Old 23-08-10, 19:41   #52
<NICK>
Player

Car: 1986 VL SL Turbo
Trader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitaph View Post
so he did tell u the hose was off?
i think he did , dodgy technique i say .... i was led to believe they were a good mob down at AVO but after this i beg to differ
Old 23-08-10, 19:59   #53
{PIGYB8}
...FAT-747...

Car: white vl calais turbo (was VLTF18), now FAT-747
Trader Rating: (8)
ye he told me the hose was off
nick: thats wat i thought, iv herd nothing but good things about them
Old 23-08-10, 20:03   #54
Tomo
Player

Car: vl berlina turbo, vx ss
Trader Rating: (15)
something not right there... id be defo asking for some form of compensation.
i did when "xyz" cam manufactures cause engine failure.
got around 800 worth of parts done... still set me back some 1500 though
Old 23-08-10, 20:04   #55
Epitaph
Y U MAD THO?

Car: BF XR8 Ute
Trader Rating: (14)
so, he said, the hose its off, its free bootin, be carefull.. and u werent careful?
Old 23-08-10, 20:20   #56
{PIGYB8}
...FAT-747...

he said watch the boost gauge but should be ok
i remember saying i want to put my foot down, and he said should b sweet just watch the gauge,
and i did, everytime i hit fullboost which was 5 time in half an hour maybe, i watched the gauge and it didnt go over 20, then half an hour later i put the foot into it with a mate in the car and told him to watch the boost gauge, and he yelled out stop, so i backed off said it went way over 20, but too late did the rings there and then
i was only going to drive it again probly 2 more times that day then not drive it untill i got a new boost controller, but unfortunatly it happend
Old 23-08-10, 20:35   #57
Vl_Calais
Gold Members

Car: 04' VY HSV R8 & 88' Calais Turbo [VLTGMH]
Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via MSN to Vl_Calais
AVO have a damn good reputation.....But knowing they gave it back to you with the hose off just isn't professional.

I have had a few cars worked on and tuned by AVO and haven't had an issue - pretty happy to be honest but now this has left a bad taste in my mouth.

I am actually building a car at the moment and was going to take it back to get some work done.

Now thing otherwise - Sorry to hear champ!
Old 23-08-10, 20:46   #58
Epitaph
Y U MAD THO?

okay...so this comes across like this

AVO: Hey mate, car wont make boost with that boost controller, so we've taken the hose off the wastegate.

YOU: ok, ill get a new boost controller asap.

AVO: Cool, well just be carefull and watch the boost gauge until you get one.

YOU: Will do.
Old 23-08-10, 20:48   #59
l67calais
Player

Car: Calais
Trader Rating: (1)
hey what size rear is on your gt3040
Old 23-08-10, 23:39   #60
{PIGYB8}
...FAT-747...

Epitaph: yes mate

l67calais: I think .89 there's a thread I made about it asking questions should b in there

I'm feeling pritty bad now giving Avo a bad name. They're loosing customers over this
like i said **** situation
Old 24-08-10, 08:21   #61
Epitaph
Y U MAD THO?

It's a crappy situation, best of luck to you getting the car going again.

I say bang an N/A motor in there, PM exchaser about what they did to his n/a bottom end, they fixed the oil delivery issues and he has now run like 40 ten second passes on a hicomp motor
Old 24-08-10, 10:51   #62
{PIGYB8}
...FAT-747...

yer im thinking about slappin an a6 in there then build my bottom end slowly then when my one is ready, wind up the boost and try and pop the a6 then do a swap
only problem is i have no garage, have to work outside with no cover, its ****ty weather at the moment, always cold/windy/wet outside, i have a ****ty driveway to work on, its on a hill, and has bumps and grooves everywere, not ideal for swinging an engine crane around either
if i had a garage the motor would be out already
so if i do the a6 i have to go through all the **** of taking a motor out twice
and its hard to determine the condition of a bottom end when buying it off places like here/ebay, could buy an a6 go through all the trouble of putting it in and then start it and it has a bottom end knock, ect
im a mechanic and i cant even use the workshop (****n dealerships)
ah well, puttin a car cover over it and not looking at it till i get from winton PCM
Old 24-08-10, 11:21   #63
nanspsi
Player

