User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Regional Events > South Australia
JD CUSTOM

Old 16-12-12, 19:25   #51
vlct2010
Player

Car: HDT LE replica Vlct 5 spd, 01 lancer glxi 5spd
Trader Rating: (1)
wow thats alot of coin for brakes but i guess u goota b able to stop if u wanna go fast lol

so do u av a price on just the disks calipers and hoses??
Old 16-12-12, 20:19   #52
BT
398@25psi E85

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to BT
no offence mate but u could of just bought the brakes off ebay for under 2k then had them painted yourself and u can buy the dba 5000 discs for 800-1000 for the pair , and hub adapters are 250 new , and had 3-4k still in your pocket ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLCT88 View Post
Its not running yet ya magic poof gimme a month or so!
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-12, 14:29   #53
hdtf-18
Player

Car: vl rb30t 270kw + fg xr6 ute 360rwkw
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
coming along nicely... why 4.11's in the diff though? highest I reckon you would want for your setup is 3.9's.
it came out of an r31 with same setup and at 70km/h he would be in 6th and only doing 1700rpm. this is done by cutting boost in 5th and 6th gear to 50% as first four gears are all thats needed down quarter so that way 5th and 6th can be used as overdrive so can still be ok on street. thats how shaun at boostworx explained it to me

---------- Post added 17-12-12 at 15:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT View Post
no offence mate but u could of just bought the brakes off ebay for under 2k then had them painted yourself and u can buy the dba 5000 discs for 800-1000 for the pair , and hub adapters are 250 new , and had 3-4k still in your pocket ...
Harrop 6 and 4 piston brakes or any other brand of 6 and 4 piston callipers painted in house of kolour paint for 2k? send me a link on ebay of unpainted 6 and 4 calipers that are same quality as harrop for 2k. be interested in seeing what i couldve bought. isnt that like pointing out that there are cheap 300 big top mount turbo's on ebay for a few hundred bucks and that buying a garrett is then a waste of money?! I'm wanting to get the car engineered and use it as a show car so going the xtra length and cost of getting good quality parts is important
hdtf-18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-12, 14:56   #54
MrSquigle
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (28)
sweet brakes... will look sexual filling some big rims. No way you can buy them on ebay.. lol
Old 17-12-12, 18:59   #55
VLCT88
player

Car: VLII Calais Turbo, BKII Mazda 3 MPS
Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via MSN to VLCT88
I would say BT was talking about the HSV Harrop 4 pot brakes all round... which are plenty big enough for a VL. I will be interested to see how the 4.11s go mate, I think you will run out of puff and will change to 3.9s before too long
VLCT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-12, 19:22   #56
Jet R31
10.21@140.89

Car: r31 skyline lego block
Trader Rating: (7)
**** me it looks hot with the 19's
cheers
darren
Jet R31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-12, 20:03   #57
TUXEDO
Locky

Car: VSII Statesman, VL Berlina turbo
Trader Rating: (18)
I think the 4.11:1's will be fine with a 6 speed. I owned an R33 GTS25t and that was 5 speed with 4.11:1's didn't have any issues with that.

$7k is a lot of money for brake calipers and rotors :O
TUXEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-12, 21:24   #58
-pumba-
[JETLAG]

Car: Silverslate VLC+T/06 CBR1000RR/02 VY SV8
Trader Rating: (28)
thats right i think people are forgetting its getting a 6 speed. is alot of money for brakes more than most would think of spending but good on ya. is gonna be one bad ass car when its finished : )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab dH View Post
as in leave it on a shelf? not very constructive..
-pumba- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-12, 15:58   #59
hdtf-18
Player

This is the ad from the guy i bought them from :Front: 6 Piston caliper with 381mm 2-peice Disc
Rear: 4 Piston caliper with 356mm 2 peice Disc

Calipers are HPC Coated and then were painted olkl.lp
e with House of Kolor Cinder red base. ( Painted by 2 DIE 4 Bodyworks)

Discs were ordered with 67 cross vane(slots, optional extra)

Vt hubs, handbrake bracket, pads, bolts and adapters also included(all purchased thru Harrop at time of purchase)

Some may say it's way too much to pay for brakes but thats the whole thing with modifying a car. You do what you think is going to perform and look good not what everyone else thinks is cool. metallic blue blue paint with the polished fr19's that are going to be filled with brake rotor and metallic wine coloured red to what i want and like will pull the car up unbelievably and also look great even when its stopped at the lights or in a car show. Each to their own though i guess, they are at toll now and picking them up tomoro. Engine bay should be finished getting all holes filled up and sprayed by end of the week and car back at boostworx to have engine, gearbox and brakes put in and eventually the diff anc some billet axles
Old 19-12-12, 16:30   #60
3lturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtf-18 View Post
This is the ad from the guy i bought them from :Front: 6 Piston caliper with 381mm 2-peice Disc
Rear: 4 Piston caliper with 356mm 2 peice Disc

Calipers are HPC Coated and then were painted olkl.lp
e with House of Kolor Cinder red base. ( Painted by 2 DIE 4 Bodyworks)

Discs were ordered with 67 cross vane(slots, optional extra)

Vt hubs, handbrake bracket, pads, bolts and adapters also included(all purchased thru Harrop at time of purchase)

Some may say it's way too much to pay for brakes but thats the whole thing with modifying a car. You do what you think is going to perform and look good not what everyone else thinks is cool. metallic blue blue paint with the polished fr19's that are going to be filled with brake rotor and metallic wine coloured red to what i want and like will pull the car up unbelievably and also look great even when its stopped at the lights or in a car show. Each to their own though i guess, they are at toll now and picking them up tomoro. Engine bay should be finished getting all holes filled up and sprayed by end of the week and car back at boostworx to have engine, gearbox and brakes put in and eventually the diff anc some billet axles

You wont regret paying for their Ultimate kit-they're awesome, and worth every dollar. Like you said, it's the price you pay for getting the best.
3lturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-12, 19:42   #61
VLCT88
player

Ive just got the 4 pot all round 343 front and 315 rear off a VX GTS and they appear to pull the VL up really well so these will be insane. I did hear a story that someone put massive brakes on their car and actually failed the brake test for it stopping too quickly, like I said I heard it on the grape vine, so may be a load of sh!t but apparently if it pulls up too quickly its dangerous for other motorist because they can't pull up anywhere near as quick and will run into the back of you
Old 19-12-12, 20:37   #62
MADVLT1
Player

Car: VE SV6 UTE, VL Calais Turbo 3.4L
4.11s will be fine with a 6 speed. I have them in my vl with a 5 speed and i like it. I get 230 kph in 4th at 7400rpm. the only problem is the lack of traction in 1st and 2nd but that might be due to the right foot. As for the brakes you will love them. I have 365mm 6 piston ap racing brakes on mine and they are really good. Your rotors are the next size up so they will work well. Enjoy dude.
MADVLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-12, 20:49   #63
BT
398@25psi E85

hdtf-18 i think u did take offence ...?

Quote:
I would say BT was talking about the HSV Harrop 4 pot brakes all round... which are plenty big enough for a VL. I will be interested to see how the 4.11s go mate, I think you will run out of puff and will change to 3.9s before too long
and u could saved money ...

thats what i was pritty much saying i wasnt having a dig mate ..
Quote:
Old 19-12-12, 23:49   #64
hdtf-18
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT View Post
hdtf-18 i think u did take offence ...?

and u could saved money ...

thats what i was pritty much saying i wasnt having a dig mate ..
apologies if it came accross in a different way to what i meant it to.I had searched ebay over and over and all different brake manufacturers sites to see what was out there. When doing so all i really found to be cheaper were brands with no real credible history. Harrop have been around for years and many people swear by them, yeah I couldve got some 4 pots all round and they wouldve been more than adequate but like i also said i'm wanting this one day to be a show car so the 381mm rotors and house of kolor painted callipers will hopefully look sexy as well as pulling it up amazingly well. Yeah the brakes are overkill for the road but who here thT has a vlt with over 200rwkw isnt guilty of that when the speed limits are 40/50/60. flicking through street commodores and every car has the insane engine, nice paint and rims but barely any have brakes that are a feature of the car and that to me shows an opening in the show car arena where it will guarantee some extra points over others. If i was only building the car for performance then yeah i could've and probably wouldve gone the 4 pots all round for sure and you do make a valid point but im just wanting something a bit more eye catching and extreme
Old 20-12-12, 01:28   #65
BT
398@25psi E85

dont get me wrong the brakes are horn ive been waiting for a set of 4 pots to come up cheap for myself but its alot of money for brakes when the twin pot vt brake do the job fine imo but if u are going for that show side of things i can see why u went them good to see u are doing good things with your car , iam to lazy lol ,i dont think my car will ever be ready ...............Nek Minute ..........or finally it might make an appearance at the jaf cruise at the end of the year .
Quote:
Old 20-12-12, 08:47   #66
VLCT88
player

Couldnt agree with you more hdtf-18... far too many people build these high horses cars and overlook the braking and suspension system on the car. Its all well and good to go fast but personally I want to be able to stop when going fast! The VT upgrade is the bare minimum you would want do do for a 250rwkw car, these people that run the standard 1980's VLT brake setup are just plain insane/stupid
Old 20-12-12, 09:33   #67
TUXEDO
Locky

A lot of us want to be able to put 15" wheels on our cars when we want to go to the drags.
Old 20-12-12, 10:06   #68
VLCT88
player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUXEDO View Post
A lot of us want to be able to put 15" wheels on our cars when we want to go to the drags.
You can fit 15's over VT brakes...
Old 20-12-12, 10:19   #69
TUXEDO
Locky

I know.. I've got VLT brakes with DBA slotteds, bendix ultimates, VS booster, VT master. Plenty stopping power for street / strip use.

I've had VT brakes previously on a VL, I wasn't impressed by them. At the end of the day, it's what you want out of your car. I won't be doing any circuit racing or auto salon..

Last edited by TUXEDO; 20-12-12 at 10:41.
Old 20-12-12, 13:00   #70
VLCT88
player

When I said "VT upgrade" I was also referring to the VS/VT Booster/Master... the VL booster and master is definitely the weakest point of the VL braking system...
Old 20-12-12, 14:13   #71
Jet R31
10.21@140.89

Can you get the big brake kits over 17's inch rims?, if so you could always
get the GTO american monaro spec 17 inch spacesavers(not the Aus spec 15's) and buy 17 inch bias ply frontrunners for the drags, its what the supra
guys in the states use as a cheap drag package, they look not to bad either
cheers
darren
Old 07-01-13, 18:24   #72
hdtf-18
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet R31 View Post
Can you get the big brake kits over 17's inch rims?, if so you could always
get the GTO american monaro spec 17 inch spacesavers(not the Aus spec 15's) and buy 17 inch bias ply frontrunners for the drags, its what the supra
guys in the states use as a cheap drag package, they look not to bad either
cheers
darren
dont think so darren on the harrop website it says the 381mm rotors need 19's as min and just looking on a commodores website where a guy with a ve has the 356mm rotors on rear (same as mine) he said there was about 3mm gap between rim and calliper with an 18" rim on. Ive hear people talking on different forums about some 18's coming out with some ok rubber for the strip. Although as stated this car is mainly for show and street i do still want to get it down the 1/4 mile an with a manual box and over 400rwkw I'm going to need some slicks and hopefully there is some solution without having to take brakes on and off
Old 07-01-13, 23:27   #73
Jet R31
10.21@140.89

probally not, drag radials it is..lol, otherwise it might end up in the wall, and its
to nice for that to happen...
cheers
darren
Old 08-01-13, 14:45   #74
hdtf-18
Player

just got a pic sent through a progress pic of the engine bay after being sprayed. havent seen in the flesh yet but think it will contrast the red on the brakes really well and cant wait to see the silver pearl through it
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/1259/img0440bi.jpg
Old 08-01-13, 17:06   #75
xctmnt8
Player

Car: Starship Voyager
Trader Rating: (3)
I think i saw this outside of a crash shop this arvo out North way... I wont say where (just because of the $$$ of parts), but looked mint just cruising past if it was!
xctmnt8 is offline   Reply With Quote