sampo
CARBY FED!! :D

Car: VL 5L
Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via MSN to sampo
My RB30'd VS Commodore

My VS Commodore

Have to start out by thanking NUKZ for the layout

Picked up the car from NSW around October ’08 was an ex detectives car used in the NSW police squad. Optioned Dual airbags, Cruise Control, ABS, etc. Engine had been replaced at some time (sold on the intake plemum kinda gave that way) and came to me as the V6 Ecotec with a auto behind her. After a couple of crashes as detailed later, and my rego expiring the V6 was soon pulled out and replaced with the RB30 from my previous VL.

ENGINE:
- RB30 conversion
- VLT injectors
- N/A ecu
- FMIC (in progress of making piping)
- Standard t3 turbo
- Custom clutch master (genuine is $420 so **** that)
- Fresh rebuilt MF5 5 speed
- HD Clutch
- Tailshaft vl front peice vs tail peice

INTERIOR:

- Standard, bar a few gauges

EXTERIOR:
- Originally dark green in colour when i first picked her up from NSW, a few short weeks later with a mate driving the car was involved in a crash where the victim was a barb wire fence.

- Paint work was destroyed to the entire front end of the car, heads were slapped and we moved on.

- Damage was repaired using replacement pannels sourced from a local wreaker, unfortunantly it can be difficault to judge colour sometimes and i ended up with a car half bluely green and the rest dark green.

- Exactly one week after the first crash we were traveling home from dunkeld when i pulled over to swap drivers. Driver B takes off, slides accross to the other side of the road sideways, complete 180 degree change of direction and we pull up less than a meter from the trunk of the tree we were only 10m away when we took off.... ****HEAD!

- Luckily for me it was enough to lightly scrach up the new bumper and bonnet, but not much else.

UPCOMING MODS:
- Boost Controller
- VX SS Seats
- VS Statesman Door Cards
- VS Statesman Dash

Planning to write up the conversion process shortly. Was a peice of piss really as far as engine conversions go.

Looking forward to seeing what people think, and ofcourse anything i can do to improve on where i am!

Last edited by sampo; 16-03-09 at 22:09.
sampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-09, 22:12   #2
PROGMH

Car:
Trader Rating: (26)
Interesting conversion. Engineering it?
PROGMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-09, 22:14   #3
Tomo
Player

Car: vl berlina turbo, vx ss
Trader Rating: (15)
kick ass idea, should be completely legal, if you keep it standard
Tomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-09, 22:25   #4
slepar
kikin it new school :)

Car: vn ss-[SK8NVN], vt ss (sold), vp calais 5ltr, vq stato 5ltr, vs berlina 5ltr, vr stato 5ltr, wh stato s/c v6, vt ss ls1, ve calais 6.0, ve ssv ute m6
Trader Rating: (24)
lol legal? i doubt it, its an older engine will definintaly need an engineers cert, still preety cool and different though

my advice to you is to put the ecotec motor back in lol
slepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-09, 22:26   #5
VLWAGONIT
Gold Members

Car: Vlc wagon, 08 Husqvarna TE510, 89 GSXR 1100
Trader Rating: (20)
Send a message via MSN to VLWAGONIT
heaps of ppl have talked about doing this conversion but this is the first one i have seen. looks like fun
Old 16-03-09, 22:54   #6
PSI-EFI
Official Member

Car: hj coupe 5litre, vp exec 6 (write off), vx s pac
Trader Rating: (0)
very unique.. i like it.. one thing i wanna know is, how much harder does it go with a fairly stock rb30et compared to the ecotec?
PSI-EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-09, 23:11   #7
Chemical
Official Member

Car:
Trader Rating: (13)
Send a message via MSN to Chemical
out of curiosity why didnt you just turbo the ecotec already in it? with all the readily available kits i thought it would have been the go
Chemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-09, 05:57   #8
180OZT
Player

Car:
how easy does it fit ??
been thinkin about doin this to my stato ? as i have a 600hp rb30 engine an keas box
Old 17-03-09, 11:00   #9
obsesv
Gold Members

Car: yes
Trader Rating: (5)
thats awesome! that thing would be insane with a hi flow T3 and a 200rwkw setup with an mx7, mmmm! how much extra weight does the VS have over a VL?
obsesv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-09, 14:44   #10
airbagsVL
Player

