CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Engines, Turbos, Exhausts, Intercoolers
G-Cylinder

Old 02-02-06, 06:07   #51
browny
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
400kW from an RB20? Sure you don't mean 400HP?

I wonder why most skyline guys don't get much more than 220-230rwkW from the RB20. Even the more hardcore guys seem to max out at around the 250-260rwkW mark.

At the end of the day, each of the above engines has potential to produce more power than you will ever actually need on the street.

My 'RB26 are crap' comment was a joke and if you can't figure that out then I'm hesitant to put much value on the rest of your post (which BTW comes across as a mix of magazine crap, forum ramblings and heresay).
browny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-06, 11:09   #52
WHUMPSH
Player

Car: Skyline
Trader Rating: (3)
Quote:
which BTW comes across as a mix of magazine crap, forum ramblings and heresay
it is not actually either it plain mechanical knowledge and personal experience and i sorry that i didn't reconise that it was a joke it was late and i had just finished rebuilding and installing and rb30 into a vl.

and yes i did make a mistake it is 400hp
sorry again
Old 02-02-06, 11:18   #53
ished
Player

Car: GT-R R32, auto 88 Blue, spare 87 S2 VLCET's all runnin anti ping system's :P
Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via Yahoo to ished
hilarious....
Old 01-04-06, 14:06   #54
Stewart10
Player

Car: VL SL and VL Berlina!!!!
Trader Rating: (1)
that was a very very good post WHUMPSH! I think that with the rb26, out to 2.8 L with a few bolt on mods such as exhaust, a good air intake system setup so it gets some nice cold air, you will be going very very fast indeed
Stewart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-06, 16:45   #55
V-Spec
Player

Car: R31
Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via MSN to V-Spec
i got the other end of the scale, rb30e +t
9:1 CR, i can drive everywhere off boost and its great
get good ecomony if i drive like a granny
i end up flooring it alot though
Old 10-05-06, 21:21   #56
SHYPSI
Player

Car: vl calais
i was looking on the net about a year ago and over in jap land they had a R32 skyline with a rb20det motor in it making over 1000BHP. i will try to look it up again. i think rb20det is just as good as the rb30et u just have to put more money in to the rb20 to get the power.
SHYPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-06, 21:05   #57
I want 1
Player

Car: Devil Yellow VLT 5spd
Just a quick question for anyone who has a RB20 in their VL...... Wats the better turbo for this motor on stock set up with a cooler? Standard rb20 turbo or a rb25 turbo? And is there much difference between the two?
I want 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-06, 11:36   #58
browny
Player

Car:
RB25 turbo is a pretty popular budget upgrade for RB20. AFAIK pretty much bolt on, maybe a bit of fiddling with oil/water lines (however make sure you get the compressor outlet elbow with the turbo because they aren't interchangeable between 20/25).

Like the RB20 turbo it's limited by the ceramic turbine wheel which are prone to fail at too much boost or sustained high temps (eg I've heard of them being killed after flogging around a track at so called 'safe' boost levels).

It's been a while since I've look at this but but power wise I think people were getting around the 180-190rwkW from the 25 turbos. Could probably get more out of it but it might become a time bomb.
browny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-06, 00:16   #59
I want 1
Player

Ask a simple question get a straight answer, too easy. Cheers browny, appreciate your help.
Old 08-07-06, 20:37   #60
Nade
Player

Car: VL 2.0ltr Berlina
im in NZ

I got an RB20 with a five speed.....4:11 diff.....revs hard and isn't slow off the mark either....don't have many turboed VL's in NZ.....but then I also have an RB30e in another VL thats begging for a turbo
Nade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-06, 15:43   #61
shaun
Player

Car: 94 Nissan Skyline GTR and 98 R34 GTT 4 door
hey guy's iv got a vl calais wiv an rb20det iv just swapped diff ratios from 3.45:1 to 3.89:1 it was a pig b4 wiv da heavy dutiy clutch and used heaps of fuel but wiv tha new ratio it gose heaps better uses less fuel and goes heaps harder i think tha rb20det is a good cheap reliable motor 4 a vl and it beats me mates r32 no worries
shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-06, 16:32   #62
r31defect
Player

Car:
no, the vl's that went to newzealad had rb20e's in them, poo motors
r31defect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 14:05   #63
ovadose
Player

Car: 94 cruiser tray back, 013 FJCRUISER
curious on how much 4.11s fitted is worth i was quoted 500 with a spool if i bring the crown pinion to the bloke and another mate offerd to sell me a turbo diff with mini spool and 411's for a 1000 dollars plus i keep my old diff?

cheers dan
Old 09-12-06, 18:20   #64
TASHVL
Player

Car: 1979 HZ One Tonner 304ci EFI V8
Send a message via MSN to TASHVL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHUMPSH
OK i have read all the posts and i agree the views of some people are some what DISTORTED. everyone has there own ideas and view on the subject but it all come down to personal experience or mechanical experience.