Car: ANYLSI 10.76@126MPH
Avo is to blame for this stuff up, ur in a cvunt of a situation cos they are offering cheaper service to fix ur car but u can't trust them again ( if u do be wary)

end of the day they told u that the hose was off and ur free boosting and u decided to give it a bit of stick driving home without a boost controller so both parties are to blame, if my tuner said something is wrong with the tune it would be staying there until the problem is solved
Old 24-08-10, 11:25   #64
Epitaph
Y U MAD THO?

But what about if they said You need a new boost controller, and you said i'll get one soon and install it myself..
Old 24-08-10, 18:42   #65
-VB-
Player

Car: VL Berlina 5 speed
there was nothing wrong with the tune nanpsi, there was a mechanical limit (boost controller/gate spring combo) that they pushed passed at jay's request (he wanted more boost/power).

it was supposedly run on the dyno, as jay said, 20 or so times at that boost level with no hose on the gate, and didnt spike any further, theoretically, it shouldnt have gone any higher. its obviously not common practice puling the hose off the gate and giving it back to the customer, but nothing unreasonable has happened in this situation, its just a c*nt of a thing to happen. i dont think jay holds an hostility toward AVO here, dont think anyone else needs to (for those that are saying to go elsewhere etc)

*just as a point of interest for those who haven't realised, the turbo is a gt30 front on a much smaller rear, so it would seem logical to top out much earlier than your regular gt30*
Old 24-08-10, 19:08   #66
PROGMH

Car:
Trader Rating: (26)
Sounds like AVO didn't do anything wrong then. If they said that it's free boosting and to keep an eye on the gauge if you're going to nail it before getting a boost controller. It's just unfortunate that the car didn't replicate the dyno runs where it was holding boost... but then again there's nothing stopping it.

Hopefully you can get it sorted and back on the road to enjoy soon mate, cars are the worst when things go wrong, but dont give up!
Old 24-08-10, 22:06   #67
{PIGYB8}
...FAT-747...

Lol your 100% right there Brett and yer I'll keep at it
I hold nothing against Avo not there fault, just a **** situation and unluky and costly, but that's cars for ya, if u don't like these things happening don't play with cars
itl b bak on the road soon enuf, just don't have the money like some ppl do to just get it done now
at least the weather is **** at the moment so even if I had it on the road right now it wouldn't be gettn driven that much, that's a positive I guess lol
Old 24-08-10, 22:09   #68
Tomo
Player

find a tidy n/a motor,
pull your top end off your a8, throw that cam in it while its apart new headgasket, service the bugger and slap it back together.
**** situation but bounce back bigger and better!
Old 24-08-10, 22:27   #69
HTURBO
Pushing Limits

Car: 05 VZ HSV Clubsport R8 daily / VL calais turbo manual / 05 CRF450R
I've had my VL tuned a few times by AVO and haven't had any problems.
Running 20psi all the time.
Just a question. Are you running forgies or standard pistons??
What are your specs?? Computer, engine, turbo, injectors & fuel pump.

Last edited by HTURBO; 24-08-10 at 22:39.
Old 24-08-10, 22:49   #70
<NICK>
Player

Car: 1986 VL SL Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTURBO View Post
I've had my VL tuned a few times by AVO and haven't had any problems.
Running 20psi all the time.
Just a question. Are you running forgies or standard pistons??
What are your specs?? Computer, engine, turbo, injectors & fuel pump.
yea cos your vacuum hose wasnt left disconnected

i dont know i find the whole situation dissapointed from the tuners behalf , feel sorry for jay ..... its a situation that could of been avoided
Old 24-08-10, 23:07   #71
Tomo
Player

do a comp test? its dead easy
might have only done a gasket? might be lucky?
Old 25-08-10, 10:36   #72
{PIGYB8}
...FAT-747...

comp test already done the day it happened, all cylinders between 120-140psi, except cylinder 4, that one wouldnt make any pressure, just would very slowly go up to 10 then drop off again.
and it sounds all well and good to do what u just said Tomo, but its a bit more difficult at my house, no garage, cover ect...