Car: vl turbo
Trader Rating: (1)
not much, executive vl = 1280kg and executive vs about 1385kg.

ecotec v6 = 147kw and 307nm torque.

rb30et = 150kw and 296nm torque.

performance would be very similar from the 2 engines, but the rb30 has way more room for improvement!

nice conversion.
airbagsVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-09, 15:02   #11
Tomo
Player

Car: vl berlina turbo, vx ss
Trader Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slepar
lol legal? i doubt it, its an older engine will definintaly need an engineers cert, still preety cool and different though

my advice to you is to put the ecotec motor back in lol
with vn its legal, id imagine vs is the same there no cutting/welding etc because everything bolts in, also the rb30et and v6 had to comply to the same emisions regulations and they are also with in 10% power difference, look it up
as for turbo v6 its a pain in the ass and costs a monster to do right, rb30et costs **** all
Tomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-09, 21:59   #12
sampo

PROGMH: Yes plans are to have the car engineered, Nothing had to be cut or welded so this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

PSI-EFI: Im quite interested to know myself haha still havn't driven her yet, Just small things now like turbo drain fittings, clutch master cylinder etc holding me back now.

Chemical: Mainly because it was the cheapest option I already had most of the gear I needed, and had spent quite a bit of money getting the driveline right in my old vl to simply put it to waste.

180OZT: Very easy conversion, vl k frame is used, Control arms from the vs are bolted to the vl k frame so you retain all the original shocks, brakes, etc. Steering rack from the vs bolts straight into the vl k frame, and the power steering lines from the vl screw straight into this. Gearbox mounts all bolt up, You CAN NOT use the manual peddle box from the vl nor the clutch master cylinder if you're going manual like I did. Use the front piece of the tailshaft from the vs and the rear half from the vl to make your tailshaft (havnt road tested yet hoping it will not be too much out of balance) Use a vl radiator to make life easy, I used the one from the vs as my old one was shagged its a mess.
In the middle of a write up of the conversion process, will include more detail, wiring diagrams and of course some photos lol

Twitch: Cheers its a hobby.

Tomo: Cheers, and you're right, plus nissan used the rb30 up till late 1996 in the GQ Patrol. Was carby and non turbo though.

And to anyone I havnt mentioned above, thank you for your input!

Cheers, Matt

Last edited by sampo; 17-03-09 at 22:02.
Old 17-03-09, 22:09   #13
CHEETR
BANNED

Car: SMC feature car.VT LS1 6speed on 22z in the build,daily VX berlina LS1 Gas research slapped on 20"sigs
Trader Rating: (6)
rb30 in a vs cannot be engineered nor is it legal.

placing a older motor with higher emmisions into a vehicle thats newer cannot be engineered.

sometimes they will pass if you can prove the engine uses less emisions than the motor that came out, but very hard to do that, and i guarantee impossible going to a rb30
CHEETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-09, 20:29   #14
PROGMH

Car:
Trader Rating: (26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEETR
rb30 in a vs cannot be engineered nor is it legal.

placing a older motor with higher emmisions into a vehicle thats newer cannot be engineered.

sometimes they will pass if you can prove the engine uses less emisions than the motor that came out, but very hard to do that, and i guarantee impossible going to a rb30
Prove it

Its legal. There's a VP around with an engineered RB30ET.

I was under the same presumption (it used to be the law) but now its fine. You dont even need an engineers cert to put a totally different engine into a car as long as emissions, power and capacity are similar!
Lots of little loop holes

Dont believe me, check the vicroads site.
PROGMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-09, 20:45   #15
180OZT
Player

Car:
chhr bud very interestin,
i'm very keen to try it in stato
Old 18-03-09, 20:51   #16
Paranoid
Player

Car: Yellow BT1 - PICNIC - SOHC - No Tubs - No Turbo - 8sec Pass (1/8th Mile)
Trader Rating: (2)
hey mate just get your whole tailshaft balance as one unit..

good job!
Paranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-09, 00:11   #17
airbagsVL
Player

Car: vl turbo
if the emmissions, power and capacity is similar then you dont need an engineers cert. unless you have to cut metal etc. And the rb30 was last built in 96' so its totally legal!
airbagsVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 22:35   #18
sampo

Had my first drive today, picked up on lots of problems, abs not working, airbags not working, one indicator not working, one high beam not working, radio not working....

