Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Technical > Suspension, Brakes, Gearboxes, Diffs
G-Cylinder

Old 15-01-14, 10:52   #1
markovr
Player

Car: vr commodore,vz commodore, vn commodore ,vh commodore
Trader Rating: (0)
VT ventilated 16mm rear brake kit you can put on your vl solid rear axle

Ive just installed vt rear 289mm 16mm ventilated rotors on my vr solid rear axle that previously had the standard solid 289 11mm ones and you could do the same to any solid rear disc braked commodore borg warner or salsibury or even with a couple of extra parts from a disc braked vn /p/r/s you could find in any wreckers and the necessary rear axle bearings and seals installed on your axles, convert a drum braked one and it works well and it's a platform for higher end brakes too like brembo/harrop or hsv and use 315 or bigger mm discs
This is what I did...bought some good rear hand brake shoes and vt rear calipers secondhand
Got some old vn/p/r/s handbrake shoes and took all the friction material off them and found when assembled on the original backing plate their outside diameter was exactly the same as the inside diameter of the vt hand brake shoes...so the vt handbrake shoes slipped over the top...so I centred them on the vn/p/r/s shoes and welded them to each other in 6 places a side careful not to create too much heat and then cut them off when it was all welded so now they were 2 separate shoes like original.
Got the vr backing plate and slipped the end of a bolt through the original mounting hole welded one side the cut it off and welded the other side so now the original caliper mounting holes were gone and then redrilled 2 new holes 11.5mm drill size inboard at 76 mm centres, 4-5mm closer to the centre of the hub to fit the new vt calipers...found the standard vt caliper mounting bolts were a 12mm x 1.5 mm thread which happens to be the same thread as a wheel nut so I welded a wheelnut over each new hole , bevel side of the nut up and ran a 12 x 1.5 mm tap through the nut to tap out the thickness of metal of the backing plate.
Since I first did it I have had another idea to make the mounting of the caliper attaching nuts easiest and it does not need a tap by getting a longer wheelnut and by machining down the tapered end of the nut so a square shoulder is created that now goes through a clearance hole in the hub face and sits flush.Then bolt up intended caliper bracket in position and weld nuts to hub.
Next trim off the corners of the backing plate where the new caliper touched and everything now simply just bolts up and the handbrake works properly . Had to trim the dust shield a little where it made slight contact with the new caliper. I used longer attaching bolts on the calipers from the front of a vz to use more of the thread in the nut just to be on the safe side but the old ones would have been fine. This mod would have worked on any pre vt disc braked commodore salisbury or borg warner. Line adapters are needed if your car is vp series one or older so your original solid lines on your diff work on the vt style flexible lines if you choose to go that way.

Last edited by markovr; 21-09-14 at 09:26.
markovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-14, 14:13   #2
Aldawy
Player

Car:
Well done with the upgrade
Aldawy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-14, 08:36   #3
markovr
Player

RDA have some pretty good pads nowdays in their extreme range so I thought I'd give them a try as they are quite reasonably priced and qfm are getting exy in comparison...especially rears
I made up a second set of shoes/hubs as per dimensions/welding above..... my car was the guinea pig and it works so well ...I drive with this setup on my car everyday...... the caliper bolt up dimensions mean you can bolt up any vt/y/z rear upgrade to fit hsv harrop or brembo with the right adapter brackets ....the whole setup is bullet proof and totally over engineered and its pretty well boltup..so it is FOR SALE so is anyone interested in buying the combo from me?...I can do a deal if you send me your old shoes/hubs.
Some more picts

Last edited by markovr; 21-09-14 at 09:16.
Old 08-02-14, 22:21   #4
gold-vlt
Player

Car: fg xr6t daily, 88 vl series 200, 86 vl executive wagon, e46 barra powered
Trader Rating: (7)
Is there a way that you can mod the backing plate to use the vt calipers but just use the standard vl handbrake shoes with the vt rotor? or would that require you to use a vl rotor?

If so could you just use the standard vl rotors with the vt caliper upgrade?
gold-vlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 14:53   #5
5spdvl
Aaaaaaand it's gone.

