Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Suspension, Brakes, Gearboxes, Diffs
JD CUSTOM

Old 25-12-02, 22:42   #1
fkncrzy
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (0)
Headlights not working

Not long ago, I was going for a leisurely drive in the hills during the night when all of a sudden, all my lights disappeared, bar parkers. I have high-beam only when I pull back the indicator/light stalk, and no low-beam whatsoever. I opened my fuse box expecting a busted fuse and was greeted with a molten mess where the high beam fuse is. I cannot put in another fuse here, I think I need a whole new fuse-holding part; correct me if I am wrong.
I cut the wire underneath the high beam fuse thinking power may still be jumping across, but still the high-beams worked, and low-beams didnt. I then removed the headlight relays completely from the fuse box and the lights still worked the same.
I have no idea whatsoever as to whats busted on my VL (1986 Executive 6 cylinder if that helps) and I'm not sure if I can fix the problem myself, if its just a simple switch/indicator stalk problem or not...
I will probably need to go and see an auto-electrician, but can't really afford to have my wallet raped to fix a light problem, but even some idea as to whats busted may end up getting the job done faster and cheaper

Cheers, Craig.
Old 25-12-02, 22:45   #2
fkncrzy
Player

Car:
Sorry, just have to add that the high-beams only stay on while the indicator stalk is held backwards and doesn't stay engaged with just a simple click backwards, I'm quite puzzled. :?
Old 28-12-02, 10:39   #3
vldan
Player

Send a message via ICQ to vldan
Yes they are two different circuits. If you searched these forums im sure you would find a similar problem/post. Heres what i can tell you anyway.
1. current bulbs higher power rating then the factory wiring/fuse are designed for
2. circuit 1 = highbeam, circuit 2 = lowbeam
3. when you hold back the switch (while on low beam) you are still on the low beam circuit, obviously deisigned for flashing people etc.. its not untill you release the switch that you are on the highbeam circuit(the one that has blown,fuse 3?)

I would probably get an electrician to do the job if you not electrically minded. Maybe try and hunt down the fuse holder from a vl wreck(not the box) and cut it out, that way if you do goto an electrician and you have the money he could rewire the new holder in for a tidy/reliable appearence. If you want to fit 100w globes into the factory vl setup you will need wire relays up that can take heat/power off the factory wiring. If you hassled car crazy he might have a diagram of a relay setup for use with 100w hl globes.
vldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-02, 10:45   #4
my88vl
Player

Car: Toyota Surf
Its seems to be a common problem in VL's to melt the headlight fuses. You can just put an inline fuse in there and leave the standard box there.

The local auto electrician only charged me like $30 to replace all the fuses that had melted so its not an expensive job and will only take him a few minutes to do.

One other thing i have seen done, is if you run higher wattage bulbs, run a big fat ground wire to the body of the car.
Old 29-12-02, 19:48   #5
fkncrzy
Player

Car:
Cheers for the replies guys! The way I see it, the fuse alone would be the problem here, and if I somehow rigged up an inline fuse instead if the melted section of the box this should solve the problem?
Old 29-12-02, 22:11   #6
87calais
legend

Car: '87 VLCT Manual, '11 VE SS-V Manual
Trader Rating: (12)
Send a message via MSN to 87calais
yep inline fuses are about $3 each, just cut the wires under the stuffed fuses and solder in the inline fuse.
Old 29-12-02, 22:13   #7
my88vl
Player

Car: Toyota Surf
Exactly what he said.... dirt cheap and piss easy to do.
Old 29-12-02, 23:05   #8
FamilyWagon
Player

Car:
Both of my VL's had this done (in line fuse) - it's pretty common from a few others I've seen also - no big prob.
FamilyWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-02, 23:44   #9
mark
Official Member

Car: VN 5ltr 5speed stage 2 bresciani cam and chip
a few of my fuses welded themself to the fuse holder! (what a great design holden)
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-02, 11:13   #10
fkncrzy
Player

Car:
Sweet, what a piece of piss... going to buy a inline fuse now
Old 11-01-03, 23:35   #11
fkncrzy
Player

Car:
OK New dilemma in the headlights not working case, put inline fuses into both the low beam and high beam fuse area, and now the high beams work perfectly.
The low beams still do not :cry: I bought a new indicator/headlight stalk ($60) and installed it, and still no low beams. There is no power getting through to the low beam fuse when low beam is selected on the switch. I'm really stumped now, could it be an earth problem?
Old 12-01-03, 11:10   #12
Walkinshaw wagon
Player

Car: RED Walky Wagon
Send a message via MSN to Walkinshaw wagon
try looking under neath the fuse box. my high bems werent working for about 9 months (in the same way your low beams dont work). the answer was that underneath the fuse box all the terminals had corroded.

if all else fails take it to a sparky shouldnt cost that much to fix.
Old 06-11-15, 10:03   #13
Bono12s
Player

Car: vl wagon
Hey, just wondering if anyone has had problems with the parkers no working? The taillights come on but the front parkers dont. I have replaced the bulbs and still no go. Is there a seperate relay for the front parkers? Cheers
Bono12s is offline   Reply With Quote