User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > Other Car Discussion
GRUNT Performance

Old 15-12-13, 01:51   #26
EvilPet
Gold Members

Car: VL HDT AERO
Trader Rating: (2)
Agree with you there. Even when I worked there late 90s there was even rumblings from senior management about long term viability should the subsidies be withdrawn.
EvilPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-13, 17:25   #27
NZ_GTS
Player

Car: '87 VL GTS Cherry Black Mica with RB25DET inside
Trader Rating: (0)
It's pretty sad that's its come to this, but as have many others have pointed out, it's not surprising. The world has changed and Holden unfortunately hasn't kept up. I hope for the sake of the nameplate, Holden retire the Commodore name in 2017, allowing the Commodore to go out on a high. The VF is without a doubt the best Commodore ever made. The build quality and drive surpasses any previous Commodore, but also many of the other offerings on the market. Take the new GTS for example. It's the car us car nuts, and probably Holden have wanted for a long time, and it is a weapon. It's one of the fastest four-doors money can buy, and is easily on par handling-wise with anything from Europe. And for the money, it pretty much can't be beat - you'd need to spend almost another $100k to access comparable Euros.
NZ_GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-14, 21:06   #28
joeallen
Player

Car: VP Vacationer wagon
Trader Rating: (0)
Well, years Yanks who went to Japan saw the very same tvs sold in the US at 3 to 5 times the Yank price in Japan. Aussie buyers of HOlden subsidized the overseas price of Holdens sold in the USSA.

The carbon tax has killed off manufacturing in Australia, the dream of the greenies. Not to mention the now sky high price of power, now the highest in the world thanks to the greens. And management for letting unions dictate policies on the shop floor. And unions for their lack of cooperation to lower costs for all of us.

Now that the local scene is gone, look for sky high prices to follow on imports, as the aussie 3 kept car prices lower than they would be otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvonko View Post
Holden isn't Australian... it belongs to GM. GM as you know is American. The Americans are in dire **** at the moment, this was always going to happen. They only care about themselves. American companies are extremely inefficient in this day and age and have not been investing in new technologies or adapting to new market conditions. I'm sick of hearing how many Banks and Car Manufacturers could just gamble and play the market and then ask for a hand out when the going got tough and they lost the bet. It is evident, there is a big hole somewhere which no matter how much you try to patch up, it will just continue to open up and suck up everything. That hole is GM....

Then you have dealerships who were charging above and beyond the odds for a car sold here which was exported to America and sold for way less there? How can this be?

From the current Holden range, how many cars are actually made in Australia? How many are imported?

How can a country who produces and exports vast quantities or iron ore, coking coal and has some of the biggest deposits of shale oil and natural gas reserves not be competitive in the car manufacturing game? Was it the lack of investment in new technologies? Why have Toyota and all the others been doing extremely well but Holden and Ford not so well? How can it not be viable for Holden to manufacture in Australia? The sums just don't add up. As Asia opens up and major economic reforms start to take shape, they will also face increased pressure from skilled labourers for better pay. What then? Any word where the Commodore is due to be built beyond 2017?

When the going got tough they just asked for a hand out, again, but that all changed with the new government. Americans are ruthless in general, so this decision in business should be no surprise to anyone.
Old 31-03-14, 22:00   #29
MUS
Couldnt care less

Car: Bagged 6L Wags, VLCT
Trader Rating: (6)
I don't know much facts about the suffering economy blah blah blah... I personally think that holdens are too expensive.
In saying that there are not many other mid sized v8s to choose from other then fords.
You can buy a new Chrysler 300 SRT8 for the price of a standard clubby, I personally would prefer the Chrysler over a clubby that's not even a R8.
Or for another 10k you can buy a 08 -09 C63 AMG.... I would rather the merc.
My next car will be a merc and not a hsv.

Last edited by MUS; 31-03-14 at 22:10.
MUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 14:33   #30
Woggster
Player

Car: The BAT MOBILE
Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to Woggster
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUS View Post
I don't know much facts about the suffering economy blah blah blah... I personally think that holdens are too expensive.
In saying that there are not many other mid sized v8s to choose from other then fords.
You can buy a new Chrysler 300 SRT8 for the price of a standard clubby, I personally would prefer the Chrysler over a clubby that's not even a R8.
Or for another 10k you can buy a 08 -09 C63 AMG.... I would rather the merc.
My next car will be a merc and not a hsv.
X2 I've been in the R8/GTS, the new SRT8 & C63. The finish of the SRT8 is better than HSV & FPV but there is still a lot more plastic in it than the C63 (although there is a big price difference new)

---------- Post added 04-04-14 at 15:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ_GTS View Post
easily on par handling-wise with anything from Europe.
Not a chance. An "old" E46 M3 or any similar euro car will run rings around it in the handling department.