So electrically a long way to go!

Still need a way to make the clutch work!! throw me your ideas!

Cheers, Matt
Old 02-04-09, 23:46   #19
VLWAGONIT
Gold Members

Car: Vlc wagon, 08 Husqvarna TE510, 89 GSXR 1100
Trader Rating: (20)
Send a message via MSN to VLWAGONIT
if your still using a hydrolic clutch get a master cylinder from a vs 5spd ( with the ecotec and getrag box) and use the vl slave cylinder.

not 100% sure if it will work tho.

iv got a vs master and slave cylinder and pedal box if anyone is interested.....

also there is an adaptor plate that goes between the master cylinder and the fire wall

Last edited by VLWAGONIT; 27-07-09 at 00:49. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
VLWAGONIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 06:46   #20
CRZPST
Player

Car: vs stato kitted wagon
Send a message via MSN to CRZPST
how hard was it to wire up
Old 03-04-09, 09:09   #21
misk
what 2jz?

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to misk
hmm so brett this is what i had assumed all along, which is why im hoping vicroads might be ok with me using the 2jzge in the VH if i take it to them with no turbo on the side and on LPG anyway...
no cutting, no hectic turbo and smaller engine, should be ok..

lets see how this VS fairs first lol
misk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 09:26   #22
vp_luke
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (6)
Quote:
Still need a way to make the clutch work!! throw me your ideas!
I put a hydraulic clutch setup to run an r33 box in my VN.

I couldn't find a Hydraulic setup from a VS anywhere (and they were too expensive when i did!) - so I cut a VN auto pedal box, and a VL manual pedal box in two.

I then welded the VL clutch pedal part onto the VN auto pedal box (and cut down the big brake pedal to be normal brake pedal size) - while keeping the bit that bolts to the firewall standard VN.

The result was a pedal box ready for hydraulic master cylinder that fitted snugly into the VN!

Next part was the hydraulic master cylinder - I was limited by space behind the brake booster, so I went to the wreckers and found that a clutch mastery cylinder from a Daewoo.. Lanos? I think it was? fit perfectly. It has a remote reservoir so gives you plenty of room to work with.

Having said all that - it would probably just be a heap easier to source a VS s2 hydraulic setup

And as for legalities - I 100% legally registered (and RWC'd) my VN with a RB30E motor in there.

So long as the original and donor motors meet the same emissions ADR (ADR37/00 in the case of VN and VL/R31), you can interchange them freely.

The catch is that the motor must be of similar power, capacity and design. Otherwise you get into issues with requiring an engineers certificate.

so for e.g. if the donor motor is within 10%? power, similar capacity, both 6 cylinders, and no 'alterations/modifications' are required to be made to the subframe of the receiving vehicle to fit it... then you can rock up at vicroads and register it completely legally! (they just made me sign a piece of paper that said that I made no alterations/modifications to the subframe to fit the RB!)

Mind you - all of that crap realllly goes out the window as soon as you slap a dirty big turbo on the side of the motor - legal in the first place or not, you're still going to the EPA when you get pulled up!

So just make sure you have a contingency plan when that happens - i.e. a stock motor on standby.
vp_luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 09:57   #23
misk
what 2jz?

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to misk
hm the 2jzge puts out 160kw, the 202 that came stock in my VH puts out 86kw, think i might be screwed there! haha
misk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-09, 00:16   #24
sampo

test drove it before, have to say im not too impressed with the performance, 2nd gear roll on was pretty uninspiring, and well i think it would seriously be in some trouble if it lined up an n/a sl at the lights lol.

EDIT:. Was running on 4-5 cylinders - went hard with new plugs

getting booked in for a tune this week to make sure its ok to drive around town for a bit then a performance tune once its rego'd

Boost is standard atm, 3.08 diff gears - prob why its sooo slow lol
And lag is a bitch!

Should i go a set of 3.55's or something more like 4.11's?

Last edited by sampo; 22-07-09 at 18:13.
Old 22-04-09, 00:37   #25
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Trader Rating: (22)
3.7s, nice all round gear. Advantage of the VS is that you have the full range of BW78 gears to choose from.

MF5 gearbox also has lower ratios than the MX7.

It is a heavier car. Definately get it tuned, maybe also try a turbo ECU?
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote