User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Readers Rides > Other VLs
Tyres Now

Old 20-02-12, 20:59   #26
xAsh-
Official Member

Car: SL Turbo, Calais Daily
Trader Rating: (4)
What part of getting the pedal in did you find the worst? And nah luckily not speaking from experience, but when i put my R33 5 speed in i plan on putting in royal purple stuff.

Sleeper build thread - http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=235527
xAsh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-12, 23:16   #27
bigrob
Player

Car: 88 VL Exec, 88 VLT Berlina
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYKO3L View Post
Good job. You going to cut the brake pedal down? (100 times easier than swapping the pedal lol)
yes, and yes I noticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAsh- View Post
What part of getting the pedal in did you find the worst? And nah luckily not speaking from experience, but when i put my R33 5 speed in i plan on putting in royal purple stuff.
being able to get the thing in that the clutch pedal pivots on, I dropped the steering column to get more access, but the damn thing is so hard to get to. Also, the person who installed my gas system decided to run some lines through the grommet meant for the clutch pushrod. I guess he was just doing his job well, but man is it frustrating! Sweet, when's the box going in? Royal purple carpet or what?? I want to change the carpet and soundproof at the same time, and possibly paint my dash
Old 20-02-12, 23:23   #28
xAsh-
Official Member

haha i laughed so hard at that

http://www.royalpurple.com/products/max-gear/

I havent bought it yet, not in a huge rush, ive got an MX7 in there at the moment

Old 21-02-12, 10:36   #29
bigrob
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAsh- View Post
haha i laughed so hard at that

http://www.royalpurple.com/products/max-gear/

I havent bought it yet, not in a huge rush, ive got an MX7 in there at the moment
wow ignorant me :S Makes a hellava lot more sense looking back now, I couldn't imagine what you were trying to say haha. Benefits of staying up late let me know when you take the mx7 out, I'll be interested most likely if you want to sell it

---------- Post added 21-02-12 at 18:26 ----------

So it's all done, took it for a drive today, started first turn of the key I'm pretty proud of myself haha. The only thing is that the clutch pedal is very (I mean VERY) low, so that I have to put the clutch to the floor to get into first. It's bled properly, and the pushrod is adjusted, any idea what I could to to change that?? Cheers
bigrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-12, 12:05   #30
bigrob
Player

Been getting more and more in love with my car, it's totally different as a manual, VL's were never meant to be auto! I put the console back in and everything today, the only thing I'm missing is a gear boot, meh, I can live without one for the time being until I find one. So next on the list, I got some monroe gt sports shockers and some sl king springs, they'll be going in sometime, in the meantime I have to fix the missus' AU, the steering column is about to fall out. And just a general question, does the series 2 calais dash plug in just like the tacho dash, or do you need to mod anything? I like the look of them a lot more, might put one in if it's fairly simple
Old 22-02-12, 16:59   #31
Psi_Wagon
Wagon > Sedan

Trader Rating: (39)
you can buy the gear boot from rare spares

on another note, you dont wanna sell me the nudge bar and the bonnet protector?
Psi_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-12, 19:01   #32
SYKO3L
OHH HERRO

Car: The Petercopter
Trader Rating: (14)
Two things about having to push the clutch all the way to the floor...

Did you bolt the pedal box back in properly? (Otherwise it moves under braking etc)

You should be able to adjust it so that the pedal makes contact with the master cylinder push rod earlier....
SYKO3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-12, 22:17   #33
bigrob
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi_Wagon View Post
you can buy the gear boot from rare spares

on another note, you dont wanna sell me the nudge bar and the bonnet protector?
I'll get one eventually. You can have the nudge bar if you come get it I don't have the bonnet protector any more, chucked it out a week ago. Make me an offer and it's yours. Message me: 0407 953 272

