CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > General, Electrics, Engine Management, Wheels, Bodywork
Tyres Now

Old 22-01-03, 19:12   #26
87VLSL
Player

Car: 5/87 VL Calais Turbo Replica, 11/87 VL Exec, 2/04 VY SS Ute
Trader Rating: (2)
Recieved fan clutch today! Its a Davies Craig fan clutch. Are these any good.?
87VLSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-03, 19:28   #27
87VLSL
Player

Well I put on the new fan clutch yesterday but it made no difference. So I decided to check and flush out the radiator again. To cut a long story short, the top half of the radiator was blocked up and when I touched this part of the core it just broke away (I could stick my finger straight through it! 8O) Anyway Ive bought a new 3 core radiator. The old radiator was only a 2 core so I thought I might as well get the better 3 core one to replace it. Also something new I found out (this may interest you guys as well) The bloke at the radiator place told me that all VL's with air conditioning should have the 3 core radiator. 8)
Old 27-01-03, 10:13   #28
Kylie
Italian Stallion

Car: Holden VL Calais Turbo
Trader Rating: (4)
Radiators

When I bought the VL it had a sticker on the Radiator saying it had a Recore done in 2000, the Air Con has also been Retrofitted to use the new Gas system. Is there any way to tell how many Cores your Radiator has from the outside? :roll:
Old 27-01-03, 19:42   #29
87VLSL
Player

Replaced radiator yesterday and "Problem Solved" I went for a drive and the temp gauge only went to the second mark. Kylie, Its easier to see to see the core with the radiator out. But you may be able to see the radiator core if you get a torch and shine it on the engine fan side of the radiator. You should be able to see within the radiator, horizontal bars running across the radiator. If there are 2 bars its a 2 core if 3 bars then its a 3 core. And The 3 core radiator is wider that the 2 core.
Old 27-01-03, 19:59   #30
87VLSL
Player

How did you go with your coolant temp sensor. Kylie
Old 27-01-03, 20:05   #31
Kylie
Italian Stallion

Coolant Temp Sensor

Sorry I haven't even looked at doing that yet... :roll: I wish that was my biggest problem at the moment. I've really put myself in over my head with this rear end restoration...
Old 27-01-03, 20:34   #32
87VLSL
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie
I've really put myself in over my head with this rear end restoration...
What exactly are you doing, if you dont mind me asking.
Old 27-01-03, 20:56   #33
Kylie
Italian Stallion

Rear End Restoration

Firstly, I was going to drop the Fuel Tank and replace all the Return Lines Etc, then I decided to replace the Pumps too, then I found rust in the Boot Floor, so I decided to take that back, but nooooooo, there was sticky black Tar crap put there by someone a long time ago... :x So that took a while to remove. After that I decided to completely strip the Boot of the car and respray the whole thing, then I decided to take the Rear Bumper off, only to find some more nice holes in some rather convenient places... 8O And I could go on and its just such a big mess I feel like selling it seriously...
Old 28-01-03, 19:52   #34
87VLSL
Player

Yeah my VL was like that too. Someone sprayed this rough black looking stuff underneath the boot and fuel tank. It was a nightmare to get off. :x Ive got it all off now, but now I have to get the fuel tank resprayed black. They also sprayed this orange / yellow coloured rust proofing stuff in the boot and engine bay and it looks awful. Ive removed it all from the engine bay with undiluted degreaser and a pressure washer. But im yet to clean it out of the boot. Just think of it this way, It may be a bugger of a job now but itll be well worth it when you finish it.
Old 28-01-03, 20:06   #35
Kylie
Italian Stallion

Rust Proofing

Yeah, that stuff is called Fish Oil, it was in my Boot as well, around the Eves... :? Its supposed to dry eventually but this stuff must have been cheap because it was all tacky... Nice... :roll: Anyway, my main problem is in the Boot, not much around the Front, but if that Oil stuff is in the Doors I'll scream! Might be buying a Digital Camera soon, make my own guide to VL Rust Repair! Heh Heh
Old 29-01-03, 19:51   #36
87VLSL
Player

On my VL, The Fish oil has been sprayed inside the boot on the quarter panels, and it has stayed tacky. Its terrible stuff, and it looks bad. :evil: I dont know how Im going to remove it yet. It might not have been too bad if whoever done it only used it sparingly. Did you also check under the bootlid seal? I took mine off for a look, and there was a little bit of rust around the edge where the seal presses down on.
Old 29-01-03, 20:30   #37
Kylie
Italian Stallion

Boot Seal

Yeah, I found out about the Boot Seal when I first got the car after washing it and finding a Boot full of water... Got to that straight away and rebuilt the parts that were missing and replaced the Seal and it hasn't leaked since even in the most heavy rain... With the Fish Oil, the Best way I found to remove it was to scrape off as much as I could with a Scraper, and then use SuperGlow (Paint Thinner) or something like Prepwash or Degreaser and a rag... :? Make sure you take a break every now and then and have some good ventilation though! 8O
Old 07-10-17, 08:25   #38
hooman1
Player

Car: VL
Trader Rating: (0)
I have the same issue, I think its more the faulty gauge in my dash, car doesn't seem t be hot at all. The gauge is a heat element blade type and can become inaccurate..
hooman1 is offline   Reply With Quote