JD CUSTOM

Old 17-01-12, 10:02   #276
EvilPet
Gold Members

Car: VL HDT AERO
Trader Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaksvl View Post
this is the only areo kitted vl i actually like, awesome job man, looks a really good
Thx!
EvilPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-12, 10:17   #277
Duke57TT
Missile Performance

Trader Rating: (18)
Send a message via MSN to Duke57TT
I would be shipping the car to the UK to enjoy it mate.
Old 17-01-12, 10:39   #278
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke57TT View Post
I would be shipping the car to the UK to enjoy it mate.
Parts and servicing would be the main issue. Plus i don't drive in the uk. Tubes, trains, buses and taxis are the go. Parking is the biggest issue as besides my place (as I have a bay), it would generally be mainly street parking. Remember what happened to "The Inbetweeners" when they went to Soho?

However, In the future, I will be taking it to Europe for the "Hot lap" retracing the "strike me pink" Bathurst XU1's journey from 1972 but will be well prepped for that with parts on standby. I'd like to take pics if the car against famous European landmarks too.

http://www.holdenuk.co.uk/page2.html

Btw. I'm still looking for that Torana to buy. Have tracked it to several owners so far.
Old 21-03-12, 15:19   #279
MUS
Chunky but funky

Car: VLCT
Trader Rating: (6)
Mate your work is phenomenal.. I can't believe how much detail has gone into this car. Your car holds the title of Best VL i have ever seen. Cheers!
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-12, 20:03   #280
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSone View Post
Mate your work is phenomenal.. I can't believe how much detail has gone into this car. Your car holds the title of Best VL i have ever seen. Cheers!
Thanks!

I'm back later this year to finish it. I have a few more ideas I'm going to see whether I can incorporate.
Old 22-07-12, 19:38   #281
350stato
Gold Members

Car: VE Daily, 2JZ VL Exec, RB 200SX, 1UZFET KE20, 4K KE20, 1JZ L300, 70 Caddy Coupe
Trader Rating: (0)
......wow!
350stato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-12, 22:29   #282
SLO.BT1
too lazy for cars

Car: factory berlina turbo,xbgs coupe,xc sedan,xp falcon sedan,stock white bt1,na fairlane,2011 hilux sr 4x4
Trader Rating: (1)
what amazing work.wow man, thats so impressive.just wow
Old 26-07-12, 10:37   #283
xAsh-
Official Member

Car: SL Turbo, Calais Daily
Trader Rating: (4)
Whats the go with exporting a VL to Europe anyway? Would rego/MOT be a problem since its not quite a classic (in terms of age) yet?

Sleeper build thread - http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=235527
xAsh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 16:38   #284
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAsh- View Post
Whats the go with exporting a VL to Europe anyway? Would rego/MOT be a problem since its not quite a classic (in terms of age) yet?
It should be fine. I've seen a car with a WA number plate previously but somehow I reckon the owner doesn't know about it being here if you know what I mean.

I can display my WA plates for up to 12 months in the UK. But I only intend to have it here for a short period (under 6 months).

If a vehicle registered outside the EU is temporarily imported for commercial or private use, I can claim relief from customs charges. This is from a customs procedure called ‘Temporary Admission - Public Notice 308’.

There was a bloke over here who brought across his Asteroid Silver VK Brock then shipped it back.

I daresay I shouldn't have any issues with it. Insurance on the other hand will be tricky! That's something I am still researching. I have friends who are insurance brokers who should be able to advise.
Old 28-08-12, 14:26   #285
Mr_Jox
Player

Car: Wooden Box With 4 wheels
this is great you are a very talented man, congratz on the finish, looks mint
Mr_Jox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-12, 08:08   #286
EvilPet
Gold Members

UPDATE: Well, my visit to Perth has come and gone and although this build is almost at the end, I thought I'd update with a few items done whilst I was back.

Firstly, it's the first time in 8 years that there has been no dramas with the car or excessive times spent in workshops building or designing.