Nah it's all screwed in fine, still not sure what it is, I may just weld a piece on the pushrod, I like my clutches high On another note, the people who did my gas install did a really sh*t job of it, there's wiring everywhere, some that doesn't even go anywhere, and today my car cut out randomly while driving. Turns out, one of the leads was fouled on the steering column and eventually wore through after many hours of rubbing from turning the wheel, resulting in the fuel pump/gas system not working. Gay as aids. I'll sort it all out tomorrow hopefully, wish me luck. But overall, I'm in love with my car all over again, it's nice to drive

---------- Post added 23-02-12 at 14:36 ----------

Sorted all the wiring out, turned out the gas people had put a fuse on the firewall right behind the rocker cover, and that had blown. Had me a little worried there, because I was looking at all the wiring going nowhere, with loose ends everywhere. Ended up trimming it all up, and rewiring most of it, also got my reverse lights working by simply cutting the auto loom plug off and wiring the reverse lights in by slicing wires. 1 minute job. So yeah, hopefully it doesn't develop any more problems
Old 25-02-12, 10:57   #34
bigrob
Player

Anyone know of a good tailshaft balancing place in the eastern suburbs of melbourne?? Mine starts vibrating either at low rpm on high throttle, or when I'm between 70-90 km/h, and it's a little unpleasant, besides that it's all good besides some throw bearing noise, but that's easily fixed. Oh and here's a pic of the rocker cover and new water lines fitted, hasn't been cleaned up nicely yet, the engine bay is due for a degreasing any time I can be bothered soon.
Old 25-02-12, 13:26   #35
SYKO3L
OHH HERRO

Car: The Petercopter
Trader Rating: (14)
From memory, the NA auto and manual tailshaft are the same?

You could use your old auto tail shaft.

EDIT: Had a quick search and still not 100%. At worst you would need to change the yoke.

Last edited by SYKO3L; 25-02-12 at 13:39.
SYKO3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-12, 23:01   #36
bigrob
Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYKO3L View Post
From memory, the NA auto and manual tailshaft are the same?

You could use your old auto tail shaft.

EDIT: Had a quick search and still not 100%. At worst you would need to change the yoke.
They're the same length, but the ends are different, I posted a pic of them. Now whether or not I can swap the ends is another question, I'll have a look sometime soon. Not that my auto one was perfectly balanced either :S
Old 27-02-12, 14:03   #37
bigrob
Player

My car runs really rough from a cold start after it's been raining, and it runs really bad, even backfires until the engine warms. Makes me think that water is getting in somewhere, maybe the ecu? Any suggestions? It scared the hell out of me this morning :S
Old 02-03-12, 09:34   #38
bigrob
Player

Lowering it this weekend hopefully onto sl kings and monroe gt sports, also got a strut brace that'll be going on as soon as it arrives. Bought a gear boot from rare spares, damn thing doesn't fit well, it rips off if I shift into second or 4th, although I have a sneaking suspicion that my manual surround is from a VK, not a VL :/ It's also broken a little. Anyone wanna sell me a manual surround?? Took a little while for everything to wear in, but it's going really smoothly right now, sometimes I wonder whether I've lost traction because it's so smooth haha. More mods in the future, I'll be putting the XF TB on sometime if I have time, I still need to finish cutting out the plenum flange to fit
Old 07-03-12, 17:55   #39
bigrob
Player

Bought a strut brace over the weekend, fitted it today, and found at the same time that I'm running positive camber somehow! Fix that up soon, but yeah, I didn't think I would feel much difference with the strut brace, but it makes a noticeable difference.
Old 11-03-12, 20:07   #40
xAsh-
Official Member

Yeah ive heard 30mm swaybar on the front really makes a difference as well!

Old 14-03-12, 09:22   #41
bigrob
Player

I've only got a 27, but it does the job, definitely the best money I've spent on it so far handling-wise. I'm wondering whether or not to do the rear too. Also wondering whether I should spray the bumpers and trim to match the body or leave it 2 tone. I've got a beige dash that I want to put in too. So many things to do, so little time :/