Oz Drive - Driver Education

Old 11-08-09, 00:09   #51
obsesv
Gold Members

Car: yes
Trader Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub247
no problems with firewall remember the vn was design and tested around vl running gear. The first vn test mule had an rb30 and vn might have had rb30 if it wasnt for a bad aussie dollar. Anywya vb-vs are all basically the same chassis with different bodies and minor changes along the way

only difference in chassis between vl and vn is the k frame.
obsesv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 00:43   #52
RB30DEVL
Player

Car: VY SS Commodore
Trader Rating: (0)
re - emissions

Quote:
Mind you - all of that crap realllly goes out the window as soon as you slap a dirty big turbo on the side of the motor - legal in the first place or not, you're still going to the EPA when you get pulled up!

So just make sure you have a contingency plan when that happens - i.e. a stock motor on standby.
There's a performance place near Newcastle (I won't mention their name) who does that mainly with rotaries , they know that the engine won't pass emissions with a turbo bolted to it so they tune & run the engine as an N/A , certify it then bolt the turbo to the engine then retune it , so it "technically" passes the emissions test.

Just another loophole in the law , it's a bit like how they say aftermarket ECU's are illegal and don't comply with ADR's because they can be altered , Steven Davies who was on Performance Forums fitted an RB30DE into his Zed a few years back which ran a Delco ECU which was reprogrammable, he said the ECU only had to "look like" it came out of that car and was able to be engineered.

It's probably why I saw an article a while back where they had a VLT with the aftermarket ECU tucked underneath the passenger seat, but the standard unit was still controlling only the idle speed & fuel pump , it was to keep the car looking standard.

I got around it in the VL because they came factory fitted with an RB30, even though I run an RB25 ECU , pistons , head & camshafts in that block.
RB30DEVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 10:20   #53
vl driftz
Player

Car: VR Turbo, Range Rover, VS Bt1
pretty interesting conversion there
as for it being heavier (correct me if im wrong),
the vs weighs 1350kg
a vl calais weighs 1350kg
Old 02-09-09, 12:04   #54
Stivva
Player

Car: VS Calais II RB25DET
Send a message via MSN to Stivva
Cool conversion mate. I have put a 25 into my VS, I am racing to finish now I hope.
Stivva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 22:22   #55
Stivva
Player

Car: VS Calais II RB25DET
Send a message via MSN to Stivva
I am not sure how different the 25 looms ect are to the 30, but I have isolated the speedo wire and am going to try tap that into the dash speedo input wire and see what happens. I guess if I get a signal I will be happy and go for a recalibration. But my GPS unit has a speedo in it.....
Stivva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-10, 18:43   #56
pac_23
Player

Car: VR RB30ET
Trader Rating: (4)
Digging up an old thread but I have put an RB30et in my vr. I am hoping to get it engineered with me modifications. I haven't got the speedo to work yet ad I have found that the r33 speedo drive is an ac signal and the vr cluster needs a dc signal but even fitting a rectifier I couldn't get it going. Anyone else have any luck?
pac_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-15, 13:37   #57
sampo
CARBY FED!! :D

Car: VL 5L
Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via MSN to sampo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pac_23 View Post
Digging up an old thread but I have put an RB30et in my vr. I am hoping to get it engineered with me modifications. I haven't got the speedo to work yet ad I have found that the r33 speedo drive is an ac signal and the vr cluster needs a dc signal but even fitting a rectifier I couldn't get it going. Anyone else have any luck?
I've done it again since, this time rb25/30 into a vs ute. Stock diff gears are way too tall although the engine develops enough torque to pull well below 2000rpm with the 3.08 gears and the r33 5 speed you're sitting on 75km/h 3500rpm in 2nd.

Havn't had any luck with the speedo yet, i personally use an old iphone 3 with a gps app loaded on. Please send me a pm if you work it out.

---------- Post added 04-06-15 at 13:38 ----------

If anyone wants information on the conversion nows the time to ask while its still fresh in my head.
sampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 14:20   #58
SQU33C
Player

Car: VL CALAIS A9Y
any updates ???
Old 10-03-17, 08:20   #59
Morgz
Morgzano Racing

Car: VS exec forged LS3 + S482
Trader Rating: (27)
Send a message via MSN to Morgz
Can't you run the speedo via the ABS sensors as inputs?

I'll probably do something similar in my VS, as the glide doesn't have a speedo output.