wrong way.. can you just match the clock to the speedo LED?
Old 21-09-11, 18:44   #231
zaksvl
VL FANATIC

id just leave it the way it is. i think its good that it is a slightly different colour as you wont confuse it on a quick glance while driving with the clock.... holden couldnt have done it better... awesome work.
Old 21-09-11, 21:24   #232
yplay
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (1)
green leds will bother you aswell mate tried them and my needleson the gauges went green and couldnt see them at night
Old 19-10-11, 08:50   #233
EvilPet
Gold Members

UPDATE: This Project is REALLY pissing me off

It's taken me quite a few weeks to write an update. Its' taken me a few weeks to even look at pictures or even contact people who should be working on the car right now.

Like a kid who's eaten too much chocolate on Easter Sunday, I'm pretty well sick of the car and all the issues I had from the time I landed in Perth.

- 20 hour flight from London and straight from the airport to pick up car and then had to head to the workshop as the speedo wasn't working - 3 hours as had to wait until other jobs were finished - didn't see family
- Speedo stopped working that weekend again.
- Car difficult to start (more on that later)
- The dash re-install AFTER the heater core was replaced left wires hanging, stereo unplugged, deck no longer fitting in the special cradle, pins broken off the dash which made it loose and this which nearly brought me to tears...

THE POD WAS WARPED - the fabric showing signs of being stretched when everything was re-assembled. It was also had grubby hand marks on the brand new fabric. Ok that aside, I was pretty ticked at it. This pod looked perfect when we first installed it. Snug fit.

Next thing - I couldn't turn the heater off.

Then found out a heater lever had been re-assembled upside down and that the aircond needed a complete service given the whole thing was pulled apart.

*sigh*

The alarm had shorted which freaked me out so I didn't really drive anywhere on the weekend except where I could visually see the car. Horn wasn't working. No way to check it as it's cradled in the bumper. Can't inspect them unless the whole bumper gets taken off....which I wasn't going to do.

There was something wrong with the rear parking sensor and the front one hadn't been fitted.

Anyway, Monday sorted out the alarm (bought a new one as I couldn't be assed getting the other one fixed which would have taken a few days...) and a few other things including installing the digital speedo. Took a day. Got home 10pm.

Horn still not working...

Tuesday the car was back at Briffa getting a few little things fixed like the pod and a few little things like the bonnet cable (bonnet would not lift as cable stretched) and the auto-electrician came to try and sort out a voltage leak and re-connect the AERO spotlights....and I discovered why they weren't working as he ripped all the wiring out by mistake when he re-did the harness. Speedo cable ordered.

Wednesday. A quick call to NATRAD to re-gas the aircond turned into a 7 hour epic as the whole thing had to be rebuilt so waiting around for parts and so forth. But it was done and done well. Bumper had to come off....

So let's take a look at the horns...

Mystery solved.

Someone...Briffa or Cowley, the panel beater didn't re-connect it. Heck I'm not out for the blame game. That was just pretty poor workmanship. Fixed now, i'm happy.

Final checks...

Pressure appears steady and holding and this nightmare of a day was over. 7-8 hours sitting in a waiting room watching movies on my iPad2 - Love you Apple! But that's a whole day of precious holiday gone, but it had to be done.

Thursday was supposed to do more on the cabin but a comment "Hey your car is leaking oil..." resulted in 7 hours back at Briffa. Oil everywhere over new paint work in the engine bay.

Power steering hose had shat itself...

Another wasted day in the workshop when we were supposed to be working on the cabin enhancements.

One thing though, had fun with the high school kid on work experience. Got him to go across to the cabinet makers to get "a long wait" and pissed ourselves for 20 mins as they sat him down on a chair outside....he still didn't click for the rest of the day that the tasks I was sending him on were pranks "Kid - go to the shed and get a fallopian tube..."

However, dimwit who was going to send the speedo cable didn't....(cause he's an idiot..)
How hard is it to take a frickin' order and send it?

So by Friday all we could do was get the parking sensors working properly and mounted.

However, car wouldn't start in the morning and took 10 or so minutes to start.

Fuel issue turned out to be a defective fuel pump.

I'll get that done when I'm back in Perth in a few weeks.

When I got back to London I really felt like throwing the key to the shed away. The car had caused me nothing but anguish that week back.

But slowly and surely I figure I have to get a bunch of stuff arranged now.

Car went back to the panel beaters this week. Minor scratches to be buffed out.

I re-designed on Photoshop the cards for the Cruise Control and Speed Alert. I reckon these look spot on factory now.

IF you remember I wasn't happy with the ones I got made up.

These are the new ones. Font matches perfectly.

Time to get motivated again if I'm going to be back in six weeks....

More updates to come.

Last edited by EvilPet; 19-10-11 at 08:52.
Old 19-10-11, 09:15   #234
zaksvl
VL FANATIC

Just because someone doesn't reconnect the horn. It isn't bad workmanship. Lol the guys only human.I wouldn't bother buffing the car until it's all done anyway, or at least ready to show off a little bit. Otherwise you will be getting more buffs constantly, costing you more money. All the all heart aches will dissapear out of the window when its finished. good luck with rest of your build

Last edited by zaksvl; 19-10-11 at 17:43.
zaksvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-11, 09:35   #235
Bax

Car: Pushbike
Trader Rating: (41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaksvl View Post
Just because someone doesn't reconnect the horn. It isn't bad workmanship. Lol the guys only human.
That's where I disagree, it's not as terrible as it could be, but it's negligence on their part for not making sure everything was back to how it was when it first came in.
Bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-11, 09:53   #236
zaksvl
VL FANATIC

true, it would piss me off aswell a little bit, but it would take 2 mins to reconnect. i guess it would differ for someone who has no clue about cars. maybe im to leaniant.
Old 19-10-11, 10:13   #237
Yeti
UONP - Coming Back!

Car:
Trader Rating: (55)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaksvl View Post
true, it would piss me off aswell a little bit, but it would take 2 mins to reconnect. i guess it would differ for someone who has no clue about cars. maybe im to leaniant.
I think with his front bar it's not a 2 minute job? And it is a poor effort from the panel beaters.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-11, 14:08   #238
zaksvl
VL FANATIC

Woops didn't see that bit... 32mins to fix, that sucks then
Old 19-10-11, 16:41   #239
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Trader Rating: (22)
I think it's more a case of how much business he has provided to these various companies, and to have things not done right or done poorly is a kick in the sack. It's happened to me in the past, and I now do 95% of the work myself. It won't be perfect, but at least when it does work I can enjoy the sense of accomplishment.

Love your work as always EvilPet.
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 15:35   #240
Acqeel
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Nice work. Great idea too. All of it seems far too complicated though, looking at all that wiring. Lets just say it's just not my sorta thing.
Acqeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-11, 13:30   #241
EvilPet
Gold Members

Back on the saddle

Well I've been back in Perth now a few days and back to this project. I'm having a real love hate relationship with this project as have been let down yet again by a few tradIes.

*sigh*

Things that were done whilst I was away;

Paint touch ups on parts of the car that wasn't 100%. Result was that one or two things were overlooked by the painter but very minor.

Things that were supposed to be done but weren't;

My boot and interior. Disappointed.

What is being done now;

- Seting out why my car idles like a dog with asthma. Pinned it down to a wire to the temp sensor. To be fixed tomorrow along with reviewing the current program on the chip (was sourced from Nissan in the 90s)
- Agreed the boot design (again). Slimline Rockford Fosgate subs, a first aid kit and safety triangle in a layout similar to a Mercedes with white LEDs lining the boot.
- Repainted the dash and console (also fixed a small crack and now window switch sits perfectly)
- Replacing chip in speed alert digital speedo and reinstalling this weekend
- completing the pop up mechanism for the TomTom.
- recut the exhaust tip so now it contours with the body kit
- Purchased a yellow Optima battery and bought the second battery for the boot as pictured.

Need now to find someone who can print those speed alert decals off in 1:1 ratio (just need to be printed on paper). My printer prints it a fraction smaller than the source piece. Don't know how to rectify. It's just a jpeg file.

Anyone can assist here?

Also met with the Car Detailer regarding getting all the grubby tradie hand marks off various trims.

I'm not even going to go into the BS I've had to deal with up to this point from my last update but I've decided to stay in Australia until this is finished.

i feel like Darth Vader now in Return of the Jedi.

Car will be finished in time for Motorvation....I hope. Sometimes I wish I had the Vader's ability to do mind tricks and of course strangle by remote....

Last edited by EvilPet; 13-12-11 at 13:34.
Old 14-12-11, 21:29   #242
EvilPet
Gold Members

Engine Done!!!

Happy to report that after 7 months, the engine and drive train are finished and tuned to my satisfaction. She goes like a frckin' rocket!

Installed an Optima yellow top then rebuilt the battery box in the engine bay;

Now to start polishing and detailing. Still have the specially made strut top caps to install.

Part of the tuning involved pulling apart my computer. Never did this before but interesting anyway. Sparkie confirmed the board is Nissan factory (you will notice an extra chip next to the ribbon). From what I know about my car, Brookvale Carburettors in Sydney sourced the RB30 performance race version board directly from Nissan in Japan.

Now on to the cabin and boot customisations....

Last edited by EvilPet; 15-12-11 at 00:47.
Old 15-12-11, 09:29   #243
Duke57TT
Missile Performance

Trader Rating: (18)
Send a message via MSN to Duke57TT
Champion..
Old 18-12-11, 23:13   #244
BUD
ICEMAN

Car: VL berlina x2
Trader Rating: (1)
Awesome mate been awhile since i have been on but worth the read keep up the killa work
BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-11, 16:23   #245
EvilPet
Gold Members

Speed Alert switch

Complete and now fitted. I really think this now looks like a "factory" unit.

I ended up printing out the cards myself on a home printer and matching the size with the original piece then using the sharpest Stanley I could find and a metal ruler to cut the inserts.

Last edited by EvilPet; 19-12-11 at 16:30.
Old 22-12-11, 16:08   #246
EvilPet
Gold Members

Throttle Position Switch

Well sods law dictates that when everything is going right, something will go wrong. TPS decided to crap itself enroute to taking car for final cabin and boot enhancements. Waiting for tow truck on Kwinana Freeway right now. It's back to Briffa to get sorted. It's like this car does not want to be finished...

Update: Some dude just pulled over in front of me in a brand new Lexus and is throwing up...ah Perth.....I do not miss you.....

Update: Back at Briffa it's actually the AFM which went into limp mode. Awaiting another one and I'm back on schedule again in about 30 mins.

Update: Car dropped off for final customisations. Next stop is Motorvation!

Last edited by EvilPet; 23-12-11 at 01:37.
Old 29-12-11, 09:34   #247
EvilPet
Gold Members

Building a Retro-Upgraded Boot

Work progresses firstly to update features of my boot. I spent countless hours looking at the boots of mainly European cars and settled for a hybrid of both Mercedes and BMW. Some key features include a safety triangle (sourced from an E-Class Merc) on the underside of the bootlid and purpose made First Aid kit built into a special compartment. This all had to fit around my Rockford amps and super slim subs as well as a backup battery which runs all the accessories. Hence we started to flatten the boot out. Lighting in the boot is white LEDs.

Test fit of sub and amp enclosure. Battery box fits snug to the right.

Last edited by EvilPet; 29-12-11 at 09:39.
Old 29-12-11, 09:36   #248
Gab dH
Gabjax

Car: Now: 86 VL Calais. Then:87 VL Exec.
Trader Rating: (7)
Send a message via MSN to Gab dH
Is that the sub enclosure? More pics
Old 29-12-11, 09:40   #249
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab dH View Post
Is that the sub enclosure? More pics
Refer above... :-)
Old 29-12-11, 09:41   #250
Gab dH
Gabjax

Car: Now: 86 VL Calais. Then:87 VL Exec.
Trader Rating: (7)
Send a message via MSN to Gab dH
Oh man that is ****ing TIGHT! LOVE IT! Love this whole build