Japan has been doing it better for ages
In japan in 1989 there was a race series like our clipsal 500 or grand prix where a bunch of turbos were raced and then they released the r32 gtr (godzilla) and it (that type of car) won 17 out of 18 races the it was raced in and because of this the japs abolished the series. The japs also provided all you's with what you call a turbo through there designing and engineering.
you look at them and say that they ar still making inline sixes and the fact of the matter is that an inline six is still making the passes down the qtr mile (in the turbo class) that are top of their class. even in the new r34 they put an inline six in it.

Now we will start with the rb26DETT.
A.K.A. GODZILLA MOTOR
The rb26 is a 2.6 litre motor that has a twin cam head ( now those few words - twin cam is like getting 50% extra free on you 1 litre milk). twin cam heads flow more than singles so much more that when it comes down to it your going to have more middle range power rather than 2500-3000rpm to 5000-5500rpm on manual vlt.when i say more middle range power i mean between 4000 and 8000 rpm. The rb26 can also be bored out to 2.8 litre (almost a 3.0 litre). it offers 2 turbos of one rather large one (T88D).
Japan's transport authority\or standards commisson(what ever our aust standards is to them) is also like ours where they put down a limit to how much power cars can come out with from factory. This is the case so much that with just a few minior mods to the rb26 engine you can come up with comsiderable gains of upto 50rwkw (using an exaust and removing boost valve stopper and tuning ecu). and the engine does not have very many limits i have heard of high power gtr's all the time

now for the rb25det
2.5litre twin cam ( <- there it is again) single turbo
the rb25 offers an extra half a litre over it younger brother (rb20).
it was made for the r33 skyline and has a small amount extra of power but not that much. A rb25 stock motor will not handle as much power as a rb20. These engines have also been detuned to meet regulations.
but at the end of the day if you put a rb25 and a rb20 side by side and spent $3000 - $4000 on them the rb25 would onlu give you a max of 50 extra rwkw.

the rb20det
2.0litre twin cam (<- there it is again, the japs must be on to something) single turbo
the rb20 is a almost bullet proof engine allowing the internals to cope with upto 400kw of raw power through bolt on parts before the internals have to be changed or modified. They are also detuned and waiting for an exhaust to be bolted on.and from experience of being beaten in my vlct rb20 conversions are good if there done right and the engine has the right bolt ons

In posting this i hope it helps in resolving some issues
Basically what u said there is the Japs designed the turbo. **** off mate the Europeans have had them
years
b4 the japs could get their hands on it and do what they do best...........COPY, MODIFY, then say it was THEIRS!!!!
TASHVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-07, 13:34   #65
fatmat
Player

Car: VN
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLRB20DET
the rb20 is good it kills a sr20 anyday
What an !d!ot...... The rb20 is a 6 and the sr20 is a 4, duh......
Of course it would it has 2 more cylinders.

Last edited by fatmat; 02-01-07 at 13:39.
fatmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-07, 16:12   #66
slimvl
Player

Car:
mate they are both 2 L. and depending on the engine make more power than a rb20 get of the hash
Old 02-01-07, 19:00   #67
fatmat
Player

Car: VN
Quote:
mate they are both 2 L. and depending on the engine make more power than a rb20 get of the hash
Yeah mate, nice one. Would have been good to be able to understand that but anyway, yes their both 2ltr. So what? As for the hash, stop whining like a little b!tch cause your jealous!!!!!! HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe if you save up enough you can have some too
Old 24-02-07, 18:07   #68
Unseen
Player

Car: Morpheus SSV 465rwhp 720nm
Trader Rating: (2)
hey guys a mate of mine has put $25k into his vl wich has a worked rb20 and is running 13.8's on 1 bar a stock rb25det with cooler and 1 bar will run the same if u can drive

oh and id have an sr20 over an rb20 anyday

Last edited by Unseen; 24-02-07 at 18:08. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 17:47   #69
Cubes
Player

Car:
A street driven turbo'd car is better off with less big puffs than lots of little puffs.

The RB20 is a good motor if you throw the money at its head and bottom end so you can use its top end rev potential.

SR20 or rb20 for the street. Give me the fragile sr20 anyday. BUT........ I can't put up with the poxy 4 banger sound so I'll stick to the 3ltr. :P

Rb25det's have no issues running slightly over 300rwkw. Rb20DET's running 300rwkw.. I can't say I've heard of one here in AUS with stock internals. They all seem to pop around 250-280rwkw.

Last edited by Cubes; 04-03-07 at 17:54.
Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 15:39   #70
mulkers
Official Member

Car: VE SS Sportwagon, VL Berlina Turbo, VL 5.0 Berlina, Slocus work hack
the Rb20det is a grossly underated motor.
It was Nissan's premiere motor until the rb26dett.
The HR31 GTSR had a nics (inferior) version of the Rb20det (also known as the red top)

These put out a factory 480bhp with the original turbo etc.
The RB20's are the toughest of the rb's, having the strongest rods, shortest stroke, and very many design cues of the rb26. (interchangeable valves/springs, cam gears, heads, injector design etc.)

