CalaisTurbo New Tags
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Readers Rides > VL Turbos
GRUNT Performance

Old 10-05-10, 10:26   #76
SIroller
CAL.415

Trader Rating: (52)
Had a GKTech no holes cooler put on yesterday. i can't say whether it has made a difference yet. i can normally feel the difference in power between hot and cool air but i drove it home at about 9 last night and it felt like it normally does when the weathers cool however just towards the end of the trip i took off and it suprised me so maybe the change had come through just enough for me to notice?

on another note this is my only personal transport for a few months as i have just given my dad my VY wagon. luckily i only have 4 more weeks of uni and 4 weeks of exam so all up thats a minimum of 10 trips i have to make from home to caulfield and i quit my job in moorabin so i can walk to work now instead of an hour + drive each way.
Old 17-05-10, 22:30   #77
Richo11
Did someone say 2?

Car: Calais Wagon
Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via MSN to Richo11
I needed inspiration to finish my wagon so i came here. Shes looking great mitch, I saw a pic with the simmons on - fantastic choice. Suit it 100% Keep it up mate - that body deadoner is top stuff, i used it on mine too! keep it touch buddy
Cheers,
Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEP_boost
All these rumours are only because Charles is gay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIXIE
Bathe me,matty
Richo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-10, 21:18   #78
SIroller
CAL.415

cheers richo!

keep an eye out for this or a black / blue hk brougham with a shannons trailer in tow. it will be my old man. i am off to london in less than 2 months :S (haven't got a visa yet fark!)

btw, while i am in london i will be looking out for some momo status's or some centrecaps lol. desperate.
Old 19-05-10, 00:55   #79
VLC-03L
10.8 @ 126MPH on Pump :)

Car: silverslate berlina/sunroof , RB26 calais,
Trader Rating: (1)
i have sent u about 5 pm's now wats the go??????
VLC-03L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-10, 12:34   #80
SIroller
CAL.415

hey man not getting pm's on my old n97. just the boards. call me on 04 39 808 090?

---------- Post added 25-05-10 at 15:25 ----------

realise i didn't post anything about the vlt nats trip so thought i'd bang up some pics.

i went saturday morning with shaun, (muzavl) morgan, dvswgn aka kelly, jason aka blujet and a stack of passengers.

it rained all the way up but everything went smooth and we stopped at almost every servo for fuel!

just an awesome snap on the way up while waiting for kelly to fuel up.

when we got there the show and shine entry was pretty cheap so i banged the car in show and shine and we took advantage of the esky / tailgate / folding chairs to lax out.

the event was washed out all morning and didn't start til late but i had a great time anyway and my passengers enjoyed themselves and learned a lot about vl's and turbos.

this is just an awesome snap on the way home
Old 29-05-10, 18:22   #81
SIroller
CAL.415

just been playing in the engine bay and polishing some of the car (bonnet down, the rest to go!)

when the cooler was fitted i slapped it all back together thinking i'd fix up the relocation of spark leads / vacum lines later. fark what a prick of a job! the spark leads are too short to comfortably run around the front of the engine. i did it anywa as it needs to be done but what a prick! also i shifted the accelerator cable from running across the top of the top pipe so now it runs below. looks much better. now i just have to have a chat to enzed and get the vacum lines to run behind the engine. on the upside it makes a big difference visually.
Old 01-06-10, 14:43   #82
PROGMH

Car:
Trader Rating: (26)
Before / After pics?
PROGMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 21:32   #83
SIroller
CAL.415

ah, the polishing hasn't made a heap of difference and the spark leads are a tad short to run around the front of the engine. it removes clutter and makes the crossover look much cleaner but no before and afters yet. also still haven't moved the rubber lines that run are bolted onto the standard crossover. need to get some very long rubber hosing for that.

i have however finally replaced the rocker cover - intake mani rubber L bend which has been leccy taped since i bought the car lol. went to 2 wreckers yards and could only find 2 of them! so now i have a spare. obviously a desireable item from wrecks.

---------- Post added 01-06-10 at 23:16 ----------

Old 03-06-10, 18:21   #84
SIroller
CAL.415

post installation - note the spark leads etc zip tied to the top pipe
Old 09-06-10, 21:44   #85
SIKVLT
why are you reading this?

Send a message via MSN to SIKVLT
What boost are you running now with the cooler on ?
SIKVLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 16:57   #86
SIroller
CAL.415

it should be running stock boost.... Jamie at JDCustoms told me with the 3 " front pipe and exhaust system it should gain a few PSI so should run between 7-9 however my boost gauge is reading 5-6psi. i think there might be a crimp between the firewall and the gauge but don't know????? its a mechanical boost gauge.

so yeah anyway its stock boost no tap or spring changes.
Old 10-06-10, 17:41   #87
SIKVLT
why are you reading this?

Send a message via MSN to SIKVLT
I'm running the same kit on my wag but found that the factory pressure release valve was opening up everytime I came on boost I ended up taking it out and putting a blank in it's place but I run between 10 -12 psi

I just saw yours still in place and thought how you were running with it still in ?

But anyway all good end rant lol
SIKVLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-10, 01:41   #88
SIroller
CAL.415

the relief valve on the inlet mani? i will look into it thanks SIKVLT

went down to a random dyno night tonight. i found out about it through a friend of a friend in a magna forum and the magic facebook. i ran into AFGweapon aka baz, nice to meet you ever so briefly, and marko which was a suprise. $40 and a few hours later i was on the dyno and - heres the youtube vid -

my last dyno was in shepparton at springnats and i pulled 149 r/whp or about 111r/wkw
at that stage the only mods were a 3" front pipe back exhaust from JDC and a fresh engine. it should also be said the temperature was something in the 30's. i ran tonight in about 12deg/c heat and with the addition of a GKtech front mount. i let it warm up to full operating temp and pulled a best of 139.9r/wkw on standard boost.

i was pretty stoked to see csuch a large gain. the bystanders were puzzled at first why i was so excited since their GT-R's were ulling 270+ . towards midnight a few guys were skating up and down the road or at least spooling, it was raining outside and the police rocked up with 3 cars and blocked in the court. it all went well, they had a stern word to some fool they heard bigmouthing how the police wouldn't know he had been hooning and then spoke to the event organisers before leaving maybe 15mins later. i skidaddled after that not wanting to stick around, had a bit of a fright that a legal night out was going to turn into a defect station!

a few pics -

[COLOR="Silver"]

edit - delete double post... duh

Last edited by SIroller; 12-06-10 at 01:44.
SIroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-10, 02:28   #89
SIroller
CAL.415

hey sikvlt. i dummied up the overboost valve but didn't see any difference with the boost gauge. should probably spend the 10-15 minutes to check it isn't crimped somewhere...

on another note the other week i spent $170 at the wreckers and picked up 2 x marinello red front 1/4's and a nosecone. all are in good nick with slight surface rust (if that, more paint chipping / cracking / rubbing). first step was clean em all up and give them a closer inspection which showed up a little ding on my nosecone but not as bad as the one on there now. i then hit any of the rust / paint chip affected areas with a wire wheel and used rust converter on them. let it dry for a few days, bang on some killrust (fire engine red) then just cause i had some laying around, banged on some underbody deadener. these babies aren't ever going to rust!

that ladies and gentlemen is how you stop surface rust on your panels. the underbody spray is a bit overboard and i won't use it on the nosecone but the point remains. this is pretty much the same method i followed on my tailshaft tunnel and a method you can use on pretty much any part of your car. killrust paint doesn't require primer and if allowed to dry properly forms a very resistant coating.

these will eventually be fitted when i rip the entire front end off and get in and detail the wheel wells / struts / etc etc (anything i can get my hands on!)
Old 22-06-10, 16:54   #90
SIroller
CAL.415

well everything is packed up and boxed away in my shed now except for my tools.

