CalaisTurbo New Tags END Ignore Digital Niche Code -->
User Name: Password:

Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > calaisturbo.com.au > VL Non-Turbo Discussion
LSX Garage - Performance has a new home...

Old 07-06-07, 17:30   #1
SIroller
CAL.415

Trader Rating: (52)
CZN.060 my red S1 calais

hi guys, my name is mitcham and this is my car -

model - VL Calais S1 (1986)
colour - Marinello red over asteroid silver
engine - N/A RB30
transmission - Automatic 4spd stock
Fuel type - dual gas / ulp
interior colour - Beige
stereo -
standard speakers
Clarion headunit, slide face
mods -
red interior light
polished vl calais rims
formula headrest inserts
black venetians
to be fitted -
new doormoulds
red parkers
turbo or polished rocker cover
2nd hand grille
VK calais rear end - (pending sale, haven't been able to make contact)
R31 Silhouette seats - similair bolstering to walkinshaw / brock scheel etc. (just got spare rails for these today so will fit the rails and bolt in the seats.)

History
first bought from Reg Hunt Holden by Coles Myer in 1986 as a company car for a store manager, this car did 40,000 city km before being sold on.

the second owner was a bank executive who owned the caruntil 1990. he ran the car to 100,000km and sadly parked the car outside on the street causing a build up of leaves and water resulting in rear window rust.

the third owner bought the car in 1990 from Reg Hunt first things they did were -
dashmat,
external rear window suncover
gas
they then continued to run the car for 4 years as an everyday work car. it did country km and was always garaged at night. regular services were carried out by tyhe owner as well as general maintenance by local workshops. the car has a towpack and stationwagon springs fitted at some point around here.

i bought the car in early 2007 with 390,000km on the clock. it still has the original reg hunt sticker in the engine bay but along the way the coles myer sticker was lost. it has original books and lots of service and parts history. the most attractive thing about this car was the paint and bodywork which is straight and polished up well, and the beige interior. the car was in stock form apart from gas, a set of rims and the wagon springs.

within 3 weeks of my owning the car it sustained rear end damage when a careless driver hit me from behind, this was the result -
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...r/P1010029.jpg

the car has been repaired (although poorly) and in it's current form looks like this -
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...rrepair028.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...rrepair015.jpg

thanks to - my father especially, shepheard for the advice along the way and anyone who has supplied me free parts!

thanks for reading. i will be using this thread to keep everybody up to date on the car, at the moment i am parts gathering and just trying to mkae some mates in melbourne. feel free to compliment or criticise!

Last edited by SIroller; 10-06-07 at 21:40.
SIroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 17:40   #2
-parky-
Player

Car: sum p.o.s
Trader Rating: (0)
looks good mate..... get up some more pics.
Old 07-06-07, 17:44   #3
.sam.
Player

Car:
Should be good once fixed.

Good write-up too!

Look forward to further updates
.sam. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 17:46   #4
SIroller
CAL.415

Quote:
Originally Posted by -parky-
looks good mate..... get up some more pics.
i didn't want to load you guys up with to many pics, but i will get some more when i get her all cleaned up and some mods done,
which should be the next month,

.sam. thanks bro, it has a dodgy repair so i am after parts, but it will be nice again, the reason i chose this one is i wanted a clean car that didn;t need heaps of work, -plus it has a great history, hard to find an owner who even knows why their rear end is dinted, or who last owned it, (in my experience looking for one)
Old 07-06-07, 17:53   #5
Moggy06
Player

Car: 1987 Series 2 Calais (5 Speed) [Sold]
Trader Rating: (2)
looks like a pretty good project there mate

from personal experience id leave the parkers out or only put them in when ur out for a big cruise with heaps of ppl or something
i almost got defected for mine while driving with my normal lights on when it was raining one day. Up to u though, i drove around with them on for a bit b4 that and never got caught but its not really worth the risk of a fine just for red parkers

Just a thought, they look alrihgt but i got over mine

Keep us updated mate, should be looking real good soon i bet
Moggy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 22:10   #6
Calais_Nv
Player

Car:
Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to Calais_Nv
mmm red over silver calais nice! fix up al the little things , maybe a cut and polish to make the paint look new and some white venetions!
Calais_Nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-07, 21:55   #7
SIroller
CAL.415

as requested i have a few more pictures, (and a link to my photobucket where you will find about 30 pictures of CZN now)

interior rear

interior front

engine bay - in dire need of a clean up and polish.

as she is at the moment - BP servo

update - got some formula headrests and exec seats from VL_EXEC_86, nice guy
added these to the rear headrests.
i will use the rails from the seats i grabbed to bolt up my R31 silhouette seats these will be covered by some throwovers.
reason for the R31 seats is
1 - i like the tighter fit
2 - the calais seats have worn through on the drivers side from 390.000km worth of wear. the calais seats will go into storage

also, grabbed a set of rear venetians from RBFROG, they are black in good nick, all the clips there, a few of the rails have sagged. i am considering painting whiote but don't want to attract more attention than i already do

finally, i finished my last exam for semester 1 of uni yesterday so am back into the employment thing earning monies for speakers, parts for restoration, etc.

and i have heard back from my insurance company who are going to make the workshop redo their job this time supplying the stainless steel and the clips for it (they threw my clips out) aswell as a taillight that matches the one they replaced, (they only replaced 1) and a garnish that doesnt peel before it even leaves the bodyshop.
i haven't pursued the bodgy fitting of plastics. maybe they will learn their lesson when they try to fit stainless steel to warped and overlapping trim.
Old 14-06-07, 21:58   #8
VLHERO
Player

Car: "Mini Aero"
Trader Rating: (9)
Polished wheels look good
VLHERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-07, 21:58   #9
SIroller
CAL.415

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLHERO
Polished wheels look good
cheers big ears!
Old 14-06-07, 22:22   #10
VLHERO
Player

Car: "Mini Aero"
Trader Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIroller
cheers big ears!
Same goes big nose!
VLHERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-07, 16:59   #11
SIroller
CAL.415

well my cherry has been popped.

i got defected today. and got my first hoon warning.

i stimped on the accelerator turning a corner in an undergroiund carpark, there was a bot of a squeak on the concrete floor.
i pull up and as i'm taking my h/u face off, and there is po' knockin on my window.

i got a hoon warning and a defect
did me for loose seats,
handbrake needs adjusting

apart from that due to the dodgy repairs i have been whinging about -
rear taillights different brightness - (only 1 replaced)
skirtings need replacing - (mould not yet sourced by bodyshop)
exposed sharp edges - (stainless steel caps on the rear bumper side skirts were not replaced)

in any case i got $177 fine and a week to get roiadworthy.
might bolt in the exec seats i have and i will chase the bodyshop for the parts they owe me, adjust the handbrake and she will be right for RW inspection.
Old 24-06-07, 19:53   #12
SIroller
CAL.415

defect is going well... kind of.

well i got all of the defect issues fixed, but when i went to get a rwc i didn't have my defect notice, a few hours of panicking returned the information that police dont have copies of defects, vic roads gets them... vic roads has no records of my defect, Traffic Management Unit must still have it, so i dont have the sticker... who gave me the defect? back down toi the pol shop, then a few calls to TMU offices which returned nothing.

so at this stage, there is no record of my defect i can trace, and although i have a roadworthy (got one anyway, complete instead of just the defects ticked off i found i need a new steering rack and windscreen) i cannot get rid of the defect because vic roads has no records.

so i am driving around in a defected car which SHOULD have suspended rego... but doesnt, with a rwc in my glovebox dated last week just incase i get pulled over.

in other news i hit the engine bay with some mag and aliminium polish today and it has cleaned it up pretty well. also a few reccomendations -
comwreck - opposite essendon airport on the Tulla
allcomm - roberna st off of keys rd, a pretty expensive but had parts comwreck couldnt supply.
centre road pick a part - these guys have a heap o vls and let me take a couple of handfulls of bolts and clips for free, always good as these are the hardest parts to find.

also took my calais over to C.O.M.E. racing today with a mate from the magna club and took some photos on my camera, my mate didnt seem to appreciate the fact he was standing outside of one of the sweetest workshops around for custom aussie engines.
Old 24-06-07, 19:54   #13
whtbt1.88
Player

Car: driving a"better" batmobile than yours ;)
Trader Rating: (5)
Where abouts did u cop the defect in an underground carpark?
whtbt1.88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-07, 21:10   #14
KALAY
Fear is exciting for me

Car: VL Calais
Trader Rating: (4)
underground car part? i thought it was private property, but its actually a "highway" so unless signed its 50 km/h speed limit
KALAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-07, 20:16   #15
SIroller
CAL.415

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD_WoG
underground car part? i thought it was private property, but its actually a "highway" so unless signed its 50 km/h speed limit
it's monash university property, underground carpark, the po were getting pies from the bakery for lunch, as i said, dropped the accelerator around the corner, (more whoa than go really as its a 390,000km old rb30 on gas) and as i was getting my h/u face off i got a knock on my window.

rear end of the calais is off at the moment.
stripped the rear end (taillights, garnish, rear moulds, eyebrows, boot is stripped out and is awaiting rust converter, bitumen paint and washed carpet.)
also i polished up all of the rear quarter with auto glym. looking really good.
also the door moulds and chrome have been removed, i am going to try to repaint them, (see if i can handle reopaqinting) if i can do the doormoulds i will also do the front and rear bumpers and top moulds.

while having a look through my spare parts from the last owner i have:
NOS drivers front bottom calais doormould
NOS drivers front top calais doormould
NOS drivers front bumper upper mould

i am thinking i will put the above parts aside and just use 2nd hand parts for the resto and save the NOS for someone who will appreciate them.

photos of the clean up of the rear end soon (hopefully)
Old 13-09-07, 21:50   #16
SIroller
CAL.415

ok heres an update -
the car has been rolling on some vyss fronts and vr acclaim hubbies over 15" ceptor rears for a few weeks now but after some weekend driving i realised the extra width of the vyss rims didn't counterpoint the fact they had abouit 30% tread on them, oh and the inside is bald as crap from having a locked diff.

so while that loked mean and was fun i am back to the old calais rims, (who is complaining)

the soundsystem is in and pictures are in the thread "siroller's soundsystem finally finioshed, pics inside" in the audio section,

next on the menu is vs front slotted discs and finned caliper's all round (same brakes as vl turbo front)

the car did C4C4 and that was awesome fun, that was the first time the car got a good run in its current form. all nice and new looking with resprayed bumpers and lower door moulds.

bad news is wednesday (yesterday) i was changing a cd while stopped in traffic and while looking for some ac/dc my foot wasnt on the brek hard enough, car started rolling forward (was in Drive) and i hit some piece of... falcon, it looks like the bumper mounts were broken but niether the driver or i knew if they were like that before, didn't do much damage to my car but i screwed the paint on the front drivers side bumper mould and the centre mould has a tiny crack and yeah, i am really dissapointed about that and so is my father who did alll of that work for me i feel so guilty. i really need to pay more attention, just not use to driving an auto!

well apart from that i got some floor mats from a beemer and am just enjoying driving the car at the moment. hopefully work over the christmas holidays fro uni will pay for some bits and pieces, the brake upgrade and maybe a new bar centre, although i think i had better make sure i pay for the repairs to the ford first (pfft, what goes around comes around i suppose, just keeping the p plater accident stats up)

cheerio boys and girls, keep an eye out for me at bathurst, roll me on my side if i have passed out.
Old 14-10-07, 21:09   #17
SIroller
CAL.415

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIroller
ok heres an update -

next on the menu is vs front slotted discs and finned caliper's all round (same brakes as vl turbo front)

cheerio boys and girls, keep an eye out for me at bathurst, roll me on my side if i have passed out.
aht, the drive to bathurst went down well, i got to the border (lake mulwala) and i was 100km away from ticking over 400,000 6 hours later i made it to bathurst and i was still 55km away from 400,000. so yeah, the tacho has died but i suppose it is about time.