I drove it up through the hills to Mundaring to Rockingham and she's an absolute joy to drive.

THE GOOD: Watching the digital speedo numbers cycle up and down in synchronisation with the analogue speedo dial was such a joy to see working after 2 years from concept, design, manufacture, installation and calibration.

WORK TO BE DONE: I'm going to shift the magnetic sensor of the digital speedo on the tailshaft toward the rear axle where ther is less play. I do notice the readings go haywire past the 120km mark as the tailshaft shifts up front due to the load on speed and the sensor is trying to compensate.

We would have done this on initial installation but I didn't have a hoist.

Going to do this December. I'm also going to replace that Digital speedo LED to the most super bright one I can get from China that matches the digital clock. But need to figure out the logistics of doing this as the dash needs to be pulled out and the which case needs to be replaced with another modified one. This is quite a big job as the whole instrumentation cluster needs to be taken apart and re-assembled.

I'm also replacing the lamps behind the Cruise Control switch and Speed Alert switch so it's more "green" - I wanted the light scheme to be congruent with the boost gauge colours. Green LEDs should do the job but I'll have to install a resistor to step the voltage down.

Again December to complete.

Engine Bay Completion

I finally have the final piece to complete the engine bay - The custom strut tower caps I had made up.

SATNAV System

Now for that Tom Tom SatNav system. As in previous posts in this thread, I bought another dash, cut it etc and am half way through this process. Since the iPhone 5 release today, I'm having second thoughts and might ditch my current TomTom. I reckon I can mould the iPhone 5 into the dash and use it as a hands free and SatNav system given that TomTom is now standard. Watch this space. My head is going into design mode. Again, the design must not look out of place or contemporary.

Electric Window Switch Servicing

As per previous posts I updated my central console switch with a VY black unit. One of the LEDs had blown and I thought I'd pull the unit apart and determine whats wrong and replace the LED. So I went to Holden for the LED and guess what, you can't buy it as a separate piece. You have to buy the whole unit! At $178 that wasn't going to happen. So I pulled it apart anyway and using parts from other projects tried to see whether I could fix it.

If you ever want to clean your switch, it's a bitch! Took me a good hour with alcohol rub swipes to get it as good as new. Theres grit and dirt stuff embedded in the switch crevices I do not know how it got there.

And then with a multimeter trying to figure out where the issue is on the LEDs.

In the end I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the circuitry and scrapped it. Some dude on eBay had the identical switch for $40 and I bought it and am using this current one for spare parts. Now per my previous posts on this, will have to pull it apart and re-solder everything again. December...

An updated photo the day I left Perth...

I'm going to replace the "Peter Brock" decal on the LH quarter panel as the panel beater didn't put it on the correct angle. It niggles me every time I take the car out.

I have to admit the journey I've taken has been the long hard one to get this project done. However the end is in sight and now I have a lot of free time back in Perth to enjoy the car. But one thing I've noticed, I don't drive it around as much as I fear it being damaged....

Last edited by EvilPet; 13-09-12 at 08:10.
Old 13-09-12, 22:17   #287
3lturbo

Mate your car is awesome, and your build thread. Any other mods planned?
3lturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-12, 01:02   #288
xAsh-
Official Member

Car: SL Turbo, Calais Daily
Trader Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPet View Post
It should be fine. I've seen a car with a WA number plate previously but somehow I reckon the owner doesn't know about it being here if you know what I mean.

I can display my WA plates for up to 12 months in the UK. But I only intend to have it here for a short period (under 6 months).

If a vehicle registered outside the EU is temporarily imported for commercial or private use, I can claim relief from customs charges. This is from a customs procedure called ‘Temporary Admission - Public Notice 308’.

There was a bloke over here who brought across his Asteroid Silver VK Brock then shipped it back.

