Tyres Now

Old 18-07-03, 15:07   #1
jaxond24
Player

Car: 1988 N/A VL Commodore
Trader Rating: (0)
Transmission Mod N/A to VLT

Hi.

I was thinking of converting my NA VL to a VLT one day. I was thinking of where to start. I thought the transmission would be a good place, then even if i dont do the turbo/engine/etc it still should enhance performance. Anyway, a mate of mine is right into cars and knows his stuff about them. He says that using a modified/strenghtened trimatic would be good, as they are cheap to buy initially and are decent once 'tinkered with' He has a lot of parts lying around for them so thats good for me also (mates rates). I have possibly found an adapter kit to bolt onto a trimatic to make it fit to an RB30 without any hassles...

Could anyone offer any information on problems i may encounter by using a trimatic? will it benefit much? Any information would be helpful, i dont want to commit to this if it is pointless

Thanks.
JaxonD24
jaxond24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-03, 17:21   #2
quickn/avl
Player

Car:
depends on how much power you want if you are only looking at a mild power increase i would go for a strenghtened jatco box as you will still have the advantage of the 4th gear.
Old 22-07-03, 12:11   #3
jaxond24
Player

Well, i dont know how much power i do want, but i do know that i dont want to limit myself... If i am going to spend money on a jatco that will be mild power, then i might as well spend the same money (and maybe a little more) to get something that will allow more power. I want it reliable too... So the more power it is built to take, even if i dont use it, the better i guess. I dont want massive power... Its just a standard 88KW at the wheels VL doesnt cut it for me anymore .

What kind of advantage does the fourth gear offer?

Thanks for your comments.
JaxonD24
Old 22-07-03, 15:56   #4
quickn/avl
Player

Car:
the extra gear will give you lower revs when on the hiway therefore less wear on the driveline and it will use less fuel as well
quickn/avl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-03, 09:08   #5
jaxond24
Player

I see... I do like that 4th gear... but, i dont know.. My friend already has parts for a trimatic, they are very cheap to buy too. To strengthen the internals of a Jatco to withstand a fair amount of power, do you have any idea how much this could cost? I know thats like asking how long a piece of string is, but a ball park figure at least? I bought a house recently so i have a lot less $ to fling around and i want to make sure i use my money in the most effective possible way 8O.

Thanks again.
JaxonD24
Old 23-07-03, 09:12   #6
jaxond24
Player

By the way, i am at work at the moment and http://in-car-nation.cjb.net is filtered out for some reason so i cant view your website... I always like to see other peoples cars... seeing i cant get to it, can you tell me about yours?

Thanks.
JaxonD24
Old 25-07-03, 11:05   #7
quickn/avl
Player

Car:
ifyou can get the trimatic done cheaper it would be the way to go as for the jatco i'm not real sure on a $$$ amount but not being a common gearbox i can't see it being overly cheap.As for incarnation i'm not sure about the prob i'll check it out by the way my name on incarnation is MJD1810 and you will have to register to veiw all off the forum but it;s worth it http://www.cardomain.com/id/mjd1810 is my personal website cheers.
Old 25-07-03, 11:23   #8
jaxond24
Player

Hey,

Thanks for that link, i will check it out... Also thanks on the tips, yeah, i think i will go the trimatic... The incarnation website is blocked by the place i work ats ISP so i could call up the ISP and have it unblocked (i am the computer tech at the place i work at) but i would have to justify why i need a car site for work purposes...

Or i could just have a few "work related" links added and then sneak that one on in the middle...

Cya
JaxonD24
Old 25-07-03, 13:13   #9
quickn/avl
Player

Car:
kool in thought it may have been a prob with the website.