Trader Rating: (22)
The purpose behind this mod is so that you can use the wider VT-spec discs, which are vented - VL etc discs are solid.

Good write up, although I gotta say with all that effort you've still left non-braided brake hoses on!
5spdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-14, 08:07   #6
markovr
Player

This was my starting point for better and later in the future, bigger rear brakes..(I am a little obsessed with having the best brakes I can) After reading a article on turbo 202 site I saw that they were successfully selling on ebay for a fair bit, what I could make in a couple of hours with some basic tools eg. angle grinder, good stick welder and basic hand tools and using parts that I could easily source locally...I thought there must be more to it until one day I had a set of vr handbrake shoes installed on a standard loose backing plate I had with all it's springs installed and adjusted at its min like you would if it had new handbrake shoes. The actual shoes on the plate didn't have any friction material so they were bare metal where the pad material used to be and I had sourced some good secondhand shoes from a vx and to my amazement when I pushed with just my hands I could slip the vx shoes straight over the top and their contact point was nearly perfect with no daylight.So after getting their positioning exactly right, I tack welded them to each other in a few places.Then I disassembled it from the plate and final welded them in a sequence so they didnt distort and then cut the vx bracket so they were 2 shoes again. The shoes when assembled now would be positioned and work the same as if they were on a vx. After a bit of trial and error I perfected the new caliper mounting position on the backing plate and my setup was marginally better than the eBay one because it was stronger and has the brake pads contact exactly in the right position on the disc.... the 76 mm bolt pattern is a platform for any upgrade rear vt /y/x/z mod which there are quite a few options(hsv harrop brembo)...at then very least with different caliper brackets on stock vt calipers, 315 dia 18mm vent rears...even modify another stock backing plate to take the standard vt caliper that places the unit the 12mm further out to run the 315 18 mm disc.
Im stuck with 16inch wheels for the time being until the tyres wear out but I have some 18 inch ve ss rims ready and am currently experimenting with some hsv 343dia 32mm thick front rotors and ve front calipers and making my own front bracketry and then also braided lines all round

---------- Post added 10-02-14 at 08:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold-vlt View Post
Is there a way that you can mod the backing plate to use the vt calipers but just use the standard vl handbrake shoes with the vt rotor? or would that require you to use a vl rotor?

If so could you just use the standard vl rotors with the vt caliper upgrade?
there is another option but it is more expensive and makes the disc a non off the shelf item .....is to press a smaller vl style drum inside the vt disc and run standard shoes but it is easier and cheaper to do it this way.
The two model discs are quite different...... 11.5 solid rotors against 16mm ventilated ones so you couldnt just install the moded backing plate and use vt calipers and use your old disc and the slotted etc later vt style rear discs are quite reasonably priced.
Quote:
The purpose behind this mod is so that you can use the wider VT-spec discs, which are vented - VL etc discs are solid.

Good write up, although I gotta say with all that effort you've still left non-braided brake hoses on!
Also handbrake is much more positive and will actually hold the car easily on a steep hill and lock the back wheels if you apply it while moving(if you really need to)

Last edited by markovr; 11-02-14 at 08:54.
Old 24-08-14, 08:55   #7
markovr
Player

Quote:
I have used the original rubber hoses as I intended to use 315 discs later and I wasnt sure they would be long enough
The mod is actually quite easy and after you do it a couple of times the hardest part is getting the caliper nuts perfectly positioned at 76mm centres but if you use the nuts with the shoulder milled, it is all bolted up to the brackets before you weld anything so its almost foolproof and the shoe welding is easy as well.
Also found that the original backing plates never had any paint on them so after 20 odd years they are a bit rusty...solution just throw them in a bucket with a litre of vinegar ...wait 24 hours take out and hose the rust off back to base bare metal...prime and paint

Forgot to mention for a vl or any pre series 2 vp car you need to add some line adapters to the rubber hoses ends that bolt up to your cars original solid lines to mate to the double flared solid pipe ends if you are using stock vt hoses

Last edited by markovr; 21-09-14 at 09:15.
Old 12-03-18, 10:07   #8
Roddee01
Player

Car: '87 VL Calais
markovr - are you still making these?
Roddee01 is offline   Reply With Quote