Tyres Now

Old 16-11-06, 00:06   #26
HoldenOn
Roll Cage Territory

Car: 2004 VZ Calais
Trader Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVLISH
hey mate attempted this today, but i encountered a problem. i went to the wrecker and got some ball joints for a vl wagon (already had the wagon struts lying around), and the thread on them is too short to catch on to the bonnet, like it catches on about 2mm or so, and then starts eating into the thread and doesnt catch on. anyone else have this problem?
Im surprised noone else has mentioned a problem like this. I put struts on my previous vl and i didnt notice until my panel shop guy said that the ball joint on the bonnet hinge had come loose, mainly cause there was little thread that actually screwed in. So he took the original bolt from the bonnet hinge and welded the ball joint onto the head of that......simple

Last edited by HoldenOn; 16-11-06 at 00:09.
Old 16-11-06, 10:07   #27
ILLUSIV
CT member since 2000!

Trader Rating: (16)
Send a message via ICQ to ILLUSIV Send a message via MSN to ILLUSIV
I didnt have that prob at all....
1988 VL SS Group A SV Walkinshaw #369 - WALLKY
Old 18-11-06, 20:30   #28
vk1981
Player

Car: vk berlina/ calais
Trader Rating: (0)
it sticks up higher on the boot where i fitted the strut pics comin soon got it in the behand the backseat so it can't be seen

hey mate did my boot install yesterday but i bolted it on the other side of the hinge & in the back of the seat so u can't see it but it dnt keep it all the way up only about an inch or so off, see how it goes if it stuffs up ill redo it later should be ok! next time could u take closer pics of the ball joints with out the small strut fitted as it says will post pics of my install! hav'n trouble with url upload thingy how do i find that out?

Last edited by vk1981; 21-11-06 at 10:02. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 20-11-06, 09:44   #29
ILLUSIV
CT member since 2000!

Trader Rating: (16)
Send a message via ICQ to ILLUSIV Send a message via MSN to ILLUSIV
I've fitted this to a few cars... never had any probs... very very simple to do.

It may be that the strut you got is too big, and isn't compressing fully, pushing the hinge and boot lid up?
1988 VL SS Group A SV Walkinshaw #369 - WALLKY
Old 21-11-06, 10:14   #30
vk1981
Player

Car: vk berlina/ calais
to do it in the parcel shelf frill the hole at the top middle of the hinge near the back beam about quarter the way can always drill it back later as i hav'nt worried as i reckon they warp the boot due to the pressure in the strut & hits up higher or needs to be re-aligned like my front windows! the other hole i drilled about 3 but ended up in line with the strut in the backseat metal frame theres a weld seal drilled just above the top metal parcel tray! stil holds it up might try'n drill te hole out more see if it opens the extra inch or two then it will be fine might sit the boot more level dnt reckon it will thou anybody else noticed it sitting up higher?
Old 28-11-06, 18:07   #31
InsaneVL
So Much Win

Car: Just a Non-Turbo VL...
Trader Rating: (32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVLISH
hey mate attempted this today, but i encountered a problem. i went to the wrecker and got some ball joints for a vl wagon (already had the wagon struts lying around), and the thread on them is too short to catch on to the bonnet, like it catches on about 2mm or so, and then starts eating into the thread and doesnt catch on. anyone else have this problem?

Apparetly theres 2 types of ball joints - one has longer thread than the other and you need the long ones - not the short ones.
Old 30-11-06, 21:13   #32
KALAY
Fear is exciting for me

Car: VL Calais
Trader Rating: (6)
i tried falcon bonnet struts, but they are too short so i gonna find vl wagon ones.....
i got the vs guard ones, i gotta get the ones out of the tailgate yeh? the ones from the chassis or the tailgate? or ill just get both,
Old 17-04-07, 21:08   #33
Off-Tap
Player

Car: 88' VL Exec, 89' VN Exec, On [L]'s
is there a shorter strut for the bonnet so the end of strut only goes like halfway down engine bay?