No forgies, stock turbo a8 bottom end 185,000kms, rebuilt once apon a time as it has 1.00 oversized pistons in it, nissan head gasket, stock manifolds, GT30 turbo, small rear housing, Tial 38mm gate, GTR injectors, nistune, bosch 044, malpassi, pierburg intank pump, GKtech cooler, stock cam (for now)
Old 25-08-10, 10:50   #73
Epitaph
Y U MAD THO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by <NICK> View Post
yea cos your vacuum hose wasnt left disconnected

i dont know i find the whole situation dissapointed from the tuners behalf , feel sorry for jay ..... its a situation that could of been avoided
i feel sorry for Jay too, but he was aware that the vacuum hose was off, and was told to be very careful until he got a new boost controller.. he didnt wanna put the car back in for a retune (obviously) so was just gonna limp it home and put a new boost controller in, and everything be fine
i fail to see how the tuner has dissapointed you
Old 25-08-10, 13:06   #74
88 Chaser
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (20)
I spoke to the guys yesterday arvo at avo, they are really dissapointed it happend. Im not 100% clear on the facts still, but from what i understand is that Jake was more comfortable keeping the boost to about 16-17 psi where it was, and Jay wanted to run 20 psi, which normally Jay, wouldnt be a problem. For what ever reason the boost controller wasnt playing the game, and the only way to get the boost was to pull the vaccume line off, I can assure you that Jake would have done a ton on runs on the dyno, then taking it round the block a few times to make sure he was happy with it. Unfortunatly it has overboosted before you had a chance to fix it and damaged it.

Hard to point the blame at the tuner as they were trying to do what the owner wanted and keep him happy, but not really your fault either Jay, AVO should have turned around and told you that they wernt prepared to do that and left it how it was, but then you would have walked away thinking they were idiots cause they wouldnt do what you wanted.
Old 25-08-10, 13:47   #75
{PIGYB8}
...FAT-747...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Chaser View Post
I spoke to the guys yesterday arvo at avo, they are really dissapointed it happend. Im not 100% clear on the facts still, but from what i understand is that Jake was more comfortable keeping the boost to about 16-17 psi where it was, and Jay wanted to run 20 psi, which normally Jay, wouldnt be a problem. For what ever reason the boost controller wasnt playing the game, and the only way to get the boost was to pull the vaccume line off, I can assure you that Jake would have done a ton on runs on the dyno, then taking it round the block a few times to make sure he was happy with it. Unfortunatly it has overboosted before you had a chance to fix it and damaged it.

Hard to point the blame at the tuner as they were trying to do what the owner wanted and keep him happy, but not really your fault either Jay, AVO should have turned around and told you that they wernt prepared to do that and left it how it was, but then you would have walked away thinking they were idiots cause they wouldnt do what you wanted.
ye not blaming it on them, if anyones at fault i guess its me, but i did say i dont want it bak unless i can put my foot down a couple of times safely, (which i did and only a couple of times), and he said ye will b ok, but dont go constantly driving like that and get a boost controller on it asap.
and i never demanded 20psi at all, i said i was aiming for 200rwkw, and too see how close we can get to it safely, i went to get it friday, under the impression my car was on 17 Psi, and he said we got 200+ and its on 20psi
anyways like i said theyre not too blame, i still trust them, ill b going back there to get the bottom end rebuilt.
Im a **** for puttin my foot down to see how it went, ah well lesson lernt

Last edited by {PIGYB8}; 25-08-10 at 13:53.
Closed Thread