on the other hand holidays are coming up and i have about 4-4 and a half days a week at the caryard i work at and a chance to try my hand at being a salesman, im really looking forward to it and the boss even mentioned commision. so on the list this holidays is
1. slotted rotors and vs calipers with new pads and a caliper rebuild kit
2. some wider rims

and the rest in no particular order (probably won't be able to aford everything) sway bars and lowered susp + shocks, viper 3 point immobiliser and pager, (haven't even priced this yet) hopefully with the immobiliser i will be able to negotiate an agreed value rather than the price i paid for the car, (which was an absolute steal.)

also thanks to gmvk50 i got myself a vk centre garnish and taillights from a calais that's being wrecked.

cheers fellas. - Mitcham
Old 15-10-07, 01:05   #18
whtbt1.88
Player

Car: driving a"better" batmobile than yours ;)
Trader Rating: (5)
What happened to the buttons on the interior?
whtbt1.88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-07, 19:34   #19
SIroller
CAL.415

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbt1.88
What happened to the buttons on the interior?
sorry but... "huh?"

if you mean why do i not have butons it, that is because it is a series 1 calais which doesn't have buttons, (but i assume being a gold member you already know that) if you are reffering to the thread in the VIC section about the calais interior at the wreckers, it wasn't me who took all of the vl buttons, someone got them before i saw the car, in fact i was saying that destroying an interior by partly stripping it is sacreilige. - Mitcham
Old 20-10-07, 19:30   #20
SIroller
CAL.415

hey fellas, news from about 3;50 am this morning, my car has ben declared unroadworthy by TMU.

i stuck around to long at a bit of a car meet and ended up with a bunch of worked of of their guts skylines in a tmu trap. i didnt't get a defect or a notice to get a rwc, but i did get declared unroadworthy for -
movement in the seats (same as before, the seat wobbles, not due to rail tightness but the adjuster for the backrest angle is worn
cables hanging under dash, (those black blanking plates that go under your feet aren't on the car, never put them back on when i put the new carpet in)
no LPG gas plate on the numberplates, easily fixed.
rear tyres are "all chewed up" so 2 new tyres which is easy i have lots lying around.

have to have it all fixed by the 27th, but on the other hand i think i nnow have an idea what the car scene use to be like before noble riots. and the vl scene isn't dieing, they were everywhere on the highway last night and i would say the popularity of skylines which were also everywhere also shows the popularity of the rb30 - Mitcham
Old 22-10-07, 14:24   #21
ShakyT
Player

Car: Walky 211
so what did your old man say when you told him???

f**ing idiot???? !!!!
ShakyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-07, 14:29   #22
ANK
BANNED

Car: stolen wrx sti
Trader Rating: (7)
s1roller where were u on friday night i would have picked ur car a mile off as i see it most days
ANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-07, 14:36   #23
SIroller
CAL.415

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyT
so what did your old man say when you told him???

f**ing idiot???? !!!!
yeah something along thiose lines dad.

ank - friday night started in glen waverly, (drove along burwood road,) then drove to the pool room in ferntree gully, then i headed back into the city along the princess and ended up chilling around either beaumont tiles / hungry jacks on the hwy or warrigal rd shell. then ofcourse the stuff that went down moorabin way.
Old 22-10-07, 14:41   #24
ANK
BANNED

Car: stolen wrx sti
Trader Rating: (7)
i was located at shell for a good length of time and did not see your car and was out all night
ANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-07, 15:10   #25
SIroller
CAL.415

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANK
i was located at shell for a good length of time and did not see your car and was out all night
got to the shell at about 2.30 at a guess? i was with a group with an ae86 sprinter, (panda colour scheme) 3 skylines, did have a black magna sports at one stage, the hj and beaumont tiles we were at was just opposite a BP, and i didn't see your car either (or not the vl anyway) i only saw a few yellow bt1s and calaiss