Go Back   calaisturbo.com.au > Readers Rides > VL Turbos
JD CUSTOM

Old 08-06-11, 02:03   #1
samsSL
Gold Members

Trader Rating: (0)
My 88 VL SLT Dream Project

Hi guys,

So ive been meaning to post this for a while but anyways after walking past this cosmetically wrecked, almost abandoned looking VL on my way to school everyday i started thinking about what i would do to it if it was mine. it wasnt for sale, but it had to be mine. it had been broken into pretty badly, they seeemed to not know what they were doing and just cut alot of important wiring and the stole headdeck, tacho, boost gauge and turbo timer. Eventually somehow or another i met the owner randomly and he said he was planning on selling it, i offered him 2g and he took it xD

Car was as follows when i bought it
1988 VL SL 260 000km on the clock, High Compression turbo conversion, engine fully rebuilt (just over 2000ks ago) t3 turbo (running 10psi), 3" exhaust with hi flow cat and 4" dumper, advanced timing, colder range NGK spark plugs, bosch high performance leads, 25 spline LSD, Manual turbo computer, K&N pod filter, cold air intake, 5spd manual VL turbo (mx7) gearbox, new clutch and machined flywheel (1000kms old), 16" black vr4 simmons (damaged, but i do plan on getting them repaired)

And after i buffed it all up, the paints actually in mad condition (alpine white paint, resprayed by previous owner) These 3 photos are the day i bought the car (it didnt start, but i pushed it to the the mechanic 100m down the road)

Since then ive got
Brand new bumper, moulding and clips
Brand new calais tail lights, headlights and indicators
Brand new boost gauge, tacho , headdeck and a nice 30 megawatt hour battery
Replaced all the smashed interior panels from the break in, as well as a new indicator arm and a couple switches
Rewired pretty much the whole dash myself as it was a ****heap down there, again because of the break in
My good mates dad is a chromer so I got a my windscreen wipers and gear stick chromed for free.
A set of cheapo rims until I do something about those simmons
Tinted windows, venetian blinds (quarter and rear)

I plan on changing to an rb25 head, forging the bottom end, forged conrods and pistons. But in then mean time Iíve got rego coming up in a month, new intercooler is going in just after and at the moment shes at my mates shop getting the bottom half done a lightning Ford silver with a bit of a personal touch. Ill keep you guys updated with some better pics but for now...

samsSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 17:42   #2
samsSL
Gold Members

Finally sourced a front left runner for the front bumper and all back brackets after looking for AGES. So i'll be putting it all together this week, for now she looks like a dragster hehe

[/IMG]

---------- Post added 10-06-11 at 14:15 ----------

After a lot of thinking today, Ive decided to invest in a new rear diff. Im just wondering if it would be a good idea to put it in before or after rego? This is what im looking at http://www.modyourcar.com.au/b6/kaaz...ar-2-way-p4726

Thoughts? At the moment ive got the non turbo diff (25 spline lsd) which has taken some pretty bad hits.
Old 22-06-11, 17:25   #3
samsSL
Gold Members

Update:

Update:

Got her back from the shop not even an hour ago, gave her a clean and my god what a difference. Seeing as todays the shortest day of the year and the suns goneee already. Pics soon xD (tommorow if im not lazy)
Old 24-06-11, 17:00   #4
samsSL
Gold Members

Didnt get home in time last night to take a good piccy and the suns pretty much down already. But heres a quick one for now
New rear diffs still first on the list as well as a VT brake upgrade. Ive managed to source a new diff but the brakes im still unsure of, would it be worth going new aswell? or second hand ?

Cheers

---------- Post added 24-06-11 at 17:03 ----------

too keen, aha here yas go

---------- Post added 24-06-11 at 17:26 ----------

Another quick one while i can haha couldnt resist

Old 24-06-11, 20:34   #5
leb vlt
Roll Cage Territory

Car: 10.8 @ 121 mph
Trader Rating: (62)
Send a message via MSN to leb vlt
ur making gd progress mate, but u should have left the bottom half white, sl/berlina spec.

HEKTIK FENCING, hit us up for a free quote 0403307549
leb vlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-11, 20:53   #6
BUD
ICEMAN

Car: VL berlina x2
Trader Rating: (1)
Lucky buy mate well done
BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-11, 11:46   #7
CossonVL
runs 11s.. over 100m

Car: '76 Corolla [SOLD] 1987 VLB [SOLD] Camry [SOLD] '13 Holden Cruze SRI
good progress mate, keep it up!
Old 25-06-11, 15:12   #8
samsSL
Gold Members

Cheers fellas i am pretty happy with how she looks but thats as far as Im going with cosmetics, I even plan on keeping those 6 spoke 15" rims all round for daily use. Haha i was actually planning on just spraying the trims on the doors but i just couldnt help myself aye, white over silver looks boss.

I realized i havent shown the interior yet, the drivers seat was replaced by the last owner and i do plan on changing that back to stock. But she sits as is:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-07-11, 14:09   #9
samsSL
Gold Members

calais rims chyeaa

Decided i prefered calais rims so i managed to pick up a set of 5 calais rims today for 80 bucks haha, cheering. Thats 2 weeks of trolling ebay for ya xD just need some new tyres and walls. I'm still abit iffy about rego so im gonna clean up my boot abit, at the moment its looking hell dodgy. So some new carpets getting done along with a bit of rust converter . Ill get some before and after pics up

---------- Post added 08-07-11 at 12:46 ----------

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 16-07-11, 17:08   #10
samsSL
Gold Members

rego fun

So i went for rego on Wednesday, got home from work to find one of the rims was flat, so i chucked it in the boot and put on a ceptor and off i went. Ended up rocking up 15 minutes late and they didnt seem to like me much after that. Tint tests, bulb tests, head light tests, noise test, and on. But long story short they only got me on a few little electrical things which ive aleady fixed up, and amazingly didnt say anything about my pod filter or coldair intake which i was too busy stressing about, so i was cheering mostly. But a few of the more technical ones are as follows

Loose front coil springs
Loose tailshaft bolts
Remove the adjustable boost valve
Rear brake imbalance

So i got a 1 week pass to drive it around and i just got home a couple hours ago from dropping it off. Another inspection will be carried out next week if all goes to plan. Fingers crossed this time haha. Till next time boys
Old 16-07-11, 17:35   #11
Nukz
When in doubt, mumble.

Car: PSI-30L (413rwhp) (SOLD)
Trader Rating: (16)
You do realise that they arent vl calais rims right?? They're off a vp

"I choose NOT to run!"
Nukz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-11, 19:03   #12
samsSL
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukz View Post
You do realise that they arent vl calais rims right?? They're off a vp
My cars not a calais i paid $80 plus i prefer walls on the vp, the ring around the edge sets it off if imo
Old 29-07-11, 20:47   #13
samsSL
Gold Members

Time for an update.

Replaced front springs, as previous owner had only put rear king springs in after cutting them both.
Put the horn in, derrr haha
Got the rims all new tyres
Got the adjustable boost valve taken off and the rear drums got a work and a couple little things so shes all good for rego again on monday. So fingers crossed this time, heres a pic of the new rims xD
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-08-11, 16:54   #14
samsSL
Gold Members

So as i said last week (ive been a bit busy this week) i had rego on monday. I failed

Seemed everything was going great, EVERYTHING i failed for last time was getting ticked off the list. Apparantly last time the bloke who did it ran out of space in the "problems" section so he forgot to write that i needed to change my diff and get discs at the back, even though one of the problems on the list already was to balance rear drums? So i went out and spent a chunk of money on my drums for no reason, so i wasnt real happy come monday lol.

But i was onto it, drove her over to M and A Engineering on my way home, he gave me a quote for a reconditioned 28 Spline VN V8 LSD diff with a set of new pads and rotars and a new pair of control arm bushings and i ended up just leaving her there that day. I really wanted to get it registered within a month of the first attempt because then they cant make any new problems up, they do seem to really dislike me there haha.

Friday afternoon i went over and paid for it, the 1 week pass i had to drive it around had expired so shes sitting there till tuesday, rego dayy.

Also did a bit of poking around this arvo and managed to find an old thread by the last owner http://calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=175577
haha.. im glad there was no neons on it when i bought it . tad different but aye. Any comments would be sweet but anyway till next time boys.
Old 07-08-11, 00:21   #15
Born2xlr8
SirGeo's Bitch

Car: VLCT-86
Trader Rating: (5)
pretty bad crease above the back wheel there, hope shes not bent

Interested in starting a Car club for the SE Sub's of Vic Brettvella@bigpond.com
Born2xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 20:06   #16
samsSL
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2xlr8 View Post
pretty bad crease above the back wheel there, hope shes not bent
Yeah i got it all sussed out, seems the control arm bushings were pretty shot, so i got them replaced. But apart from that shes still straight, just another thing on the neverending list right
Old 08-08-11, 07:35   #17
Born2xlr8
SirGeo's Bitch

Car: VLCT-86
Trader Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsSL View Post
just another thing on the neverending list right
you got that right, were dealing with 25year old cars here, the best u can do is fix whatever ****s up and hope for a nice long gap between problems, oh and once u get it reg'd Never forget to pay it,

Interested in starting a Car club for the SE Sub's of Vic Brettvella@bigpond.com
Born2xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 19:27   #18
samsSL
Gold Members

Passed! Not a worry at all, ive been cruising around all arvo and i swear the LSD was well worth the extra dosh. Ill get some piccys once the rims have had a polish and got some walls and that dings come out. Keep tight
Old 16-09-11, 12:11   #19
samsSL
Gold Members

updateeee

So ive been pretty busy since getting registered, but i havent driven the girl in about a week or 2 now because the clutch fcked itself somehow. No idea how seeing as the bloke sold it to me with a new clutch and fly wheel and i haven't even had a chance to give the girl an actual good flog, but oh well vls aye.

Sooo at the moment I'm just waiting until Tuesday next week which is when ive got it booked in to get the new clutch, and that bleedvalve that i had to take off for rego is getting put back on at the same, aswell as a dyno tune.

I went and splurged on ebay the other night, bought some things i thought someone would have pointed out by now haha. So ive got a bunch of suprises for you guys coming in the mail. Some which actually came today so ill get some piccys up sooon
Old 16-09-11, 12:53   #20
Andy-30L
Official Member

Trader Rating: (9)
pm'd you about those old wheels you had on it mate...
Andy-30L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-11, 22:27   #21
samsSL
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-30L View Post
pm'd you about those old wheels you had on it mate...
Hi mate you mightn't be interested, the car came with a set of 3 on her so if you'd like to take them off my hands, just holla because im coming through sydney tommorow funnily enough. pm me your number if your keen
Old 19-09-11, 18:28   #22
samsSL
Gold Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsSL View Post
So ive been pretty busy since getting registered, but i havent driven the girl in about a week or 2 now because the clutch fcked itself somehow. No idea how seeing as the bloke sold it to me with a new clutch and fly wheel and i haven't even had a chance to give the girl an actual good flog, but oh well vls aye.

Sooo at the moment I'm just waiting until Tuesday next week which is when ive got it booked in to get the new clutch, and that bleedvalve that i had to take off for rego is getting put back on at the same, aswell as a dyno tune.

I went and splurged on ebay the other night, bought some things i thought someone would have pointed out by now haha. So ive got a bunch of suprises for you guys coming in the mail. Some which actually came today so ill get some piccys up sooon
Camera i borrowed off a mate is being a bitchh, so ill just tell you guys because today i got some more goodies.
Mud flaps,
Chrome interior door handles,
new boot seal,
new tail lights and garnish,
manual gearstick glove,
rear monroe lower shocks and new springs are going in at the same time,
new petrol cap with key entry
matching gmh commodore key ring and gearstick
glovebox mirror, which i hadn't seen before i stimbled upon it on ebay
set of white wall inserts for when i get my rims back, take a look http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280729492...ht_3419wt_1139
And a pretty sexy looking airconditioning unit, possibly from a walkinshaw maybe, check itt [IMG][/IMG]
Photos , when i manage to get my hands on a decent camera
Old 27-10-11, 11:56   #23
samsSL
Gold Members

So over the last couple weeks i have come to the conclusion that i would like to safely make more power, without having to worry about my n/a block just karking it. So that means an a8 block's on the list, which i have been looking on ebay for, but so far no luck. if anyone knows of anyone thats willing to post to Canberra I have the dosh, no fck arounds.

What has lead me to this conclusion? well a few incidents have occurred lately - the clutch being the first to go and i know what you're thinking, that ive just been flogging it since i got it registered haha, but no this is not the case. The turbo convert was done by a different bloke, seperately to the rebuild and respray...when he upgraded to the mx7 he left the n/a clutch in there ..which of course did not last long.

So i got a new clutch right, nice turbo button-cushion one, driving it round a couple days after and im just exiting off this roundabout turbos just kicked in and i hear this bang from my engine, so i pullover and my cars puffing a fck load of smoke.. I got it towed back to the guys who did my clutch as i assumed they messed with something. Turns out that one of those metal mesh and surrounding ring that goes on each side of the afm got sucked into my manifold. lucky i stopped the car and got it towed otherwise it would have ended up in my cylinders..

But anyway what i actually came here to tell you guys about, i bought a Series200 vl yesterday, i'm getting it towed back to mine in about an hour so ill take a few piccys, the front is abit smashed in but other than that the car is a steal i reckon. For those that don't know what the series 200 is, sl looking, chamagne gold over cream, calais extras like powerwindows, central locking, power steering with a cross between berlina and calais trim. I plan on swapping my current interior with this aswell as power windows and central locking.

Ill take a couple photos this arvo

---------- Post added 27-10-11 at 20:26 ----------

Prettty good 200 bucks right...

If anyone needs any parts give us a yell, only plan on keeping the interior.
Old 30-10-11, 22:08   #24
samsSL
Gold Members

First of all
http://calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=112866

This article is GOLD for a slow motor, not the mention the diagram when putting the rear doors in! I read countless times over a few threads that the rear doors are kents to get it, so i did them first along with the central locking devices. As for the front, so far ive only managed to put the drivers door assembley in, but the plan is the finish that last door off tommorow so i can run and connect the loom and put the new trim on.

Also new carpet is going in before i put the other seats into it (going to be selling old blue interior on ebay unless anyone wants on here..)

ill upload a photo when the trims on the first door, so till next time fellas.
Old 03-11-11, 12:28   #25
samsSL
Gold Members

Update. Drivers side of the car is all wired up and loomed in, all that remains is running the loom into the rear passenger door and firewall.

Interior chrome door handles ive had for a good month or 2 went in finally

Tidied up the wiring under my dash hectik

This is kinda for me here but heres a look a my new cluster, its got rpm as you can see so that gross tacho i had going before is gone. but this is mainly for if i were to ever sell my car, the new owner would know exactly when the dash was switched.