Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > VL Non-Turbo Discussion
GRUNT Performance

Old 30-12-14, 15:38   #1
Tim747
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
VL Calais I inspected to Buy - Needs Work Complicated Situaion

Hi everyone, this is my first post and i hope I write this properly.
I cannot post photoes, the options to post photoes are asking for links? I can't upload directly from my computer?

Me and my neighbour drove an hour to look at this VL Calais 1988 for $6,000 with 10months registration, and a Road Worthy.

Owned by a 18 year old. He said he bought it off a guy that had it in a shed for 2 years, then a year later he got a RoadWorthy done on October 2014 (heaps of work, front windscreen rust repaired) and now he's selling it because he wants a Nissan Navara for Electrician Apprenticeship.

Just by looking at the cars body, it has the front and rear bumpers slightly hanging which seem like they just need re-attaching at the sides, and slightly cracked not so good condition door moulds. The rear Bumper is from a VK and is grey. And it will need a Calais Garnish, and the Boot was replaced with RWC and is scratched. Are all VL boots the same panel? The Alpine White Paint all round is pretty clean I guess, no flaking ect.
My neighbour said a Respray but I think he means everywhere silver basically needs attention. Missing Calais guard badges. When I closed the front right door the window shaked a bit and my neighbour said thats not so good and was a noisy shut? Pop up lights worked
More: Rust on scuttle under bonnet was repaired from previous Road Worthy. Under the rear window it looks like a hands palm size of surface rust, but passed road worthy before so?

Mechanically wise, when started up no smoke. Goes through gears fine, we were driving from 60-80+ on a long road and it was pretty solid. He told me on the phone it does a shake around 70-80km but goes away. we felt it I dont know what to comment about it - I'd say a rattle feel then nothing? Popped the bonnet and it was pretty warm after the drive.

Power steering felt light. Horn worked. Brakes were pretty spot on and responsive. Handbrake was adjusted according to RWC Receit but was pulling a bit high.

Interior wise there is a slight rip at the seam on the bottom rear seat, not worrying me. The dash cluster is loose, I literally could pull it up a bit . He said Fuel Gauge was faulty. The road worthy says a lot of Replace and repair electric windows work, but still the left rear window was being held up by tape? Seats belts were working. Front Seats were adjustable. Centre console was loose as well looks - like it just needs bolting in. Front doors had VS style speaker things.

The Tags say that is was built in Nov 87 - so is known 88 or 87 model for registration?

Tags read as:
Model VL8VX19-314
Body No. 266805-A
Trim 251
Paint 1J 052-D
Built NOV 87
ENG LF1
Trans ML4
Axle GM3

The car is White, Blue Trim, Auto and a Calais Sedan.
I already decoded it to make sure it was a legit Calais.

I'd really like to post photoes if some people are willing to reply and help me out. On the phone he said he'd go for $4500 which really made me keen to have a look at least.
At the end my neighbour said "look overall I think $3500 is as high as we could go". I will need it with a road worthy which he said will be extra. I asked how many people have looked at this car and he told me I was the 5th.

I don't exactly understand how he wants more with the roadworthy. If he got it done 2 months ago, there shouldn't be nothing wrong with it and it will pass straight away? The patch of boot rust under the window is a worry, and the dash cluster.

I decided to type out the Road Worthy Reciet:
REMOVE AND REFIT
FIT BOOTLID
REPAIR
PATCH RIGHT HAND FRONT DOOR
RUST ON SCUTTLE UNDER BONNET
SUBLET
REPLACE FRONT BRAKE DISCS, HEADLIGHT RELAY, REAR TAILLIGHTS, INTERIOR LIGHT, FRONT PASSENGER SEAT KNOB, BOTH REAR LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHES, WELD REAR MUFFLER, CLEAN AND LUBRICATE HEATER CONTROL LEVERS, ADJUST HANDBRAKE AND REPAIR AND REFIT DRIVERS DOOR
WINDOW WORK
RIGHT HAND REGULATOR S/H, LEFT HAND REAR WINDOW REGULATOR S/H, REAR WINDOW SWITCHES NEW, ALL WINDOW ELECTRIC MAIN SWITCHE NEW, CLEAN AND LUBRICATE L/H FRONT WINDOW RAILS
TOTAL PARTS AND LABOUR $1800

Just a reminder the left rear window is being held up by duct tape still? Don't understand how it passed, must have just passed. And he said he has a friend of his dad that can do it so they may be doing a Dodgy Road Worthy

Im looking at the fact that its a Calais, 10 months registraion for about $3500
Downside: needs body work lets say $2,000. Little things hear and there that need proper bolting in - Interior and Bumpers. No sound system (which would be upgraded anyway)
Upside. Calais, new car, Road Worthy, sort of fixed up already.

Also my mechanic says they blow Heads all the time but the Nissan Skyline R31 does not...thats a bit of a worry as well. But i am a slow driver anyway so who knows what could happen even if I had a new car.

I have a few more issues with the car and the sale. He did admitted he bought it to fix up and now he relizes how much it was to keep and now wants it gone after having it on the Road since october 2014.

Seriously wish I could post photoes, that would have been a great bonus.

Appreciate any input!

EDIT: Rang the buyer up and said I was not interested in fixing it up.

Admin can delete this.

Last edited by Tim747; 03-01-15 at 23:59.
Tim747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 06:25   #2
KALAY
Fear is exciting for me

Car: VL Calais
Trader Rating: (6)
you can post photo's via imgur

---------- Post added 12-01-15 at 07:29 ----------

and, yeah, they do head gaskets, are known for it, due to the radiator being lower than the r31
if you do anything to the cooling system, take the time to do it properly, and you will be fine (in saying that, my calais blew 2 head gaskets, just got back on the road a few months ago)
KALAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 08:47   #3
BigM22
Booooooooosssssttt!

Car: 87 Exec, BF Falcon (Daily)
Trader Rating: (0)
They crack heads, not so much blow head gaskets

Don't waste your time with it, too much work by the sounds of it, I'd offer him 2.5 and be done with it lol
Old 12-01-15, 09:51   #4
deanoVLCT
MODERATERRRRR

Car: Car: Hq gts coupe - Vl Sl turbo bt1 - Vl nitron - Vl v8 1k001 berlina - Fg xr6 ute - LJ coupe - LX slr 5000 rep
Trader Rating: (24)
Gave me a headache reading that! Seems as though you know a bit mate but not enough and may be too much work for ya! Walk away and keep looking fella!
deanoVLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 12:31   #5
REALIST
Polarized

Car: SS Group 3
Trader Rating: (1)
Sounds like a bucket of ****. Don't waste your money or time.
Old 21-01-15, 08:09   #6
MUS
Chunky but funky

Car: VLCT
Trader Rating: (6)
Biggest problem with VLs today is everybody thinks there worth a arm and a leg and try's to sell them accordingly. I personally wouldn't give more then 2.5k. That's a lot of work and headaches!! There is no chance that vl passed a roady. You will be up atleast 1k getting it roady. What are the tyres like? That could be another $500 right there. And body work on top! Jeezus.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-15, 10:22   #7
SIroller
CAL.415

Trader Rating: (52)
sounds like a bucket of poo.

for that price 3500 in that condition i'd want stock tape deck and steering wheel aswell.

essentialy it needs a taxi respray by the sounds plus lots of TLC as it seems a lot of small atention to detail items have been overlooked.

like MUS said, tyres can be 500 alone for a reasonable set

I'D WALK AWAY. for 6g you can buy a presentable turbo converted calais. for 3500 you can buy an untouched one that needs a little work. that'd be the way to go. don't go buying a vl hacked together by an 18yo.