I can get a complete low km turbo motor for $700, (and i have one lying in the shed) so why would i bother spending three times as much to convert a tired rb30?

There are other factors to consider too; reliabilty. My r32 has proven time and time again that dfi stomps all over hei distributor systems. VL's tend to have temperamental crank angle sensors, and other ignition problems.

I also get over 600kms to a 56l tank. a boosted Rb30 has no chance of competing in these two stakes.

on a low budget, i believe that the twin cam route is a very wise option.

And with the 4.34 ratio (same as import skylines) it would be quite faster than a stock vl turbo.

Vl's weigh; 1294kg (turbo SL) and an r32 weighs 1260kg (series 1 coupe), 1290 (series 1 sedan, series 2 coupe) or 1320kg (series 2 sedan).

If 4kg's gave such a significant power/weight advantage, i'd be stripping my car of everything.

Silvertop Rb20dets have 160 flywheel kw standard, vlt's are 150kw.

Yes the Vl has more torque, but torque isnt everything (if you think it is, get a turbo diesel or a bb V8)

In a race, revs, torque spread and power range/bands, gear ratio's etc are all important. My stock r32 was faster than a mates stock vlt. and with a $1000 budget, my VL is going to be the fastest legit vl in town.

Last edited by mulkers; 03-04-07 at 15:56.
mulkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 20:27   #71
Cubes
Player

Car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulkers
The RB20's are the toughest of the rb's, having the strongest rods, shortest stroke, and very many design cues of the rb26. (interchangeable valves/springs, cam gears, heads, injector design etc.)
RB26 rods and block are stronger.
RB26 Valve springs are longer but they can be used in the 20.
Head is completely different, the rb20t head runs small baby valves, they are not interchangable; the rb20det's ports are also very small.

Quote:
I can get a complete low km turbo motor for $700, (and i have one lying in the shed) so why would i bother spending three times as much to convert a tired rb30?
Because peak power isn't everything. Average power is, unless your running a big high stall and setting it up for drag.

Quote:
I also get over 600kms to a 56l tank. a boosted Rb30 has no chance of competing in these two stakes.
Well your doing better than nissan state the car gets. From factory they are rated to 10.5L/100km's. My Rb20DET did 10.6L/100km's and had done so for 4years before I pulled it out to drop the rb30det in. The RB30DET gets 11L/100km's. And yes its 'boosted'.

Quote:
And with the 4.34 ratio (same as import skylines) it would be quite faster than a stock vl turbo.
Quote:
Silvertop Rb20dets have 160 flywheel kw standard, vlt's are 150kw.

Yes the Vl has more torque, but torque isnt everything (if you think it is, get a turbo diesel or a bb V8)
yes thats right.. BUT.. Average power is everything for a streeter.

Quote:
In a race, revs, torque spread and power range/bands, gear ratio's etc are all important. My stock r32 was faster than a mates stock vlt. and with a $1000 budget, my VL is going to be the fastest legit vl in town.
My mates VLT made 187rwkw on 13-14psi, 2.5" exhaust, no cat, stock ecu, stock airbox. Mine made 164rwkw on 15psi, 3" exhaust, cat, stock ecu, stock airbox. Mod for mod.. The VLT whoops the R32's arse, especially up and rolling.

Stock vs stock.. yes the r32 does have it over the vlt but not by much. Factory times 14.9 for the R32, 15.1 for the VLT.
Old 22-04-07, 23:53   #72
I want 1
Player

To any of the guys running rb20's with front mounts in thier vls... Wats the general opinion on the best front mount size? Also to improve the drivability best diff ratio? 3.9 or 4.11
Old 22-04-07, 23:57   #73
Cubes
Player

Car:
Lower the better for the rb20.

Nissan have always released their rb20's with 4.3+ ratio's
some 4.4's and i believe a 4.6.

4.11 minimum, go any longer and they feel lagier and less responsive.
Old 09-05-07, 13:41   #74
dizzii
Player

Car: VT SS Gen 3/Mazda Astina SP
Trader Rating: (2)
doin a bit of research on rb20det's in to vl's, seems like the rb20det engine is and isn't a favoured conversion in2 a vl, looks like a lot of mixed opinionsand outcomes, im lookin at a nice easy turbo conversion that isnt gonna blow the budget,but at the same have a vl i can have a bit of fun in, im not lookin for a big laggy horse power machine at the moment just want some mild turbo power 200-250 hp and eventually improve on it, this might be a starting point for my project vl for further improvement later (when i have more cash)..any extra input on this would be good

Last edited by dizzii; 09-05-07 at 13:50. Reason: more input
dizzii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-07, 13:52   #75
Cubes
Player

Car:
VLT exh. manifold, vlt turbo, dump pipe, thicker headgasket, cheap fmic, vlt ecu or aftermarket.

Unless the motors stuffed thats the way I'd go.