I daresay I shouldn't have any issues with it. Insurance on the other hand will be tricky! That's something I am still researching. I have friends who are insurance brokers who should be able to advise.
Cheers for the info, Any idea what the go is if you wanted to move permanently over there? Also, is there a country in the Eu which would be more desireable to have a car registered in? (cheaper, less restrictive etc), because i saw alot of UK and german plates in Paris when i was there. Makes me think its probably almost like living in NSW and registering it in VIC or something.

Sleeper build thread - http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=235527
xAsh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-12, 07:12   #289
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lturbo View Post
Mate your car is awesome, and your build thread. Any other mods planned?
Thanks.

I'm currently looking at modifying the VL rear view mirror to incorporate a day / night reversing camera. A lot of thought on this one so the mirror does not look out of place.

I have already installed sensors for the front and rear bumpers - these are hidden per the thread.

But this is a long term thing on the mirror. More than likely it will be the last mod I do on the car and will say that's as far as I can take it.

---------- Post added 14-09-12 at 08:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAsh- View Post
Cheers for the info, Any idea what the go is if you wanted to move permanently over there? Also, is there a country in the Eu which would be more desireable to have a car registered in? (cheaper, less restrictive etc), because i saw alot of UK and german plates in Paris when i was there. Makes me think its probably almost like living in NSW and registering it in VIC or something.
Yeah its a straight forward process to legally register it. But many don't causing parking inspectors headaches. The a Abu Dhabi registered Lamborghini in London which is the "white whale" for parking inspectors racking over £60,000 in fines but because they have no means to identify the driver, continues to elude them. My eventual plan is to bring the car over and take it for a hot lap around Europe one summer including taking retracing the "Strike Me Pink" Bathurst XUI journey of 1973. along the way take pictures of the car against famous monuments and attractions.
Old 14-10-12, 15:08   #290
bdj_007
Player

Car: 2002 Holden VX Equipe
Send a message via MSN to bdj_007
Absolutely astounding car mate. ALOT of blood sweat and tears.
Old 21-04-13, 21:29   #291
KALAY
Fear is exciting for me

Car: VL Calais
any updates on this car?
KALAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-13, 18:25   #292
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD_WoG View Post
any updates on this car?

Not really, its about 95% there.

Just some cabin features that need to be completed and I'm done.

I drove her for a couple of days last time I was back and performance-wise she was flawless.

Cabin-wise these are the things that still need to be completed.

- New VY centre-console electric window switch replaced. As mentioned in a previous post one of the lights under a switch stopped working. So I'll swap the guts and re-solder wiring. (About 2 hours work)
- I need to replace and install one green globe on the SPEED ALERT and CRUISE CONTROL switches (About an hour)
- The Digital Speedometer LED - I was going to replace this with a brighter one but after some initial tests decided just to remove the green filter off it and replace it with a clear one. This involves ripping out the dash and taking the the now customised instrument cluster apart (About 4 hours)
- My analogue speedo wobbles up to 40km. Replaced everything from cables and parts and both ends and it still does it so will send the cluster off to get sorted.
- As for the SATNAV. Now that its available on an iPhone I'm looking at a neater way to install this function. But need to figure out a way that looks factory and not an aftermarket tack on.
- Also, ever since I drove a Camaro across the US, I've been fascinated with on-window instrument display units. I'm doing a bit of R&D on this as to how I can get this feature working on a VL.

Yes - 88MPH - Was expecting to go back to 1986 and buy a brand new fully spec'd HDT VL but unfortunately it didn't happen....
Old 24-04-13, 16:52   #293
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Trader Rating: (22)
I looked into HUDs a while ago. Lots of spares from US cars where it was a factory option floating around on eBay, and of course aftermarket items. guess it depends on what sort of look you want. The BMW HUDs are quite cool, incorporating the satnav as well. IMHO I don't think using the iPhone for your navigation is a good idea, because the device itself is only good for a year or so before you need to upgrade (therefore your upgrad emight not be compatible with the VL anymore). A standalone satnav unit would be much more sensible IMO.

Having said that, if I had just won the lotto I'd probably be PMing you an offer right now.
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-13, 16:06   #294
EvilPet
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spdvl View Post
I looked into HUDs a while ago. Lots of spares from US cars where it was a factory option floating around on eBay, and of course aftermarket items. guess it depends on what sort of look you want. The BMW HUDs are quite cool, incorporating the satnav as well. IMHO I don't think using the iPhone for your navigation is a good idea, because the device itself is only good for a year or so before you need to upgrade (therefore your upgrad emight not be compatible with the VL anymore). A standalone satnav unit would be much more sensible IMO.

Having said that, if I had just won the lotto I'd probably be PMing you an offer right now.
Yes, I still have the TomTom I purchased for that purpose ("upgraded" to Darth Vader voice). More thinking.

As for the HUD, most units are a plug and play into post 1996 cars (OBD II spec). I just want a speedometer number and possibly an RPM if I can figure out a way to do it. The display of course in green and red. So I'm going to see what I can cannibalise from parts. I need to take some measurements on the dash shroud as I want to mould the LED/HUD unit into it and get the guy who did my iPod holder to repaint it with the same type of finish. But I'll start doing that when I get back next.
Old 11-03-14, 21:15   #295
bdj_007
Player

Car: 2002 Holden VX Equipe
Send a message via MSN to bdj_007
Please share some more updates on your ride. By far the BEST vl by a mile. Keep it up
Old 12-03-14, 18:56   #296
EvilPet
Gold Members

Actually in Perth working on it now.

So far we've swapped the electric window console switch with another unit with brighter LEDs. Replacing LEDs in the dash as well for brighter units.

Still working on the TomTom dash. Trying to fit any work in between gaps I have in my schedule for this visit.
Old 13-03-14, 01:04   #297
MUS
Chunky but funky

Car: VLCT
How about this for a idea.. If you end up doing the mirror mod, why not also do a automatic light deflector. It's standed in my senators mirror, I can't live without it!! Everybody blinds me when I drive other peoples cars. I also have very dark tints lol.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-14, 11:34   #298
EvilPet
Gold Members

UPDATE: Fine Tuning Some Mods

One of the LEDs in the centre console was gone so I had to replace the entire circuit board with a slightly brighter VY unit.

Something that has always troubled me is the illumination of the Cruise Control Switch and my custom made Speed Alert switch which was modified from another Cruise Control switch.

Decided to put a nice bright LED in there to test then fit two Green ones.

As the LED is 3v had to fit a resistor to step it down.

This is what it will look like as test fitted.

I'll fit two per switch once I receive more of the 3mm LEDs I placed on order today.

---------- Post added 17-03-14 at 12:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUS View Post
How about this for a idea.. If you end up doing the mirror mod, why not also do a automatic light deflector. It's standed in my senators mirror, I can't live without it!! Everybody blinds me when I drive other peoples cars. I also have very dark tints lol.
There's some nice after market units I'm looking at but as time rolls on, even better ones. Will be looking at this towards the end of the year.
Old 26-03-14, 02:03   #299
mcacca
Player

Car:
Good work that looks pretty cool man
Old 08-04-14, 20:45   #300
EvilPet
Gold Members

UPDATE: Dash Lighting Finally Finished

Well after a couple of years of planning, I'm happy that the dash is finally finished. The last part was to illuminate the Speed Alert and Cruise Control Switches with 4 LEDs and now all the lighting scheme matches up.

Now to pull it apart again when I'm back next. The speedo needle wobbles up to 40 km. I've replaced the cable, the gears on both ends of the cable and I've deduced it can only be the speedo itself at fault. So next time I'm back in Perth I'm taking the dash apart again and sending it to a place in Welshpool that fixes this sort of thing.

I'm also going to replace the terminals on the front battery (I have a dual battery setup) but that's a minor "unseen" change.

Overall I'm happy that this is finally finished. Now to investigate further the HUD setup and whether there is room to install in the dash shroud.