i fixed the boost issue, turns out that the vac line i used ran straight from the inlet mani to some little gold thing hanging off of the back of the manifold (not the fuel pressure regulater or carbon canister, something else.) seems theres a T piece in this hose already (as well as the one i put in for the gauge) and when i installed the gauge i guess i must have pulled the line out of place, the whole time the vac line has been loosing pressure because the second T piece isn't connected! so now its fixed up and is making the correct boost (hovers around 5 in normal driving but has run as high as 8-9)
Old 25-06-10, 17:12   #91
SIroller
CAL.415

getting the timer fitted tommorrow between 9am and 12pm. sik

goddamn that centrecap was a fluke find. i got some suspension work done a while back on my VY and though pedders were rorting me so i went to a back alley suspension joint which had a lot of classics getting done (thought that was an indicator of good things) i saw that their air compressor hose reel was a momo status wheel! so it dawned on me a few weeks back to call them up. i had to google streetview them moving along the path i took to figure out their name and street adress before i yellow pages'd them. the store owner and i negotiated and now i have a centre cap. WIN!
Old 07-08-10, 03:17   #92
SIroller
CAL.415

Old 07-08-10, 17:55   #93
leb vlt
Roll Cage Territory

Car: 10.8 @ 121 mph
Trader Rating: (62)
Send a message via MSN to leb vlt
just read the whole thread, great write up man and also great patience with it all.. looks really nice on the simmons

HEKTIK FENCING, hit us up for a free quote 0403307549
leb vlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 18:39   #94
VL-EXEC
Official Member

Car: VL Berlina
Trader Rating: (6)
this thing looks mint as on hubcaps, beautifull car man
Old 22-10-10, 12:08   #95
SIroller
CAL.415

since i have been away i have amassed some chrome caps, some rx7 series 5 calipers (4 point) which i hope to get rebuilt and fit with one of vhr32's kits. also dad has his 18 year old restoration nearing re-registration (was completed and then driven for maybe 10 years before the rego was allowed to lapse.) once his car is back on the road he plans to pull my vl apart. address a leaking rack (again) and get the moulds and bumpers 2 packed by the joint that did my vlc.

and i also bought a second set of momo status's which don't require re-rolling / surfacing / gutter rash fill in and paint like my current ones do.

- mitch (from london)
Old 07-11-10, 09:16   #96
SIroller
CAL.415

proof my old man is more fanatical than me, (it's niot even his car!)

---------- Post added 07-11-10 at 10:23 ----------

so he tells me -

moulds are stripped off with bumpers for painting
cargo area and seats stripped
interior (inc. headlining) pressure washed clean (he knows the danger of getting the electrics wet after we waited 3 days for my n/a to dry out after pressure washing the bay)

i rang him and had a chat. the rx7 brakes have arrived ("yeah theres a big parcel on the floor here for you") and he tells me he wants to sound deaden the rear 1/4s. i tried to discourage it by telling him its a weekender, and its so bloody noisy anyway that the diff and road noises are just another joy of driving it. in fact its the occasional banging which helped me identify the tailshaft problem. he may or may not put a few sheets of dynamat in there (i told him if he is going to do it theres over half of a bulk pack left in my parts bin somewhere)

so all fun and games back home. anyone able to help me with the cargo area side 1/4 trimmings? the chipboard backing is so brittle it's impractical to use. maybe a fibreglass or repro copy? i think a glass copy with a vinyl wrap will be the best choice in the end.
Old 07-11-10, 10:44   #97
LUXJET
yehboi

Car: PANNIC
Trader Rating: (5)
your old man is a legend mitch, damn that thing is clean..
Old 07-11-10, 13:11   #98
malpaso
ILL-747

Car: RS Liberty
Trader Rating: (12)
hot damn man

as to your question progress or a step back:

progress if it is on the road relatively soon
step back if its going to be a while before its drivable again
malpaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 19:58   #99
SELO XST 045
167rwkw @ 10psi

Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via MSN to SELO XST 045
yeh man your dads awsome .. good bloke ..

looking great man its just make it more neat...

well done keep it up..
SELO XST 045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 02:35   #100
SIroller
CAL.415

it will be a month or so but i am not booked to be back in the country unitl a few days before xmas and i plan to extend my trip anyway. so no big deal. i will try to get some pictures of the brougham which is under covers in the back of the 3rd and 4th pictures.

i have contacted a friend to ask if he thinks he can fibreglass up the rear cargo area sides and rear plates for me with the intention of refitting them vinyl wrapped with standard plugs. waiting to hear back can't wait! its about time i made some progress on the cargo area. i have been thinking about it for ages now.